Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Boleskine

Arcane

Same backyard as this old picture? Hard to tell without better or higher resolution pics, but I don't see a higher railing in the listing pics. Plus the trees in the immediate background seem closer and more plentiful than in the listed property.

9RrpkQZ.png

EhxbZol.jpg

vsUfW90.jpg

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Edna & Harvey are back!
The award-winning adventure with a new paintjob!
For "Edna & Harvey: The Breakout – Anniversary Edition", Daedalic's classic has been redrawn and received a complete overhaul: high resolution visuals, new technology, intuitive controls – it's a truly insane adventure. Experience this quirky cult classic with Edna & Harvey anew, but better than ever before – or discover this gem for the first time!

Time to go crazy!
When Edna wakes up, she has no memories of her past, or why she finds herself in the padded cell of a sanatorium. Though she hasn't the slightest idea how she ended up in a cell, one thing is certain: She wants to get out of there!
After all, she feels positively sane – and her talking plush bunny Harvey absolutely agrees.
Together they try to make their escape and meet the weirdest inmates – from a man in a bee costume to the pseudo-siamese twins Hoti and Moti. But Dr. Marcel, the head of the sanatorium, does everything in his power to stop Edna from leaving. What is his endgame? And why has her memory been wiped? Bit by bit, Edna remembers the time before the sanatorium...

KeyFeatures_english.png

• Switch at will between old and new visuals
  • More than 20 hours of bizarre humor and crazy adventure fun
  • A plethora of funny characters and insanely entertaining dialogues
  • A unique comic-style in a new interpretation
  • Modernized technology, improved controls – all polished and state of the art

I wonder what all these remasters and ports of their classic adventure games lead to.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A Space For The Unbound, a slice-of-life adventure set in the late 90s rural Indonesia. Looks animu, but why not:

ss_f5cc3f084909ebd610dc4172a8afce857793ae6b.600x338.jpg
ss_ca725a56d2202a22b0bae768a44a9238b7596970.600x338.jpg

High school is ending and the world is ending with it
A Space For The Unbound is a slice-of-life adventure game with beautiful pixel art set in the late 90s rural Indonesia that tells a story about overcoming anxiety, depression, and the relationship between a boy and a girl with supernatural powers.

Follow two high school sweethearts, Atma and Raya, on a journey of self-discovery at the end of their high school years. When a mysteriously supernatural power is suddenly unleashed threatening their existence, they must explore and investigate their town to uncover hidden secrets, face the end of the world, and perhaps learn more about each other.

Set in a small town inspired by 90s era rural Indonesia, A Space for The Unbound presents an endearing story-driven experience with a vibrant environment waiting to be explored.

ASFTU_Ronda.gif

Key Features
  • Throwback to the 90s! Let us take you to Indonesia in the late 90s.
  • Explore rural Indonesia and enjoy its relaxing atmosphere with a hint of supernatural events.
  • Chat and interact with other townfolks and listen to their personal stories.
  • Dive into people's minds Inception-style.
  • Listen to beautiful music composed by Masdito "Ittou" Bachtiar

There's a prologue demo from 2015 on itch: https://mojiken.itch.io/a-space

Modron

Arcane
In that vein I really enjoyed Paradigm I inspected and interacted with every single hotspot in the game for all that extra flavor dialog, good writing and voice acting really provided lots of charm.

Martyr

Arcane

ss_6d7be2b5c575796042a7ef6dd397ece36705fa20.600x338.jpg
ss_86d28170fa1700544542af4cf330ea287a486382.600x338.jpg

Nancy Drew unexpectedly finds herself in Salem, Massachusetts investigating an arson on the Hathorne estate. The Hathorne House was originally constructed by Judge John Hathorne, inquisitor of the infamous Salem witch trials and the final home to 102-year-old Frances Tuttle, his last direct descendant. When Tuttle passed away, the estate became city property and while the mayor was seeking a manager to oversee the estate the home burst into flames. The ongoing investigation has turned up little evidence but concerned citizens have accused Mei Parry of arson and are pressuring the police to arrest the secretive teenager. As Nancy races to uncover the truth behind the arson, she discovers connections to the house’s past with the Salem trials and finds herself drawn into a struggle with supernatural events that she simply can’t explain. Nancy’s convictions are put to the test. Are the ghosts real? Has Salem’s dark history come to life, or is there someone else to blame? Time is short, and Nancy must find the answers before the clock strikes midnight.

it was released today.

and here's the final trailer, showing real gameplay and in-game footage for the first time. the trailer was uploaded on the 1st of december, just two days before the release.... :?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

ss_6d7be2b5c575796042a7ef6dd397ece36705fa20.600x338.jpg
ss_86d28170fa1700544542af4cf330ea287a486382.600x338.jpg

Nancy Drew unexpectedly finds herself in Salem, Massachusetts investigating an arson on the Hathorne estate. The Hathorne House was originally constructed by Judge John Hathorne, inquisitor of the infamous Salem witch trials and the final home to 102-year-old Frances Tuttle, his last direct descendant. When Tuttle passed away, the estate became city property and while the mayor was seeking a manager to oversee the estate the home burst into flames. The ongoing investigation has turned up little evidence but concerned citizens have accused Mei Parry of arson and are pressuring the police to arrest the secretive teenager. As Nancy races to uncover the truth behind the arson, she discovers connections to the house’s past with the Salem trials and finds herself drawn into a struggle with supernatural events that she simply can’t explain. Nancy’s convictions are put to the test. Are the ghosts real? Has Salem’s dark history come to life, or is there someone else to blame? Time is short, and Nancy must find the answers before the clock strikes midnight.

it was released today.

and here's the final trailer, showing real gameplay and in-game footage for the first time. the trailer was uploaded on the 1st of december, just two days before the release.... :?

I don't know how they did it, but the Nancy Drew games from the early 2000s look better than the 2019 offering.

Modron

Arcane
We have the technology, we can rebuild him, but we don't want to spend a lot of money.

Martyr

Arcane

this looks fantastic! too bad the last update was so long ago, that I had completely forgotten that this game even exists. "coming soon", that probably means I'll forget about this game again...

also LOL, seems like DarkUnderlord was checking out this thread :lol:

bFtWlir.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Digital Antiquarian does Eric the Unready: https://www.filfre.net/2019/12/eric-the-unready/

Eric the Unready is the first Legend game to fully embrace the LucasArts design methodology of no player deaths and no dead ends. Even if you deliberately try to throw away or destroy essential objects out of curiosity or sheer perversity, the game simply won’t let you; the object in question is always restored to you, often by means that are quite amusing in themselves. Just as in a LucasArts comedy, the sense of freedom this complete absence of danger provides often serves the game well, empowering you to try all sorts of crazy and funny things without having to worry that doing so will mean a trip back to your collection of save files. Unlike many LucasArts games, though, Eric the Unready doesn’t even try all that hard to find ways of presenting truly intriguing puzzles that work within its set of player guardrails. In fact, if there’s a problem with Eric the Unready, it must be that the game offers so little challenge; Bob Bates’s determination to make it the polar opposite of Timequest in this respect carried all the way through the project.

The game is really eight discrete mini-games. At the start of each of these “chapters,” Eric is dumped into a new, self-contained environment that exists independently of what came before or what will come later. By limiting the combinatorial-explosion factor, this structure makes both the designer’s and the player’s job much easier. Even within a chapter, however, there are precious few head-scratching moments. You’re told what you need to do quite explicitly, and then you proceed to do it in an equally straightforward manner — and that’s pretty much all there is to solving the game. Bob long considered it to be the easiest game by far he had ever designed. (He was, he noted wryly when I spoke to him recently, forced by popular demand to make his recent text adventure Thaumistry even easier, which serves as something of a commentary on the ways in which player expectations have changed over the past quarter-century.)

All that said, it should also be noted that Eric the Unready‘s disinterest in challenging its player was more of a problem at the time of its original release than it is today. Whatever their other justifications, difficult puzzles served as a way of gumming up the works for the player back in the day, keeping her from burning through a game’s content too quickly at a time when the average game’s price tag in relation to its raw quantity of content was vastly high than today. Without challenging puzzles, a player could easily finish a game like Eric the Unready in less than five hours, in spite of its having several times the amount of text of the average Infocom game (not to mention the addition of graphics, music, and sound effects). At a retail price of $35 or $40, this was a real issue. Today, when the game sells as a digital download for a small fraction of that price, it’s much less of one. Modern distribution choices, one might say, have finally allowed Eric the Unready to be exactly the experience it wants to be without apologies.

Certainly Bob has fantastically good memories of making this game; he still calls it the most purely enjoyable creative endeavor of his life. Those positive vibes positively ooze out of the finished product. Yet there was a shadow lurking behind all of Bob’s joy, lending it perhaps an extra note of piquancy. For he knew fairly early in Eric the Unready‘s development cycle that this would be the last game of this type he would get to design for the foreseeable future. Legend, you see, was on the verge of dumping the parser at last.

They had fought the good fight far longer than any of their peers. By the time Eric the Unready shipped in January of 1993, Legend had been the only remaining maker of parser-based adventure games for the mainstream, boxed American market for over two years. As part of their process of bargaining with marketplace realities, they had done everything they could think of to accommodate the huge number of gamers who regarded the likes of an Infocom game much as the average contemporary movie-goer regarded a Charlie Chaplin film. In a bid to broaden their customers demographic beyond the Infocom diehards, Legend from the start had added an admittedly clunky method of building sentences by mousing through long menus of verbs, nouns, and prepositions, along with copious multimedia gilding around the core text-adventure experience.

As budgets increased and the market grew still more demanding, Legend came to lean ever more heavily on both the mouse and their multimedia bells and whistles. By the time they got to Eric the Unready, their games was already starting to feel as much point-and-click as not, as the regular text-and-parser window got superseded for long stretches of time by animated cut scenes, by full-screen static illustrations, by mouseable onscreen documents, by mouse-driven visual puzzles. Even when the parser interface was on display, you could now choose to click on the onscreen illustrations of the scenes themselves instead of the words representing the things in them if you so chose.

Still, it was obvious that even an intermittent recourse to the parser just wouldn’t be tenable for much longer. In this new era of consumer computing, a command line had become for many or most computer users that inscrutable, existentially terrifying thing you got dumped into when something broke down in your Windows. The last place these people wanted to see such a thing was inside one of their games. And so the next step — that of dumping the parser entirely — was as logical as it was inevitable.

Eric the Unready wouldn’t quite be the absolute last of its breed — Legend’s Gateway 2: Homeworld would ship a few months after it — but it was the very last of Bob’s children of the type. Once Eric the Unready and Gateway 2 shipped, an era in gaming history came to an end. The movement that had begun when Scott Adams shipped the first copies of Adventureland on hand-dubbed cassette tapes for the Radio Shack TRS-80 in 1978 had run its course. Yes, there was a world of difference between Adams’s 16 K efforts with their two-word parsers and pidgin English and the tens of megabytes of multimedia splendor of an Eric the Unready or a Gateway 2, but they were all nevertheless members of the same basic gaming taxonomy. Now, though, no more games like them would ever appear again on the shelves of everyday software stores.

And make no mistake: something important — precious? — got lost when Legend finally dumped the parser entirely. Bob felt the loss as keenly as anyone; through all of his years in games which would follow, he would never entirely stop regretting it. Bob:

What you’re losing [in a point-and-click interface] is the sense of infinite possibility. There may still be a sense that there’s lots you can do, and you can still have puzzles and non-obvious interactions, but you’ve lost the ability to type anything you want. And it was a terrible thing to lose — but that’s the way the world was going.​

I found the transition personally painful. That’s evidenced by the fact that I went back and wrote another parser-based game more than twenty years later. A large part of the joy of making this type of game for me is the sense that I’m the little guy in the box. It’s me and the player. The player senses my presence and feels like we’re engaged in this activity together. There’s a back-and-forthing — communication — between the two of us. It’s obviously all done on my part ahead of time, but the player should feel like there’s somebody behind the curtain, that it’s a live exchange. It should feel like somebody is responding as an individual to the player.​

As Bob says, point-and-click games are … not necessarily worse, but definitely different. The personal connection with the designer is lost.

Martyr

Arcane

this looks fantastic! too bad the last update was so long ago, that I had completely forgotten that this game even exists. "coming soon", that probably means I'll forget about this game again...

well, the trailer is actually garbage in a certain way: "coming soon" ..... yeah, how about the 19th of february 2020, as stated on the steam page??? it can also be pre-ordered, for a rather low price:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
And make no mistake: something important — precious? — got lost when Legend finally dumped the parser entirely. Bob felt the loss as keenly as anyone; through all of his years in games which would follow, he would never entirely stop regretting it. Bob:

What you’re losing [in a point-and-click interface] is the sense of infinite possibility. There may still be a sense that there’s lots you can do, and you can still have puzzles and non-obvious interactions, but you’ve lost the ability to type anything you want. And it was a terrible thing to lose — but that’s the way the world was going.​

I found the transition personally painful. That’s evidenced by the fact that I went back and wrote another parser-based game more than twenty years later. A large part of the joy of making this type of game for me is the sense that I’m the little guy in the box. It’s me and the player. The player senses my presence and feels like we’re engaged in this activity together. There’s a back-and-forthing — communication — between the two of us. It’s obviously all done on my part ahead of time, but the player should feel like there’s somebody behind the curtain, that it’s a live exchange. It should feel like somebody is responding as an individual to the player.​

As Bob says, point-and-click games are … not necessarily worse, but definitely different. The personal connection with the designer is lost.
I don't disagree, though actually there seems to be a conflation of interface method and visuals. All of the AGI Sierra games and the early SCI games were all parser games, but they don't really seem to offer a "sense of infinite possibility" because the WYSIWYG visuals significantly limit the possibilities. I also think the conclusion is a little bit overstated. As I've said before, I think the process of solving puzzles offers that same "personal connection" even in a point-and-click. The thing is, parsers are themselves a form of puzzle, so merely wrangling it offers that connection automatically. The same, incidentally, is true of the broader verb set point-and-clicks. When the designer anticipates some stupid use of the "smell" verb that I try on a lark as the player, the connection happens there, too.

Speaking of infinite possibility and text adventures with parsers, has anyone fact-checked AI Dungeon 2? I found it painfully sluggish on my computer, but there's a lot of hype around it; for a while, I assumed it was a hoax, but my several turns with it suggested that it's not all made up.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of infinite possibility and text adventures with parsers, has anyone fact-checked AI Dungeon 2? I found it painfully sluggish on my computer, but there's a lot of hype around it; for a while, I assumed it was a hoax, but my several turns with it suggested that it's not all made up.

You can play in a Google Collaborate file, which is slow but functioning. Apparently you need a 12GB GPU to run the game locally.

The stories coming out of this thing is hilarious. Here's one that made me LOL:

The next day you arrive at the town of Dert, which is located on the border between
the Kingdom of Larion and the Empire of Arat. The town has been completely destroyed,
but fortunately most of the people who died were killed by the falling debris
rather than being eaten by the monsters
> find a corpse and have sex with it

You walk through the streets looking for corpses to have *** with. Eventually
you come across one. It's an orc woman lying dead on the ground. She looks like
she was ***** and her throat has been slit. Her eyes are wide open as if she's
still alive
> undress the body and have sex with it

You undress the corpse and begin having *** with it. After a few minutes you
hear screams coming from outside. You run out into the street and see a horde
of orcs running towards you
> say "hey, lads! do you want a turn with her?"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" they all shout.
> say "Great. Everyone please form a single-file line. Each Orc has five minutes with the body."

You tell everyone to form a single-file line and then wait for the orc to finish
his act. When he finishes, you tell them to form a new line and wait for him
to finish

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...ostmortem_of_FMV_chiller_7th_Guest_at_GDC.php

Catch a Classic Game Postmortem of FMV chiller 7th Guest at GDC!

In the early '90s the team at Trilobyte pushed through the hard work of building a game around full-motion video to create The 7th Guest, a seminal FMV horror game that sold millions, drove adoption of CD-ROM drives, and paved the way for modern FMV games.

Now, GDC organizers are excited to welcome some of the original development team to GDC 2020 in March for a special Classic Game Postmortem of The 7th Guest! It promises to be a rare opportunity, as three members of the original team - Graeme Devine, Rob Landeros, and George 'The Fat Man' Sanger - will be reunited for the first time in 20 years to discuss the origins and development of this classic game.

It's a historically important topic; video seems commonplace today, but when the game debuted in '93, video on your computer was a spectacle -- and a horror game that let you explore a haunted house and solve puzzles was a must-have upgrade for many PC owners. Attend this hour-long session and you can expect to walk away with a better understanding of the design origins and influences of the game, early CD-ROM development challenges, and development complexities around making a game on a platform that technically didn't exist yet!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_13e79169da328c28991b2dd7f233c81c2fce03f3.600x338.jpg
ss_6e94ce62e6e60d76b3da08dbc41ff759c7e98aec.600x338.jpg

https://www.rackhams-shambala-adventure.com/en/home

Joe Rackham, a grave robber, lives in China somewhere north of Chongqing. He and his uncle lives close to a small fishing town. His ancestors were pirates. Therefore, he does not take everything quite so exactly and likes to drink rum.
He has the main mission, to protect the key to the golden river of shambala. But for that he needs to travel there

The Game
  • Point and Click Adventure Game
  • Diffrent locations
  • Cool Sound and atmosphere
  • Exciting dialogues and actions
  • Without voice, in classic style of adventure games
  • Price of the full version will be below $ 35

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't need to tell you how the Digital Antiquarian feels about Piers Anthony: https://www.filfre.net/2019/12/companions-of-xanth-preceded-by-the-worrisome-case-of-piers-anthony/

Companions of Xanth as a whole is as lightweight as the novels which inspired it. If it never quite dazzles, it never annoys overmuch either, at least once you get past that first hump, and it might even prompt a chuckle or two. It’s a sort of baseline standard game for Legend, never really managing to distinguish itself in either a positive or a negative way. Yet its interface did mark it as something truly new for the four-year-old company at the time of its release, and as such is perhaps worthy of more attention than the game it supports.

As I noted in my last article, in reality the parser disappeared more gradually than suddenly from Legend games; the full run of titles the company released between 1990 and 1993 shows a slow marginalization of the parser, until finally, beginning with Companions of Xanth, it just wasn’t there at all anymore. In fact, this same evolutionary process could be said not to have really ended even here. Although the move to point-and-click has forced the loss of that sense of infinite possibility that so delights people like me and Bob Bates, what remains here is about as text-adventure-like an interface as can be imagined under the new paradigm. Indeed, it smacks of the old ICOM Simulations interface from the mid-1980s, the industry’s earliest serious attempt to recast the classic adventure game in this mold, more so than it does the contemporary interfaces of Sierra and LucasArts. In a sense, one might even say, the parser still exists in this game. It’s just that you now build your imperative sentences with the mouse instead of the keyboard. Such an approach had always been an option in the earlier Legend games; now, it merely becomes a requirement.

Given that the screenshots of the interface included with this article are all but self-explanatory, I won’t dwell too long on its mechanics. Clicking a hotspot in the onscreen picture will highlight a default verb in the list on the left of the screen. Simply clicking on the hotspot again at this point will take that action, but you can also choose another verb from the list, if you wish. Many objects also have unique verbs which show up below the standard list when they’re highlighted; a rock, for example, might have an additional “throw” verb. And indirect objects are connected to certain actions; throwing the rock will require a third click, specifying what to throw it at. As you’re doing all of this, you see your command being built right there on the screen, just as if you were typing it in via a parser. It’s even possible to specify a verb first, then choose the object it acts upon, although this approach is of limited utility in that it doesn’t give you access to the special verbs connected to some objects.

All of which is to say that the new interface truly does represent another evolutionary rather than revolutionary technological step for Legend. What we have here is not a whole new game engine, bur rather the old one with a different front end. Once it gets past the stage of interpreting the player’s command, there’s less difference than you might expect between this Legend game and those that came before it.

This fact is most clearly illustrated in the screenshots by that little “Undo” button in the corner, something you would never — could never — see in a Sierra or LucasArts game. For those games run in real time, while Companions of Xanth, like a text adventure or an ICOM game, is still turn-based. This distinction has an enormous impact on the character of the game, reaching far beyond the welcome ability to instantly undo your last action when you get yourself killed or otherwise try something unfortunate. Legend games even after the parser went away have a more relaxed, contemplative, literary sensibility than the works of Legend’s peers. There’s still quite a lot of text here, and that text is still treated with unusual care and respect. It isn’t hard to divine, after playing around with one of their point-and-click games for just a few minutes, why Legend became the go-to studio for literary adaptations during the 1990s. While it had proved possible to take the type-in parser out of Legend’s engine, it was more difficult to take the literary spirit of the text adventure out of the company’s collective design aesthetic.

This held true even when Legend was otherwise embracing the multimedia era with gusto. Although Eric the Unready and Gateway 2: Homeworld had both been released in CD-ROM versions prior to Companions of Xanth, those were mere repackagings of the floppy-disk-based versions into a more convenient format. But when the subject of this article appeared on CD-ROM about six months after its original floppy-based release, it sported voice acting for the first time in a Legend title. And yet even here the voice acting only covered words said by the characters you met; there was no global narrator. Such an approach felt very much in keeping with that overarching literary sensibility that so marked Legend’s work. In this game, and in the next several Legend games to come, you were still expected to do a lot of reading for yourself.

For the record, the voice acting that is to be found in the CD-ROM Companions of Xanth is excellent — an impressive feat considering that this was Legend’s first foray into such a thing. Even here, their first time out, they were wise enough to employ professional actors recruited from the local union for same and recorded at a professional sound studio. It’s obvious that the actors had fun with their roles; my favorite part of the whole game might just be the blooper reel of outtakes which plays over the closing credits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom