Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Zariusz

Arbiter
They should should ask for help some old experienced modder teams and change that color palete. Armour looks kinda generic, Gothic armour was more grounded and designs were iconic.

I hope its not Arcania 2.0 but i dont think its possible to be this bad.
Well atleast we still have History Of Khorinis.

Black

Arcane
1576270509890.png

Here's your remake bro.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hope that will not be ArcaniA 2.0 and that they will maintain the old games on stores.

Anyway, looks like they will have spongee enemies https://youtu.be/sWYMr7TMmio?t=2838

How many hits to down a single enemy....

I really wanna see the magic system too and the armor design. Please no Carnavalesque wow armor design. Please, maintain armor absorving a flat amount . Please. No cooldowns on magic nor summon limit.

I'm glad they gave this to the spaniards. They have superior genetics and consequently higher IQ than germans. This will be GOTY 2022 for sure.

The highest average IQ on Europe is Italy(102 - https://brainstats.com/average-iq-by-country.html ), Spain is only one point bellow Germany. On Americas, only US/Canada/Uruguay has a average IQ above 95.

Onionguy

Educated
As as citizen of Potatoland, where Gothic is worshiped beyond any rational measures, I take it as a personal insult. It's absolutely fucking disgusting in its every aspect, from the the bland artsyle to the "elite" dialogue tree. It's very existence hurts my religious feelings. There will be 3 days national mourning in Potatoland when it releases.

Murk

Arcane
What in the fuck... and the voice acting is annoying as hell, too.

I'd honestly rather play a gothic 1 remade in risen 1 than this.

bloodlover

Arcane
Honestly, I am not sold. Even if, somehow many will like this and somehow it's made into a proper game, the question is: WHY? Yeah G1 is far from perfect but remaking the game like this is totally pointless. Modern gamers don't go near the old Gothic games and the people that played them already won't like this anyway since they can always replay the originals so what's the point?

Also, it looks too bright, shiny and rich. The comments on the YT vid is full of people writing about how far off it looks in terms of atmosphere.

cloudropis

Educated
Please, maintain armor absorving a flat amount .
Fuck no, that's always the dirt worst idea for an ARPG

Anyway, uninstalled. It runs like absolute shit at the lowest settings and I sort of get it because demo made in three months and all, but it's legitimately hard to play without throwing up. Plus, they turned the progaonist into a quippy MCU character. At the very least he's still uncapable of wielding a sword properly.
Now to wait for my Risen refund :rpgcodex: (I keep PB games on GoG)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only watching the melee combat in the video above at 48 min. I get it. People heavily criticize G1/2 melee combat by being too arcaic. Use For Honor or Dark Souls as a inspiration is not a bad idea. But please. Copy the low health from DS games and the fact that drink takes time too..

• Too much hit points for a SNAPER
  • Too much screen shake
  • Enemy deals too little damage on a unarmored nameless hero
  • Too minutes to kill a starting enemy is too much, gothic is a game where you kill and die quickly but fight a lot of enemies at higher levels
  • The hero eated in middle of combat. It makes no sense. On Gothic, if you wanna use potions/eat, you need to run to have time to use it.
Fuck no, that's always the dirt worst idea for an ARPG

Worst idea? No, it makes perfectly sense. I can't deal any damage in a fire magician with a fire bolt, but can with a storm of fire, because the fire robe absorbs in flat amount.

Armor absorbing in percentage is awful. Makes a sword and a warhammer wielded by a 2.5m tall orc equally effective vs a heavy plate armor. On FNV, a SMG outDPS a rifle with AP rounds vs unarmored targets but is useless vs heavily armored enemies and i love it. Percentage reduction homogenizes armor, progression, spells and weaponry.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

That's not the original Gothic there, it has some shaders on.
That said: the remake looks like ass, Gothic with shaders looks far better. The remake looks NOTHING like the original, the entire atmosphere and artstyle was thrown out of the window.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
potatoes are upset they won't be able to play this game until 2043 based on current potatoland computer technology

potatoes are upset at this because gothic 1 is a massive cult classic in poland, mostly due to its fantastic polish localization and voice acting. this looks like an insult compared to what PB makes

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I really liking this Skyrim mod , props for the creators. It's really high quality so far.

Jk asides ,looks okay , needs to be more darker and gloomy. It's too bright compared to the OG.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
- Main charactaer is another modern PB smug idiot who talks to himself constantly like in Risens, I hate him, nothing like the likeable original hero
- For some strange reason Rhobar acts like an angry child in the intro instead of sitting in thought, what's the purpose of this change?
- Removing iconic intro where you talk to the judge and the mage in exchange for dumb michael bay explosions and muh "tension"
- Items now have signs above them and don't show their names once you approach them, I find this change esthetically unpleasant, it makes exploration more mechanical
- Locations seem... over abundant with things and details, not sure if gothic would like that if it was initialy made with modern technology, probably just overusage of free Unreal Engine item libraries. Things should be a bit more clean and conservative in design.
- Inventory has been bastardized beyond believe, entire new menu that pauses the game and has many stupid tabs, you cant even interact with items normally, why would anyone choose this worst type of inventory design, gothic 2/3 had incredibly intuitive, not hindering inventory menu. It's immersion breaking and reminds me a of shit like risen 2/3.
- Fucking dialogue wheel. Even Skyrim didn't fall that low.
- Voice acting is bad, but that's not that much of an issue (though MC is especially annoying)
- You can kill beetles just by clicking at them instead of trying to hit them with weapons, so that's nice I guess.

TL;DR
Just give me something for the pain and let me die.
And don't give me 'itz alfa demo" shit, this is what they chose to show, their idea of how to remake the game and what they deemed important to share with us. And it sucks. I'd rather see that nothing come out of this than endure another modern Piranha RPG.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't understand why most modern (higher budget) 3D games are so blurry, it hurts my eyes. The Nameless Hero somehow looks like a less handsome version of Anders from Dragon Age.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyone here liked this ultra shaking bullet spongee melee combat?

But lets suppose that they maintain the original story at least. If SJW's complained due the lack of Afropolish citizens on Witcher 3, imagine how they will react to woman being literally products

Impressive for a project that presumably took 90 days to make but I really can't stand the aesthetic of Unreal Engine 4. That's my one note for THQN, stay the fuck away from UE4 and let PB continue investing in their tech.
The aesthetic is literally the least of its problems.
In fact I would mostly be fine with the current look. The problem is everything else.

This prototype is almost antithetical to anything that made Gothic a classic.
Over-exposition, overly chatty NPCs, a protagonist that never quits spouting annoying quips or describing what's going on, an invasive UI leading you by the nose, "architectonic barriers" made by shit like "three crates in a row", chest-high barriers you can't climb over, fences that don't let you pass below them even when crouching and looking like you should be able to, the fact that you can't actually fall off a bridge/cliff but you'll find yourself running against an invisible wall, getting a weapon and fighting dangerous enemies from the get go instead of making clear from the beginning that you are NOT special and in fact weak as a kitten at first, etc, etc.

Even with its limited and now extremely dated tech one thing the Gothic games sold you from the first moment was the illusion to be a in a physically consistent 3D space.
This demo throws that idea out of the window from the very first steps in this world. Everything in this scenery feels like cardboard set that breaks the illusion every time it's put to test.

It's not just bad, it feels almost insulting to think that someone worked on this and genuinely thought "We are totally updating a dated design", as the dev message at the beginning suggested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom