Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
something something soros paid actors. i dont have the mental energy to keep up with whatever blame people shift towards ancient and dying relics that look like aliens wearing skin stolen from victims

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
What is Disco Elysium?
It is the spiritual successor of Planescape: Torment Wis/Int Builds. So if you play Planescape like that, you are massive hypocrite to complain. Nobody plays Planescape for the combat.
VtM: Bloodlines Malk Builds also get the honorable mention.

What is the nature of the RPG?
Tabletop RPGs have historical roots from Wargaming so at its core it was a strategy based around a limited number of characters that were developed instead of having an army.
Then they added some story sprinkled on and Pretend Acting.
Over time in the TRPG genre the Pretend Acting was the more of the focus with skill checks and GMs babysitting those skill checks so everything doesn't derrail and collapses on itself.
While CRPG were born that were more like strategy games with story, due to the limitation of the medium.
They added some Choice and Consequence sprinkled on, which are basically CYOA branches to simulate the Pretend Acting. JRPG didn't acknowledge the bullshit and were pure strategy games with story.

In the case of Disco Elysium it inherits the mantle of TRPG of Pretend Acting Experience but unfortunately without much Choice and Consequence due to the shoestring budget and already insane scope.
It's a Classic in the sense that it will get a cult following after it declares bankruptcy like all the other Classics for trying to achieve something this stupid.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
something something soros paid actors. i dont have the mental energy to keep up with whatever blame people shift towards ancient and dying relics

I never once mentioned Soros or anything, why do you continually lie and make shit up about what I've said or done?
First you call me a schizo, then when that doesn't work you start lying, then when that doesn't work you start saying shit like "We got off on the wrong foot, I have no animosity towards you." Then you call people (me?) out for "posting 24/7" when you are no lurker yourself. Then you go back to lying... Literal Jewish tactics.

So what is the evidence for this communist conspiracy? The fact that Prime Junta likes this game?

When 95% of the people pushing, shilling and praising the game are avowed communists or communist sympathizers, then how is it ridiculous to claim that communists are pushing, shilling and praising the game? Not to mention you can look no further than this very thread to find DE apologists using tactics right out of Rules for Radicals.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
something something soros paid actors. i dont have the mental energy to keep up with whatever blame people shift towards ancient and dying relics

I never once mentioned Soros or anything, why do you continually lie and make shit up about what I've said or done?
First you call me a schizo, then when that doesn't work you start lying, then when that doesn't work you start saying shit like "We got off on the wrong foot, I have no animosity towards you." Then you call people (me?) out for "posting 24/7" when you are no lurker yourself. Then you go back to lying... Literal Jewish tactics.

So what is the evidence for this communist conspiracy? The fact that Prime Junta likes this game?

When 95% of the people pushing, shilling and praising the game are avowed communists or communist sympathizers, then how is it ridiculous to claim that communists are pushing, shilling and praising the game? Not to mention you can look no further than this very thread to find DE apologists using tactics right out of Rules for Radicals.

lol i didn't say you ever mentioned soros. give me a break

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Again, who (other than Prime Junta) are these supposed communists or communist sympathizers?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron

Again, who (other than Prime Junta) are these supposed communists or communist sympathizers?

probably those (fictional) havafuns pruntswerk mentions a lot (no offense to you pruntswerk, you're cool)

Zer0wing

Cipher
TL;DR of the whole thread -
-CRPG stands for Combat RPG, no writing beyond basic premise is needed because it leads to storyfaggotry.
-reeee combatfag!

Based Silent Storm chads.
rating_salute.gif

Alex

Arcane
In Disco Elysuim you roleplay through dialogue trees, skill checks, perks and dice rolls

Adventure game.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, 2019 PEOPLE... GO PLAY ADVENTURE GAMES! EDUCATE YOURSELVES FIRST!

Why does it matter so much whether something is called an RPG or an adventure game (with RPG elements)?

Just look at the Codex Top 100: There are many "RPG's" there that are really action games (with RPG elements) or strategy games (with RPG elements).

Yet it is the adventure games (with RPG elements) where you draw the line and go berserk?

Because people talk about enough crappy games here without we considering stuff that is not even trying to be an RPG.

Edit:

Consider JRPGs, for instance. I have a tendency to dislike this kind of game, and it is really annoying when you try to talk something about games like western CRPGs only to have the conversation be derailed with stuff from a completely different type of game. So, having discussions be limited to a certain type of game helps make it meaningful. Yeah, there are a lot of action games being discussed on the Codex these days; so why should we go and make dialogue even more convoluted by adding another thing that isn't an RPG to the mix?

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant

Yes exactly!! the communist masterplan is to shill for a game studio that makes and sells videogames through capitalist systems to somehow bring about a ..... marxist.... revolution? .....

:deathclaw:

Zer0wing

Cipher
i do personally dispute the fact that DE is an CRPG but 'CRPG' means 'computer role playing game', not 'combat role playing game' lol
Seriously tho I dispute the "Jagged Alliance 2 (and some other similar games) is a combatfag game" because it has decent actual writing with entertaining characters and encounters. Ya know, those filthy literature storyfaggotry things. Only incels deal in absolutes.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane

Yes exactly!! the communist masterplan is to shill for a game studio that makes and sells videogames through capitalist systems to somehow bring about a ..... marxist.... revolution? .....

The Molotov ingredients aren't gonna buy themselves.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
i don't know. i just like slav and baltjank. i unironically consider myself a 'master of slavclunk esoterica' - the kind of dude that gives a shit about games all of 30 people in the english-speaking world know about

Harthwain

Magister

It's part of the secret plan made shortly before the fall of the Soviet Union: the Werebear!

Prime Junta

numerous attempts at gaslighting people critical of the game, going so far as sending PMs accusing me of hating them and then refusing to cite what they are talking about when I am clueless as to their accusations....

I sent you a message as a peace offering, not an accusation. Hell, the main gist of it was asking if there's something I can do to make things right. I would like to be friends.

Your reply did not indicate a willingness to have a conversation so in respect of that wish I did not pursue it. That's also why I don't see the point of digging up references; I don't want to put you on trial or accuse you of anything, I was just wondering if in fact you are butthurt, and if so, if there's anything I can do to change that.

In the interests of transparency, here's the message I sent you in its entirety:

You seem rather butthurt about me. I'm not sure what I've done to deserve that. It's quite likely I've said something mean to you but if that's the case, it must have been a reaction to something you said as I don't recall saying it at you, specifically. I bear you no ill will in any case.

If there's something I can do to make things right, let me know.

I won't reproduce your reply here without your permission (I only do that with due cause), but it was terse and included the word "faggot" so I assumed my peace offering was rejected and did not pursue it further.

If you /really/ insist, I can do a search in the shitbox archives to find some specifics. I don't keep a .txt on you though, and as stated I'm interested in making things right, not making accusations, so I don't see the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Got bored and left

Each generation has its great battlefield. Our grandfathers shed blood in WWII, our fathers had the ideological combat of the Cold War, and we have Disco Elysium.

May history judge us kindly.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, there are a lot of action games being discussed on the Codex these days; so why should we go and make dialogue even more convoluted by adding another thing that isn't an RPG to the mix?

If action games with RPG elements count as RPG's, then adventure games with RPG elements count as well. Either kick out both or leave both.

But that's not what this discussion is about. It's about a communist conspiracy, for which Jenkem still hasn't provided the names from his list of DE's communist supporters...

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can I just take a minute to thank Jenkem and anyone else that has posted stupid shit about Disco, and ask that you please continue. The longer y'all keep this up, the longer I can keep harvesting brofists.
:positive:

buffalo bill

Arcane
I don't get people getting so worked up over this game. It is fine, and only stands out this year because no other even halfway decent games were released. I personally prefer games with more non-scripted content (non-scripted content doesn't have to be combat: see King of Dragon Pass), and more difficulty, but DE is fine for what it is.

"Is it a proper RPG?" = fucking stupid question

Objections to DE based on the politics in the game are idiotic: I initially went for all the pro-communist dialogue choices, and the game made me regret that by portraying the communists as brutal and unnecessarily violent, just like every other political faction in the game. I can see how a person could be turned off by a game with an overt political agenda, but I didn't see an overt political agenda represented in the game. I also think it is acceptable and probably unavoidable that a game developer puts some personal views into a game, if it fits the game—as in a dialogue-heavy game. For instance, AoD is a great game, and personal views of the devs about human nature and politics are clearly reflected in the narrative. This makes AoD better, not worse.

mondblut

Arcane
If action games with RPG elements count as RPG's, then adventure games with RPG elements count as well. Either kick out both or leave both.

We'd be happy to. But for now, we pick the battles that we can win. :obviously:

There is more to this, however. As much as "action rpgs" are an abomination, at least they are games. For well over a decade women and limpwristed faggots who don't play games were probing our genre with their sims and telltales and other non-game shit whining that RPGs have that annoying combat thingy that gatekeeps them from enjoying teh story and playing teh role. Now they seemingly achieved a breakthrough. If we give in now, RPGs are lost forever.

I'll let Patrcik Stewart speak on our behalf:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I sent you a message as a peace offering, not an accusation. Hell, the main gist of it was asking if there's something I can do to make things right. I would like to be friends.

Your reply did not indicate a willingness to have a conversation so in respect of that wish I did not pursue it. That's also why I don't see the point of digging up references; I don't want to put you on trial or accuse you of anything, I was just wondering if in fact you are butthurt, and if so, if there's anything I can do to change that.

In the interests of transparency, here's the message I sent you in its entirety:

I won't reproduce your reply here without your permission (I only do that with due cause), but it was terse and included the word "faggot" so I assumed my peace offering was rejected and did not pursue it further.

If you /really/ insist, I can do a search in the shitbox archives to find some specifics. I don't keep a .txt on you though, and as stated I'm interested in making things right, not making accusations, so I don't see the point.

the implication being that you need to make a peace offering, that I am somehow your "enemy." No thought like this exists in my mind about you or anyone else at the Codex, despite what you may feel from my shitposting, it is pure projection. But you make an assumption that I am butthurt about you and then treat it as a fact while playing the victim, all while I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, which is why I responded with "what the fuck are you talking about, faggot?" (iirc) because, like.. what the fuck are you talking about?

This was shortly after I made a photoshop meme pic after Fluent was banned tying Fluent's sudden absence with his former status in the "Disco Cabal" which was just posted to be funny and because I previously talked about the DISCO CABAL (which is semi-ironic in a post-irony world) so I thought maybe you were upset about that? But then why accuse me of being butthurt when were you presumably mad at banter?

I still don't know what you are talking about and with knowing how dirty you did IHaveHugeNick when it comes to private messages, I was certainly on the defensive after receiving a wholly unexpected and, to me, non-sequitur correspondence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom