Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Translation patch for Hero Senki - Project Olympus was just released : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5323/
5323screenshot2.png

jungl

Augur
someone need to upload geomon 3 already translated rom to the internet.

Jinn

Arcane
someone need to upload geomon 3 already translated rom to the internet.

It's extremely easy to patch SNES roms using a patching program called Lunar IPS. Go check it out.

As for this nonsense with the Ganbare Goemon 3 translation - absolute bullshit. Tom was trying to be faithful to the original version, and thus translated the original offensive Japanese term into an even somewhat milder English variation. Fuck Hardcore Gaming 101 for leading this absurd crusade. I hope Tom gets past this and gets back to work. I know he's struggled a lot with whether or not he wanted to continue translating in the first place, so something like this might actually push him over the edge into abandoning all future projects.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Also, Hardcore Gaming used to be cool. Now they're embarrassing and cringey.
It was uncool for many years now - he threw in his lot politically then and banned any dissenters from his forum and most of the modern non-contributed articles end up looking like the sort of thing people made fun of the CRPGaddict's Rance 1 review for.

Not that the site was ever really in-depth or qualified on its articles, it's only useful as a mild reference and tends to have tons of factual errors.

spekkio

Arcane
I still browse the old HG1010 site from time to time (interestng articles about Megaten or Nippon Ichi japticals), but the new one is a fucking abomination. HG101 was always about detailed articles describing whole game series, and now it's about... What exacly?

:decline:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I still browse the old HG1010 site from time to time (interestng articles about Megaten or Nippon Ichi japticals), but the new one is a fucking abomination. HG101 was always about detailed articles describing whole game series, and now it's about... What exacly?

:decline:
You'll like to know that the faggots in charge of that shithole have been reediting past articles to remove wrongthink. I haven't been there in years, I refuse to give those subhumans clicks.

Derringer

Prophet
You'll like to know that the faggots in charge of that shithole have been reediting past articles to remove wrongthink. I haven't been there in years, I refuse to give those subhumans clicks.

Communists will be communists, they unironically read the same books so the pathology for control comes out about the same.

lightbane

Arcane
Really? That would explain why I found some old articles I read long ago weird, or outright gone. :decline: indeed.
At least they're doing articles for games for now, instead of having lengthy wall-of-text pieces written by someone who seems to be trying too hard to sound "deep", for not to mention it talked about games no-one ever heard about.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
HG101 is a shame. It was great for being one of the earliest and most notable sites to open discussion on exploring and examining gaming at an enthusiast level in the 2000s, and creating a point of interest that brought prestigious-tier people together with their forum. But that was then.

HG101's starkly amateur approach hasn't improved since it started, and clumsily adopting the political posturing of social media to look fashionable has made the site an embarassing relic of a less informed era that shows its age. Their "dark age of JRPGs" series is a perfect example. Like most things on the site, it's just a grossly uneducated and superficial glossary of Japanese obscurities from a misinformed westerner perspective without bothering to source accurate information or even showing respect for the cultural context of the games represented in the articles. Seriously, the Codex's obscure JRPG thread is an infinitely better source of real information in all regards than what HG101 does with these games.

HG101 is mildly amusing to browse if you're curious about obscure stuff and you don't mind terrible scans and poorly made screenshots, but you should never treat it as a source of reliable information, much less bother with the content of the articles as they're almost all misleading and naive at best, and contemptous and self-indulgent at worst.

The shameless crowdsource money begging for their video game book publications was bad enough, but to get back on topic, HG101 should be dragged out back and put out of its misery if they're actively mobbing against fan translations these days. It's just ironic and shows how useless the site is in discussing and preserving old video games.

lightbane

Arcane
This dude works/ed? for Obsidian

Every time. They truly are the same. NPC meme, all of that.

HG101's starkly amateur approach hasn't improved since it started, and clumsily adopting the political posturing of social media to look fashionable has made the site an embarassing relic of a less informed era that shows its age.

It hasn't improved, it got worse, even the web-design. Also, clumsily adopting? More like embracing it out of nowhere at the expense of everyone else. I remember how the website closed during the day of Trump's electoral victory in mourning. By then it was obvious they were being slowly but surely being corrupted by the same insanity being present in SJWs and other lunatics.
The fact they censored a translation because they don't like the content even if it's merely following the original script is the last straw.

Their "dark age of JRPGs" series is a perfect example. Like most things on the site, it's just a grossly uneducated and superficial glossary of Japanese obscurities from a misinformed westerner perspective without bothering to source accurate information or even showing respect for the cultural context of the games represented in the articles. Seriously, the Codex's obscure JRPG thread is an infinitely better source of real information in all regards than what HG101 does with these games.

How so? Can you elaborate?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lost-power-the-dark-age-of-jrpgs/

This one for example is merely average, not as terrible as you say. There are way worse reviews that merely consist on wall-of-texts that are not about the game at all.
No idea about their podcasts.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
How so? Can you elaborate?
I'm looking through their JRPG series, and shamefully I might have been hyperbolic, because I can't find the one article that stood out to me as being especially egregious with the orientialism and disdain for pixels resembling nude girls. However, the issue with the series in general I can say for certain is that they don't approach any of this from the perspective of someone familiar with Japanese, which is what it would be worth if they had any interest in uncovering something meaningful rather than prodding at romdumps and game images through an emulator and calling it "uncovering a dark age".

There are way worse reviews that merely consist on wall-of-texts that are not about the game at all.
That's gotta be the Tim Rogers guest articles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom