Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Need advice

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Strain Tactics might have some of those elements that OP asked for, but it is real time.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I am Not A Monster is everything you describe, plus a good story (or rather story telling) and very nice art style. Highly recommended.

The first 20% 25% can get a bit repetitive, but when the enemies starts to roll out the ranged weapons (instead of melee hordes) it really becomes great.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I second Templar Battleforce, pretty sweet game
I just started it after seeing your 2 recommendation.

Do I fight something else than Tyrann... I mean Aliens ? I like ranged combat.

Yeah later down the line, you do fight human enemies. I suggest upping the difficulty and not necessarily aiming to finish the game, it works better if you end in a glorious death for the Emperor, otherwise if you play it like a rpg or something it can become a grind (literally, you'll be grinding down aliens all the time). It doesn't work so much as a roguelike but it's how I played it, a bit like Battle Brothers

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'll add my voice for Into the Breach.
  • Really good tactical
  • Different teams for different gameplay
  • Quite short but you can always restart with a different team, high re-playability
  • Good visuals and UI

Last edited by a moderator:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Into the Breach is an exceptional game that everyone should play (including game designers and UI/UX desginers), and I add it to the recommendation.

Invisible Inc, very good game, veers more on the side of stealth game than tactical game.

Speaking of which, Mutant Year Zero qualifies too though
- Recent
- Post apo with guns
- Soldier customization
- Not hand-crafted mission, since it is not "mission based", but exploration based, with 100% handcrafted environment
- No strategic layer, only a tactical layer with exploration / stealth in between

Advice if you want to have fun : don't abuse stealth kill. Rather than use the leeway the game offers you on stealth kill (the enemy won't call for help as long as (s)he is stunned / on the ground / whatever), only allow yourself to stealth kill what you can kill in one round and with 100% chance rate (so no abusing the "double tap" with 75% chance to hit, and reload if you don't hit).

You will understand when you play the game.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bros, I want a decent TB (squad) tactics game:
  • Relatively recent (last ~5 years)
  • Sci-fi/modern setting (with guns)
  • Soldier customization
  • Hand-crafted missions
  • No strategic layer, only tactics
I.e something like Mechanicus.

Thanks in advance.
I really liked DeathWatch 40K. It has dumb random looting of Marine (because it was a mobile game where you could buy lootboxes. The Steam version kept the cards, but removed the ability to buy them, and upped the drop rate a lot. Note that Cheat Engine solves all your problems if you fstill ind it too low).
It is buggy for some players (some even have the game CTD on startup), but it has an awesome level design, close to Incubation, and it has nice opponent variety. Also, the difficulty levels are better done than usual (opponents don't get more hitpoints, they get variations with missile launchers, or whatever Tyranid call them, or regeneration).

Sanctus Reach is competent. It works rather well, but it lacks "elegance". Also, the customization is really weird: you can customize your core campaign units, but you cannot select which one can take part in which mission (ie, you get something like 1/3rd of your force selectable for each mission, and you must decide which ones among this subset to bring depending on your budget).
That really killed the campaign feeling for me. The tactical part is still good. I think the game should have stayed longer in beta.
It is possible the latter DLC campaigns don't suffer from this issue.

Invisible Inc does work very well indeed. I also strongly recommend it, if you don't mind stealth based turn based gameplay.

Into the Breach feels like a "smaller" game than MEchanicus. It works better in shorter sessions (and has little campaign feel, as the campaigns are rather short), but it is very elegant.

Halfway may be a bit simplistic (mostly because combat happens on very small indoor maps. The system itself is OK), and light on the customization side of things, but it has a very good atmosphere.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
OK, it is not recent by any stretch, but I just started W40K : Chaos Gate, and oh boy it is a five-stars tactical game with excellent atmospher. Original X-COM grade so far, maybe slightly inferior but really at a level where you can compare the two and I can accept someone thinking Chaos Gate is better. It has been a looonnnggg time since I had this feeling discovering a new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom