Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Truly repeating the pattern of fellating to the new release for two weeks and then spending 2 years shitting on it.
Maybe I'll pick it up on sale sometime, not really a fan of point & click adventures though.

Atchodas

Augur
If disco was actual RPG Walker-talker would be just one out of several possible ways to beat the game

Absinthe

Arcane
They are role-playing games, no action games. They don't need combat.
You don't seem to understand what the action genre is either. Action game genre is not related to the action movie genre. The metric for being an "action" game is not running around, fighting shit, and blowing stuff up. Action games are games that focus on physical movement/coordination on the gamer's part, typically hand-eye coordination and fast reaction speed. Action games include Dance, Dance, Revolution, Guitar Hero, Frogger, Starcraft (at high skill levels where obsessive micro and high APM is considered a crucial part of the game), Super Mario, Quake 3 Arena, Pac-Man, Microsoft Pinball (the one that came with Windows on older computers), and so forth. Whether or not a game has combat has no bearing on whether or not it's an action game. Turn-based RPGs as a rule are not action games no matter how much combat they have. Dragon Age: Origins had tons of combat, is not turn-based, and yet is not an action game either, seeing as you can set a competent party member AI to handle combat for you and pause the game to take stock of the situation and issue orders at your leisure, so it is not a game that is by any means demanding on the player's reaction speed.

Harthwain

Magister
Also they literally call themselves communists so... :shrug: ? What do you want us to do, wait until they starve everyone to death to be able to say they're "real" communists? I'm fine with taking people at their word.
Sharing their property (money is acceptable) with the collective would be a good start.

jungl

Augur
The impression I got from disco esylum is that its whatever. Died multiple times around start of the game thought it was really stupid. Its got pretty visuals and writing is good but at the end of the day it reminded me of the countless visual novel like games you could play newgrounds early 2000 and now on steam. I was never fond of the genre and its gotcha bullshit moments save and reload and choose a more optimal path. Honestly I think people put waaaaaay too much thought into disco elysium. This year rpgs have sucked. I can't recall a single decent game. I played cat quest 2 with a friend I haven't seen in a while and tolerated it and that game is bad and it summed up 2019 rpgs for me that they all are forgettable.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Viktor Maiakovski
:deathclaw:
Vladimir Maiakovski
https://kotaku.com/disco-elysium-developers-shout-out-marx-and-engels-1840403603
Gita Jackson said:
The people they shouted out included the architects of communist thought, Marx and Engels, as well as Russian painter Vladimir Makovsky, and Viktor Tsoi, a Soviet singer and songwriter.
Russian painter Vladimir Makovsky
Painter Makovsky
Painter Makovsky
Painter Makovsky
:deathclaw::deathclaw::deathclaw:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What if I told you that I am president of USA ?

Well, are you doing presidential works that you can point to? The DE devs are doing excellent work for the Communist cause by making popular video games that further their ideology, so they are demonstrable. They deserve a raise and a promotion, tbh, but I don't know if commies believe in that sort of thing. ^_^

Poor souls believe dust has settled. Wait until it's voted 'dex GOTY and placed in top 5 all time RPG list. We're about to witness prolapse tier butthurt.

Picking non-RPGs and other assorted decline as GOTYs is a time-honored Codex tradition (Witcher 3 comes to mind). The Codex majority leans towards storyfaggotry and anti-gameplay sentiment in general, so this is nothing new or surprising.

Even with all of these faults, though, the Codex still remains the best place to come to for good RPG disussion... and that says a lot about our society!

Stakhanov

Augur
Definitional debates aside, I actually think there is merit to experimental indie titles that focus on one element exclusively. The danger with small-scale studios creating their first game is spreading themselves too thin and either aping existing formulas in a way that doesn't do anything for the genre or creating a wonky game that can't do everything it sets out to do with the same level of refinement. Disco Elysium is not a model for the genre, it is not going to take away your precious combat sims. It is part of the family of RPGs but it only wants to do one thing: change how we think about writing in games.

What Disco Elysium focused on was bringing out an element of character-building that has generally been neglected in RPGs (and pretty much all video games) - having a range of ways for the character to think about the world and respond to it whether it's singing karaoke or punching a mailbox. Your character has a perspective on the world that is both extremely dense and literary, and you can nudge it in certain directions with the way you skill your character. Games with predefined characters that spout really generic or inane dialogue, like everything I've seen in Outer Worlds, look even more bankrupt and pathetic in comparison. I expect that Disco Elysium is going to change how other RPG developers think about characterisation and writing, which would not be a bad thing. Have a little ambition. Write like you've actually read something in your life and not just imbibed banal pop culture like fucking Firefly.

There's really only two ways to go with narratives in RPGs - either the reactivity and faction/reputation system of a Fallout-style game that allows for a more free-form approach, or a more literary approach that you can see in games with predefined characters like Disco.

I also think the semantics of the debate about RPGs in this thread are pointless. Tabletop roleplaying games don't require combat. Computer RPGs emerged as simulations of TTRPGs. You can imagine that because historically RPGs have always had combat that this means all RPGs require combat to be good, but that would ignore the source of this genre to begin with. Computer RPGs don't exist in glorious isolation. I would also argue that the combat in RPGs are derivative of strategy titles or action titles, and they are often markedly inferior to both. I would argue that the combat-fags are just importing standards from genres that already exist and that are distinct from RPGs.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But that's not what this discussion is about. It's about a communist conspiracy, for which Jenkem still hasn't provided the names from his list of DE's communist supporters...

I have here in my hand a list of 134 — a list of names that were made known to the RPG Codex as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the RPG Community.

[...] whydoibother sorinmask Dodo1610 [...]

I'm do not share communist views. I was just born in a country with strong communist background, and can easily spot and share the point of view/perspective, if needed.

But I appreciate the fact that I made the list and/or attention.

Saduj

Arcane
the premise of the thread is not that game is decline because it is a storyfag game, it is that there is a concerted effort by ideologues to push the game as being better than it is for a variety of nefarious reasons, being agents of decline.

for people who are story fags, you guys sure have poor reading comprehension.

Well then the thread should be deleted is pointless because your premise is absolute horseshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
imagine talking shit in the shitbox... just imagine it. fantadomat I'm sorry if I hurt you that you had to have your big daddy come to your defense :P
The fuck you want,you little cocksucking schizophrenic sjw libtard bastard? I told you and your cucked larping whifu princess aweigh to leave me out of your little shit throwing melodramas. Now go and suck each other's little dicks and screech how people,god forbids,can like a fucking video game. Fucking sjw cunts! If people like the fucking game,then good for them,if people don't like the fucking game,good for them. Don't care either way,now fuck off and stop pulling me in your petty bitch games!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom