Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games That Cheat To Allow Retadred Players To Succeed/Proceed To The Next Level?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I want to decide for myself if and when to cheat. Period.

I remember playing that Mad Max game by the Just Cause developers, and during a crucial main quest event, I kept failing again and again and unable to proceed. Then, much to my shock, the game sensed my severe mental retadration and automatically sent me to the next cut-scene, as if I had succeeded. I felt a strange outrage over this. Is this a new thing of the last generation of gamers or did previous games do this too? What are some other examples of games, old or recent, that cheated to allow you to get to the next level?

Interesting. Didn't know this about Mad Max. Are you sure? I remember losing a couple of times in the first boss battle but it never skipped the fight.

Well, I suppose it could have been a bug but what happened occurred in the major gladiatorial race during a main quest event required to progress. I failed about 6 consecutive times and was just about to fail on the 7th when the screen faded to black and transitioned to the cut scene where the big baddie told me I won but not to get too excited about it 'cos the worst was yet to come <insert mad maniacal laughter here>. I was playing AssCreed 4: Black Flag a few months ago and I also experienced a sudden inexplicable resolution in a major quest where I did NOTHING, but I'm pretty sure it was the friend-turned-foe AI (voiced by Ralph Ineson with that sexy beast of a bass voice) accidentally blowing himself up above me on the ledge with his dynamite.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember playing that Mad Max game by the Just Cause developers, and during a crucial main quest event, I kept failing again and again and unable to proceed. Then, much to my shock, the game sensed my severe mental retadration and automatically sent me to the next cut-scene, as if I had succeeded. I felt a strange outrage over this. Is this a new thing of the last generation of gamers or did previous games do this too? What are some other examples of games, old or recent, that cheated to allow you to get to the next level?
not quite the same, but a lot of modern games (like nutomb raider, or jedi fallen order) have a feature where main character loudly says "i need to do that and do this and then climb up here" if you've spent too much time on some climbing puzzle.

I think you can turn those hints off in the main menu. Never tested it myself.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Dying Light. On the road to the last mission if you keep failing it just skips you ahead. A good decision though, since if you start it at night one of the sections is practically impossible or extremely difficult since Volatiles will get you while you are trying to open a sewer gate that takes about 10 or 15 seconds, and one hit will cancel the animation. As far as I know it doesn't skip you ahead elsewhere, before or after.
GTA V does as well, if you keep failing it will just show a skip button eventually. I believe that's the case on almost everything.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Dying Light. On the road to the last mission if you keep failing it just skips you ahead. A good decision though, since if you start it at night one of the sections is practically impossible or extremely difficult since Volatiles will get you while you are trying to open a sewer gate that takes about 10 or 15 seconds, and one hit will cancel the animation. As far as I know it doesn't skip you ahead elsewhere, before or after.
GTA V does as well, if you keep failing it will just show a skip button eventually. I believe that's the case on almost everything.

Heh, I just finished the original campaign for Dying Light tonight in fact (also started The Following) but didn't experience that myself, but I think I might have an aptitude for parkouring or running and gunning in games whilst doing the balance beam thing so I didn't fall much, or at least not too much. One thing I am starting to appreciate more is save points (something I once hated) as QoL enhancements. On that last wild run you speak of I did fall a few times with that harrowing "greatest hits" of all the games previous horrors chasing my ass and the game always reloaded from a very reasonable point not too far away. No greater sin in modern gaming AFAIC than developers who make you start from the beginning of a level/area with respawned enemies (but no ammo replenishment) when you get fucked up by a boss. This was a problem I had with the Grim Dawn expansion(s) which ultimately forced me to rage-quit. It's pure tedium.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Heh, I just finished the original campaign for Dying Light tonight in fact (also started The Following) but didn't experience that myself, but I think I might have an aptitude for parkouring or running and gunning in games whilst doing the balance beam thing so I didn't fall much, or at least not too much
That wasn't a parkour zone. I was talking about this area right here. Now that I think about it, I might have been able to do it with flares to keep the Volatile away, but flares are a little wonky and there's been times where they have hit me while I am standing in the middle of them.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I remember playing some of the newer Mortal Kombat games some time ago and losing some fights a few times in a row. A couple of attempts later the fight would be a piece of cake.
Surely the game scales the difficulty down after the player loses some fights.

In the old days I played MKII, getting rekt by Kintaro\Shao Kahn, and practice was the only solution.

It was really disappointing to experience that mechanic, and it kind of takes away your motivation to get better because you know you'll win the fight anyway in the end.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I was playing more of the Dying Light: The Following expansion today and there's a quest where you have to make your way through a long underwater passage in a cave to kill some kind of monster that's stealing food from villages. It was enjoyable since you have to manage your air, follow a rope and lights, and could easily get turned around and drown if careless. I found the monster (one of those creepy baby-things) and it killed me. Then the quest mysteriously got tagged as finished. Too bad since i was looking forward to going back in there and finishing it off. I hate when you get robbed of completing an interesting quest due to a bug or by design.

rohand

Cipher
I only saw it by myself twice, after a lost fight in Injustice the enemy became stupidly easier.
In Sonic Lost World (LOL) when you die too many times a wing little power up appears that let you skip the section.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Deponia asks you if you want to skip its non-adventure game puzzles. Which is a great tempting feature because they go to another level of moon logic even compared to the main game.

Still I have no respect for anyone who skips them as they are often super interesting. For example having an autist that only makes three different grunts sequentially which are then interpreted by a third party as different instructions; so you need to make sure you ask her the right question at the right time, excellent gameplay.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Uncharted plays itself & Tomb Raider Lara is so floaty like a butterfly you will hard pressed to fail any platforming challenges. Not to mention most of them don't even have the possibility to fail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom