Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex Kommunistic Kastle. Fortress. Dwarf Fortress.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
:salute: baud rest in piece

Well, since Baud has left pieces of teeth all over the fortress and is in a coma in the hospital, he's resting quite literally in pieces.

I like the image of sealing him under his own statue so whenever people go to pay their respects rumors will abound of hearing the tormented screaming of the damned and once every month howls and growls that seem to be coming from inside the fortress itself.

Honestly, that would be fucking Metal :bro:.

Sober until the end of his days. The horror.

:dead: Horrible! A fate worse than Death.

If Baud wakes in-game, I'd take option 1 (Leave Redlabored and wander the world freely). Because I don't fancy him going insane alone and sending him alone, toothless and limping for a death by gobelins/elves is too ridicule.

Then again the man saved the fort, least we can do is let him decide for himself. “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.”
As long as Baud don't wake up in-game, the decision will be taken by the vote of the thread.

vazha

Arcane
In honour of baud:

A weregecko bit my neck,
I'd be a dead ass wreck,
But because I'm a dorf,
All I did was barf,
And the bins I went to check.
A limerick, eh? How very prestigious. Lemme try too:

To Baud

"In Angerith had he laboured,
Much with carpentry enamoured,
A gecko he mocked,
For which he was socked,
His name forever honoured.
Unlike Kalin's."

Grimwulf Mayhaps we should add, ahem, the poetry section to the OP too? The KKK limerick competition is now officially open. Winner/s shall receive *speshul* prizes, directly from the kommisar. I hereby nominate myself and right honourable Citizen as members of jury, seeing as we happen to be the only dorfs of culture & education in this hellhole.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Grimwulf Mayhaps we should add, ahem, the poetry section to the OP too?

Done. Best way to ensure no sane person will EVER read this thread beyond the OP.

Voting closed, time to start the Summer experience.

It wasn't easy to interpret some of your votes. DO YOU HAVE TO BE THAT VAGUE, DAMMIT??

if he lives, maybe we can use him. make some labyrinth that lead to his domain where he can bite all that he wants,

If he lives? As in, if we manage to heal him? Or if he lives being walled in? Goddamit. I'll count it as Option 1, sealing.

So my VOTE goes for:

Build a werelizard chamber with a separate entrance. Maybe we can release him during sieges if the timing is right.

Yes, great, maybe in two years or so, WHAT IS THE VOTE? :x I'll count it as abstained.

Hats off, baud! I say we treat our hero as well as we can - and then wall him in.

Hurrr, you are a KLASSIC therapist. Everything you say might be interpreted both ways. I'll count it as Option 1, sealing.

RIGHT THEN, we have 9 votes for sealing and 9 votes for healing. Which means throwing dat coin AGAIN.

Next time you'd better begin your vote with "Option X", and then post whatever depraved fantasies you have floating in your head.

1 - We seal him
2 - We heal him

Edit: It's decided. If Baud regains his sense before the full moon, he will leave the fortress. If not - we'll be fighting for his life, no matter what.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Sheeeeit fogot to switch votan when diz jighabagook about ME havin to klub im if he turns poz beast came up... Mebeh ah can take fully moon day off, manugmental training day or sumthin.

Andnjord

Arcane
Well shit, time to say goodbye to at least a couple of other dwarfs who will succumb to the werecurse if not the whole fortress. I don't think y'all realize how much of a bad idea it is to have a loose werecreature inside a fortress. Especially with a half trained militia armed with wooden weapons.

you madmen :love:

PS: I'm gonna volunteer right here and there as a weaponsmith for Grim's next Kodex Kastle. Because THAT's how optimistic I am about our chances right now :lol:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Mother of unholy fuk. Eleven years old? How long until adulthood? I have no freaking clue when dwarves are getting their driving license.
Anyhow, if ya wont get anything better, just call that bitch by my name.

Also, thanks Grimwulf. I was always afraid of DF, and Your LP is the reason I fucking downloaded and tried that shit out. Thanks bud.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Mother of unholy fuk. Eleven years old? How long until adulthood? I have no freaking clue when dwarves are getting their driving license.

Dwarves reach adulthood at 12 years. This one will get his license in half a year from now.

Let's do it like this: if we don't get another migrant wave until then, I'll assign the kid to you when he grows up. He is Dayyalu's son, for God's sake. Insanity is in his very genes.

Also, thanks Grimwulf. I was always afraid of DF, and Your LP is the reason I fucking downloaded and tried that shit out. Thanks bud.

I hope you realize this LP is NOT how you play DF. :lol:

This quickstart guide will get you into the game in no time.

This is great. Sign me up as the least incompetent adult member of the next migrant wave. No preference for sex though my avatar fits a female Dorf with no modification I reckon

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
lLtAqSI.png
AWRIGHT, YOU CURSED BRAINFUCKED GOBLINSPAWNS! Everyone intending to stay in Redlabored will follow TWO RULES that define Kommunism! NO TROUBLE and NO HOMO!

I think it needs to be pointed out that

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kalarion as well, looks strong enough...
qT4LDO9.png
REPORTING FOR DUTY KOMANDORF KALIN!

My preference, naturally, is for the prestigious and discerning gentledwarf's weapon of choice: THE BATTLEAXE.

I look forward to bringing renown and ever-increasing chances for bonaz to my Komandorf, glory to my Kommissar, and worldwide respect to my gulag TOWN of Redlabored.

With a little side-helping of personal fame and retarded adventurism of course :smug:

Andnjord

Arcane
While we're waiting for Grimwulf to gibs us an update, let me just tell you about the horrors of the werecreatures in my newly started Fortress (yeah, reading this LP made me want to scratch that itch).

So, I found a nice spot next to a volcano, gotta start easy, it's been a while. At the end of the first year we only have 15 dorfs due to missing a wave because I neglected to build a bridge across the brook (told you I was rusty). Nevertheless I've managed to set up the magma forges and a fully equipped hospital with functioning well. It helps not having the Kodex Krazy Kounsel to guide you. Second year starts, some elf traders stop by and finally the migrant wave arrives and it's a big one. 43 Dwarfs in total, including a legendary weaponsmith! And EXACTLY at the same time, Are Ibenacara the elven Were Camel decides to show up in the path of the migrants...

By the time it transforms back to its elven form, 12 migrants are dead, plus another one who is in all certainty cursed by now. And let me tell you, this one wasted no time beating dorfs with their socks, it kept on going straight for the head-shots, no goofing around.

Now granted, this was against a bunch of unarmed and untrained peasants, not the battle-hardened, wood armed prole-bashers. Let just that be a cautionary tale of how lucky we've been so far and how fucked we all are if when Baud transforms in the middle of the Kastle and starts hunting us all down the corridors to beat us up with a dirty sock. :negative:

The elf traders come and days later an elf monster rampages through my fort. Coincidence? I think not! This means war!!!!!!:outrage::outrage::outrage::outrage::outrage:

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
2nd Hematite, 126, Early Summer
The Outpost, Helly's Office

Dx7CBJL.png

1tkud7F.png
I must say your persuasion skills are rather impressive. How did you manage to change Kalin's mind on coscripting Givi?

kCv2T60.png
Three words: "Silver War Hammer." No dwarf in the realm can resist the temptation of obtaining my craft. What can I say? I am simply that good.

1tkud7F.png
A HAR HAR HAR HAR, haha, ahhh. Indeed you are.

Ysx6aew.png
Na.

1tkud7F.png
*messes up Melbil's beard*

kCv2T60.png
Now, if you excuse me--

1tkud7F.png
I want you to stay, my dear weaponsmith. Our miners will be here any minute now-- Ahhhh, there you are!

jUUDMXQ.png
3xknlxr.png
*enter the office*

jUUDMXQ.png
My, my, my. If it isn't the Kaptain of Kutting Kultists and Master Andnjord himself. *hugs Andnjord*

kCv2T60.png
URGH! *tries to break free*

3xknlxr.png
You called?

1tkud7F.png
Tindrli, I need you and Givi to do a questionable, but nevertheless crucial service for the sake of our fortress.

jUUDMXQ.png
*releases Andnjord from his grasp* They don't call me "A Serviceable Dwarf" for nothing.

kCv2T60.png
*steps away from Givi* NEVER do that again! Gods, I have your beard-hair all over me!

1tkud7F.png
As I was saying, me and my good friend Andnjord had a little discussion about the future of Redlabored, which resulted in a, what should I call it..? The only rational conclusion. You see, the dwarves of Redlabored are misguided, unable to see the big picture. Sure, they voted for construction of certain facilities, they demanded private rooms, expected the fortress to be built, etc, etc. But let me ask you one thing, Givi.

jUUDMXQ.png
I know what you want to ask. Alas, my heart already belongs to another.

1tkud7F.png
... That's not what I meant.

jUUDMXQ.png
Oh.

1tkud7F.png
Tell me, is it not true that a dwarf fortress needs to protect itself?

jUUDMXQ.png
Aye, 'tis true.

1tkud7F.png
Therefore, we need weapons, and for that, we need ore. Metallurgy is, after all, one of the main currents of craftdwarfship, and we will need both industry and resources to make it possible.

kCv2T60.png
In other words, we need metal ores.

3xknlxr.png
There is none in the fortress layer.

1tkud7F.png
And this is precisely the reason why I cancel your previous tasks. I want you to start digging out the mines.

3xknlxr.png
*hesitates*

1tkud7F.png
You look uncertain, Tindrli.

3xknlxr.png
What about the Kommissar?

1tkud7F.png
Our Most Glorious Kommissar needs not to know about this little arrangement. After all, he is too busy figuring out stone block production.

kCv2T60.png
Helly's right. Kalin conscripted the only capable mason among us to serve in his squad. You've probably seen her - old scholar, long greasy hair, tall and scrawny? Catacombs wife?

3xknlxr.png
*shakes head*

kCv2T60.png
No matter. Point is, the Kommissar won't notice a slight delay. Later we will catch up on the schedule, as soon as I forge a couple new picks.

jUUDMXQ.png
I will do my best. However, I have an interview appointment with Baud later this week, so...

1tkud7F.png
He is in a coma.

jUUDMXQ.png
A minor inconvenience for a professional like me. Let's go, Tindrli. I will be right behind you.

Ysx6aew.png
Gai.

jUUDMXQ.png
3xknlxr.png
*walk outside*

kCv2T60.png
No time to waste, o mighty one. We must make haste setting up a smithy and a smelter, as well as assigning a hard-working dwarf to smelt metal-bearing ores. I suggest we use the unoccupied Wood District.

1tkud7F.png
Sorry, little friend. I ordered to set up textile industry there.

OODuo0x.png

kCv2T60.png
I see. We need thread and cloth to supply the hospital and tend to Baud's wounds.

1tkud7F.png
No, my intention is clothing production.

kCv2T60.png

1tkud7F.png
Some dwarves complain about worn-out clothing. After all, what is Kommunism if not fashion, HAR HAR HAR--

kCv2T60.png
*mumbles* I can imagine the look on doctor Azira's face when he finds out.

1tkud7F.png
As for your work stations, they will be placed right near the mines.

98IF5cy.png

1tkud7F.png
I thought of appointing Lizzurd to work at the smelter. This dwarf is rather inventive. He proposed collecting useful refuse like bones and skulls and storing it inside the dormitory. A peculiar idea, don't you think?

IWKHP90.png

kCv2T60.png
Hrmf. I don't know if working in what is basically caverns, alongside someone like Lizzurd is befitting my status.

1tkud7F.png
Caverns? This room was intended as storage for ores and metal bars. I suppose the Kommissar was expecting to find more metal ores when he designed the layout.

kCv2T60.png
Don't let your hopes up, Helly. We will find good metals yet. All we need is to dig deeper.

Ysx6aew.png
*LUKs at Andnjord condescendingly*

Meanwhile in Stone District

NNIuNRh.png

lLtAqSI.png
GODDAMIT, you lazy-arse tavern-dwellers, WHY IS NOBODY working in my masonries?! YOU THERE! What was your name, Dungeons?

OprlNpv.png
Cat-- *coughs* Cata--

lLtAqSI.png
CATHARSIS, you are a mason naw!

OprlNpv.png
*coughs in protest*

lLtAqSI.png
I KNOW! That good-for-nuthin' Azira is "too busy" covering dead-ass Baud with dirty socks, and Kommander fucking Kalin took away the only promising mason we got from the last migrant wave. I hate them all.

OprlNpv.png
*violent coughing*

lLtAqSI.png
Wrong, masonry is our TOP priority! Even a retarded old fart like you should be able to figure it out! Gotta make some tombs, statues, memorial slabs, then proceed with crafting stone blocks. YOU ARE FALLING BEHIND SCHEDULE ALREADY!

OprlNpv.png
Gh, gh, KHHHA *drops on his knee coughing*

lLtAqSI.png
You only say that because you haven't heard the stories. When a dwarf dies, he has to be buried properly. Otherwise, the ghost won't find rest. Or so the legend says.

OprlNpv.png
*gasps for air*

lLtAqSI.png
True. Can't imagine what it's like to be tormented by incorporeal spirits. To hear them talking to you everywhere you go. Listen to their stupid complaints, ideas, and comments. The horror...

5th Hematite, 126, Early Summer
The Surface

KuUlcLF.png
COME ON, you shit-eaters! The Kommissar ordered the fucking gates closed! Somebody haul the corpse inside already!

EkDMgOq.png

KuUlcLF.png
You there, dipshit with a stone slab on yar head!

25Ot6SJ.png
Are you talking to me?

KuUlcLF.png
I will talk to your fucking corpse if you don't drag the body inside RIGHT NOW! And set a door at the entrance to her crypt, will ya?

25Ot6SJ.png
Drag the body... set the door... Oh, my God.

o3DezPj.png

25Ot6SJ.png
Death... the horror...

zL7Vbym.png

25Ot6SJ.png
*runs away sobbing*

KuUlcLF.png
You gotta be shitting me.

sU7cUKl.png
*standing behind Spigot*

KuUlcLF.png
Hrm? You shouldn't be here, kid.

sU7cUKl.png
It's all right. I just need to... go with the flow.

wJlkVg5.png

KuUlcLF.png
*mumbles* Ffffack's sake. Someone must bury the girl already...

In DF, it is very important to have vacant tombs on the ready. If a dwarf dies and left unburied due to a lack of coffins, bad things might escalate rapidly.

sU7cUKl.png

KuUlcLF.png
*goes away mumbling* Why don't we have a crypt? Fucking Helly and her Wood District, piece of sh--

Meanwhile in the Barracks

Pq1NbT7.png

TWOnKLq.png
*smashes Kalarion's chest with a war hammer*

qT4LDO9.png
*gasps*

TWOnKLq.png
See? DAS haw ye SMASH!

hblLrIX.png
I can think of approximately 14 reasons why your training program isn't working. The main one being your total incompetence.

TWOnKLq.png
Why doncha tink of DIS? *grabs crotch*

hblLrIX.png
My nose is 238% larger than your dick, youngster. You'll have to try harder if you hope to impress me.

061EwNk.png
This is so lame. Can't we like get some proper weapons and, I don't know, guard the dining room?

TWOnKLq.png
FEH! Kommander Kalin needs a brek. Sick tired of ye whinin'. "Boo-hoo, my asshul is too soft."

061EwNk.png
Pfft.

TWOnKLq.png
BRUTHA FRENK!

o44H4SR.png
He he he

TWOnKLq.png
Ye'r be in cumand far naw.

o44H4SR.png
EEEEEEEEEHHHHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

TWOnKLq.png
I'll wutch.

o44H4SR.png
*BASHES Reinhardt with a shield*

sG7GS0v.png
AWW!!

o44H4SR.png
THAT's for stealing Kommander's socks!

sG7GS0v.png
B-but I--

o44H4SR.png
*BASHES her again* Hehehehehe!

sG7GS0v.png
You will regret this. KKK WILL REGRET THIS!

o44H4SR.png
The only thing I regret is HERPES! Now, DODGE lesson!

3xGOOtN.png
No. Not again!

o44H4SR.png
PROLEBASHERS! Pile up on Storyfag! Storyfag, DODGE!

3xGOOtN.png
*gulp*

TWOnKLq.png
*grunts in satisfaction*

3xGOOtN.png
NOOO!!

TWOnKLq.png
Oi, Brutha Frank. Were is da fakin' Makro?

o44H4SR.png
*shrugs* Growing a huge pussy, I suppose.

l7TYa2l.png

lLtAqSI.png
4o6H0Qw.png
*enter the barracks*

SGvQrRn.png
Kommissar. Kommanding Physician.

TWOnKLq.png
We'r in da middul of a trainung, ya buttpluks. Whatcharront?

lLtAqSI.png
I have good news. Azira has bad news.

o44H4SR.png
I found a baby turtle in my ale once. That's what I call bad news.

lLtAqSI.png
Let me guess. You ate the turtle.

o44H4SR.png
I raised her for three years, doing everything I could. Feeding, training, singing lullabies. Then I dropped her from a cliff!

lLtAqSI.png

o44H4SR.png
Thought she learns to fly this way. She didn't.

lLtAqSI.png

o44H4SR.png
Flying alcoholic turtle.

lLtAqSI.png

4o6H0Qw.png
Ahem. Anyway, bad news. Reinhardt and Storyfag, your brother is about to die.

3xGOOtN.png
Baud! C-can't you do anything?

4o6H0Qw.png
My intern is making threads and proper bandages as we speak, but, all things considered, it is highly unlikely we will be able to save him in time. If Baud doesn't wake up before 19th Hematite, well... We all know what will happen.

sG7GS0v.png
Baud will turn. Good. We will watch him transform and learn.

3xGOOtN.png
What is WRONG with you?!

sG7GS0v.png
*shrugs* I became more confident.

tyBUZVD.png

3xGOOtN.png
No! You became a bitch!

qT4LDO9.png
So... What's the good news?

lLtAqSI.png
The Prolebashers can prove themselves for the first time. Kalin, I want you and your squad stationed in the hospital before the full moon rises.

TWOnKLq.png
Sorry ol chap, Imma taken fully moon day off, manugmental training day or sumthin.

lLtAqSI.png
If the Kommander takes a day-off every time Redlabored needs him, I have no use for such a Kommander. You WILL be there, Kalin!

TWOnKLq.png
Mah squat has NO WEPUNS! I rekwested a banch of WOODAN UNES far fark's sake - HOW LONK do ah haf ta waitan?

lLtAqSI.png
I'm sure Huelly has your weapons as the top priority.

4o6H0Qw.png
Last I heard she canceled carpentry production. "To focus available dwarfpower on other activities", or some nonsense.

TWOnKLq.png
She WOT?!

4o6H0Qw.png
Apparently, new clothing is more important than military equipment.

TWOnKLq.png
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCK! Whaddya wont me ta do, you stupid fucks?! STRANGUL da beast with mah bare hands?!

qT4LDO9.png
That sounds risky. I like it.

lLtAqSI.png
I want you to do your GODDAMN JOB! Be thankful you have at least ONE war hammer! Now DOUBLE those death drills while there's still time!

TWOnKLq.png
*grips the war hammer tightly* Ye heard da bossy figur. SMASH demunstrashin! *turns to Storyfag*

3xGOOtN.png
Can we talk about th-- AAAGH!

6th Hematite, 126, Early Summer
Redlabored, 19 levels below the ground

IIVwkas.png

jUUDMXQ.png
We did it, Tindrli. We did it.

dlFVMGB.png

3xknlxr.png
It's just a gold cluster. This layer is composed of dacite. We should go back and focus on obsidian layers instead.

a7jBrxl.png

jUUDMXQ.png
Obsidian? Please. It's so black and... uninspired. Let's mine out the current layer a little. And when we come back, they will call us The Golddiggers. Come on, give me a hug.

3xknlxr.png
No.

jUUDMXQ.png
Your loss.

10th Hematite, 126, Early Summer

Someone finally managed to drag Unib's corpse inside the Outpost. Her tomb is not ready yet, so we decided to put her body, along with numerous teeth scattered around, inside Kommissar's bedroom, which he no longer needs.

PLcl8vL.png

A traumatic experience, to say the least. Some of us cannot eat after seeing this.

kGzgicv.png

As Spigot was about to pull the lever and seal the gates, we heard voices from the surface.

hDglmDV.png

I guess we'll have to keep the gates open for a while longer.

Now, I have to find Kommissar Grimwulf and confront him about the severe lack of FLOODGATES in the fortress.

10th Hematite, 126, Early Summer
The Outpost, Hospital

pi5s0eu.png

PV80FJy.png
*enters the Hospital*

c9XcSR9.png
*Suturing Baud's wounds*

PV80FJy.png
Hrmpf. I'll come brack-- back. Later.

c9XcSR9.png
Wait.

PV80FJy.png
Nah, it's fuen. Got shtuff to doo.

c9XcSR9.png
Are you drunk?

PV80FJy.png
Yyyyus.

c9XcSR9.png
Funny. Do you want to talk about it?

PV80FJy.png

nCQVh1c.png
*still in a coma*

PV80FJy.png
I am a carpntr, you knows?

c9XcSR9.png
That you are. Silly.

PV80FJy.png
Well... *lets out a long sigh, getting sober in an instant* I am with the Prolebashers now. For no reason, other than Kalin being Kalin. And Baud...

nCQVh1c.png

PV80FJy.png
Baud was the only one of us with any sort of military background. He should have been conscripted in Redlabored's military. And I should've been working out there on the surface. Not him.

c9XcSR9.png
You would be dead now. Sad.

PV80FJy.png
... Yes. Instead, I'll be waiting in this hospital along with the other cowards for Baud to transform. Once he does, I'll have to kill the dwarf who saved our lives. My life.

nCQVh1c.png

PV80FJy.png
I wonder if walling him up would be more merciful than this.

c9XcSR9.png
*puts another stitch on Baud's wound*

PV80FJy.png
I'm sorry, Baud. *leaves the Hospital*

c9XcSR9.png
*starts singing a weird song, composed of gurgling and popping sounds*

nCQVh1c.png

c9XcSR9.png
*gurgle gurgle, pop-pop, pop-pop*

nCQVh1c.png

c9XcSR9.png
*puts her hand on Baud's forehead*

nCQVh1c.png
*GASPS*

c9XcSR9.png
Welcome back. Happy!

nCQVh1c.png
What... happened?

lV3B1CL.png

c9XcSR9.png
I will call the Kommanding Physician and Kommissar Grimwulf. Stay here, little mortal. Excited!

Half an hour later.

4o6H0Qw.png
Once we figured you're alive, we brought you here and did everything in our power to fix your body. And that's the whole story.

nCQVh1c.png
Gods... What day is it?

lLtAqSI.png
10th Hematite. Only nine days left until the full moon.

nCQVh1c.png

lLtAqSI.png
Azira. Can he walk?

4o6H0Qw.png
I suppose so.

lLtAqSI.png
Then you are free to choose your own destiny, Baud. You realize we cannot ignore your current condition. Redlabored can't afford to lose any more dwarfpower.

nCQVh1c.png
What are the options?

lLtAqSI.png
We can wall you up inside this hospital. Or you can leave the fortress.

nCQVh1c.png
... Both are pretty depressing, to be honest.

lLtAqSI.png
It's all I got.

nCQVh1c.png

4o6H0Qw.png
If you need a moment to think this over and talk to your family--

nCQVh1c.png
I don't fancy going insane alone in this hospital.

lLtAqSI.png
Are you sure?

v5qfvmY.png

nCQVh1c.png
*stands up from his bed*

4o6H0Qw.png
Careful. Your knee is a mess.

nCQVh1c.png
No time to waste. I want to be far away from Redlabored when... it happens.

lLtAqSI.png
*nods* Your statue will stand in the Stone Garden until the end of time.

4o6H0Qw.png
Farewell, Baud.

nCQVh1c.png
Goodbye, Az-- doctor Azira.

12th Hematite, 126, Early Summer
The Surface

lEAkyYw.png

nCQVh1c.png
*limping past his former work station* Heh... Made some good pieces after all.

Most of the furniture Baud made is left on the surface. Not enough haulers to move it inside.

kUUZM3g.png

3xGOOtN.png
*runs towards Baud* BRO, wait!

nCQVh1c.png
Hey, bro.

3xGOOtN.png
W-where are you going? I've just heard you came back from your coma!

nCQVh1c.png
Guess I'm leaving Redlabored.

3xGOOtN.png
Wait, what? You can't leave! Come on, bro. We'll figure something out, you just have to wai--

nCQVh1c.png
Naaah. Being chained in a dirty pit is not my sauce.

3xGOOtN.png
You didn't even say goodbye...

nCQVh1c.png
You know I'm not big on farewells either.

3xGOOtN.png
Dammit, bro...

nCQVh1c.png
It's all good. Hey, uh, since you're here - make sure you visit Unib's tomb every now and then, will ya? Just to wipe the dust, and to make sure no rats are hanging around. That sort of thing. Will you do it for me?

3xGOOtN.png
Yeah. I promise.

nCQVh1c.png
Cool. Um, see you late-- hm... I mean, let's hope we never see each other again.

3xGOOtN.png

nCQVh1c.png
Keep an eye on our sis. And get inside already, bro. Can't you see it's raining? I... should really go now. *turns around*

3xGOOtN.png
Goodbye, brother. We'll never forget you.

nCQVh1c.png
*walks away*

14th Hematite, 126, Early Summer

Spigot ordered everyone to stop whatever "useless shit" we were doing and start moving trading goods to the depot. We are about to sell half of our booze and food, along with Baud's and Unib's torn clothing and all furniture intended for Kommunalka. That last bit was kind of unexpected. But Spigot said that "farkin' demonspawn Helly" doesn't intend to construct Kommunalka at all, because she "thinks new dwarven panties are more important", so we might as well "sell those shitty cabinets."

Very disappointing, truth be told. The dwarves are getting depressed and heartbroken after recent events. Helly's call to halt Redlabored's construction is very shortsighted, to say the least.

While hauling gneiss cabinets to the depot, I heard someone mentioning Baud. Turns out, he recovered and left the fortress a few days ago. Without saying goodbye.

yqb8ixS.png

It's so, so sad.

But when I think about it... The Prolebashers would die if they had to fight a werebeast. They don't have any weapons, not even the wooden ones, because Helly decided to cancel all carpentry-related activity in favor of clothing production. Damn, I like Helly, but she is a really bad manager.

So, in a sense, Baud saved us all. Again.

Wherever you are, brother, I will pray to Anir for your safety.

17th Hematite, 126, Early Summer
Redlabored, Barracks

SGvQrRn.png
*punches Storyfag*

3xGOOtN.png
*doesn't even try to dodge*

TWOnKLq.png
DAFUK is wrong wid ya? Gunna take dat from da new guy like dat? FITE BACK, ya whining sukker!

SGvQrRn.png
Storyfag? Are you alright?

sG7GS0v.png
He's always been a child deep inside.

hblLrIX.png
Even a child would beat Storyfag without breaking a sweat.

o44H4SR.png
*SMASHES Reinhardt with a shield*

sG7GS0v.png
*flies to the far end of the barracks*

o44H4SR.png
*SMASHES Citizen*

hblLrIX.png
AWWWW *falls prone*

o44H4SR.png
IF ANY OF YOU BROTHERFUCKERS SAY ONE MORE WORD ABOUT MY PERSONAL SLAVE, I'll-- I'll...

TWOnKLq.png
For fark's sake, what's wrong wid YOU?!

o44H4SR.png
I'll do... something... hnngggg

3xGOOtN.png
Honey..?

o44H4SR.png
HNNNNGGGG AAAAAA

TWOnKLq.png
Fuuuck... gross...

o44H4SR.png
I'LL DO THIIIIIIIIS!!

EAYeZ5m.png

3xGOOtN.png
hblLrIX.png
sG7GS0v.png
TWOnKLq.png

o44H4SR.png
Eeeehehehe. Mother Brother Frank.

wtVBxRK.png

3xGOOtN.png
*passes out*

Eb2UcVG.png
Dada!

Lf9pkP8.png

o44H4SR.png
Back to training!

23rd Hematite, 126, Early Summer
The Outpost, Trade Depot

tl7Y6C6.png

ccuaZQP.png
That'll be the last cabinet, Spigot.

KuUlcLF.png
Aye, now get yer greedy arse outta here.

ccuaZQP.png
Psst. Can you buy some human hookers for me?

KuUlcLF.png
UGH! GET OUT, you pervert! SCRAM!

ccuaZQP.png
*retreats*

yEC4BKm.png
Before we begin, may I inquire what happened to the previous broker?

KuUlcLF.png
No.

yEC4BKm.png
Okay... Well then!

djRgUh1.png

yEC4BKm.png
*takes a taste of Sqeecoo's foul cooking* This is... Fucking delicious!

Quality of the item affects its value dramatically in DF. Sqeecoo became a really good cook, as most of our food is of exceptional and masterwork quality.

n4AfpMV.png

The quality of each item is indicated by the weird symbols you see before and after the item name. Here is the quest compass:

vXVKVEf.png

KuUlcLF.png
*rummages through human trade goods*

We bought:

- 1 copper pick
- 1 bronze spear
- 1 copper crossbow
- 25 bronze bolts
- 1 leather quiver
- some training weapons made of wood (can't make them ourselves, because Helly)
- 3 metal bars (1 bronze, 1 copper, 1 lead)
- a reindeer to butcher
- 2 doges (spaniel and dalmatian)
- 1 rooster to mate with Storyfag's chick
- 8 ropes (gonna need them soon)
- 6 barrels (we need those, and Helly decided to stop carpentry)
- 3 buckets (same reason)
- 9 bags
- a LOT of cloth and leather (Helly decided to start textile production, but we had barely any materials to work with)
- some thread and wool
- a TON of cooking and brewing ingredients to replenish our food and booze stocks
- CHEESE, quite a lot of it
- 1 sperm whale tooth ring (gay)
- splints and crutches

And finally, we bought a manual for Azira. Beginner level.

C6LDyPY.png

We sold:

- half of our booze
- half of our food (no point in selling more, since there is nothing more we want from humans)
- torn clothing
- a fuckton of gneiss cabinets (56, if memory serves me right)

And no, we can't sell dwarven teeth. Or use them for crafting, for that matter.

In terms of weapons, humans brought a lot of maces. Good silver maces. However, nobody in Kalin's squad uses them, so we skipped on that.
In terms of armor and clothing, everything they brought was too large in size.
In terms of seeds, they only had above-ground ones, which wouldn't be useful in current circumstances.

Humans made roughly 3500 profit in value, which is significant. But the more profit they make - the more goods they bring next time.

All in all, it was a good trade - one that we didn't deserve.

L52OOYA.png

yEC4BKm.png
It was a great pleasure, dwarf.

KuUlcLF.png
Eat shit. *walks away, barking orders to haul stuff to the storages*

x2jTzZ5.png

26th Hematite, 126, Early Summer
Redlabored, Stone District

6YCja8F.png

lLtAqSI.png
GODDAMIT, dwarves! Why are you bothering me?! Go talk to your hellish manager!

2c3ryeE.png
She doesn't listen! This place needs traps, desperately so! Nobody is safe until we trap the whole place, maybe even construct a doomsday device that will destroy the fortress along with our enemies!

XHw0wrF.png
Yeah, right. Our enemies and ourselves.

2c3ryeE.png
A sacrifice I'm willing to make.

XHw0wrF.png
According to the project, our traps will be placed on the surface, namely withing the Beard Gates.

2c3ryeE.png
That is not nearly enough! How can you be so profane, so naive?

XHw0wrF.png
How can you be so paranoid?

2c3ryeE.png
We need highly complex devices of pain and torture.

XHw0wrF.png
No. We need practical and efficient safety measures.

2c3ryeE.png
Safety is our top priority!

XHw0wrF.png
The lowest one, actually. We are going to seal ourselves underground, remember?

2c3ryeE.png
Kommissar! Why does a woman have a right to speak?

lLtAqSI.png
Hurrrr, SHUT UUUP!! BOTH OF YOU!

DUelvJM.png
*running and panting* Kommissar! Kommissar!

lLtAqSI.png
Fuck my life.

DUelvJM.png
FLOODGATES when?!

lLtAqSI.png
Later. Fark off, Seafood.

DUelvJM.png
WELLS when?!

lLtAqSI.png
Later.

DUelvJM.png
But you keep saying this for almost a month! Redlabored is not a tiny outpost anymore, it is a full-scale dwarf village!

We have over 50 komrades, therefore we are considered to be a village now. As you can see, Grimwulf is no longer an expedition leader - he is a mayor now. The Sheriff position was also renamed to Captain of the Guard.

High-standing dwarves have certain requirements, which must be met as soon as possible, or they will go nuts. For instance, Grimwulf will start killing dwarves if he doesn't get his quarters yesterday.

W17iOjC.png

2c3ryeE.png
Traps.

DUelvJM.png
FLOODGATES!

XHw0wrF.png
Idiots...

lLtAqSI.png
AAAAAARGH, ENOUGH! There will be NO floodgates and NO fucking wells until we have access to the cavern layer!

DUelvJM.png
Why?

lLtAqSI.png
Because I WILL BASH YOUR BRAINS OUT, that's why!

XHw0wrF.png
Is it because of the drainage?

lLtAqSI.png
*exhales* Yes.

DUelvJM.png
I don't get it, though.

XHw0wrF.png
If we dig out reservoirs right now and fill them with water without planning any kind of drainage system, dumping water will be a major headache.

DUelvJM.png
Umm, why would we want to dump water?

XHw0wrF.png
What if it becomes contaminated?

2c3ryeE.png
We can use it to drown the invaders. The only real use for water.

XHw0wrF.png
That's exactly how you make fresh water contaminated. By drowning someone in it.

2c3ryeE.png
Yes. Effective and brutal.

XHw0wrF.png
No. Unnecessary and sadistic.

DUelvJM.png
Can't we figure out the drainage later?

XHw0wrF.png
Has to be done beforehand. I suppose this is the reason why Grimwulf hasn't planned the waterways yet.

lLtAqSI.png
Aye.

XHw0wrF.png
Not because he is lazy or uncaring.

lLtAqSI.png
Aye.

DUelvJM.png
But why dump it in caverns? Can't we pump water back to the river?

XHw0wrF.png
It would require a lot of waterpumps, either manually operated, or powered by a waterwheel. Or a windmill.

2c3ryeE.png
POWER YES!

XHw0wrF.png
Power no. Not at this point at least. Dumping it to the caverns is a simple solution.

2c3ryeE.png
Water could be used as a powerful weapon, and you suggest we dump it instead? Boring. Wasteful.

XHw0wrF.png
Fast. Effective.

lLtAqSI.png
You are all FUCKING DISMISSED. Next time go straight to hell.

XHw0wrF.png
... Helly, you mean?

lLtAqSI.png
Aye.

2c3ryeE.png
What about the traps?

lLtAqSI.png
DAMN YOU, DAVALU! Alright, I will make a fucking MANDATE here and now!

Mandates are generated randomly, depending on personality of the dwarf who mandates.

6WfaFfN.png

lLtAqSI.png
I want to see TRAPS! *coughs* Trap. One trap.

jxPNZzw.png

2c3ryeE.png
Wh--

lLtAqSI.png
THIS IS ALL YOU GET! More than enough to catch a deer. Or a homo. Now GIT BACK TO WORK!

2nd Malachite, 126, Mid-Summer

Floodgates. Bins. Horse-eye lasagna. Redlabored needs more of these. Much more.

TcSRMMC.png

Instead, we are ordered to make a trap. A TRAP.

Did you die for this, Unib?

w9H67WT.png

Am I ready to die for this?

Oh, Gods. Just realized someone might be reading this.

No more entries. No more talking. No more socializing.

FjmCfP5.png

2nd Malachite, 126, Early Summer
The Outpost

G51kElb.png
Sqeecoo?

DUelvJM.png
GAH, FOREIGN AGENTS! *locks herself inside the workshop*

W3dJ8cw.png

G51kElb.png
*knocks on the door*

wEicBRN.png
*no response*

G51kElb.png
*enters through the second door* General Secretary?

DUelvJM.png
*draws something in her diary*

G51kElb.png
*carefully looks at the drawings*

6NfWVUe.png

A bit later
The Outpost, Dining Room

G51kElb.png
So what do you think?

CrmPVDL.png
*looks down in his goblet, lost in memories* A dwarven mind is fragile, my friend... Fragile indeed. Sqeecoo is beyond saving, I'm afraid. Unless...

G51kElb.png
Unless what?

CrmPVDL.png
*mumbles* Unless those pictures mean something... I have an idea. What if we provide Sqeecoo with what she wants and see if it helps?

G51kElb.png
I see no harm in that.

CrmPVDL.png
Why don't you try talking to Helly? If you manage to convince her to set up a jewelry and assign somebody to cut some gems for Sqeecoo - who knows? That might do the trick. Meanwhile, I'll have a talk with Spigot. Pretty sure those humans also had cut gems among their goods, so maybe we can sell more booze in exchange for them.

G51kElb.png
What about those skeleton pictures?

CrmPVDL.png
No idea what to make of that... But maybe the Kommanding Physician can help us out. Maybe if we butcher that deer we bought recently..? Look, I'm out of ideas, but we have to try something. And do it fast.

G51kElb.png
She is not going anywhere, Mediant.

CrmPVDL.png
Yes, but her mind is slipping away. And time is working against us.

9th Malachite, 126, Mid-Summer
The Outpost, Helly's Office

44fJDgQ.png
Kaptain of the Kutting Kultists, I have a question for you.

1tkud7F.png
But of course, my old friend.

44fJDgQ.png
What are you doing, Helly?

1tkud7F.png
What do you mean?

44fJDgQ.png
You assigned me as a miner again, but that is only half of my concerns. Why are we not digging Redlabored? What are we doing 19 levels below the ground?

1tkud7F.png
Mining metals, of course.

44fJDgQ.png
Helly, there are no metals down there. Only gold.

fyBenqH.png

1tkud7F.png
Marvelous.

44fJDgQ.png
More than we need. Scratch that, not what we need at all.

1tkud7F.png
All I ask is a little trust, Mustawd. I've ordered to set up a smelter and smithy, once we--

44fJDgQ.png
Nobody gives a damn about your orders. The dwarves are too busy. Smelter? Not a single dwarf bothered with building your smelter.

RxuYp48.png

44fJDgQ.png
Grimwulf assigned more masons than our masonries can handle, and yet nobody is rushing to complete your orders. We are swamped, Helly. Too many assignments, too little dwarfpower.

A4K1KWK.png

44fJDgQ.png
I'm bored. Depressed. Frustrated.

sG3ImPX.png

44fJDgQ.png
But most of all, I'm tired. Actively avoiding sex with Reinhardt is a tiresome task by itself, but following your pointless orders is a whole new level of torment. Because there is no such thing as "enough gold," eh?

AApId5Y.png

1tkud7F.png
*stares at Mustawd with polite hatred*

44fJDgQ.png
Look. I get it. You know you have no chances to be re-elected. I'm not going to vote for you. Nobody is. So you decided to send both ours and Kommissar's desires to hell. What I don't get is to what end? Why do you need that gold? Why do you want to dig deep? Why on earth did you need that textile industry which nobody is working on? If I was in your shoes, ready to ignore both your komrades and the Kommissar himself, I would build the Grand Hall instead. Helly, if you don't provide your dwarves with some way to vent their steam, you will face a full-blown riot. We will start killing each other. And that's all I have to say. *walks away without waiting for response*

I am the General Secretary, but the Kommissar won't listen to me. So be it.

I will MAKE him listen. I will make him

OBEY.

pyiKaEk.png

The Outpost, Dining Room

nvv7rfL.png
Hommm, that calf doesn't look too hot.

CbNurbC.png
*hic* He is starving, genius.

80VxmXw.png

CbNurbC.png
Grazers need to be kept outside. Not here, in this excuse of a tavern. But since we decided to close the gates...

nvv7rfL.png
Poor creature.

CbNurbC.png
*grumbles* Reminds me of my wife...

nvv7rfL.png
We should ask the Kommanding Physician to butcher the calf. This might be even merciful, given the circumstance.

0UY8kAw.png
nVVdzCd.png
*enter the dining room*

CbNurbC.png
*hic* Begone, foul demons!

0UY8kAw.png
Kek.

nVVdzCd.png
The humans are leaving. *sigh* I saw pretty earrings in their stock...

Tytglfj.png

0UY8kAw.png
Not as pretty as your husband, yes? No?

nVVdzCd.png
*makes an inappropriate gesture with her tongue*

0UY8kAw.png
Kekekekeke.

nVVdzCd.png
Your scales make my legs so moist.

nvv7rfL.png
AHEM. So, hommm... How's Redlabored treating you?

0UY8kAw.png
nVVdzCd.png
Too many kiddos.

0UY8kAw.png
Also, dead dwarves.

cQY2lWX.png

nvv7rfL.png
Death... It seems to follow all of us. Like a curse. *pours himself another drink* Can't stop thinking about Baud.

0UY8kAw.png
*takes a seat near Friend*

nvv7rfL.png
I know that nobody asked him to fight the monster, but... Hommm, we kind of did.

CbNurbC.png
Leaving him outside along with my daughter's wife. *drinks from a barrel* Same thing as sacrificing both of them.

nvv7rfL.png
They were not even fighters. I wonder what it's like - being used as bait? Thrown into the fray with no chance of survival, just so the others get a fighting chance... A fate worse than death.

14th Malachite, 126, Mid-Summer
Redlabored, Stone District

494Wf3q.png

DUelvJM.png
Kommissar Grimwulf.

lLtAqSI.png
I swear, if I hear ONE WORD about wells, or floodgates, or some other sh-- W-what's that?

DUelvJM.png
The proof of my devotion to your ideals.

95QMpFZ.png

lLtAqSI.png
A... trap..?

DUelvJM.png
It was your mandate to create an animal trap. I have completed the task. This is a deer trap made out of deer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

J2k8jvy.png

DUelvJM.png
When a deer steps on a deer, the deer's scream of agony adds up to the sound of the deer bone trap claiming its victim. The deer trap cries. The deer victim of the deer trap cries. All deers must cry, scream, make dying deer sounds. Deer. Thus I named it Artobvod. "Combinedsound"

EsZ39BT.png

lLtAqSI.png
*lets out a manly tear*

DUelvJM.png
Dead deer making more deers dead.

lLtAqSI.png
My. Son.

DUelvJM.png
Umm, I am not a--

lLtAqSI.png
You are a legend. The greatest dwarf in Redlabored, not counting myself.

d1kXELr.png

DUelvJM.png
Does it mean you trust me now?

lLtAqSI.png
I won't doubt you ever again, Seagull.

DUelvJM.png
Sqeecoo.

lLtAqSI.png
Whatever your name was. Now go do your job, and stop pestering me.

This Season is rather busy, so I decided to split the update in two. Second half coming tomorrow (I hope), and key choices with it.

Before you ask - no, it's impossible to fix your goddamn mistakes at this point, you worthless goblinspawns. Administrators my ass, piece of sh

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
B-but... My interview!.. and mining instead of producing tasteful propaganda? disheartening.
Also, if we dig deep enough, is there a chance to unearth a Balrog?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Forgot to add a little thing for all hard-number-lovers. The value of Sqeecoo's artifact.

wzcdeEw.png

Pretty high as far as early artifacts go.

B-but... My interview!.. and mining instead of producing tasteful propaganda? disheartening.

Andnjord did an insane job convincing both Helly and Kalin to assign you as a miner.

As for the interview, Baud woke up just in time to limp himself out of the fortress before the full moon. When I saw how slow he walks (took him 4 days to reach the edge of the map), I wasn't sure he'd make it in time. His knee is messed up, in case you don't remember.

This dwarf saved all our asses twice. Maybe we'll see him again.
I really hope we don't

Also, if we dig deep enough, is there a chance to unearth a Balrog?

Yes. And that's not the worst thing that could happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom