Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

CuckMasher

Novice
Ive never played any mw, where should i start? Not with this one it looks like.

Cael

Arcane
MW2 Mercs is probably the best one.

MW3 is a bit absurd in that it is very easy, but it does give you the feel of salvage and limited equipment.

MW4 has some of the worst acting you will ever see in a game. Bad to the point of being funny.

MW4 Mercs can be hard and Solaris is something you have to experience to fully understand. Duncan Fisher is a boss.

4 is old but still mechanically holds (sadness overload), at least mw4 mercenaries + mekpak.
mw3 is pretty obsolete.
mw2 is ancient, archaeological, but if you're into gilfs, for its time it's still the best one.

CuckMasher

Novice

MW3 is a bit absurd in that it is very easy, but it does give you the feel of salvage and limited equipment.

MW4 has some of the worst acting you will ever see in a game. Bad to the point of being funny.

MW4 Mercs can be hard and Solaris is something you have to experience to fully understand. Duncan Fisher is a boss.

Thanks for the info. Where can one actually get these games now? I'm not seeing them on gog/steam, but maybe I'm missing it.

Black

Arcane

Thanks for the info. Where can one actually get these games now? I'm not seeing them on gog/steam, but maybe I'm missing it.
Only torrents and such, can't buy them unless it's used goods.

actually you can't even ASK about mw4 mercs + mekpak. not kidding. just asking on "more official" forums will get you censored or even banned.

who knows. i collected two censures and a ban. it might be related to uncle bill revoking their rights to free distribution of mw4 but i'm not sure, there's very few people willing to talk and even fewer who know anything about.

lightbane

Arcane
If fixing something as trivial as spawn range is a difficulty, then the mission generation is far from being done into something remotely acceptable.

It's both funny and sad how "modern games" have so many issues with enemies popping into combat range, although this one is ridiculous. The nu-Battlefield games also have this, but you had to pay a bit of attention to notice.

who knows. i collected two censures and a ban. it might be related to uncle bill revoking their rights to free distribution of mw4 but i'm not sure, there's very few people willing to talk and even fewer who know anything about.

I suppose it's also to not make the latest MW game look worse compared to a free one they developed decades ago.

Morkar Left

If fixing something as trivial as spawn range is a difficulty, then the mission generation is far from being done into something remotely acceptable.

It's both funny and sad how "modern games" have so many issues with enemies popping into combat range, although this one is ridiculous. The nu-Battlefield games also have this, but you had to pay a bit of attention to notice.

Thank you guys. I was tempted to give it a try next year (and even buying a new joystick for it). But having no well designed missions I'm giving it a pass. :negative:

Norfleet

Solaris really drove home the point that mechs only make sense as a sport, in any other practical combat scenario, tanks would be better. A tank of equivalent tech would simply be better armored, faster, have lower ground pressure, lower target profile, and have a bigger gun fired from a more stable platform. An example of this can be seen very easily: A person can fire a gun while prone that would knock them on their ass if they tried to fire it standing.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
No shit sherlock. Mech genre exists because mechs are cool. Nobody cares that it "doesnt make sense" or whatever.

Last edited:

Norfleet

And that's why we should have more games set where this entire thing is a SPORT. That way we can have doping scandals as well.

in battletech tanks are already better than mechs. mechs are at the top of the food chain only because they're nimbler and have better all-terrain capabilities.

Cael

Arcane
in battletech tanks are already better than mechs. mechs are at the top of the food chain only because they're nimbler and have better all-terrain capabilities.
Hit locations are a big plus for 'mechs. You blow through any armour in a vehicle and it is basically dead. With 'mechs, more pieces can go flying, increasing survivalability.

Norfleet

have better all-terrain capabilities.
I dispute this in any situation where ground pressure becomes a factor. Try to take a mech into any kind of soft terrain, and by soft, I mean, anything softer than space concrete, and concentrating a hundred tons onto a single foot results in you sinking to your hips in normal concrete.

Hit locations are a big plus for 'mechs. You blow through any armour in a vehicle and it is basically dead. With 'mechs, more pieces can go flying, increasing survivalability.
I wouldn't say this is true at all. First, the armor on a mech would be way thinner due to the far greater surface area that the same mass of armor must cover. That means a far lighter weapon is needed to pen armor on a mech than a tank with equivalent mass of armor. Shots that would just bounce from a tank become dangerous penetrating hits to a mech. Second, vehicles would actually sustain far more damage before becoming totally unusable: A mech that loses any major leg piece falls on its face in addition to being a mobility kill. A vehicle that gets its engine shot out stops moving, but can still shoot. In real life, there are even tanks that specifically use their heavy engine block as crew protection, so you can actually use less critical systems of the vehicle as armor for more important ones.

Cael

Arcane
I dispute this in any situation where ground pressure becomes a factor. Try to take a mech into any kind of soft terrain, and by soft, I mean, anything softer than space concrete, and concentrating a hundred tons onto a single foot results in you sinking to your hips in normal concrete.

I wouldn't say this is true at all. First, the armor on a mech would be way thinner due to the far greater surface area that the same mass of armor must cover. That means a far lighter weapon is needed to pen armor on a mech than a tank with equivalent mass of armor. Shots that would just bounce from a tank become dangerous penetrating hits to a mech. Second, vehicles would actually sustain far more damage before becoming totally unusable: A mech that loses any major leg piece falls on its face in addition to being a mobility kill. A vehicle that gets its engine shot out stops moving, but can still shoot. In real life, there are even tanks that specifically use their heavy engine block as crew protection, so you can actually use less critical systems of the vehicle as armor for more important ones.
He was saying "in Battletech".

You are talking real life physics in a game with interstellar travel and big honking robots as the centrepiece of warfare. Seriously. Get help.

Black

Arcane

Look, tanks are cool.
Mechs are cooler.

Overboard

Arcane

The original. You haven't lived until you've sprinted up to a Battlemaster in your Locust, blown it's legs away with your machineguns, and sauntered off with a shitload of c-bills.

4226.jpg

Last edited:

Norfleet

He was saying "in Battletech".
The same things would apply in Battletech! All the armor points concentrated in one zone which is potentially harder to hit because hull down vs. a mech which can't go hull down and falls on its face if it loses a leg after only losing a small fraction of the total armor points?

I mean, a mech has to distribute its tons of armor points across multiple different body regions, and losing any of several of those regions tends to result in total mission kill. A tank would only have, like, front, sides, rear, turret, top, bottom, and most of those facings are realistically not exposed in a confrontation and real tanks go light on them, too, which means you may end up trying to shoot through all of those points concentrated into frontal and turret armor.

lightbane

Arcane
*Using "REELISHM!" argument in mech games* Really guys?
If we're going with this route, then it would be more acceptable to play "power armor simulator" games. Unfortunately, these are pretty much gone forever outside of Terra Nova.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom