Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
v1DxZvI.jpg

who's spreading lies about IPL?

Vibalist

Arcane
Bought this game a few days ago after months of pondering if I was hardcore enough to play it without suffering several nervous breakdowns. Turns out I wasn't. But I'm still fucking loving it.

Jinn

Arcane
Bought this game a few days ago after months of pondering if I was hardcore enough to play it without suffering several nervous breakdowns. Turns out I wasn't. But I'm still fucking loving it.

Working as intended. :incline:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
This is Alex Nichiporchik from tinyBuild. He dindu nuffin to promote Pathologic 2 for Western audience. I hope pizza was good.

ZSLu_EjQ_400x400-300x300.jpg

Upd: good pizza, nice pizza

Seattle indie game developer tinyBuild raises $15M, plans to grow using ‘dynamic structure’ strategy

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
How come the russian tech companies never really get into game dev, or buy up studios? In the us, that's understandable since the triple a game dev cos are massive, but even then you have microsoft with their in-house team as well as the myriad of studios they've acquired over the years, amazon skirting the scene with their lumberyard engine etc. Where's the yandex dough when you need it?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
How come the russian tech companies never really get into game dev, or buy up studios? In the us, that's understandable since the triple a game dev cos are massive, but even then you have microsoft with their in-house team as well as the myriad of studios they've acquired over the years, amazon skirting the scene with their lumberyard engine etc. Where's the yandex dough when you need it?

Nobody really cares about the games in Russia en masse, except for dota shit and mobile/mmo shit. People who do care don't buy games for some weird reasons. And people who buy games in numbers are these 50k top. Sad!

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

prengle

Savant
So word on the street is that Bachelor and Changeling campaigns will be relatively short and linear compared to Haruspex. And in 'different genres', whatever that means:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathologic...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I suppose it's that or nothing at all.
i dont know why i didnt get a fucking alert about this thread being bumped but this edge magazine interview isnt the first time nikolays brought up the "different genres" thing - i said the same fucking thing in that reddit™ thread a few weeks ago but he already offhandedly mentioned in the (old and outdated!) dtf interview that he planned on making a smaller mobile game with the studio's remaining funds:

Dybowski said:
and with the money that it will bring us, we will complete the scenarios of the Bachelor and the Changeling - and we will do each in a new genre.

pretty much every fucking article or interview ive read regarding ice-pick recently has been positively swamped in doom and gloom, ever since the haruspex's campaign dropped back in may - and honestly there hasnt been a lot of coverage to begin with, ipl fans are used to long periods of radio silence as ice-pick themselves have never been the best at communication, plus most coverage on them is understandably in russian

im half asleep and i cant really express any of this shit properly (hell knows i havent kept up with this stuff as well as i would like to), but its worth noting that nikolay, even though he's a goddamn genius, is pretty well known for being temperamental as fuck and generally being hard to work with, constantly tweaking shit and rewriting things whenever he feels the need to. he was (is?) incredibly frustrated by how patho2 performed commercially and there have been some rumors of conflicts within the studio over the last couple of months: meethos left back in 2017, alphyna left shortly after the game launched in may (iirc she said it had nothing to do with internal disagreements), and in this old igromania article from august 2019 nikolay said he was planning on dividing the studio in half and working on developing a game by himself in private - im not entirely sure if this is actually how hes going about it but im assuming the game hes working on is franz?

as far as the "different genres" thing goes, theres been an anon whos in touch with an ex ice-pick dev (not sure if i should disclose their name or not but said anon told me, so..) and popping up in /v/ threads dropping info from him. this is what he had to say regarding recent events:

EORm_RvWoAAs09P

i know that most leaks and rumors posted on /v/ are automatically bullshit but this anon has repeatedly posted concept art and photos and other cool ipl shit ive never seen before from said ex-dev so im inclined to believe that this shit is legit. also if its any consolation, patho2 is still steadily selling more copies and the fandoms been noticeably growing again due to a video essay... by hbomberguy (make of that what you will)

I don't mind, let Dybowski do another game already.

Looking 4ward to Franz! Whatever this will be (Kafka/Milena?)

its an experimental mobile game about "toxic relationships". thats really all we know. reza negarestani was on twitter saying hes "supposed to work in the conjunction of the developers of Pathologic", and i think he might be involved with franz to some extent but really we wont fucking know until ice-pick formally announces know by heart + franz at some point in the near future

yeah things are looking pretty fucking bad at the moment and im still not really sure what the hell is going on but im convinced that if ice-pick can survive motherfucking cargo! then theyre more than capable of making it through this shit. just hold on to your fucking butts and wait for more news i guess. keep telling your fucking friends to buy pathologic 2 already for fucks sake

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Wow, Dybowski + Negarestani could be a wild thing. Or a flop.

See, I perceive it that way. Nikolai was 20 when he started to work on first Pathologic. He is 42 now and I can't even imagine how fed up he is with this - still unfinished! - game.

Time and strength to create something are very limited in our already short life. I would prefer to see anything new from Dybowski instead of revisiting old masterpiece.

Come, on, the guy made just 4 games in 20 years. I'm still wondering what Holod would be if that poll went another way.

prengle I love you and I'm more than aware that the news have been dropped before - in fact we discussed it just a few pages ago - but back then it was in much more ambiguous terms, whereas in this interview Dybowski flat out says that he does not consider survival gameplay to be the studio's main strength (the implication being that future scenarios will have less of it) and, crucially "if we can package the same gaming experience in 2 hours instead of 22, we should save our players time and go with the first option."

Yes, its still ambiguous if this is a pure hypothetical or an indication of the kind of cuts we can expect to see for the other scenarios, but either way this is more substantive than the extremely vague "other scenarios will be in a different genre btw" statement we got before so a spike in concern is entirely justified IMO

Interesting leak tho, thanks

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
people get desperate:

If any pathologic dev is on this subreddit, please read this.
renderTimingPixel.png

I know that some of you will not agree with me, as Pathologic 2 is a "finished" product that was already released but...

We all want the Bachelor and Changeling scenarios. And if money is the problem, please, PLEASE, do a second Kickstarter campaign.

Most of the assets are already created, and as developer myself, I know that this is the part that takes time - creating is hard and time consuming, manipulating it is a bit easier. The city is in place. All characters are there, same for the music, etc, etc.

My point is: I'm pretty sure that 99% of the people that completed the game would give Ice-Pick another round in a Kickstarter campaign for the two remaining scenarios to be completed.

I understand that this can be a little...for the lack of a better word...tricky - people will be like HEY USE THE MONEY YOU GOT FROM SALES YOU FUCKS, but we all known that Pathologic 2 is a niche game that was never going to sell millions of copies.

A lot of Youtubers are doing an amazing job at marketing the game for Ice-Pick Lodge, and I'm pretty sure that most people that played the game would love to help fund the remaining campaigns. If any dev is reading this, please, consider doing that (if money is really a problem).

We all want to wear the prickly prick's boots, again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathologic...y_pathologic_dev_is_on_this_subreddit_please/

Vibalist

Arcane
I'd give them some money to see the other scenarios. Path 2 is fucking fantastic.

I'd be surprised if it was a viable option, though.

Starwars

Arcane
It's an interesting but unfortunately fairly crappy game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom