Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

ADL

Prophet
For better or worse Bethesda has a monopoly on their style of open world game and I totally understand why people keep playing, they don't have a choice because alternatives to their games, especially 76, don't exist.

Edit: Feel free to point me to an open world co-op shooter that has Bethesda levels of loot, persistent character data and build mechanics.

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
There hasn't been a single upswing to this game. Not one bit of good publicity. Every single thing Bethesda has done has been a total fuckup.

It's all just a PR stunt so they can pull the good ol' "well, we realized our mistakes with Fallout 76... but now, with Fallout 5, we're going back to our old-school Fallout 3 roots once again!"

It seems as if anything, everything, that could go wrong... has. As if it were all intentional: "Malicious Compliance"

Much like the Creation Club for microtransactioning a single-player game with more horse armor to cause friction with the modding community, 76 was initially a skeptical foray into taking Fallout multiplayer, as the multiplayer elements it would drag into the game design hereto unknown by Bethesda or associated studios. But it was on order by The Suits Above because of how it was sold to them.

If 76 died then the that would have been the end of the "social experiment" as it was definitely a Vault loaded with the worst of everything, more than just a faulty Water Chip. A lot of developers are gamers themselves and hate this scummy shit in what they like to play, yet they have the suits directing them to make their own work a certain way. They don't like seeing their baby abused like this, even if they are the foster family after the baby was rescued from the creepy Caen molesters and given to the slightly differently-creepy Todd and Emil. TL;DR: Fallout 76 was meant to be another Fallout: PoS.

Instead, we got the clans again, who had to defend bad with excuses and now money in the hopes it would all get better. The idiotic white knights trying to keep the damn thing alive by making excuses, and showing their "support" by throwing money in faith like the money was actually going to go back into development of the game, are the ones who are determining what Zenimax puts in future games to squeeze their customers even more.

As a result, Starfield's now completely fucked.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I am way more disgusted by the fact, that that trailer has more upvotes than downvotes.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
They probably thought they'd annihilate Fortnite. Mmm hmmmm.... yeah.

not

The suits, yes. Much of the rank and file devs absolutely loathe this abomination. Think about it - is there any part of 76's release, support, patching, updates, etc. that haven't been made into a complete mess? And why did some things that worked, like the support portal, suddenly and catastrophically break in ways that were both new and also easily-fixed? Reloading guns causing armor to degrade? Obvious fuck yous like the duffle kerfluffle.

This seems like a good reason for why there is such a chafe between Bethesda and their own customers: for once the "players will fix it" is prolonging the shitshow the devs hate and having a negative affect upon future titles. They're now trapped in a hell of their own making, as they were warned about oh... about 14 years ago.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I have a couple canvas military duffle bags. I bet if i made some stencils i could make it fallout. Its pretty much bs bethesda fucjed up so much and the data leak of personal info is outrageous. I just don't trust that curly haired mofo running things.

You can still go to ebay though if you think you missed out
Ebay power edition

or you can buy an Airman's Bag
or a standard GI duffle
Or tactical duffle

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I knew I recognized that praying animation.

8fuC6GT.png

Now, one animation doesn't make or break a game. But re-using one that's a decade old and that doesn't even look that good just comes across as cheap. Especially when it's the main thing used to tease the tribal threat (or whatever it is) in the update.
How hard would it have been for Todd to say "All right, I want a sequence where tribals are doing something nasty for the trailer, to get people's attention. I want a model for a cage made out of bones, and I want a panicked animation for when a captive is lowered down to be sacrificed to a Deathclaw or something. Make sure you can see the captive's fear as they clutch the cage." Instead he went with "Just use that old Skyrim animation and have a bunch of them, like, pray to a tree or whatever".

And I'd wager that neither of the level designers who placed these praying guys have an answer for why they're there or what they are praying to. It's just a random bad guy praying to a random evil god on a randomly selected hill somewhere, waiting for the player to come kill them for their random generic loot.

I can't be bothered to compare the bow animation in the trailer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was ripped straight out of Skyrim as well.

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't think it's the first time something like that came up.

I think I read somewhere from a Ubisoft dev that they're re-using as much as they can from a game to a game between internal studios. Not just animations, but even parts of a code.

In case of Fallout 76, they just took Fallout 4 and made it online. No wonder they're reusing shit. It's like an addon, but with zero effort and investment, which is why Todd doesn't give a shit about this (they said he was rarely seen on this project).

Drakron

Arcane
I heard the rumor FO76 was FO4 multiplayer code that was hold on and turned into its own game, how true that is I dont know ... but considering how much appears from FO4 there is some credence to that.

I could go on about the Creation Engine that is Gamebryo that in turn is NetImmerse but I am pretty sure I already said a lot about it and I dont want to go over it, I say that FO76 was likely some experience from Bethesda as having a "games as service" model since they ticked about every damn box on that one (they missed a couple, F2P and Loot Boxes), including having its own propriety launcher connected to their own account management system that we all know how it gone, they also thought they could get away with idea you can launch a game in barebones state and then add content that should been at launch.

As a experiment they learned nothing from it because when they launched Wolfenstein Youngblood a lot of the problems that FO76 had appeared on that one as well, maybe they should rethink of making their own VR just in case they make heads explode as a result of their competence ...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join Wastelanders developers Jeff Gardiner (Project Lead, Bethesda Game Studios), Ferret Baudoin (Lead Designer, Bethesda Game Studios), Mark Tucker (Design Director, Bethesda Game Studios), and Nathan Purkeypile (Lead Artist, Bethesda Game Studios), and as they talk about the changes coming to Appalachia as well as what goes into creating the stories and motivations of West Virginia’s newest residents.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
It's a shame the weapons feel like stat sticks because it looks okay enough for a free update to a game you can get for five bucks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I mean... I'd buy this for $10 and play it if I don't have to install a fucking Bethesda client on top of Steam.

ADL

Prophet
I mean... I'd buy this for $10 and play it if I don't have to install a fucking Bethesda client on top of Steam.
You don't have to. When it comes to Steam, it'll work just like Quake Champions does on Steam (you login to a Bethesda.net account)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom