Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The next BioShock from 2K's new studio Cloud Chamber

Dayyālu

Arcane
Underwater Dad Simulator was the best entry in the series for sure.

You already got the gameplay improvements, but Underwater Dad Simulator, despite some glaring problems in writing, managed better the obligatory waifu angle compared to Infinite. In Infinite the waifu rules and it's the center of all things, quickly becoming bothersome. LOVE HER VENERATE HER the game screams.

Eleanor in B2 gives the player the father routine. Pick your choices&consequences, and she reacts appropriately, doesn't take shit from anyone, and when she's with you she's heavily into mauling people with a drill. I have an istinctual dislike of forced waifus, but Eleanor manages not to be obnoxious. Quite a feat, from the series that gave you such enthralling moral choices as "MUTILATE CHILDREN OR NOT FOR INGAME RESOURCES".

Wunderbar

Arcane
Since Infinite's story is retarded and goes to nowhere, i kinda hope they are making a sequel to Bioshock 2.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Since Infinite's story is retarded and goes to nowhere, i kinda hope they are making a sequel to Bioshock 2.

Bioshock 2 already stretched thin the amount of resources you got out of the setting and storyline: there isn't simply much more they can do with Rapture and keeping the art deco-with-mutants ambience. You can't have the same apocalypse thrice.

Of course, they could go full biohorror and set it up on the remnants of the city in the 80ies or something, a ruined blasted underwater hellscape infested by amphibious mutations that went beyond all humanity (dunnow, taking a clue from old movies like Leviathan or Virus) but that isn't what you would expect from Bioshock.

In be4re soft reboot

Alphons

Cipher
Wut? Infinite's story opens up millions of millions (of millions) possibilities.

Nah, Levine decided to end Bioshock with a final "fuck you" to his team at Irrational.

During Burial at Sea
Elizabeth collapses alternate realities into herself to save Sally.

Here's link to more in-depth explanation
https://steamcommunity.com/app/8870/discussions/0/558751660937080030/

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
how does he get al the credit

the games a direct sequel to system shock 1 which he had nothing to do with

the engine was written from thief 2

all the gameplay system were designed and developed by 1 guy and it wasn't levine

the setting and writing was lifted and developed from system shock 1 buy the entire team

theres about 40 people listed in the credits

levine didnt design a single level he isn't an engineer and has no skills in artworks or three dimensional graphics modeling or animations or sound and audio work

what exactly did he do to " (where Ken Levine gets all the credit)."

you are one dumb kid infiltron the dumnbest on the forum buddy but u make me laugh whenever u post

thesecret1

Arcane
Never understood what people saw in Bioshocks. The story never hit me as somehow groundbreaking or even particularly good – first one felt rather boring (though, granted, that was in large part due to the gameplay), second one was serviceable (simple and doing it's job right, but really not something to be astonished over), third one was garbage. Gameplay was shit in all of them (although the second one managed to stand above the other two), there just wasn't anything that seemed of particular interest to me save for the setting and art style. They should have stuck with the design of System Shock.

Dayyālu

Arcane
there just wasn't anything that seemed of particular interest to me save for the setting and art style.

Welcome to the basics of Bioshock.

It's a pseudo System Shock for people that do not play games. It lucked out amongst game journos that wanted an "immersive and artsy experience" and with the console crowds that rarely had the chance to approach a Shock-lite before. Also, art deco before everyone and his cat put out games with such an art style.

Bio 2 is interesting because it's a sequel developed by people that knew how to develop a game and tried desperately to improve it gameplay-wise. I can rant at large regarding what Bioshock 2 did right, from fixing the mediocre graphics (everything in Bio1 looks like muddy shit, sinking the great art design) just look at the little sisters by chrissakes

latest

I am supposed to care for La Creatura Subaquea

889ecb28cf97c2e0952359ba0e2b4026.jpg

At least in Bio2 the models, are, well, acceptable art-direction wise.

And it improved the gameplay loop massively. Infinite is a travesty and it's another proof that it was a game designed for and by people that do not play games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

all the gameplay system were designed and developed by 1 guy and it wasn't levine

the setting and writing was lifted and developed from system shock 1 buy the entire team

levine didnt design a single level he isn't an engineer and has no skills in artworks or three dimensional graphics modeling or animations or sound and audio work

you are one dumb kid infiltron the dumnbest on the forum buddy but u make me laugh whenever u post
Writing / Dialogue / Story Ken Levine

As I put it several years ago
Lovely how that blowhard Levine is now associated with System Shock even though all he did was write the video game equivalent of http://www.wickedhorror.com/top-horror-lists/horror-sequels-that-began-life-as-original-scripts/

Imagine a world where EA wasn't in the picture and instead Junction Point was released to near-total obscurity (System Shock 2 bombed, an original title would have done even worse).

Wunderbar

Arcane
They wrapped up Infinite's story in DLCs.
There's no chance they're going back there.
they've wrapped it up in the most retarded way possible.

Wut? Infinite's story opens up millions of millions (of millions) possibilities.
i.e. it doesn't open anything, even some bullshit like "it was all dream" would've been better than Levine's multiverse crap.

ciox

Liturgist

This is needlessly exaggerated. Levine has major issues, the biggest one being his habit of kneecaping promising projects for no apparent reason, but he's not a comedic caricature of a fraud and villain.

Far as I can tell Levine did the basic ground work for the SS2 project, like making the design document, setting the direction, making the big choices that limit the game's scope to something reasonable, all of that stuff.
There's no doubt others came in to create the vision but the project didn't exist before him. I can't find the exact quotes but the claim was that he wrote some giant design/pitch document for the game that everyone had to read through, which is not that hard to believe since this is supposed to be his pitch and design document for Bioshock in 2002 https://bioshock.fandom.com/wiki/BioShock_Original_Pitch

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nah, Levine decided to end Bioshock with a final "fuck you" to his team at Irrational.

During Burial at Sea

With Levine out of the picture I'd imagine they will just hand-wave that and make a new similarly styled/structured game in a different location. Or go full lazy and do a Rapture reboot. No one actually cares about this nitpicky continuity stuff.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Between Levine and faceless money man number #241 that 2k is gonna replace him, I dunno who is worse. At least with Levine I could make edgy jew jokes.

ciox

Liturgist

During Burial at Sea

With Levine out of the picture I'd imagine they will just hand-wave that and make a new similarly styled/structured game in a different location. Or go full lazy and do a Rapture reboot. No one actually cares about this nitpicky continuity stuff.

People love theorizing where the Bio universe will go next and amazingly, we still don't have a good guess.

It's even more muddy now that we know how there was one thing being worked on and it was cancelled for not being good enough. Got a bigger budget allowing more than a retread?

Whatever else you might say of Levine, he did write both Freedom Force games, which feature undeniably excellent writing. He just needs to focus on projects which force him to get his head out of his ass, take himself a little less seriously, and actually have a little fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom