Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blade Runner

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nightdive has been teasing re-release of this game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I hope they do. I never actually got to play the original back in the day, sadly. I would like to.

Modron

Arcane
Does the GOG version fix the shooting gallery and bomb explosion scene?
Scummvm added support for Blade Runner so I am just going to assume the gog version is bundled with that setup like they do with dos games being distributed with dosbox.

There is a seven year old unofficial fix as well (granted don't think westwood would want to enter into agreement with some modders in order to distribute BR) that somehow collectively escaped our notice until Jarpie highlighted it 2 years ago:
There is (supposedly) working patch for Blade Runner to make it run in modern computers:
https://www.replaying.de/files/blade-runner-patch-windows-vista-7-8-x64/

Falksi

Arcane
Remember this running like a stoned slug on my PC back then. Still finished it though, so must have liked it to have stuck with it through all the lag.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Scummvm added support for Blade Runner so I am just going to assume the gog version is bundled with that setup like they do with dos games being distributed with dosbox.

Most of GOG's old point and clickers come with ScummVM. It's actually somewhat annoying because it does a new ScummVM install with each one, instead of you just downloading the files, though I get why they have to do that for Mainstream Sally. Anyway, I'm sure Blade Runner is the same. Awesome to see they were able to get such a hard to license game. I "own" it already but I'll buy it ASAP anyway.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The unofficial patch also fixes all problems with modern systems. I finished the game a few months back with it. I guess using scummvm is easier now.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Could someone please give me a hint what the reflection in the moonbus photo is supposed to be? McCoy only says "that's damn strange" and I can't recognise anything :/. Thanks

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Could someone please give me a hint what the reflection in the moonbus photo is supposed to be? McCoy only says "that's damn strange" and I can't recognise anything :/. Thanks

Is this your first playthrough ?

It has been a while but :
Is there a character that McCoy thinks should not be in the picture ?
If yes, the fact that this character is not reflected hints towards one conclusion.

But the entire thing is not that important.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
But the entire thing is not that important.
I suppose it isn't, it just bothers me more than it should. Anyway, finished the 1st GOG-run (7h).

I believe that McCoy is surprised that he is not reflected on that part, meaning the picture is doctored.

If you haven't played the game enough, whatever you do, people will make you try to believe you are a replicant but...

Depending on the RNG, sometimes you actually are. The proof of the picture being doctored is a hint that you aren't in this particular playthrough.

hexer

Any news of a Steam release?
I would love to replay this gem again after so many years but my GOG account is locked forever.

hexer

What happened? And can't you open a new account?

What happened is that they implemented a security feature where you need to click on a link sent to your email after logging in.
However, the problem is that I deleted my gmail account due to all the data mining a few months before that and forgot to change it to a new email at GOG.
I changed it everywhere I could think of but simply forgot I used it at GoG too.
So I was unable to access my GOG account.

When I contacted their support in order for them to change my email, they asked me 5 hilarious security questions.
I have to answer correctly ALL of them in order for them to help me.
Some of these are impossible to answer because the info was in a gmail account I deleted.

a) The last 4 digits of a credit card that I used to make a purchase on their site,
b) The PayPal Transaction ID assigned to a purchase made on their site,
c) A key which I redeemed on their service,
d) Account's creation date (the year will be enough),
e) A list of few games I have in my library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing this for the first time, quite good. The dialog feels really stilted at times which I'm not sure if that's due to the randomization or just how they did it, but it's one of the few minor knocks against it. I'm still not really sure how the "User choice" for responses works. The only time I've had options in dialog is when I'm rattling off a list of questions and topics, like "Hammer, keychain, additional pylons" which doesn't really seem to fit with how that was presented. Either I haven't run into any of those moments yet (Doesn't seem likely given I'm a fair few hours in and a few acts in) or my understanding of what that even means is off. Also have no idea what the director's cut does but I left it off, may dive in a second time with it enabled just to see what happens.

Moral of the story though is now I want more adventure games like this. It does seem to be extremely easy but it's because everything makes sense, and rather than trying to figure out how to reach someone the "Puzzling" is more just trying to figure out what's going on. The mood's top notch too. I was never really big on adventure games in general but this one grabbed me by the balls as soon as I fired it up, kinda makes me sad that I've never played it until now, and didn't even buy it back in the day. Though again, probably because adventures usually aren't much my jam. Loom was probably my favorite until Primordia took that spot decades later, and I've been gradually getting into them more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom