Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Combatfags on suicide watch because
they didn't get a good RPG this year :lol:
Luckilly, the impotent anger caused by other people liking a game that doesn’t have combat is likely to give them a fatal heart attack before they attempt something drastic.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Games like DE are very dangerous trojan horses that normalize anti-gameplay and anti-combat sentiment and promote the false idea that we want ideologically driven "stories" in our games; there is nothing more divisive than this, and it is objectively a net loss to design games this way. We must be very vigilant about this, or these people will usurp our genre right under our noses and remove everything good about it and leave it only a soulless husk that exists only as a vehicle for their pathologies.

Or maybe... we can all just get along and enjoy different kinds of RPGs. It's a rich and diverse genre after all, drawing inspiration from many other genres (strategies, action & adventure games, platformers, sometimes even card games).

You have fun with your 674th iteration of the Wizardry formula, while we try something new, fresh, smart and exciting.

Besides, the success of Disco Elysium does not mean you will loose the next 50 iterations of your favorite blobber. These types of rpgs are not direct competitors, they occupy different niches of the market and appeal to different customers.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are a lot of things that Disco doesn’t do, but what it does, it does incredibly well.

I’ve more than said my piece in the main threads, so now I’ll put my money where my mouth is. Anybody who’s on the fence about playing Disco Elysium, PM me with your Steam handle and I’ll buy the first ten takers a copy (I won’t tell!).

See, Jenkem doesn’t get it. He thinks this is some communist conspiracy, which is a profound misreading of the situation. Truth is Disco’s a drug and I’m your pusherman.

Gotta be mellow y’all. Gotta be mellow now. Pusherman gettin’ mellow y’all.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Games like DE are very dangerous trojan horses that normalize anti-gameplay and anti-combat sentiment and promote the false idea that we want ideologically driven "stories" in our games; there is nothing more divisive than this, and it is objectively a net loss to design games this way. We must be very vigilant about this, or these people will usurp our genre right under our noses and remove everything good about it and leave it only a soulless husk that exists only as a vehicle for their pathologies.

I do not see the danger you see. In fact, I see it as a good thing. If designers do not want to design combat, good well-thought out combat, I say good riddance. They will make way for designers who are actually into the same kind of thing that we are.

If, on the other hand, you care about games being called RPGs while they do not fit our definition, I personally see no reason to care about that. I say let them have their "RPGs", what I care about is me having mine.

i thought i was the only one in the world who had this notion about computer games. if you can't design good combat, either get a design director who can, or don't bother at all. i personally feel that planescape: torment is good, but the combat is awful, and it shouldn't even be in the game

Prime Junta

Anyone with a functioning brain can see that the Disco Elysium Fanboys are like a fucking cult.

All fandoms have some cult-like characteristics. The smaller the fandom, the cultier it tends to get. As fandoms go, this one is pretty laid-back.

I honestly don't get where your epic butthurt is coming from; from where I'm standing the worst we've done to you is rate a few posts retarded, and we mostly even stopped doing that after you went all paranoid about it on the shitbox.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Anyone with a functioning brain can see that the Disco Elysium Fanboys are like a fucking cult.

All fandoms have some cult-like characteristics. The smaller the fandom, the cultier it tends to get. As fandoms go, this one is pretty laid-back.

I honestly don't get where your epic butthurt is coming from; from where I'm standing the worst we've done to you is rate a few posts retarded, and we mostly even stopped doing that after you went all paranoid about it on the shitbox.

some people just need to log the fuck off. being online 24/7 isn't good for your blood pressure - or sanity

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

some people just need to log the fuck off. being online 24/7 isn't goof for your blood pressure - or sanity

FEDSMOKER

today's date Dec 14, 2019
duration between: 27 days

9.37 posts a day + uncounted shoutbox time

:M

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
also quite odd how the most vehement defenders of DE in this thread are all accounts made within the last few months, all have patron status, and all are very similar in ideology and temperament.

pre-release we had paid shills and insiders promoting the game, waking up after posting that I was enjoying the game but had criticisms to 80 plus "shit" and/or "retarded" ratings for posts not even about DE... we have members literally offering to buy the game for people at full price (literal shilling, when anyone can pirate the game if they want to play it)

numerous attempts at gaslighting people critical of the game, going so far as sending PMs accusing me of hating them and then refusing to cite what they are talking about when I am clueless as to their accusations....

totally organic though ;) not a cult

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Disco Elysium is a storyfag game, so if you're a combatfag simply go and play something else.

Pretending that a well-done storyfag game is decline just because you do not like storyfag games is beyond stupid.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
yeah i'm a joined because i'm a fucking weirdo who likes the dex after lurking after a few years and i like highly specific niches of computer games. what's your point

Harthwain

Magister
...and yet it's you who sounds like writing from the lunatic asylum.

People who like the game defend it? What a shock! Almost as big as people who shit on the game they don't like (yeah, I know that you and people like you don't consider it to be a game. Guess what? I don't really care). People don't share your viewpoint on what is an RPG? Madmen!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
if you can't design good combat, either get a design director who can, or don't bother at all.

If you can't design good combat systems and good combat encounters, get out of the genre and go make an adventure game, because you are not wanted.

i personally feel that planescape: torment is good, but the combat is awful, and it shouldn't even be in the game

Wrong. It's the walls of text/trashtext that shouldn't be in the game. As an AD&D game that came after BG, PS:T was never meant to have bad combat. Everyone who has played it can see the depth in itemization, spell repertoire and special abilities that were meant to facilitate good combat. The problem is that Black Isle lost their way, got carried away with words, and went full storyfag mode at the expense of game-play, which is synonymous with going full retard.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Disco Elysium is a storyfag game, so if you're a combatfag simply go and play something else.

Pretending that a well-done storyfag game is decline just because you do not like storyfag games is beyond stupid.

the premise of the thread is not that game is decline because it is a storyfag game, it is that there is a concerted effort by ideologues to push the game as being better than it is for a variety of nefarious reasons, being agents of decline.

for people who are story fags, you guys sure have poor reading comprehension.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
it is that there is a concerted effort by ideologues to push the game as being better than it is for a variety of nefarious reasons, being agents of decline.

What ideologues? You actually think there is a communist conspiracy to push this game?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Combatfags on suicide watch because
they didn't get a good RPG this year :lol:

Nobody got a good RPG for 15 years straight, so the joke is on you.

Well, except for Grimoire, but I still consider it a 1998 game :P

do you mean the prototype from around that time? i've seen it, and i intend to play it one day

it is that there is a concerted effort by ideologues to push the game as being better than it is for a variety of nefarious reasons, being agents of decline.

What ideologues? You actually think there is a communist conspiracy to push this game?

from what i've gathered - yes. jenkem honestly believes in that

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So what is the evidence for this communist conspiracy? The fact that Prime Junta likes this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom