Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News THQ Nordic want to remake Gothic, playable teaser released to owners of previous Piranha Bytes games

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
is this fucking real?
SyXLKGb.png

i suddenly have the urge to commit arson.

also heard from reddit thread there is a fucking quest marker for fuck's sake. MOOOOOM where are our torches??!!!

What to do?
Why me?

These are the same reactions people seem to have to this remake.

Elex

Arbiter
remaster with better UI and better control scheme.
stop.
no need of that modern stuff that add nothing usefull.

thesecret1

Arcane
Alright, ways to objectively improve G1:
-redo the inventory
-fix in-game economy so that you don't end up with 30k magic ore you can't spend
-put in G2 controls
-better compatibility with older systems
-graphics facelift
-better VAs for the english version
And that's it. That's all that a remake ought to do and nothing more.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
....and refund requested. They already fucked up the intro by having the lift explode for some stupid reason instead of the iconic greeting by the guards. The main character also talks to himself too much and has a dumb cockney accent.
What kind of refund? It's free. :lol:

harhar!

Augur
You can give the developers feedback here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSftJZUc28IwT7PS9C2emlZXT9bIDiu-P69y68hjzZW6j_42tw/viewform

My comments:

I'd buy a good Gothic 1 remake but this isn't it. The MC looks like a bargain bin Geralt, the world lacks the original's athmosphere, the voice acting is bad, opening cutscene strips agency from the player, the inventory takes you out of the game and looks consolized, markers over NPCs and items are stupid, music is bland, the story is bland and the opening reminds me of a second-rate action game.

The MC should be in the middle of the screen with more zoom out, instead of to the side. He also talks WAY too much. The FO4 dialogue wheel is an abomination. Why can't I take the sword from the burning corpse when I arrive? Why can't I try to attack the dude who guards it? The looting window disappears too slowly. Choosing to kill someone should be an in-game mechanical choice. Other NPCs shouldn't always kill the MC. Climbing is too restricted. Invisible walls suck. The hints for the quests are a little on the nose. The magical barrier is ugly.

Some good things: There are some nice secret areas with extra loot. Multiple quest solutions are nice. Hints from NPCs/objects instead of a quest marker.

In conclusion, very little reminds me of Gothic. There are only some superficial elements remaining. Why would you replace great music from KAIRO with this bland mix? This remake should be much, much closer to the original and understand what made it great before changing anything.

Dexter

Arcane
PSA from the other thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-thq-nordic-playable-teaser-available.131114/

If you wanna play this, they seem to have badly screwed up some settings like Post-Processing and/or Shadows, play around with those for better results:

Post Processing & Shadows on Epic:

a1je.png
a1jj.png
a1k1.jpg

Post Processing and Shadows on Low:
a1jh.png
a1jl.png
a1k2.jpg

If you don't want to turn everything off you should at least disable Motion Blur to make faces not blur over your screen and wolves look less like crazy fuzzballs, you can disable Motion Blur in the Engine.ini located at: "Steam\steamapps\common\THQBCNP1\GothicRemake\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor"

Add this to the end:
[SystemSettings]
r.MotionBlur.Max=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0

For people that want changes to be made I'd recommend you download and play the Teaser yourself before it disappears from Steam in a few days and leave some honest Feedback, either on their Teaser Survey or through other channels like Steam or Discord instead of being all edgy and crying about it on the Codex, which isn't actually going to achieve anything.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSftJZUc28IwT7PS9C2emlZXT9bIDiu-P69y68hjzZW6j_42tw/viewform
https://steamcommunity.com/app/950670/discussions/0/3145133021635977487/

They’re probably going to make another Gothic at some point anyway, might as well try to provide some Feedback to try and guide them in a desired direction a bit, since they’re asking for it and seemingly taking it somewhat seriously.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If they got the IP back and might have the code for the original game why not hand that over to Deepdive or another studio that can do an updated version of the games with support for modern systems, resolutions, tweaks and be done for? I bet if they just did that as an add on to the games for say $5 they would easily sell 15,000 upgrades easily for a very cheap update instead of this...
Makes me want to replay Gothic, will start tonight

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Meh. And that green and white bar above the player's head is ugly and distracting. Also, why are the puddles sloping downhill?

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Oh, please, Murk. Now you are going to tell me that Gothic camera was good? That thing give me motion sickness, ffs!

This new one gives me a headache (not an exaggeration, it is painful on my eyes and often I had to look away from the screen because of it's fucked up FOV -- it reminded me of original Metro 2033's view tbh) and can't be zoomed out. When you are in combat, you have no clue how far/close you are to an enemy either and can't pan it around properly to get a good feel.

I would 100% prefer the original's, or Risen's, or even Elex's. This one sucks ass.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's the stupid over-shoulder crammed FOV modern AAA games seem to love. I guess it works well with the shitty QTE combat. If you had a proper combat system you'd need a more centered and wider angle on the player character.

Murk

Arcane
It's the stupid over-shoulder crammed FOV modern AAA games seem to love. I guess it works well with the shitty QTE combat. If you had a proper combat system you'd need a more centered and wider angle on the player character.

They seemed to have realized this in some part, because if you just unsheathe your weapon, it goes to a centered and broader view (which is then undone when you lock-on, which you sort of have to in order to do the stupid directional duel nonsense).

It's just a frankenstein's monster of features, all haphazardly thrown together, none of which are at all close to the original game.

Fine, fuck it, change the combat and mechanics -- but make it an actual improvement (or in this case, we'd be lucky if it was at least a neutral lateral change).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom