Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Even China is involved in marketing Disco Elysium:
8mfb09he28541.jpg

"what I got in the end" is surprisingly accurate.

Terenty

Liturgist
Maybe its a normie bait, but it also happens to ooze quality and creativity from every pore so who the fuck cares

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Except I gave other reasons for it to be popular and not only bribery. My main point is that it doesn't win because of its quality. It's a circus of pretentiousness.

No, you see, all other games that are acclaimed by the mainstream are so because of the wrong reasons. Somehow only DE deserves it. :lol:

The self-delusion of DE fans is amazing. Reminds me of something. Oh yeah, the self-delusion of retarded commies. What a coincidence, huh.

Puteo

Learned
Perhaps this is off-topic to the wonderfully constructive and illuminating discourse occurring in this thread; but does anyone know if a release date has been set for the english version of the Discoverse novel?

It's amazing how in the age of Outer Turds, Fallout 76, Ass Effect: Prospermeda, Felinity: Original Meow, and Dullards of Eternity, a great gem like Disco Disco comes out, and some tards here refuse to acknowledge its obvious greatness.

Atchodas

Augur
It's amazing how in the age of Outer Turds, Fallout 76, Ass Effect: Prospermeda, Felinity: Original Meow, and Dullards of Eternity, a great gem like Disco Disco comes out, and some tards here refuse to acknowledge its obvious greatness.

Not sure what visual novel has to do with those games (most of them shit but still games)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
More like stating an opinion.

what a ridiculous insinuation

You say it's "pretentious", but for a lot of people the theme and the writing is striking really close home. Mainly because they are during their own midlife crisis.

So, soccer dads :troll:

Then you make a claim that "soccer dads don't like anything other than read", which is exactly a reverse of what I heard and keep hearing still: that people don't like to read and readership keeps plummeting.

This is less of a point about their being super-glad to do a lot of reading, and more about the fact they get to skip all the "busywork" like combat, inventory tetris, paying attention to big numbers, etc. As I said, it's the same kind of audience that "really loves adventure games, except for the puzzles", which used to be the core target of all the Telltale Games interactive movies.

Then you make a claim that people like something they can't understand.

As if that was anything new. Or rather, it's a case of people's thinking that something is much more sophisticated just because they don't understand it.

And that "politicool content" even matters to people

Of course it does. "Woohoo, I can finally play out my deepest fantasies of being a raging [insert extreme political affiliation here] haha awesome". The major difference here though is that in DE the political content seems to be very tongue-in-cheek, as opposed to super-serious preaching you find in many other places. This in turn isn't all that different from idk people who say they can't wait to play a dark jedi in a Star Wars game.

If any one the above were true, then Tides of Numenera should've been a hit. It wasn't.

Negative. Numederpa was extremely anti-soccer dad with the slow-ass combat and inventory juggling. I also wouldn't call it particularly pretentious because it was so drab. Further, it lacked DE's gonzo journalism writing style and instead used generic_fantasy_crapola. And finally, it was not at all political, at least not overtly (out-of-character musings and observations about there being no white people a hundred million billion years into the future don't apply).

and most importantly, tton was just a completely uninspired, confused and lifeless piece of trash

I agree with Roxor. It seems intuitive to me that a combat-less game with a lot of humor and a topical narrative would have more mainstream appeal than, say, the majority of CRPG renaissance games (not to suggest that there is anything wrong with that.) I have no idea if this bears out empirically in terms of sales numbers but it seems like a reasonable suspicion.

Also, soccer dads pack mean bulges UwU

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The most popular mainstream titles are gameplay-heavy, though, it might not be good gameplay, but it's definitely not reading without doing anything.

Trashos

Arcane
Come on, now, you guys really believe that DE ended up there because it was.... so great!? It does not matter if it is the greatest game ever made, that is not how you end up on Time's front cover.

Saduj

Arcane
:retarded:Every mainstream RPG ever had tons of combat but a combat-free RPG is obviously the most mainstream thing evah! :retarded:

Also, people who use the word “normie” unironically are not to be taken seriously.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
depends. some 'normies' don't comprehend certain internet niches the same way other people do

The most popular mainstream titles are gameplay-heavy, though, it might not be good gameplay, but it's definitely not reading without doing anything.

Multiple demographics can be encompassed by the overton window of mainstream gaming. There is probably little to no overlap between COD players and mobile gamers, for instance, but both are much more popular genres than the hardcore CRPG niche this website was originally dedicated to.

Of course, something being more/less popular does not mean you should enjoy it more (although this ends up being true more often than we would want it to be.)

Puteo

Learned
It seems intuitive to me that a combat-less game with a lot of humor and a topical narrative would have more mainstream appeal than, say, the majority of CRPG renaissance games

You say that as though you think mainstream opinion has any sort of objective standard they follow.

The mainstream considers things to be good because they are told said things are good. Whether it's marketing, word-of-mouth, or reviewers, it doesn't matter. Trying to ascribe any other pattern to the madness is plain hubris.

The same people who play easy railroaded popamole like Halo and Gears of War will also play a challenging and frequently confusing game like Dark Souls; because they are told it is good. Just as those same people will go and play Disco, because they are told it is good.

The only conclusion to draw from that is such a franchise and genre is going to get much more funding and be much more commercially viable than it was previously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom