Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Can we please stop calling RPGs without gameplay Adventures?

V_K

Arcane
The defining trait of an Adventure game are puzzles. 90% of the time it's "use the correct item in the correct situation" kind of puzzles, sometimes it's more abstract ones - but there must be puzzles. They are the main gameplay mechanic for Adventures. Everything else - story, dialog, whatever - is secondary to puzzles. I know that the TellTale decline of recent years have tarnished the genre definition, but can we be better than using it as a standard?

RPGs without combat (or with very weak/easy/unimportant combat) thus are not Adventure games with stats - unless they prominently feature puzzles. Puzzle-heavy RPGs like Wizardry 7, Arx Fatalis or BT4 have much more claim to the title of "Adventure games with stats" than the likes of PST or Disco. Not to mention actual, monocled Adventure games with stats like Quest for Glory series or The Council.

So could we please stop calling games with no puzzles Adventures? It's insulting to the genre, and even more insulting to real RPG/Adventure hybrids that are actually good.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So what are we calling modern adventure games that barely feature any puzzles? (And if so, *logical*/super easy ones)

(And I'm not even talking Telltale style here)

Ranarama

Learned
I've been playing this awesome adventure game:

5V07HXI.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
Damn, adventurefags don't want to take it in.

Hey, flightsim dudes, there is this one game that likes to dress up as an RPG and demands access to RPG locker rooms and toilets... wanna have it?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The defining trait of an Adventure game are puzzles. 90% of the time it's "use the correct item in the correct situation" kind of puzzles, sometimes it's more abstract ones - but there must be puzzles. They are the main gameplay mechanic for Adventures. Everything else - story, dialog, whatever - is secondary to puzzles. I know that the TellTale decline of recent years have tarnished the genre definition, but can we be better than using it as a standard?

RPGs without combat (or with very weak/easy/unimportant combat) thus are not Adventure games with stats - unless they prominently feature puzzles. Puzzle-heavy RPGs like Wizardry 7, Arx Fatalis or BT4 have much more claim to the title of "Adventure games with stats"

You'll get Wizardry 7 only when you pry it from my cold, dead hands

V_K

Arcane

RPGs without combat (or with very weak/easy/unimportant combat) thus are not Adventure games with stats - unless they prominently feature puzzles. Puzzle-heavy RPGs like Wizardry 7, Arx Fatalis or BT4 have much more claim to the title of "Adventure games with stats"

You'll get Wizardry 7 only when you pry it from my cold, dead hands
Challenge accepted.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So what are we calling modern adventure games that barely feature any puzzles? (And if so, *logical*/super easy ones)

(And I'm not even talking Telltale style here)
I call them walk and talkers. If there's no other people, it's a walking sim.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Agree with topic starter. Perhaps, the more apropriate term is IF (interactive fiction). Or, even more specifically, SIF (slightly interactive fiction).

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't think they qualify as interactive fiction games either. I think Visual Novel is the closest description, honestly, but it doesn't fit the regular image of a VN. I guess if we call it a 3D isometric VN we will pretty much get the image across, even if the isometric descriptor will annoy people for being technically incorrect.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom