Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Don Peste

Arcane
According to Credits_FINAL.mp4, directors for this are Daniel Candil: Used to work on Advertising, worked for Kerad Games (owned by football player Gerard Piqué) and A Crowd of Monsters on Art Design, he is also Art Director for this teaser. Also teaches Art Design on a degree in Video Game Design.
Games by A Crowd of Monsters on Steam:

And the other one is Rafael González Fernández, also Lead Programmer. It seems they both worked in the same companies for some time. I can just walk to his home and interview him if you like. :lol:

Judging by the credits it's pretty low budget. A University also participated, and they also outsourced some work. It feels to me like a test to see if this people can become a fully-fledged THQ Nordic studio. But if they actually greenlight this remake, they are going to need to send in some veterans from other THQ studios.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
According to Credits_FINAL.mp4, directors for this are Daniel Candil: Used to work on Advertising, worked for Kerad Games (owned by football player Gerard Piqué) and A Crowd of Monsters on Art Design, he is also Art Director for this teaser. Also teaches Art Design on a degree in Video Game Design.
That also explains the masturbatory animations... that Diego monologue is more of an animation project for a game design course that an actual game dialog.

typical user

Arbiter
Chad Nameless One turned into Virgin Alvaro.

Game looks like shit if not for the title I wouldn't even notice it's supposed to be a remake.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I get that THQ thinks a remaster of Gothic might sell. But why do they hire some Spanish faggots instead of PB to make it (probably time and money)?

:betrayed:

Pb said multiple times that they are not interested in Gothic anymore. When they were bought by THQ Nordic they also sold all rights to the Gothic franchise.

Last edited:

hexer

Well, I gave it a chance but uninstalled it after experiencing "the AAA nu-combat gimmick".
Complete trash - is this what kids these days find entertaining?
The only things I liked were the environment and exploration.

Also, anyone noticed how NPCs animations were given a complete makeover, aiming to be as varied as possible,
while the main character's animations are exactly the same as in Gothic 1?
If you leave him be, he'll just stand there frozen in his wide-arms stance.
Looks bad. Either also give him a makeover or make the NPCs more static.

:dead:

Gerrard

Arcane
Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

You guys failed every attempt to subjugate us, despite having at least 5x the resources, population and completely surround us. :lol:

And speaking of women. Every single female spaniard I've listened has a deeper voice than the men. I think it's clear who wears the penis in the relantionship. :positive:

Combat is also really bad. They made a poor man's version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance combat that feels like the world's longest QTE...

Honestly combat is the only improvement over any PB game.
It's a copy of For Honor's system, which is really good and has nothing of QTE.

Although as a side note, QTE's can be well used in a action game.

Last edited:

Garbage

Learned
ITT people pretending Gothic had extensive dialogue options and didn't have one of the worst UIs ever designed.

It's a 2001 PC game, I can't think of a single one that has UI that'd hold up today.
Gothic was always more about spending the first 10 minutes wondering how you actually pick up something from the ground and dying to two legged chickens than talking your way out of stuff.

Sentinel

Arcane
ITT people pretending Gothic had extensive dialogue options and didn't have one of the worst UIs ever designed.

It's a 2001 PC game, I can't think of a single one that has UI that'd hold up today.
Gothic was always more about spending the first 10 minutes wondering how you actually pick up something from the ground and dying to two legged chickens than talking your way out of stuff.
Does 2002 count? Morrowind.

hexer

Interestingly, the Steam page shows release date as December 2021.

Also, it's sad to see younger devs are calling demos "prototypes and unusual approaches" now

Q: Wait, why can we only play two hours?
A: Because it’s just a prototype, done by a new small team in Barcelona and we wanted to do an unusual approach and give this into the hands of players early. What you are going to play is all we have to show you at the moment.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First impressions, combat is basically copied from For Honor. I played that for 20ish hours with my cousin. I didn't dislike the combat in For Honor, but it isn't really what I want from Gothic. The game is doing its best to try and blind me. Wtf are they thinking? The bloom is 50 times worse than Oblivion or any other game guilty of trying to blind you. I'll play a little bit more in a few hours.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You can't remake a master piece.

You can even improve it:

resident_evil_remake_poster___the_remake_by_iceweb38-d5fjavm.png

ADL

Prophet
I really can't stand the aesthetic of Unreal Engine 4.
You are so fucking dumb you can't even see how dumb you are.

Just because it's an engine with the ability to extensively modify the default shaders doesn't mean developers actually do. Every Unreal Engine 4 game, commercial or otherwise looks like plastic shit for a reason. The lighting system doesn't help much either.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Also, it's sad to see younger devs are calling demos "prototypes and unusual approaches" now

Q: Wait, why can we only play two hours?
A: Because it’s just a prototype, done by a new small team in Barcelona and we wanted to do an unusual approach and give this into the hands of players early. What you are going to play is all we have to show you at the moment.
I played it for like 6 hours total, the content that's there so far is more like 4 than 2 hours if you actually explore and stuff.

Anyway, I finished this and overall it kinda grew on me a bit. It's not exactly the "Gothic" I know and love but it showed some promise and by the end I wanted to play some more. I think the main issue is that they're trying to call this a Remake when the characters come off like entirely different people, especially compared to the protagonist of the Original Gothic. Maybe they'd be better off making it a Prequel or something with the same Setup, factions and people in general but a different story than try to "Remake" it, which will undoubtedly step on some people's toes.

The worst part of the Test Build is the very beginning, it starts like a bad Michael Bay movie instead of relatively uneventful Low Fantasy fare. The protagonist is also too chatty (especially during said Intro, commenting and externalizing his monologue over every little thing) and seems more like a pretty boy than a tough convicted criminal.

The second worst part was the Post-Processing stuff and Bloom/Lensflare and whatever as demonstrated on the previous page. Something ain't right there. Also not a big fan of the new combat system, but it could potentially grow on me. I'm just not seeing how it's going to be particularly great against 5+ enemies and it's going to be abused by just fighting, then going into the menu to heal up and continuing on.

For people here, I'd recommend you download and play it yourself before it disappears from Steam in a few days and leave some honest Feedback, either on their Teaser Survey or through other channels instead of being all edgy and crying about it on the Codex, which isn't actually going to achieve anything.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSftJZUc28IwT7PS9C2emlZXT9bIDiu-P69y68hjzZW6j_42tw/viewform
https://steamcommunity.com/app/950670/discussions/0/3145133021635977487/

They’re probably going to make another Gothic at some point anyway, might as well try to provide some Feedback to try and guide them in a desired direction a bit, since they’re asking for it and seemingly taking it somewhat seriously.
gVfLur1.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Does 2002 count? Morrowind.
Morrowind's UI was unresponsive and nearly everything being done by mouse inputs was kind of ass. It just wasn't comfortable to use. I much prefer a list with item names controlled largely by keyboard inputs than mouse inputs.
I'd say Deus Ex was solid, partially as that wasn't a game so reliant on menuing and didn't have a wide variety of items, but it was barebones and functional and I didn't feel complete despair using it. Morrowind did have the right idea on just about everything but the inventory in its UI though, but since the inventory is what you are interacting with the most that knocks it down to a 4/10 for me.

They removed the line in the starting cinematic where Nameless One ask the procurator to stop reciting his conviction sentence, because it's "useless talking"
In return they added a few dozen new lines.
The results? Our new protagonist with dozens of lines has a less defined character than the one that had a single one.

We are off to the good start.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Sorry, but RE1 was not a master piece.

Then neither was the first Gothic.
-the crime system is broken
-combat is silly
-the factions don't matter all that much
-the main quest isn't as good as the side quests and other activities in the world
-you can't properly solo as a mage
-non-combat skills are an afterthought

Sure the game is great and a classic, but a flawed one.

RE1 has a consitent quality throughout the entire game. It just needed some polish, thigher direction and better visuals+audio (all thing the remake does).

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's also pretty dumb and nonsensical that you can't pick anything up until the forced intro sequence is over.

Equally dumb is NH being surprised at the sight of Scavengers and Snappers, pretty common creatures all around Khorinis and Myrtana...

hexer

There is also a lame explosion at the start of the game, but I am more triggered by the fact that walking through fire doesn't hurt our character.

The scene where he lights a torch while surrounded by a blazing inferno to "see better in the dark" takes the prize for the stupidest gaming moment of 2019.

:excellent:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom