Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Can we please stop calling RPGs without gameplay Adventures?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing this awesome adventure game:

5V07HXI.jpg

I couldn't resist:
5V07HXI.jpg
There is always that guy to commit sudoku, I guess.
I love those puzzles.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Besides categories like adventure or RPG, there's just the fact that as a whole, we often call "video games" things that aren't "video games", ie, activities that normally, if not in a computer/console format, would not be called a "game" in real life. Selecting dialogue trees occasionally is no more gaming than reading a CYOA book is. Solving a physical puzzle is a form of gaming. The Rubix cube is a physical game. Reading a book isn't a game. But why is reading a book suddenly a game when it's on a computer with no interactive element other than picking a sentence?

Video games, like the name imply, are simply the electronic form of gaming. Gaming existed before video games and will exist long after the end of civilization. Gaming is an activity that requires active paricipants, not passive mouth breathers.

Sitting on a couch and watching cutscenes is like sitting on a couch and watching a movie. It's not gaming. There's nothing you're 'playing'.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Besides categories like adventure or RPG, there's just the fact that as a whole, we often call "video games" things that aren't "video games", ie, activities that normally, if not in a computer/console format, would not be called a "game" in real life. Selecting dialogue trees occasionally is no more gaming than reading a CYOA book is. Solving a physical puzzle is a form of gaming. The Rubix cube is a physical game. Reading a book isn't a game. But why is reading a book suddenly a game when it's on a computer with no interactive element other than picking a sentence?

Video games, like the name imply, are simply the electronic form of gaming. Gaming existed before video games and will exist long after the end of civilization. Gaming is an activity that requires active paricipants, not passive mouth breathers.
Is navigating a Blu-Ray play menu to select the part of the story you want to view next a form of gameplay? This is what the modern trend of story games amounts to.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
cyoa001f.jpg

Unfortunately, many Codexers aren't familiar with Choose Your Own Adventure books and confuse CYOA-style computer games with the adventure game genre that originated with Colossal Cave Adventure and Zork. Disco Elysium isn't any more of an adventure game than it is an RPG.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
cyoa001f.jpg

Unfortunately, many Codexers aren't familiar with Choose Your Own Adventure books and confuse CYOA-style computer games with the adventure game genre that originated with Colossal Cave Adventure and Zork. Disco Elysium isn't any more of an adventure game than it is an RPG.

I had Steve Jackson's Sorcery when I was young. Disco Elysium is basically a digital version of that.

V_K

Arcane
Can we please stop calling RPGs without (or with little/unimportant) combat "RPGs with no gameplay"?
The Council has no combat, but it has gameplay in the form of puzzles and resource management. Titan Outpost has no combat but it has gameplay in the form of survival, simulation and (much more detailed) resource management. But when all you do in a game is pick one out of four dialog options - that's no gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I would stop calling rpg every outadeted ugly boring team isometric games codexers like. You aren't roleplaying anyone, since you control a team. Either you have a multiple personality disorder and different sides of you roleplay a char, or roleplay some sort of puppeter controlling them all.
Just call these luckily niche ( and for a good reason) things isometric adventure games

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom