Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum's difficulty

LudensCogitet

Learned
So I finally set out to complete Arcanum for the first time a few weeks ago, and I'm having a really good time with it.

But, it seems to have become incredibly easy. I'm level 35 with 18 dex (yay charged rings), 13 strength, and maxed out Melee. I'm using the pyrotechnic axe.

The Dredge was a cake walk at level 30. I am destroying every enemy in 2-3 hits. Is this normal? Am I over leveled?

I ask because the game is known for being buggy, and it was fairly challenging early on. Probably up to about the point I got Dog. After that he just bit everything into chunks.

I'm going to keep going and I think I'll continue to enjoy it, but it almost feels moot to continue building my character, as I don't think I really need anything else. Does the difficulty spike again?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Melee is very easy. The Dredge is one of the hardest areas in the game. If you just sliced your way through it effortlessly... yeah, you won't encounter anything that'll challenge you from this point onward.

Alphons

Cipher
For me the hardest part were Black Mountain Mines- ore golems and seething masses destroying armor and weapons of your followers and that fucker Gudmund just had to booby trap that long-ass corridor (let's just say that he survived only on 1 of my playthroughs).

Other than that Arcanum is pretty easy (unless you rush level 5 to that quest in Black Root where you have to close the portal).

pidstuff

Educated
that fucker Gudmund just had to booby trap that long-ass corridor
I don't know if this has ever been mentioned here before but there's a trick to it. Set your movement to fast turn-based, get into combat mode and you can just move wherever you want to move without triggering those traps. The effect is even better when you have companions as they are the ones most likely to trigger those traps.

LudensCogitet

Learned
The difficulty varies wildly based on build. Melee makes it hilariously easy.
Hilarious is the word for it. Moving through the pass on the way to Qintarra my companions and I were basically a natural disaster. All the wildlife would just fall into discrete pieces as we walked by. :D

Thanks for confirming my game's not bugged.

deama

Prophet
The pyrotechnic axe is a famously OP item in arcanum, it's best to stay away from it for first time playthroughs.
At any rate, I recommend you try another build for your next playthrough, melee is pretty boring.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Also there is op sword found in the Isle of Despair on a gladiator which is crazy fast and combined with max str, dex and poition of quikness transforms you into NEO.

LudensCogitet

Learned
The pyrotechnic axe is a famously OP item in arcanum, it's best to stay away from it for first time playthroughs.
At any rate, I recommend you try another build for your next playthrough, melee is pretty boring.
I can see why. Thinking about cranking the difficulty and ditching the pyro axe for Harrow since I'm a dwarf and it makes role playing sense.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As any good rpg,the difficulty depends on the skills of the player. Most of the codexers would breeze trough it in a day,while other people out there will die constantly to the wolfs in the first area :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LudensCogitet

Learned
So. I finished the game last night. In the end I went back to the Pyro axe. First, because it is immune to the weapon damaging effect some enemies have.

But second, and more importantly, because I came to the conclusion I'm sure many have come to before me: combat in Arcanum is just completely broken. A "difficult" enemy is an enemy that will completely stomp you with no warning, and the solution to that enemy is always something like throwing a stun grenade and wailing on it until it is dead, or getting several lucky hits in. All one does is trade blows until someone falls over. Intentionally prolonging that process does not improve things.

Makes me wonder whether I need to play Fallout again to check if the combat was any better there.

Tigranes

Arcane
Level 35 is very high level. People's levels at different points in the game will vary greatly because of purposeful/accidental grinding etc., but the character system I would say is built to give you steady progression up to level 20 or so, at which point you have everything you need to cause apocalypse.

Arcanum combat also feels broken in very different ways based on your build. Tempus Fugit / Haste build and you're playing Matrix mode, for example, while a bowyer can get to a point where they're firing a million arrows per second.

deuxhero

Arcane
Fallout is better in that there's less ways to get stupidly broken quickly, but that's due to comparative lack of build options. It's worse in the speed: You'll be begging for Arcanum's fast turn based option the first time you get into a fight in an area with non-hostiles (at the latest).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
people out there will die constantly to the wolfs in the first area
who the fuck can't get past the crashed zeppelin part??
I'll tell you. I created a charisma based build. Had like .5 in Attack and .5 in defense, so I didn't completely ignore combat. Figured once I got to Terrant, I could play the way I wanted to play. A nightmare. I was constantly knocking myself out, dying, scarring myself. Yes, we all know you have to create a combat build, or grab specific spells, etc. There are millions of ways to break the game! Had to put every point for the first 11 levels into dex to get combat skills up to make the game manageable.

People still play Arcanum with random builds. It can be very, very difficult. But hey, you can do it too! Create that cute elf girl! Ignore combat, or give her heal spells because when you create a char you don't know a healer is standing there! Make an interesting mechanic dwarf! Quit bitching about how "broke" the game is and create that dream char! Not a cookie cutter you googled! Play that stealth char that doesn't cast, hot shot! Lets hear about your original build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom