Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Need advice

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, I want a decent TB (squad) tactics game:
  • Relatively recent (last ~5 years)
  • Sci-fi/modern setting (with guns)
  • Soldier customization
  • Hand-crafted missions
  • No strategic layer, only tactics
I.e something like Mechanicus.

Thanks in advance.

Citizen

Chaos Gate. Not modern and has some randomly generated missions

Basically a bit simplified tactical layer of the original x-com without strategic map, just a set of missions

Mustawd

He want within the last 5 years, which is why it's hard.

If he want earlier, there's Silent Storm, Silent STorm Sentinels, and Hammer & Sickle are very good game.

We already gave him Templar Battleforce. But I agree it’s tough.

what about this?

have not played it, but I think it might include all the things you say, not sure how good it is..it seems fairly highly rated and its on sale..so...

edit: it might be more "squad" or "platoon" based than individual soldier based, if that matters though..

laclongquan

Arcane
Unless you get all hot and bothered about WH40K, I doubt it's any good.

1. The art style is reminiscent of tabletop figure which is just a big bother.

2. The style is actually fantasy dressing the skin of SF, not actual SF. There is a difference.

3. No soldier customization at all.

Templar Battleforce is the most obvious answer.

Maybe check out Chroma Squad, it's pretty fun.

I remember Steam Marines being okay as well, haven't played its sequel though.

Citizen

2. The style is actually fantasy dressing the skin of SF, not actual SF. There is a difference.

It's pretty good tactics game tho, it's just not about squad customization. More similar to stuff like Panzer/Fantasy/Whatever General than X-Coms

Mustawd

You have weird taste compared to mine. WH40K is a plus considering the game he referenced (Mechanicus).

Then again, you love those rtwp Ufo games...

For OP requirement, no customization is a killer!
I don't know what he means by "customization"..I believe you level up your units, but its nothing like new XCOM where you dress them up and paint them level of detail. Almost nothing has that. But I don't know how detailed it gets. I do own the game actually, bought it for 80% off or something... I just have not actually played it yet.

Citizen

I don't know what he means by "customization"..I believe you level up your units, but its nothing like new XCOM where you dress them up and paint them level of detail. Almost nothing has that. But I don't know how detailed it gets. I do own the game actually, bought it for 80% off or something... I just have not actually played it yet.

You just have basic leveling of units that grants them 1 out of 2 random skills every level. And you not always can transfer your unit from mission to mission. As opposed to x-com/chaos gate, where your units increase their stats in a continous campaign and have inventories with a lot of possible loadout customization

You have weird taste compared to mine. WH40K is a plus considering the game he referenced (Mechanicus).

Then again, you love those rtwp Ufo games...

yeah that is one reason I mentioned it, is because the OP mentioned a 40k game in the first place, so it hardly seems out of place. I agree with you.

And its true 40k is more fantasy than sci-fi, but the lore in 40k is actually very well done if one is just able to let themselves appreciate it for what it is. It is not trying to be serious science fiction or anything like that, and despite its "dark tone', I don't believe it takes itself all that seriously. I don't take it all that seriously at least, and its pretty enjoyable for what it is. I admit to resisting it for many years thinking it was stupid or silly, but it was much better than I gave it credit for when I actually gave it a chance eventually.

laclongquan

Arcane
WH40K is a personal taste to some players~ It's not mine, which is why I stress it. If you like it, then the game is a plus. If not, then minus.

I have no opinion regarding WH40K lore. It is what it is, which is fantasy dressing the skin of SF (and this statement mean neutrally, no positive no negative). Since OP put SF as one requirement I just mention it.

You just have basic leveling of units that grants them 1 out of 2 random skills every level. And you not always can transfer your unit from mission to mission. As opposed to x-com/chaos gate, where your units increase their stats in a continous campaign and have inventories with a lot of possible loadout customization

Yes, that's what I mean by no customization. UFO Afterlight, Aftershock units has customization , changing weapons, armors, inventories, directing skill points and minor/major trainings, while this WH40K game unit doesnt have such thing (levelup skill is randomly given).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom