Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What the hell is this autistic voice acting, and why does he pause after each sentence?
He sounds like he's trying to constantly make innuendoes.

"Never leave the camps without being well ..... equipped"

The way he says it makes it seem like he's referring to the PC's dick size.

"And my job..... is to give you rookies...... an opportunity"

Is that an invitation for sex?

cloudropis

Educated
Worst idea? No, it makes perfectly sense. I can't deal any damage in a fire magician with a fire bolt, but can with a storm of fire, because the fire robe absorbs in flat amount.

Armor absorbing in percentage is awful. Makes a sword and a warhammer wielded by a 2.5m tall orc equally effective vs a heavy plate armor. On FNV, a SMG outDPS a rifle with AP rounds vs unarmored targets but is useless vs heavily armored enemies and i love it. Percentage reduction homogenizes armor, progression, spells and weaponry.
That's all good for a turn based game, but in an action game, theoretically built around player skill rather than character skill, flat damage reduction sucks. Just look at Dragon's Dogma, or BotW, you are either so underequipped that mastery of the game's systems is irrilevant as you'll be stuck doing chip damage, or so overpowered that you are free to detach yourself completely from the combat as you'll melt anything anyway.
I don't want another Gothic 1/2 where your defensive options suck, enemies don't telegraph for shit, you can't reliably deal nor avoid damage and with random spurs of completely unneeded RNG. If you want to make an action RPG use the template of the actually good ones, that managed to make good player skill systems while also throwing a bone to the RPG players who want to see numbers go up and improve passively (because not every % reduction game is fucked up like Skyrim is), that released in the last 20 years like the Souls games or Nioh.

Morkar Left

Fans wanting to see another Gothic game and after so many years and the Forsaken Gods/Arcania debacles inbetween they are presenting this?
That goes a long way to improve your ip value. Huge balls or huge stupidity. Decide for yourself.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That's all good for a turn based game, but in an action game, theoretically built around player skill rather than character skill, flat damage reduction sucks. Just look at Dragon's Dogma, or BotW, you are either so underequipped that mastery of the game's systems is irrilevant as you'll be stuck doing chip damage, or so overpowered that you are free to detach yourself completely from the combat as you'll melt anything anyway.

Only because a game did flat badly, doesn't means that Gothic 1/2/3, Fallout New Vegas and tons of other games did flat reduction badly. NEver played BotW but Dragon's Dogma problem is not the damage reduction is the huge inflation and how weapon is important on your damage.. Finding a better magic bow made me deal almost 4 times more damage vs the same enemy

Look to Gothic 1, where the deadliest fire spell(Storm of Fire) deals 500 fire damage if fully charged. Not charged deals 50 damage.

stormoffirer.gif

On G1, a regular Axe deals 29 damage and the best axe, 65.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well for one it good that this isn't a sure project and that they are willing to hear the fans opinion (even only giving this acess to people that have played the original).
But a look of stuff here seems like trying ripping off from what IP's and ideas are popular/profitable rigth now, instead of trying to faithfully recreate the original titles.

I'm glad they gave this to the spaniards. They have superior genetics and consequently higher IQ than germans. This will be GOTY 2022 for sure.

Don't get your hopes up though, Spaniards all have a spark of incompetence within them. This has been a known fact to all Portuguese since the medieval ages...

However they did made a game with a infinetely better combat system before Gothic 1:

For one one of the shittest and best part of game was actually combat. Shittiest because it was clunky shit that barely worked, the best because it had really nice ideas in it like learning pattern of enemies, actually learning moves you want to use etc. which was novelty in pre-DS era.

Learning the move's input and properties has something every figthing game already did in the 90's

Learning the enemies behaviour and "atributtes" has something action games did since Doom.

Doing both those things at the same time is something every damn Hack 'n' Slash before DS have done, and Severance did it before Gothic 1.

Back in 2017 when For Honor came out I told myself it'd be pretty cool if a single player game used a similar combat system and that seemed to have triggered the monkey's paw.
I'm sorry for having done this to you all.

For Honor's combat is good.
The problem is that the quality of hack 'n' slash combat systems heavily depend on their polish.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fans wanting to see another Gothic game and after so many years and the Forsaken Gods/Arcania debacles inbetween they are presenting this?
That goes a long way to improve your ip value. Huge balls or huge stupidity. Decide for yourself.

In Argentina we have a term for someone who is both at the same time: boludo.

THQ Nordic are a bunch of boludos, let me tell you.

Swigen

Arbiter
Heard a lot of good things about this series. Guess I’ll download the demo and see what all the fuss is about.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Heard a lot of good things about this Fallout series. Guess I'll download Fallout 76 and see what all the fuss is about.

Murk

Arcane
On screen quest markers, a visual style that abandons all atmosphere or semblance of being 'gothic', shit awful voice acting, a bizarre fascination with leather strapped shoulder pads...

... what in the fuck, why do this? Just make a separate game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tested the demo. Is not bad, but is not good as Gothic 1.

• Be able to drink potions and eat food in mid combat without being exposed to attacks is a HUGE decline
  • Enemies has way too much health, snappers should die in two hits not two minutes vs a low level pc
  • The area is too confused
  • Voice acting is too slow, unnatural and takes a very long time
  • The introductory cut-scene is ridiculous long
  • The combat animations are too slow,
  • At least they maintained the attributes but i don't know if they will tie it to gear or something awful.
  • No opinions on magic but i will hate if it comes with cooldowns or other modern BS
  • The UI is AWFUL. IS too much controller focused and the dialog wheel is awful for a keyboard and mouse
  • The armor design of some NPCs are awful. Not wow level of awfullness but still very awful. They should copy Gothic 3 assets instead of Using this type of armor.
I really wanna see the magic. All gothic games, except Arcania have good magic. Some screenshots
IbACiiT.png

o1fCZu7.png

IMO if a generic mmo is 1/10 and Gothic 1 is 9.75/10, this Gothic remake would probably be between 5~7/10.

PS : I an not against "modernized combat", with spongee enemies, cooldown and everything else that i particularly hate. Just make it OPTIONAL

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not PB... so... dunno if I'm even going to install. Might have hidden Denuvo or some shit.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I get that THQ thinks a remaster of Gothic might sell. But why do they hire some Spanish faggots instead of PB to make it (probably time and money)?

:betrayed:

Murk

Arcane
"right okay right right right okay right"

FFS who wrote this dialog?

And if people complained about the FOV in G1/G2, jeeesus this game is worse (and you can't even zoom out... it's a demo, I get it, but my god.)

I'm even willing to forgive the fact that literally 0 textures loaded in for me but the scripted intro (after the cutscene, the part where you walk around with a torch). Just everything feels wrong.

edit: how the fuck did they make even worse combat.

This is nine kinds of retarded, why defile an old franchise -- go work on something new ffs. THQNordic buys PB and this is what they pull?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If this was a full game I'd probably complete it but it'd only really come out a 6/10. Mildly positive, but nothing spectacular. It does feel like it's really someone's first Unreal Engine project or something. It needs a lot of work, but I'd like to see it come out as a full game regardless.
Being a full reimagining is definitely the right idea. Just making the original again would end up a disaster.

I actually thought the combat had the right idea. It needs to be faster, more brutal and a bit more responsive, and as someone else pointed out having menu based food and potions isn't a good idea. In any case I think it's better than the original, but that's not a high bar to set.
I dislike how locked down and closed off the world is. The original Gothic was liberal about things, there weren't a lot of invisible walls and you could just dive off a cliff when you felt like it. Reduce the invisible walls and make the world less "gamey." Piranha Bytes has generally done a good job at reasonably believable worlds, beyond gameplay considerations like not having doors on anything and keeping quest enemies just right next door to where your victim of banditos/scavengers/wolves/whatever is.
Controls aren't very responsive. Definitely need work. Make them snappier and smoother, don't go the Rockstar route where your character turns like a tank.
No quest markers. Big plus from me. Keep it that way.

Writing, dialogue and what have you are way too long winded. I dislike nearly all of it. I do like that quests have multiple outcomes, though.

The performance was wonky. It started on Ultra and I think I dropped to 26 FPS in the first cutscene, gameplay was about 30. I dropped everything to high, put Resolution Scale to 100 and put anti-aliasing to low (I really didn't like the AA implementation in this game, it looks terrible) and I think I kept it at 45 FPS throughout, although I do keep a framerate lock with Radeon Chill set at 45 minimum and 90 maximum, so that might have just bugged out since it didn't register it as a game. It doesn't look bad per se, but as I said it has that first UE project look to it and a lot of the textures look a little meh. It does have all the modern fancy rendering tricks like proper tessellated fur on the wolves and what have you. I also didn't really like the chromatic aberration or bloom too much, I'd want to turn off the former and turn down the latter.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, felt like i was playing a very generic console ARPG, not a Gothic game. Despite the dated graphics, i have much more immersion on G1 than in G1 remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom