Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those are accusations, not examples. Since you've repeatedly cited me as the leader of the disco cabal, surely you provide one example each of

(1) Me insulting you
(2) Me taking your critique of DE as a personal insult
(3) Me making up a lie about you
(4) Me slandering you
(5) Me discussing a critique you're making of DE in bad faith
(6) Me approaching you in a tribalistic way
(7) etc?

Surely a man of your integrity wouldn't stoop to slander and baseless accusations?

I wasn't speaking of you, but of DE fanboys in general, also the list does not apply to every individual engaging in these activites. they are a collection of activities used by that group. I'm sure you are aware of this because I don't believe you are stupid, but you even asked for citation when I was responding to someone else where I used the pronoun "you" (which indicates, given the context, I was referring to the person I was replying to, and not yourself) but you yourself accused me of being butthurt and then acted as if it were fact (you admit this yourself) and messaged me acting like a victim and being manipulative and it seemed to be in bad faith considering I had no idea what you were talking about, and this feeling of it being in bad faith was cemented when you replied to me asking wtf you were talking about to "oh nevermind then, my mistake" yet couldn't say what it was that made you think I was butthurt.. gaslighting 101

the disco cabal thing started as a joke with you being the leader because you were top disco shill pre-release, but maybe the disco cabal was real all along considering how serious you take what was internet banter, or perhaps it became real...

Prime Junta

I wasn't speaking of you, but of DE fanboys in general, also the list does not apply to every individual engaging in these activites. they are a collection of activities used by that group. I'm sure you are aware of this because I don't believe you are stupid, but you even asked for citation when I was responding to someone else where I used the pronoun "you" (which indicates, given the context, I was referring to the person I was replying to, and not yourself) but you yourself accused me of being butthurt and then acted as if it were fact (you admit this yourself) and messaged me acting like a victim and being manipulative and it seemed to be in bad faith considering I had no idea what you were talking about, and this feeling of it being in bad faith was cemented when you replied to me asking wtf you were talking about to "oh nevermind then, my mistake" yet couldn't say what it was that made you think I was butthurt.. gaslighting 101

the disco cabal thing started as a joke with you being the leader because you were top disco shill pre-release, but maybe the disco cabal was real all along considering how serious you take what was internet banter, or perhaps it became real...

So, nothing then. Thought as much. :salute:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
these commies actually believe that under a communist regime they'd get to do whatever they want, they'd get to choose where to work and spend all day discussing minority rights or whatever.

No but you see, just because these hipsters think that way it means they are not and cannot be considered commies they are indeed just stupid sheeple talking smack

Whether they can be considered commies or not is not really the point. They are however even more dangerous than the smart communists because they're the ones who will put those into power.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Prime Junta stop being a deceitful fuck and pretending to not know about shit that Disco Defenders said in the release thread. I remember what FeelTheRads mentioned earlier in this thread about when several people jumped on him and told him he didn't know how to play RPGs because he had unallocated skill points at the end of the game, as if DE is some demanding intense gameplay-centric game requiring expert knowledge of the underlying systems. Or people in the thread going after IHaveHugeNick

You either have the memory of a goldfish or are being disingenuous as fuck (a typical commie trait, unfortunately.) I choose to assume you are not mentally impaired, please correct me if I am wrong.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
as if DE is some demanding intense gameplay-centric game requiring expert knowledge of the underlying systems.

Apparently hidden checks are some deep shit. And if you don't guess where to put the points to pass the hidden checks you don't know how to play RPGs.

Imagine thinking blindly putting points in some skills that happen to coincide with some scripts is some tough, serious gameplay. :lol:

Prime Junta

You either have the memory of a goldfish or are being disingenuous as fuck (a typical commie trait, unfortunately.) I choose to assume you are not mentally impaired, please correct me if I am wrong.

I'll take "memory of a goldfish." I really do not remember who said what to whom in the Disco thread. If you're not able to provide citations, I really don't have much to discuss. The best I can do is offer you a general apology covering whatever I may have done or said to upset you or FeelTheRads.

If you'd also like me to change my behaviour, I would need a specific example of what it is I did wrong, however, otherwise I really am just flailing in the dark here.

BTW I did a quick search through the shitbox archives, and man do you have a chip on your shoulder about Disco. Tribalism? What do you call it when you accuse fantadomat of turning Communist just because he had the temerity to like the game? [citation]

Seriously bruh, heal thyself.

Harthwain

Magister
3jfzd5.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
LOL, just because the game has no generic combat, it is not an RPG anymore? Get the fuck out of here!

No, not "anymore". It was not an RPG in the first place.

Also, it doesn't have ANY combat, generic or otherwise. What DE fanbots call combat is not different than any other kind of interaction in the game. Not only that it's done through picking dialogue lines, but the the way skills are used is identical between saying "hi" to someone and trying to avoid a bullet and in fact it can happen that the two use the exact same skill. 'Cuz the game is that WILD!!!

So, no, it does NOT have ANY combat. It has 1 (ONE) dialogue skill copy/pasted 20 times.
No sane person would call this combat or gameplay.

And, no, it's not an RPG. There's no meaningful character development. Or challenge. In fact, it's worse than Oblibian. You can literally finish the game by just clicking on whatever option has the higher chance of success. And still finish even if you fail. It does not matter one bit what you put skill points in. All it does is get you different lines of text.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
LOL, just because the game has no generic combat, it is not an RPG anymore? Get the fuck out of here!

Also, it doesn't have ANY combat, generic or otherwise. What DE fanbots call combat is not different than any other kind of interaction in the game. Not only that it's done through picking dialogue lines, but the the way skills are used is identical between saying "hi" to someone and trying to avoid a bullet and in fact it can happen that the two use the exact same skill. 'Cuz the game is that WILD!!!

So, no, it does NOT have ANY combat. It has 1 (ONE) dialogue skill copy/pasted 20 times.

And, no, it's not an RPG. There's no meaningful character development. Or challenge. In fact, it's worse than Oblibian. You can literally finish the game by just clicking on whatever option has the higher chance of success. And still finish even if you fail. It does not matter one bit what you put skill points in. All it does is get you different lines of text.

?

The character development was one of the better parts of the game IMO, especially on the main character.

Harthwain

Magister
I'll let the tabletop guys know that what they're doing is not playing an RPG either. Since, you know, it's just rolling a dice every time there is a skill check...

And, no, it's not an RPG. There's no meaningful character development.
Define "meaningful".

Absinthe

Arcane
Disco Elysium has no puzzles and would fit even less well in the adventure genre than it does in the RPG genre.
I've sort-of resigned myself to adventure games being the dumping ground of 3D narrative games without gameplay. But it's true that as an adventure game it's lacking a lot of elements as well.

Disco Elysium contains no combat (other than two or three brief scripted sequences) and little meaningful exploration; it has the character-related aspects of the RPG genre but fails to come remotely close to achieving either RPG combat or RPG exploration, and without all three a game is not an RPG.
I don't find combat to be a strict must-have, but there must be significant gameplay as part of resolving your problems in a way that is tied to your character screen and gear such that build matters.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I pity you if you've never played a PnP RPG without combat.

Cross

Arcane
Did anyone ever complain about Quest for Glory being called an RPG btw? :M
Unlike Disco Elysium, Quest of Glory has a combat system (albeit not a very good one). The adventure elements of Quest of Glory are also more 'RPG-ish', for lack of a better word. You can use skills like climbing and lockpicking freely, they aren't restricted to a dialogue screen.

The only 'anti-RPG' aspects of Quest of Glory are the Sierra-style failure states (e.g. getting a game over as soon as a guard catches you), which are at odds with the level of player agency in a normal RPG. But the later Quest of Glory games largely moved away from those failure states.

I was on the cusp of making a similar thread, the pattern is there and obvious for anyone that pays attention and for those that don't are either in denial or lack the necessary mental capacity to do so. "Game Journos" and their ilk have an immense hatred (Contempt) for anything that is complex, that poses a challenge or that it requires time to master. They want to turn games into full narrative driven "art" house diarrhea with the least bit of gameplay, they have been trying hard for years to impose their narrative on the gaming landscape. Its no wonder they love a game like DE since it is nothing but what can be considered an anti-game.

Is this another one of those pointless storyfag vs combat fag debates you guys love to have? neither of these two things are necessary in an RPG.

The only thing that a game has to do to be an RPG is to give you the ability to create your own character through a character building and progression system and to roleplay them the way you want. This is what tabletop RPGs were, a game master would design an encounter (either a social or a combat encounter) and the players were free to approach that encounter in any way they want by using their imagination and their character's stats. Quests, dialogue trees, skillchecks, combat systems etc...... all of these things are just tools that CRPGs use to simulate the roleplaying experience that tabletop RPGs offer on a computer, none of these things are individually NECESSARY in an RPG.

In Disco Elysuim you roleplay through dialogue trees, skill checks, perks and dice rolls; in ToEE you roleplay through combat, this doesn't mean one is an RPG and the other isn't, it just means they're two different types of RPGs.
But you just confirmed that RPGs ARE about combat, it's core/essence of what the original intention of what D&D is through and through comes from wargaming. It was Arneson that was the one that added story incentives or meaning for the actions that you seemingly took.
It was about going into a dungeon and using critical thinking to survive, knowing when to fight/back out and earn gold.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But that's not what this discussion is about. It's about a communist conspiracy, for which Jenkem still hasn't provided the names from his list of DE's communist supporters...

I have here in my hand a list of 134 — a list of names that were made known to the RPG Codex as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the RPG Community.

simmschn Silva Allanon Prime Junta Q JarlFrank felipepepe Zero Credibility Daedalos axedice xantrius Jinn v1rus Wintermute santino27 Jim Cojones Haba Riddler Tigranes toro Mortmal Berekän undecaf Sergiu64 Saark taviow Tacgnol Cosmo CrunchyHemorrhoids Mojobeard J_C moraes belated Carrion Comte Shadenuat Drowed Tommy Wiseau The Great Deceiver Saduj Rake skaraher Hellion SophosTheWise jfrisby Ivan Ondoval StaticSpine Antigoon Mychkine Gangrelrumbler Urbanolo Twiglard rohand hemtae BlackGoat Thonius Senntinel Luka-boy GloomFrost darthaegis ArtB Shin Doktor Best PirateScum Urthor AdvancedHero KK1001 gestalt11 Atchodas Jimmious Gaius maximus Belegarsson Lexxx20 drgames GewuerzKahn and 8 others Bl@de HoboForEternity Projas NJClaw MpuMngwana whocares TT1 Quillon Clink Van-d-all TwoEdge bataille biggestboss Pyreen Madawc Deadass fantadomat Danikas jerfdr Catacombs Nortar Tenebris frajaq Elex Atleticano Lord_Potato AdolfSatan lobsterfrogman Alpan Risewild Molina whydoibother sorinmask Dodo1610 PrK ScrotumBroth Curratum Strange Fellow ItsChon Multi-headed Cow RegionalHobo Magnat Readher ZVERMIX Testicules Terenty Swigen S.torch Daidre barghwata nyjsu Theophrastus Will Zurmacht Zariusz FEDSMOKER Deadyawn Harthwain

Hold up what the FUCK happened to some of the posts in this thread? A lot of monocled and prestigious posts are suddenly absent, like the gameplay in Disco Elysium.

Fucking aliens.

Lilura deletes her posts when she thinks she's been too mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom