Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Din's Legacy - Soldak's new RPG with generational mechanic

oscar

Arcane
How is this game for someone totally unfamiliar with the series?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
They play like Diablo, but the heart of these games is procedural content and emergent gameplay. They offer a lot of different classes and ways to play and can still surprise you even after a long time with a sequence of events you have never seen before. Graphics have never been the strong point, but they are serviceable enough.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.soldak.com/Blogs/Steven/Drox-Operative-2.html

Drox Operative 2?

For those of you that follow us on social media or our forums this isn't a surprise, but I've started working on the design of what will probably end up being Drox Operative 2. I say probably because to me design is kind of an exploration and you aren't completely sure where you will end up. I'm pretty sure it will end up being Drox Operative 2, but Din's Legacy was originally going to be a mutating, permadeath, generational character type of game. The mutations is the only part that stuck (the rest just didn't work well enough with the mutation system).

Currently, and this all could easily change, I have 3 focuses to make this game better than the first Drox Operative.

1) Combat/action: I'm looking to make the moment to moment side of things a bit more fun. This will probably mean things like faster acceleration, faster turning, and maybe even strafing to make movement and dodging a bit more fun and important. Weapons might be more powerful, but rely less on auto-aiming. I'll probably also try to see how real momentum makes things feel.

2) Graphics: I'll at least be getting it up to Din's Legacy tech wise: VBOs, normal mapping, better shadows, and better lighting. Just doing this would make the game look a good bit better than the first game. It might even go faster and Drox was our most CPU friendly game.

3) More detailed systems to add more depth to the exploration, gameplay, and interactions between everything. By this I mean things like a planet could be rich in minerals. After discovering this planet, selling this information to a race might be very profitable, it could greatly help that race build fleets of ships once colonized, and it could also be a weak point for sneaky Operatives to disrupt or even destroy.

Again these are things that I'm thinking about now, but could easily change. Also these are just a small glimpse of the ideas I'm already thinking about.

Finally I would like to stress this part, comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Jinn

Arcane
Also is it good as din's curse?

What would you say you liked the most about Din's Curse? I've looked at it a number of times, but it mostly looked like a Diablo II clone. I must be wrong, cause a lot of people seem to hold it in high esteem.

deama

Prophet
I don't understand the praise for Din's curse, I tried playing it several times but kept giving up after a few hours. The combat felt very weak and all the classes were crap, I remember most of the classes playing the same. At least in zombasite they started to become more varied.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also is it good as din's curse?

What would you say you liked the most about Din's Curse? I've looked at it a number of times, but it mostly looked like a Diablo II clone. I must be wrong, cause a lot of people seem to hold it in high esteem.
The exploration and side quests,it was pretty well build world. Tho i did play it maybe a decade ago,when it was released. My memories are...coloured. It is good for what it is,it is not some amazing game,but a good indie game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've started working on the design of what will probably end up being Drox Operative 2. I say probably because to me design is kind of an exploration and you aren't completely sure where you will end up. I'm pretty sure it will end up being Drox Operative 2

Jesus.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First off, thank you! One of the reasons I made Drox Operative was because I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan (along with fantasy). I am starting to get that sci-fi itch again, so it's definitely a possibility that the game after the one we are working on could be Drox related.

Edit: I must have grown a heart while I was away from this place, so I'll rewrite that in a nicer way:

the game runs very poorly and the graphics are too old. this is a lethal combination. I'd put up with bad graphics if the game otherwise runs smoothly (good for all games but especially important for any sort of action game where reflexes and quick thinking are important), but this one doesn't.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
They play like Diablo, but the heart of these games is procedural content and emergent gameplay. They offer a lot of different classes and ways to play and can still surprise you even after a long time with a sequence of events you have never seen before. Graphics have never been the strong point, but they are serviceable enough.

The graphics are terrible. They are high in low quality detail. Torchlight got away with it because their graphics were simple. This game tries to shove in lots of useless technology with what look like horrible textures and models. So it ends up running poorly despite looking like a 90s game.

Last edited:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I would argue that all the Soldak games run fine even on a potato, yet they are all effectively the same game. You just get to choose whether your procedural RPG is magic/medival or technology/space based. I don't think the graphics are any less serviceable across any of their titles.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I would argue that all the Soldak games run fine even on a potato, yet they are all effectively the same game. You just get to choose whether your procedural RPG is magic/medival or technology/space based. I don't think the graphics are any less serviceable across any of their titles.

They are not the same game at all. A game where inertia is important and where you can shoot (multiple weapons) and move at the same time plays very differently from the typical arpg.

Graphics wise, because Drox doesn't have any environments (except space) the low res art isn't offensive to the eyes like it is in their other games.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Inertia just allows for kiting without holding down a key and the weapons mostly equate to skills which can be used concurrently in any of the games. I still say the points above are mostly just semantics.

That being said, having wide-open environments (space) vs. claustrophobic dungeons often makes kiting tactics easier.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Inertia just allows for kiting without holding down a key and the weapons mostly equate to skills which can be used concurrently in any of the games. I still say the points above are mostly just semantics.

It means you can aim certain weapons (or position yourself) in such a way as to successfully hit enemies with aoe weapons. traps (mines) are also more dangerous and difficult to avoid.

What's semantics is saying they are basically the same game because they share some superficial traits (same UI graphics or minor gameplay similarities like the use of bags/cargo bays to hold more loot)

That being said, having wide-open environments (space) vs. claustrophobic dungeons often makes kiting tactics easier.

There's no real kiting in drox operative because everybody uses ranged weapons. To kite you need melee enemies.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
All you need to kite is a speed and/or range advantage, which can both be achieved in Drox. I am going to bow out of this now, since its clear we will have to agree to disagree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom