Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a Fantasy-fag or a Sci-Fi-fag?

Are you a fantasy-fag or a sci-fi-fag?

• Total voters

JDR13

Arcane
Post-apoc fag for sure.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The poll needs a kingcomrade option. I like both sci-fi and fantasy, but the setting is ultimately not the thing that determines whether a work is good or bad.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Fantasy all the way, from Tolkien to Borges, and not ignoring fairy tales, horror stories, ancient epics, religious fables, and even some capeshit films that I like (I have a weakness for Batman Returns, despite its political alignment). And I'm ignoring fantasy works disguised as sci fi ones (like Star Wars) only for the sake of argument.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I like my fantasy to be actually fantastic.
Like, when there are actually cool places to visit and if the game gives you the option of being a wizard or a vampire you're actually allowed to do some cool wizard/vampire stuff - something like that.

I am also not partial to the so called "alien" settings. Something like this

or this

Machocruz

Arcane
I guess fantasy since it's so damn broad. Can encompass anything from Baldur's Gate ("medieval" fantasy) to Ninja Gaiden (urban or martial arts fantasy) to Castlevania (gothic horror fantasy) to Kenshi (post apoc fantasy).

But while fantasy has more that I like in general, my top 10 is dominated by sci-fi. Deus Ex, SS2, Metroid Prime, X-Com, Alpha Centauri, Strider (Genesis version).

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sci-fi, which I lump in with Post-Apocalypse. Fallout is my favorite RPG series, Alpha Centauri is my favorite strategy game, and Blade Runner/The Thing are two of my absolute favorite movies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Post-apoc really blurs the line between fantasy and sci-fi though. Is there much traditional sci-fi imagery in Mad Max? Not really.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
My opinions are neutral and I am willing to enjoy both settings assuming they are done well. I lean toward fantasy due to me liking the medieval atmosphere.

JDR13

Arcane
Post-apoc really blurs the line between fantasy and sci-fi though. Is there much traditional sci-fi imagery in Mad Max? Not really.

No, not really. It's usually one or the other.

Also, I consider Post-apoc its own genre regardless of its common label as a subgenre.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Science Fiction is about exploring the possibilities of our physical world, while fantasy's about exploring the human mind and soul. As good as the former can be, it can't really compete with the latter.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom