Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Dexter

Arcane
To be honest, of all the things one could complain about this demo, "it's too shiny and bright" may very well be one of the stupidest.
Bruh, it's BLINDINGLY obvious there's something horribly wrong with their Post-Processing. I'm frankly surprised that someone didn't point that out and fix it before they released their Teaser/Demo.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So does it has a character creation system?
Why would it? It's Gothic.

no, it's not gothic. this doesn't have some of the key ingredients that PB applies to their games
Also the level design seems very overdone. "we have some free space in here,lets fill it with generic boxes unity assets". Gothic games do have very simple and practical level design,places had logical things and not filled with pointless clutter. The more i see of that shit,the more generic and modern looks.

Bruh, it's BLINDINGLY obvious there's something horribly wrong with their Post-Processing. I'm frankly surprised that someone didn't point that out and fix it before they released their Teaser/Demo.
Yeah, the post processing is complete garbage in this demo...
Which doesn’t have a fucking thing to do with the alleged problem of being “too colorful”.

Dexter

Arcane
Which doesn’t have a fucking thing to do with the alleged problem of being “too colorful”.
"it's too shiny and bright" may very well be one of the stupidest.
It is too shiny and bright though. It's like that Oblivion shining/glowing NPC thing, but instead it's everything:
WoHrf17.jpg
LhtDoeN.jpg

Regarding too colorful, that's another thing entirely and not what you first said, but I can also see it as a complaint, since it sets an entirely different mood while the Original Gothic had more of a gloomy/dreary and bleak mood set both by the somewhat faded colors and the music, and the Remake does indeed feel more colorful and happy, you don't get the same feeling of having been gut-punched and thrown down a hole to be left to die:

Some people seem to be playing around with Reshade to try and recreate that, not sure I necessarily agree that it's making anything better in that case though: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/10244/
gothicremake.png

Last edited:
Imagine being autistic to the point you “play around with reshade” to put your piss filter on anything and make it bleak enough.

Anyway, the *actual* issue either current post-processing is an ungodly amount of blur. It makes the entire screen feel like someone smeared it in Vaseline every time something moves.

Also, abuse of lens flare.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
When you are too strong and influential to then to stop.

I did this shit rigth on chapter 1.

But G1 gives way more freedom to your character than G2. In this aspects

But that wasn't the point I was making.
Your choice of faction has no impact on the main quest and game world.

Some main quests are fetch quests like picking healing herbs for y'berrion BUT the same can be said to Gothic 2.

Why are bringing up G2?
We are talking G1 here. And the fact is, after chapter 1 the main quest (and even the side quests) continuously declines in quality.

In EVERY PB game, you can't beat using spells only.

Yes.
And that's what I meant you can't properly do a mage run.

PB world is not a very high magical setting.

:nocountryforshitposters:

There are all manner of fantastical creatures, wizard guilds, prophecies, divine artifacts and magic is powerful and has concrete rules.
And all these things are common (well except the artifacts).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's just a general overuse of post-processing effects. Too much lens flare, chromatic aberration (at all, it ALWAYS looks like shit), ambient occlusion, bloom, motion blur and most of all a poor anti aliasing method; not sure what they are using, my guess is some sort of TAA but no matter the case I don't like it. It makes the picture soft and lack detail.
It just looks like they fucked around in the UE editor sliders a bit too much, making the end result look shoddy and low budget.

Crikey, I really hate chromatic aberration. It's the worst post processing effect ever; an absolute mistake.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Not high Magic setting? WTF
It's a game set in a valley where miners mine magical ore under a magical dome created by 13/12 mages where a huge Demon uses Magic to mind control magic to trick people into freeing him.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I'd be more interested in a remaster than a remake. Gothic I and II were good the way they were, for the most part. Trying to remake them is dubious at best and can end badly at worst.

Still, it's nice to see that there are more developers out there who notice that players want to play classics updated to modern hardware standards (something different what GOG offers. Hell, in some cases GOG can offer straight up broken games, with no promises they will work on your system. I am looking at you, Chaos Gate). If you can't make an original game, then remastering a classic is the way to go. Again, remastering, not remaking though.

Elex

Arbiter
The teaser is 70% positive. LOL!
Y9SoesE.jpg
people have the false idea that they have to give positive feedback for make them working on the remake.

being a yesman is always the road to a disaster.

it simple just tell “i want it but not like that:
-reduces cutscenes
-no simplified dialogue option
-no for honor combat
-original music
-stick to the original focus on improve the old stuff don’t try to reinvent the game because people learned to love the strange and broken thing of the original “
simple feedback direct and clear.

people don’t know how to give feedback and as result 95% of the feedback are useless.

Nines_Anarch

Learned
Already uninstalled. It was worse than I thought. Hopefully it will never see the light. If you want to play Gothic, just play it. The game was released 18 years ago. Still is one of the best RPGs ever made.

But this is not Gothic and will never be. BarcelonaStudio failed miserably to capture the essence of the original game since the first minute. Those explosions killed it.

I miss the good old days:

The Steam positive feedback just proves that we will never see a game like Gothic anymore. People approves mediocrity.

I did not even bother to post a review there... the game sucks in every single aspect. They should redo the prototype right from the start. It is not even fun to play.

I can see why Piranha Bytes stated that they would never do a remake from this game. It doesn't need it.
It would be Ok if the do some sort of "remaster" but not a remake.

I am glad PB is working on ELEX 2 instead of wasting their time in something like this uggly remake.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Not high Magic setting? WTF
It's a game set under a magical dome created by 13/12 mages where a huge Demon uses Magic to mind control people into freeing him.
you forgot the magical ore mine.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a low fantasy setting in the sense that magic and mages are rare. Yeah, you are in an enchanted dome created by a ritual involving a demon, but that's a unique thing in the world (afaik?) and doesn't happen every other day. You have to go through a bunch of hoops to become a mage as well.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Did they make this game demo in one afternoon or what? It looks like every other Unreal Engine cash grab early access game on Steam. Zero art style, atmosphere and uniqueness to it.

typical user

Arbiter
I understand the explosion on the elevator - it looks kinda stupid that guardsmen would just throw every convict from a cliff into a pond - especially one with an important letter. They did it to sort of "get-real", although having Rookie comment every stupid thing he does and being calm around raging fire is next level autism. Diego also telling straight of the bat he is leader of Shadows of the Old Camp and acting like Casanova feels ridiculous.

The combat is an interesting choice but I would like Sekiro system - would have more room for skillful play and scale better, as the room for parry would get bigger, attacks faster, longer stamina/poise bar etc.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's a low fantasy setting in the sense that magic and mages are rare.

There are multiple mage organizations and schools.
Some of those literally accept anyone as long as they have the coin to join them.
Any schmuck can cast a spell if they have a scroll. Which can be created by anyone with magical knowledge and a piece of paper/parchement.
There is an abundance of magical creatures roaming the wilds
The priests themselves are mages!

How can you think any of this rare?
Rare would be if there were only about 10 mages for the whole fucking planet, and they all lived in the furthest corners of the earth.

Harthwain

Magister
Rare would be if there were only about 10 mages for the whole fucking planet, and they all lived in the furthest corners of the earth.
"Rare" is a relative term.

Imagine living during the medieval times. People who knew how to write and read were rare. I am going to assume Gothic goes for the same level of rarity, considering how mages were organized in Gothic I and II.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
One thing that does make more sense in the teaser though:
The exchange place seems better defended.
That was really a little flaw in G1.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"Rare" is a relative term.

Imagine living during the medieval times. People who knew how to write and read were rare. I am going to assume Gothic goes for the same level of rarity, considering how mages were organized in Gothic I and II.

Considering every member of the clergy could read and write, that would mean that even the most remote, backwater village would have at least one person that could do magic.
That would definitively make the Gothic setting high fantasy, where mages are a part of normal everyday life.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't think people living in a Spanish/Catalonian hipster city can get the Gothic vibe. I think even Poles from Warsaw would have problems.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are multiple mage organizations and schools.
Some of those literally accept anyone as long as they have the coin to join them.
Any schmuck can cast a spell if they have a scroll. Which can be created by anyone with magical knowledge and a piece of paper/parchement.
There is an abundance of magical creatures roaming the wilds
The priests themselves are mages!

You assume anyone can get the coin required to join a school or have magical knowledge to cast spells from scrolls. I wouldn't say they are magical creatures well, they are simply bigger and more aggressive natural wildlife. Aka Australia.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Watched this a bit when Cohh played it. It looked generic, uninspired and clueless. THQ Barcelona came across as a low-grade, talentless studio. If I was a part of a team with the ambition to remake the original Gothic, one of the most revered RPGs ever made, this prototype would go public only over my dead, eviscerated body.

I absolutely desire remakes of grorious old games but not like this bros, not like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom