Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Heroes of Might & Magic game

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Heroes 4 is the best written of them all, the corny voice acting is in the expansions which are of dubious quality (SPAZZ MATICUS!!!)

Lagi

Savant
heroes MM:
1 was nice
2 was great
3 is a legend
4 is a nice try
5 looks & sound nice, but its not superb game

Someone should ask: "do you want some mods with that?" then still take 3, but you can give 5 a second chance.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Playing single: 1, 2, 3 and 5 are all definitely worth trying. 1 is pretty much obsolete gameplay-wise, but is still fairly amusing when it comes to the atmosphere and presentation. 4 and 6 are completely skipable, but they aren't the worst games in the world or anything like that. Never played 7 to this day.

Playing multi/hotseat: 3 and 5 are the only viable options. 3 is still pretty much the perfect game to play a hotseat session with beer and snacks, nothing really ever came close to achieving what it did. Fucking decline.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If there is one game in this series which is not skippable, it's 4. On top of it being a unique part in a good way, it's also the best written and the campaigns are all worth playing just because of that. 6 is just very bad and unnecessary when compared to all the others. 7 is the most pointless and meandering of the bunch, I don't know why it exists. As for multiplayer, if you intend to play 4, you need to set some boundaries, like no resurrection potions, but other than that, go for it.

Citizen

5 looks & sound nice, but its not superb game

The problem is opposite. It plays good, but looks and works horrible. Music is alrite, but forgettable. The knight town theme was great tho

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It's not worth dignifying a competition with a response since it's obvious which one is objectively the best and will never be beaten, but it is acceptable for H2 fans to submit their vote as well.

visions

Arcane
HoMM 3 had better AI.
In the end, after spending so much time playing the games SP, that's the crucial element.

There's one thing I like more about the combat AI in HoMM2 though. I'm pretty sure that in combat when it has a choice of targets, the AI in HoMM 2 would always prioritize your archers, then flyers and only then melee walkers.

I don't know how the AI chooses whom to attack in HoMM3 but it frequently attacks tier 1 units, most of whom are melee walkers.

So in combat, the AI in HoMM 2 is predictable but it usually targets units that I care about, whereas I'm not going to care much about the tier 1 creatures the AI frequently ikes to target in HoMM 3 (unless I'm playing Tower, then I weep for my master gremlins).

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Homm3 AI seems to be designed to inflict the most losses possible to you. Hence the cowardly and dishonorable tactic of throwing a hero with 1 unit at you and just casting lightning bolt on your shooter stack before retreating.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Heroes 2 AI is very easy to exploit once you know how it works.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Homm3 AI seems to be designed to inflict the most losses possible to you. Hence the cowardly and dishonorable tactic of throwing a hero with 1 unit at you and just casting lightning bolt on your shooter stack before retreating.

It was worse in HoMM 1 when heroes would often cast Storm, damaging all your stacks.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I recently played HoMM3 with a graphics mod from HoMM 2 and had a blast. I can't go back to the original art.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Heroes 4 is the best written of them all, the corny voice acting is in the expansions which are of dubious quality (SPAZZ MATICUS!!!)
It took me many years to admit, after my initial disappointment with HoMM4, that it was actually the best iteration of games.
The change from upgradable units to exclusive unit choices and the particular way they mashed together units from what was previously separate factions made it very hard to like at the time. But in all other aspects - except art direction - it is actually a better game than anything that came before or after it.
Making the heroes an active part of battles and giving them multiple class progression options is probably the best improvement to the series by any of the games and I remember actually being engaged in the campaign stories of the main game. Not that it isn't still generic silly fantasy but it just tells those generic fantasy stories better than what you usually get.
I really wish there was a greater interest in HoMM4 in the modding community. Would love to play another take on HoMM4 with HoMM2s graphical style and the reintroduction of upgradable units (without losing the choice exclusivity)...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom