Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Here's a tip for anyone starting a new game: turn OFF the status of your goods production; production is a huge source of materials and remaking goods you've already made in previous playthroughs doesn't give you those materials. Just turn it off if you want that extra boost to your smithing.

Also, the reward you get for making every good is pretty terrible, too, so don't think something special happens if you keep grinding at it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I progressed some more in RS3. I decided to stop messing around and closed two Abyssal gates. I'm going to do some more quests but then move on to the third one. There are a lot of characters I haven't recruited, but I'll save those for my Sarah run.

I'm also slowly progressing in Scarlet Grace. I play a few fights each day.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
https://www.rpgsite.net/review/9264-saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions-review

SaGa Scarlet Grace is an RPG that took a lot of risks, to be sure, but the end result is a fascinating RPG that you won't truly find anywhere else - one that you owe it to yourself to play. Even SaGa's normally obtuse nature isn't nearly as much of a barrier this time around, as the game comes included with Tips that can help you get started with the world. Scarlet Grace is easily the best RPG I've played this year, and might just be the most memorable game that I've played in a very long time.

Good lord. Either Square started paying off people for Saga reviews, or the series really has a legit chance this time to take off in the west.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
https://www.rpgsite.net/review/9264-saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions-review

SaGa Scarlet Grace is an RPG that took a lot of risks, to be sure, but the end result is a fascinating RPG that you won't truly find anywhere else - one that you owe it to yourself to play. Even SaGa's normally obtuse nature isn't nearly as much of a barrier this time around, as the game comes included with Tips that can help you get started with the world. Scarlet Grace is easily the best RPG I've played this year, and might just be the most memorable game that I've played in a very long time.

Good lord. Either Square started paying off people for Saga reviews, or the series really has a legit chance this time to take off in the west.

That's an enthusiast site, did any of the major ones even review it?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hmm, still not feeling persuaded to get this. Any updated thoughts?
Sparking techs is more complicated than ever - they took the Power / Speed concept from The Last Remnant and expanded it into 3-4 categories per weapon type, all with their own set of skills you can spark (once you spark they carry across weapon sub-types, not to worry), and each sub-type sparks new skills differently. In a sense it's more intuitive since you're encouraged to experiment and use the strong skills you learn instead of spending 90% of the game spamming your basic attack (while using the basic Free For All role in SF2's case) to learn a new skill you'll use for bosses and other big baddies while trash gets the A spam. But it can be frustrating when you're like me, haplessly using Rapid Volley for 10 hours trying to learn Rain of Arrows only to realize you need to use Incendiary Arrow instead on the 'special' bow type.
This is really strange, and this might not exactly be how techs are sparked, because I did spark Rain of Arrows from Rapid Volley. I am 100% certain of that, because I'd read this post before I did it and thought you couldn't spark Rain of Arrows from Rapid Volley.

It's a typical SaGa game in that nobody knows what the fuck is going on or how things actually work.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Since a bunch of these are coming to the west [edit- I should say PC], do you guys have any thoughts on a first entry to the SaGa series? Straight to the new one or should I play the classics? I don’t mind jank if the systems are fun. I prefer: character development > combat mechanics/challenge > music > story > other things.

Hyperion

Arcane
Character development? Play SaGa Frontier 2. The game is essentially split in 2: Gustav XIII and Wil Knights. Gustav's scenario is your narrative and storyfag path. He's such a Chad tho, that you'll be bummed out there isn't more gameplay with him. Wil is 100% combatfag gameplay. All SaGa games have wonderful soundtracks. The weapon sound effects from blocking, hitting enemies, certain tech uses are wonderful. The game has plenty of challenge from Laubholz Tower to a random Gryphon showing up in a low level area to ruin your shit.

If you liked FF3(6)'s World of Ruin, play Romancing SaGa 3. You pick 1 of 8 protags and are put in a spot in the world and then do most things at your own pace, with little to no direction or handholding. Each protag has characters they're restricted from recruiting. But it's OK because there's roughly 30 in total for you to choose from.

Scarlet Grace is the newest one, and seems to have been enough of a success that Kawazu has gotten his own dev team. I've gushed enough about SG and how fantastic it is, but character development is mostly non-existent - it's mostly predefined characters reacting to a changing, volatile world. At this point I'm just torn between it and SaGa Frontier 2 being my favorite if you don't count The Last Remnant as part of the series.

Edit: I recommend playing them on the Switch for maximum comfy. Nothing quite like going handheld mode and having SaGa on the shitter

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
This is really strange, and this might not exactly be how techs are sparked, because I did spark Rain of Arrows from Rapid Volley. I am 100% certain of that, because I'd read this post before I did it and thought you couldn't spark Rain of Arrows from Rapid Volley.
You can spark RoA from RV if you're using the Standard Bow type. If you're using Special it's Incendiary Arrow. If you can do it with a 'special' type bow, the chances are miniscule, because like I said, I used Rapid Volley so much it hit Rank 2 with no luck. When I looked it up and saw Incendiary Arrow sparks it for special-type, it glimmered within 5 uses.

kamikouryaku.com/saga_sg/

You have to translate from moonrune, but the info seems to be 100% accurate thus far.

Kaivokz

Arcane
At this point I'm just torn between it and SaGa Frontier 2 being my favorite if you don't count The Last Remnant as part of the series.
Thanks for the advice.

I loved The Last Remnant, but I didn’t realize it had anything to do with SaGa. Tsuyoshi Sekito wrote an awesome soundtrack for it, and I think he also added some guitar or arrangements to Minstrel Song in the past. I enjoy Ryuji Sasai and Kenji Ito‘s works. I guess a guy named Masashi Hamauzu composed the soundtrack for Frontier 2, but I’ve never heard of him.

I actually just remembered I have played a SaGa game before—Final Fantasy Legend III on gameboy, which I guess is SaGa 3? That was a long time ago but I remember having fun with the crazy “eat monsters to become monsters” thing.

The Frontier games haven’t been rereleased at all? Hmm... SaGa Frontier 2 sounds appealing, but scarlet grace and Romancing SaGa 3 are on the switch...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd recommend playing them in chronological order. But my personal favorite game in the series is Romancing SaGa 3.

Hamazu is one of my favorite composers. He also made the Unlimited Saga OST, and he's worked on other Square Enic games. He also made the OST for the SaGa copy cats, Legend of Legacy and The Alliance Alive.

Jinn

Arcane
Legend of Legacy and The Alliance Alive.

By the way, have you played these? I'm intrigued by something trying to be SaGa-like. With Alliance Alive coming out on steam in about a month, I'm wondering if I should be interested.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I have played Legend of Legacy. It's more or less a SaGa ripoff that focues 99% on combat and exploration. I'd say that it filled the SaGa void that was a thing. It's not better than any SaGa game that I have played, but I wouldn't call it bad. If you've played all SaGa games, I don't see why you wouldn't try LoL.

I hear that AA is a bit easy, but I'll have to see for myself some day.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I actually just remembered I have played a SaGa game before—Final Fantasy Legend III on gameboy, which I guess is SaGa 3? That was a long time ago but I remember having fun with the crazy “eat monsters to become monsters” thing.
SaGa Frontier has the same sort of crazy character building mechanics. Monsters, mechs, mystics (vampires), and humans all have wildly different ways of acquiring new skills and changing their stats. It's my favourite game in the franchise and I highly recommend it.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
SaGa Frontier has the same sort of crazy character building mechanics. Monsters, mechs, mystics (vampires), and humans all have wildly different ways of acquiring new skills and changing their stats. It's my favourite game in the franchise and I highly recommend it.
There's also a remake of Saga 2 on the DS. There's an English translated ROM of it out there somewhere.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I keep trying to psyche myself into getting Alliance Alive, but the low difficulty of the demo didn't impress me and even the most casual people are saying that it's too easy to the point where most of the game mechanics are made rather pointless, which is not a good sign to me, especially for the premium price that it's still going for. I had hoped that they would've at least added a new Hard mode for the game instead of just improving the textures and almost double the price asking price.

Legend of Legacy didn't work for me. The combat system was dull and slow paced due to how the elemental / spell system worked. Although you could see enemies wandering the map as in Saga games, avoiding them was impossible in many cases thanks to the incredibly narrow dungeon design, and those narrow dungeons were really packed with encounters. Of course leaving the area and returning would reset the enemies. This coupled with the pace of the combat caused by the questionable elemental mechanic just made the game slowly grate my nerves. Shame, too. It was otherwise quite alright imo, and it had a badass froggo character who I of course picked as my main character.

legendoflegacy_filmia-800x445.jpg

61LxEg7SrJL._SL1000_.jpg

just look how happy he is to go on an adventure

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Filmia was my main guy!

I found escaping enemies in LoL was easy. I've read that a lot of people complained about this in Romancing SaGa as well, but I find that avoiding enemies is no problem at all. Ran through the Rotten Sea, avoiding everything but the Dragonlord.

Hyperion

Arcane
I found escaping enemies in LoL was easy.
Retreating in LoL brought you back to the start of the zone with all enemies respawned. A really fucking stupid mechanic that really has no place in a game. I'd rather TLR / SG's mechanic of no retreating whatsoever.

Legend of Legacy's combat was completely ruined by the 3-man party. Even 4 would have gone a long way towards improving the otherwise sluggish pacing. Since you only had 3 members, any fight kf remote difficulty would have been: 1 tank, 1 dps, 1 person to shift the balance of elements in your favor.

....in a game that gives you skills and stats by use, not being able to use skills in sufficiently difficult fights kills the purpose of getting yourself stronger. There's also no real purpose of formations because you're always going to either

A: curbstomp something easy or
B: Turtle something strong enough to matter

Filmia was a bro. Had to start as him even though his growths are bad.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished the game as Leonard.
I think I'm in need of something else to play. I couldn't possibly go for Urpina's scenario next so soon.. could I?

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Interestingly enough, this was named RPG of the Year by RPG Site.
https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/9304-rpg-site-best-of-2019-awards-our-picks-for-the-best-of-the-year

SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions - RPG of the Year 2019
I certainly didn’t expect I’d be writing something like this when I first sat down to play SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions earlier this month, but it seems appropriate that a game which relishes so much in the surprise would come out of left field to sweep our hearts away. 2019 was an especially tough year for Scarlet Grace to shine in - with such juggernauts as Fire Emblem, The Legend of Heroes, and more all vying for the top spot come the year’s conclusion. In the end, it’s Scarlet Grace’s emphasis on freedom of progression, arguably the best turn-based battle system to grace the genre in years (if not of all-time), and its unapologetically unorthodox world design that help it stand out from the crowd.

Make no mistake – the decision to axe “proper” dungeons and towns was a gamble large enough that, if the evolving world that was included in their place wasn’t executed well enough, could have spelled disaster. Instead, we’ve been treated to a world that well and truly feels alive in its own unique way – despite the game’s clearly meager budget.

SaGa Scarlet Grace is a daring, innovative take on the genre, that exudes confidence from start to finish. While its quirks are sure to drive some players away, those that are able to accept its unconventional mechanics are unlikely to find an RPG nearly as memorable, or captivating, among its contemporaries. Whether it’s the continually evolving map, the subtle yet detailed worldbuilding, or the tactical and engaging battle system – there’s truly nothing else quite like Scarlet Grace. [James Galizio]

Ialda

Learned
Probably my JRPG of the year but God, am I bad at playing it (like every other Saga games). I got Urpina for my first playthrough and I'm currently getting my ass kicked by the earth serpent boss battle in Azuhacan, I keep being wrecked by the black guards - that devil thingy interrupt of their is pure evil. So far I really, really like the feeling of playing a much simpler Unlimited Saga, the mix of an abstract map with typical Saga mechanisms. The battle system is clever.

Can't wait to try Balmaint on my next playthrough !

Hyperion

Arcane
I got Urpina for my first playthrough and I'm currently getting my ass kicked by the earth serpent boss battle in Azuhacan
Just use Paralyze, so either Shadoe Weave, or Shocking Rush. He's quite vulnerable to it, so a streak of bad RNG is the only thing that makes it dangerous.

keep being wrecked by the black guards - that devil thingy interrupt of their is pure evil
Devil monster interrupts Pierce - use Gravedigger with a Greatsword user to interrupt him, or don't use any Pierce attacks that turn.

Axe-wielding commander uses Hell's Fury, which interrupts Blunt damage. This is basically a guaranteed OHKO.

Sword-Wielding Commander uses Thousand Blades, which interrupts Pierce. AoE + Stun. This is dangerous.

Hammer-Wielding Soldier uses either Seismic Strike (Blunt) or Gale Strike (Pierce). Guess based on the other actions enemies take, because Gale Strike takes quite a few more BP to cast than Seismic Strike. Seismic Strike is more dangerous because it's AoE + Low Paralyze.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm pretty sure it's my personal RPG of the year too.

Based on this rather effusive statement, I just dropped 16-odd pounds on this game as I've been hankering for a decent JRPG in-between bouts of FM2020. Didn't hold out a lot of hope as I didn't really get on with SaGa3. Started playing, looked at clock and it was 3 hours later.

Good stuff bros. Really like not having to wander around shitty street mazes talking to NPC's about bullshit in the hope one of them hands out a quest. Got Urpina as well for first playthrough and wasn't impressed really as I'm not crazy about female protag's, but she seems inoffensive enough so far.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I think SaGa: Scarlet Grace might be my favorite game. Finished my Leonard playthrough and immediately started an Urpina one. I'm carrying over all my techniques and ranks through each playthrough because I eventually want to create a super party, where everyone starts with crazy tech ranks. Then I'll fight all the super bosses and make the hardest final boss I possibly can (if that's the way it works, no idea).

I also found Leonard's last boss to be way, way easier than Taria's, which was just ridiculous. Who knows if I did something to cause that!

I've never been so taken by a game before. I've beaten it twice and still feel like I've seen maybe 30% of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom