Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

Paul_cz

Arcane
Exodus was my favourite Metro because of those open levels, this DLC looks like another linear tunnel affair, hmm.

Sentinel

Arcane
Only 2033 was good anyhow. LL and Exodus are putrid fucking shit. Fuck 4A Tech for trying to sell Ranger Hardcore as DLC for LL, and then reconfiguring the controls for that game to focus on controller layouts, making it impossible to play on the harder difficulties because HUD prompts dont show up (essential for selecting grenades and other gadgets and completing QTEs), and multiple actions are bound to the same key.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
hey guise just fyi you can get the Metro Gold Edition (regular price 65 bucks) for 20 bucks on the epic store RN ok bye guise

Worth noting the game came out in February, so the fabled Steam release is coming up. I don't personally care about such things but others might.

I haven't even played the second game yet. :cry:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
hey guise just fyi you can get the Metro Gold Edition (regular price 65 bucks) for 20 bucks on the epic store RN ok bye guise

Worth noting the game came out in February, so the fabled Steam release is coming up. I don't personally care about such things but others might.

Others certainly will but they'll have to wait at least for the next Christmas sale before the Gold Edition is 20 bucks on Steam.

JDR13

Arcane
Metro Exodus was one of the better games I played this year. I get that some people are still butthurt over the whole Epic Store thing, but Exodus is definitely worthwhile if you enjoy open-world shooters.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Exodus is probably my GOTY, although that says nothing because I played very few games. But I would give it 9/10, very enjoyable and atmospheric shooter. Just wish it was even more STALKERish and Artyom wasn't a mute retard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Metro Exodus was one of the better games I played this year. I get that some people are still butthurt over the whole Epic Store thing, but Exodus is definitely worthwhile if you enjoy open-world shooters.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had beaten Last Light. Definitely need to do that soon.

Murk

Arcane
I played Exodus "through a friend" and thought the game was fine. It wasn't the same ''''''''''''''''Metro''''''''''''''' feel as the first two, but I have no real emotional attachment to the games so I was able to put aside my usual autism and just enjoy it for what it was.

I liked it, and would have happily enjoyed 2x more of the same. Damn shame some of the later areas weren't more fleshed out, but it was fun and scratched a tiny bit of that STALKER itch.

If there's a DLC bundled version soon to come out, may pick it up. I liked LL plenty and I played it way after the fact so I didn't deal with the insulting ranger mode = DLC shenans.

I did play through the first two games on Ranger mode on my first try and while I thought it was fun, it was a little annoying doing certain things (like picking grenade/throwing knife).

DeepOcean

Arcane
In terms of level design and gameplay, Exodus is the best one, the first one however is the only one with the sense of a developed story with a beginning, middle and end. Last Light is about some faction war on the background and you doing stuff then the game remembers there is a plot and finishes all up on a hurry on the last chapter, very meh game. Exodus is even more retarded in terms of plot with a plot twist right on the beginning of the game that turns the Metro setting on a retarded mess and other story choices that are retarded to an insane level, it has interesting open levels with interesting enviromental storytelling but the main story is a retarded mess.

JDR13

Arcane

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had beaten Last Light. Definitely need to do that soon.

Last Light is kind of weak imo. It's not all bad, but it's a step below the other games.

Ivan

Arcane
Shit kept crashing on me via Xbox Game Pass (anyone else?). Exploration and atmosphere is wonderful, though the gunplay did come across as anemic, exacerbated by the outdoors setting

JDR13

Arcane
Shit kept crashing on me via Xbox Game Pass (anyone else?). Exploration and atmosphere is wonderful, though the gunplay did come across as anemic, exacerbated by the outdoors setting

I didn't have any technical issues, but I played the PC version via Epic. Were you able to finish it?

Ivan

Arcane
No, I had to give up on my playthrough :/ I was still in the first hub (swamplands) so I do look forward to picking up when it hits STEAM (and maybe will have a better rig by then)

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks to +2 months of Game Pass (normally +3 but because i got the ultimate back when it was 5 euros or so, they got converted to that) that my AMD CPU came with, i played it for a few days and finished it yesterday.

I can't say i liked it that much. It was at the edge of "liking vs disliking" it so i kept playing. But IMO it had the worst elements of open world games without even being an open world game - it is just a linear game like the previous, except with much bigger levels. Normally that "linear progression, open levels" is something i like, but in this case they just didn't had any reason to make them open beyond "we need to have bigger levels because bigger is better or something" so they shoved meaningless random crap everywhere (especially the Caspian level is awful at that - i used binoculars to search the area and it was placing markers all over the map where 9 out of 10 was a rusty boat with one or two corpses that i got a tiny amount of resources from).

The gunplay was also mediocre at best, most enemies are bullet sponges (especially the humans - some took *tons* of bullets, grenades in the face and pretty much everything i had to take down). The only weapon i found satisfying was the shotgun after i upgraded it to four barrels, but of course it was eating ammo very fast and there wasn't much of it. The crossbow or whatever was absolutely useless with how long it took to reload and the only reason i used the weapon that shoots metallic balls was when i ran out of ammo for everything else and could only craft balls from my backpack. Well, ok, i also used its flame balls for a bit since they were almost insta-kill for everything outside of boss-level enemies, but crafting those flame balls needed a lot of chemicals that i'd rather use for crafting medkits.

The atmosphere is great and mainly what kept me playing, though the writing and presentation was again on the "more is better" approach. I liked the small discussions and life going on between levels in Metro 2033 and Last Light, but with a focus on "small". In Exodus there are sections that go on forever without you doing anything. The last level where you are tripping balls on radiation (the series takes a lot of artistic license on radiation, though i guess this is based on what people actually thought about radiation around the 70s/80s - some of the stuff that happen in the game look similar to stories i've read on a book about how people in Ukraine and Russia acted after the Chernobyl accident) was also awful, but at least
it didn't turn out that you killed the Colonel thinking he was the gorillas - they acted too weird so i tried to avoid killing them just in case - and he just died by himself

A minor issue, though it does stand out considering the game's production values (especially the visuals), is how awful the english voice acting is - there is pretty much zero emotion in it, outside of Sam (played by Troy Baker, i think) everyone else speaks as if they are reading loud some dissertation or something. Yes, the accent is neat, but that is all to it.

And finally, they are on the third game, when they will finally realize that writing dialog that expects participation from the protagonist feels very awkward when the game has a silent protagonist (which is weird considering the protagonist does speak between levels...)?

For me Exodus is the worst of the Metro games, the previous games were more focused (though i think they were closer to HL2 than CoD that others mentioned) and any negative elements were constrained. For this the overall idea is interesting, it just suffers from trying to become bigger than it could really sustain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom