Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Momock

Augur
I'm actually confused who is the dumbass at this point. The rhetoric is strong and I don't feel like scrolling back. Typical politics.
Ignoring all the bitching between the two... it depends on what your definition of "immersion" is.
For me it's believing what's happening in the universe and feeling concerned/interested, wanting to take part. For JDR13 it's not having HUD, I guess (for some other people it's the game being frist person, etc).

Of course MY definition is right and JDR13 is retarded. :obviously:

JDR13

Arcane
I'm actually confused who is the dumbass at this point. The rhetoric is strong and I don't feel like scrolling back. Typical politics.
Ignoring all the bitching between the two... it depends on what your definition of "immersion" is.
For me it's believing what's happening in the universe and feeling concerned/interested, wanting to take part. For JDR13 it's not having HUD, I guess (for some other people it's the game being frist person, etc).

Of course MY definition is right and JDR13 is retarded. :obviously:

Nah, my definition of immersion is much more than just what's on a HUD. That's only part of it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It looks like it's all just a bunch of costumes.
Sometimes, it's worth a little extra to look this damn good.
Lnmtut6.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Question for yall:

So I got this game on the sale and so far I'm a bit disappointed.. I mean it's not horrible, but an hour in it isn't really that scary to me and I think I've got the gameplay pretty much figured out. Basically, there's a bunch of zombies and you just try to run away from everything and pick up junk on the way, right? Here's where I'm at:

the security cop in the main hall just told me where claire (I think her name?) is (on the east side) and I'm supposed to go find her... I finished exploring some part of the west side

Anyway is this pretty much how the game is for the remainder? I wanna know because if it changes a ton or picks up a lot I might consider keeping it, but if the game is really just running around dodging zombies and collecting crap for another 3 hours I'm going to refund

Wunderbar

Arcane
an hour in it here's where I'm at:
the security cop in the main hall just told me where claire (I think her name?) is (on the east side) and I'm supposed to go find her...
that's just a very beginning, there are more than 3 hours of gameplay left.

I wanna know because if it changes a ton or picks up a lot I might consider keeping it, but if the game is really just running around dodging zombies and collecting crap for another 3 hours I'm going to refund
what did you expect? Survival horror is a genre where you trying to survive against monsters while collecting supplies and solving puzzles.
You can take any game and boil it down to "dodging zombies and collecting crap".

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
what did you expect? Survival horror is a genre where you trying to survive against monsters while collecting supplies and solving puzzles.
You can take any game and boil it down to "dodging zombies and collecting crap".

It's different with this game though, compared to ones I've enjoyed. In this game, there's a zombie or a pack of zombies around basically every corner and they have some sort of robotic tracking implant where they know exactly where I am and how to path to me once they spot me. So basically whenever I encounter a zombie (which is like, all the time), I have 2 options: 1) shoot it in the head like 5 times 2) find some way to sprint around it. Hiding isn't really an option here like it is in other survival horror games.

Also since I've been running into zombies so frequently there's no "fear of the unknown" because I know what to expect and my two options for handling any situation. So the horror is diminished at that point because I know that the strategy is to just try to sprint everywhere in the mansion like sonic the hedgehog and hope nobody grabs me. Also the zombies aren't really dangerous anyway, I think they need to grab me 4(?) times to kill me assuming I don't literally pause the game and use one of my stash of green herbs.

An example of a really good survival horror game is Amnesia and it works so well because you don't even really see the monster for the first half of the game, and it's so dangerous that once you do need to start maneuvering around them half way through the game you shit your pants because they're menacing as hell. I'm not getting that feeling in RE2 so far, running into enemies is more of a puzzle of how do I lure them away from the door that I want to go through.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's different with this game though, compared to ones I've enjoyed. In this game, there's a zombie or a pack of zombies around basically every corner and they have some sort of robotic tracking implant where they know exactly where I am and how to path to me once they spot me. So basically whenever I encounter a zombie (which is like, all the time), I have 2 options: 1) shoot it in the head like 5 times 2) find some way to sprint around it. Hiding isn't really an option here like it is in other survival horror games.
you can knee-cap them, i even takes less ammo than going for headshots.

Also since I've been running into zombies so frequently there's no "fear of the unknown" because I know what to expect and my two options for handling any situation. So the horror is diminished at that point because I know that the strategy is to just try to sprint everywhere in the mansion like sonic the hedgehog and hope nobody grabs me. Also the zombies aren't really dangerous anyway, I think they need to grab me 4(?) times to kill me assuming I don't literally pause the game and use one of my stash of green herbs.
zombies aren't a threat by themselves. Real threat will come later when certain other more dangerous enemies will populate RPD and will force you to run around stumbling into zombies by accident.

An example of a really good survival horror game is Amnesia and it works so well because you don't even really see the monster for the first half of the game, and it's so dangerous that once you do need to start maneuvering around them half way through the game you shit your pants because they're menacing as hell. I'm not getting that feeling in RE2 so far, running into enemies is more of a puzzle of how do I lure them away from the door that I want to go through.
Amnesia is barely a survival horror since it lacks "survival" part - you can't fight your enemies and most of the time they appear in some scripted sequence.
RE on the other hand was always a combat-fag series, player was supposed to be scared of a situation he's currently in. "Oh, there's a pack of dangerous enemies waiting for me behind a corner, i have no healing supplies and only one pistol mag, what should i do?!"

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
An example of a really good survival horror game is Amnesia and it works so well because you don't even really see the monster for the first half of the game, and it's so dangerous that once you do need to start maneuvering around them half way through the game you shit your pants because they're menacing as hell.

:notsureifserious:

Viata

Arcane
While I liked Amensia, I hated the idea of you being unable to do shit against the enemies. And then, every survivor horror game started having that shit where you can only run away and do nothing against your enemy. At least Alien: Isolation gives you a FmW and god burning those fuckers was so good.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
Dude realy? In Amnesia when the monster kills you it disapears into thin her when you respawn and you can do anything you want. Once you understand this there isn't even a game anymore, you just run around doing bullshit, let yourself be killed and then proceed with no menace. There isn't ressource management either.

PS: are you playing in the intended difficulty? (hardcore, with ink ribbons) Not that it will shange the dodging zombies thing, but still...

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Dude realy? In Amnesia when the monster kills you it disapears into thin her when you respawn and you can do anything you want. Once you understand this there isn't even a game anymore, you just run around doing bullshit, let yourself be killed and then proceed with no menace. There isn't ressource management either.

PS: are you playing in the intended difficulty? (hardcore, with ink ribbons) Not that it will shange the dodging zombies thing, but still...

First, in Amnesia, you wouldn't even realize that in your first playthrough unless you read some strategy guide or watched a playthrough. IDK why you'd read a strategy guide for a horror game and basically spoil the whole thing for yourself.

Second:
134341984.jpg

looks like standard is the intended difficulty. If hardcore was the intended difficulty then those elements should be present in standard. This is why games should only have one difficulty.

Anyway, I refunded. Just isn't the game for me.

Ivan

Arcane
Had a blast on Hardcore my first time thru, plenty fo moments I thought I had Fd myself and almost started over but I stuck through and persevered. I managed to ff Mr X with a knife after emptying all of my ammo :D

Had a much EASIER on the subsequent playthrough

JDR13

Arcane
I found Amnesia mediocre. There's exactly 1 part that I can remember as being cool. The rest of the game was forgettable.

That part...

When you're in the section that's flooded and being chased by the invisible creature. Being unable to see anything but the splashes of its footsteps made for some tense moments. Unfortunately, the rest of the game was void of any real tension.

Momock

Augur
Mine too.

Dawnkinsfan69 said:
First, in Amnesia, you wouldn't even realize that in your first playthrough unless you read some strategy guide or watched a playthrough. IDK why you'd read a strategy guide for a horror game and basically spoil the whole thing for yourself.
Dafuq? You realise it by dying one or two times. Unless it's your first video game or something.

And Resident Evil has to have ink ribbons to save, and the only mode that has them is hardcore, the only mode that matters. But I agree that standard mode should have them too, they fucked up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom