Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Stakhanov

Augur
spell enhancement got the chop.
Wait, does that mean they cut a feature that was already in? I recall being able to enhance spells with items.

Yes, it was in originally, but it got removed because it was a source of a lot of bugs that they weren't able to fix. I quite enjoyed the enhancements, it certainly made Occultism more viable in combat. Now it's only good in stealth builds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's a first. I don't recall ever seeing a game where a feature was cut after release. :lol:

Stakhanov

Augur
I wouldn't say it's particularly uncommon. You tend to see it more in games like Dota that are multiplayer and/or competitive than single-player games. I mean, you could redo the code for the game just to save the feature, but is it really worth it at this point? Some enhanced spells were causing crashes for some users, they couldn't really keep it in that state.

V_K

Arcane
I mean, you could redo the code for the game just to save the feature, but is it really worth it at this point?
But if they cut enhancement out, there's a number of features/encounters down the line they have to redo because they were supporting the enhancement system. I mean, Tongue of the Dead spell is now useless because you don't need ectoplasm anymore, there's no reason to pick up Stanley's brain, some quest rewards/loot caches become worthless. Is changing all this really easier than fixing the programming? Oh, and the Sleeper fight becomes a pain in the ass at best (and unwinnable at worst) for an Occultism-focused party.
I'm very disappointed to be honest. Magic system was one of the best features of the game, but now it's just not worth bothering with.

Stakhanov

Augur
The spell enhancements sell for a lot of cigs, but otherwise yeah, I don't disagree. I think they're just trying to make sure to eliminate all possible crashes/freezes for now. I hope that they figure out a way to add it back in.

Modron

Arcane
I think a more...personal approach is what's recommended.

20100902090911-132.jpg
Is this phage's?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I wouldn't say it's particularly uncommon. You tend to see it more in games like Dota that are multiplayer and/or competitive than single-player games. I mean, you could redo the code for the game just to save the feature, but is it really worth it at this point? Some enhanced spells were causing crashes for some users, they couldn't really keep it in that state.
Maybe they should just cut the fucking game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Patch coming December 19th they said.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/779290/announcements/detail/2992010505929847539

Major Update will be out on December 19th!

9e580482d9b9e865cd8e0858b176819859748c6a.png

Greetings Brethren!

We know that you’ve been waiting for the final ritual that will alleviate “Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones” like the sunken city of R’lyeh rising from the depths of the oceans.

This blackest event will occur on the 19th of this month. At the time of the accursed Yuletide festival, you, the owners of Stygian, will be downloading the brand new Patch 1.1. Before discussing more about what will be fixed and improved with this event of celestial importance, we have some announcements to make.

Be warned! Only your latest Autosave and Story Save slots will be preserved by the new save system which enables Character Profiles and manual saving functionality. You better get prepared!

For the sake of stability and general balancing, we have removed Spell Enhancements from the upcoming build. The final scope of the game was making the enhanced spells either overpowered or unachievable. We also wanted to eliminate the bugs connected to the system. We will consider the re-implementation of the system again in the future.

The following achievements will become obsolete with the release of 1.1 Update:
  • Spell Doctor
  • Surgeon
  • Martyr

Without further ado, here’s a list of New Features and Major Overhauls that will be present in 1.1:
  • A Tutorial System that explains all the core and subsidiary systems of the game.
  • Considerably increased Combat Speed
  • Character Profiles
  • Manual Saving and Quick Saving
  • Combat Hit Probability Indicator to screen your to hit chance in battle scenarios

Along with hundreds of Bug Fixes and Improvements including issues encountered in problematic areas such as Blasted Street, Ward 10, a variety of crashes, situations carried in between different save files, Panic State malfunctions, Light and Darkness mechanics, Rest and Crafting Mechanics, Perk and Item functionality and much more!

As you can see, we haven’t been resting. Instead, we’ve prayed to the Old Ones, day and night in all the forgotten, old tongues and cried out for a better, smoother Stygian experience. We also worked. Really hard…

Until we meet again in a desolate corner of the doomed Arkham on 19th of December.

Team Cultic

6a88c8777c6f7b8de1517a09d20ab310fb27ae9b.png

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Increased combat speed?
You mean, I will actually be able to play the game now?

I'm still on the fence, though, given that the ending apparently is no real ending but a lazy-ass cliffhanger.
It would just leave me in a sour mood if they closed down shop and a sequel never came...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But it's not a bad ending, it's just a cliff-hanger, a "more adventures to come"... The devs could indeed signal better the scope of the game, but people are being drama queens about it.

V_K

Arcane
But it's not a bad ending, it's just a cliff-hanger, a "more adventures to come"... The devs could indeed signal better the scope of the game, but people are being drama queens about it.
I think the butthurt is less about the ending itself, but also about the last few areas leading to it being rather pointless and unfocused.

Tygrende

Arbiter
The devs could indeed signal better the scope of the game
The issue is that the devs originally intended the game to be much longer and it shows. This isn't a short game that failed to advertise itself as such, this is a longer game with an abrupt stop.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't get me wrong, if they do properly announce the next part, I'll dig in.
Just not before that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People expect a complete narrative when they buy a game, and this didn't deliver.

Even kotor 2, which people complained about anyway, ended its conflict and just set up another one.

Harthwain

Magister
I remember The Banner Saga 1 ending making me furious, because of how it ended. The whole thing basically screamed: "Unfinished experience! You need to buy our next game, sucker! Then you'll get to know the full story. Maybe.".

Better way to do this would've been by sending the boat away and ending it there. Then, when you're preparing to announce The Banner Saga 2, you could show the boat floating and entering the land of the dead in a trailer leading to the official announcement. Also, cut the loose ends that aren't subtle and put them in the sequel as flashbacks, if they are necessary to the plot.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Before we jump into the Changelog, pay heed brethren! Although it is possible to migrate to 1.1 without restarting your game, we recommend deleting the STYGIAN folder in the directories below:

Windows:
C:/{USER_NAME}/AppData/LocalLow/Cultic Games

MAC:
/Users/{USER_NAME}/Library/Application Support/Cultic Games/

And just restart the game with a new character.

If you choose to continue from your existing saves, they will be recognized after installing the patch but different saves from different characters might be collected under the same character profile.

To be fair I was already considering it. Break since launch has been too long and combat changes might make me want to play for combat once.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
1.1 Patch Notes sounds great and sadly, like a much more common phenom these days: "Hello buyers, Here is the actual game as promised!"

It is a massive and full featured update but I've seen half a dozen games recently where the 'game' arrives some amount of time after the release date so it appears to be getting more common. My bitching aside, this sounds like the game I -wanted- to play initially so I will likely actually attempt it now. I gave up quickly on the first incarnation so am keen for a proper playthrough starting fresh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom