Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Trashos

Arcane

Wonder if Cainarsky watched this and felt ashamed of themselves...

PS: that corporate ending stuff is the dumbest shit I've ever heard as far as RPG narrative conclusion go, bethesda games included. And here I was complaining about how the same thing happening didn't make any sense in the pickle rick ending... seems I haven't seen shit. Guess it would take at least 16 playthroughs to dig all this dumb shit out of this game.

Very interesting video, excellent work. Kudos to whoever made it.

LudensCogitet

Learned

Wooow. I turned the HUD off pretty early in the game. That drug smuggling quest was pretty easy, but I did have to search around a bit. I had no idea they marked the exact location and each pile of crap you have to search. I'm stunned.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

The video is pretty good but he misses the mark in some ways. The game actually does goes into talking about how people are over protective with their preffered brands, the first guy that meet goes about how he cant talk with Auntie Cleos workers neitheir use their products. Also misses the mark about the Space choice, it isn't because they are stupid , its because they're cheap. "You tried the best now try this cheap and flawed choice.." But they dont need to be better , because most people work for , are in debt for them and can only BUY from them.. They don't care because people own their life for the corporations.

Btw he misses the point about the medicine. It isn't because they dumb , it's because there isn't enough medicine for everyone so only people that can work and work better get it.. It even tied to their religion. Also the life time program make sense. They can't sustain their cureent
population, cutting most people , let only the best workers and essentials staff members make sense. Just like the medicine part.

Anyway.. Still a good video.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/113377-the-outer-worlds-soundtrack-is-now-available/

Greetings employees of Halcyon,

We are thrilled to share with all of you that The Outer Worlds soundtrack is currently available to listen to on Amazon Music and is being made available on multiple streaming services over the upcoming weeks! We are so excited to be able to get this out to all of you and hope you enjoy listening to the soundtrack outside of the game.

Soundtrack Locations (will be updated with links as the soundtrack is released on these platforms):
  • Amazon Music
  • Google Play
  • Spotify (coming soon)
  • iTunes/Apple Music (coming soon)
  • Amazon On Demand (coming soon)
  • Deezer (coming soon)
  • iHeartRadio (coming soon)
  • Pandora (coming soon)
  • Napster (coming soon)
  • TikTok (coming soon)
  • Tidal (coming soon)
  • Shazam (coming soon)
  • Gracenote (coming soon)
  • ToucTunes (coming soon)
Thank you, everyone, for your continued support, and we hope you all enjoy listening to The Outer Worlds wherever you are!
Now we would like to allow Justin Bell, Obsidian's studio Audio Director and the composer for The Outer Worlds, to share a message with all of you:

Almost every day since The Outer Worlds' release, I've received messages of appreciation from folks who played the game and enjoyed its soundtrack. Many have wondered where they can listen to it online. Many more have sat on the main menu, volume full blast, unable to start the game because they have been transfixed by the title theme. To all of you who have been moved by TOW's score, I want to say "thank you" from the bottom of my heart. Your support is incredibly meaningful and is a continual source of inspiration for me.

I'm so happy we're finally able to share the soundtrack to The Outer Worlds with you. Thank you for your patience and enjoy your musical journey throughout the Halcyon Colony!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As meh as Bell is, I always approve of the distribution of the soundtrack to anything, especially when it's free.

Parabalus

Arcane
Very disappointing game, quite short (20h for everything) and barely feels like an RPG.

It's more like a Borderlands/STALKER style shooter with weak RPG elements. The character building/system feels more bland than Bethsada stuff, especially due to all checks being super low everyone can do everything.

Coolest part was you can play both sides right up until the very end, usually games put the cutoff a bit earlier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also finished this game the other day. I think it was ultimately...pretty okay! Tonally, it's Obsidian's KOTOR1. You have to have a heart of stone to hate it.

(It's absolutely superior to KOTOR in terms of gameplay and generally superior in terms of quest/area design of course.)

It just doesn't have as much good stuff in it as Fallout: New Vegas. Not as dense with factions and not as impactful thematically. In the Mojave, everywhere you go is a faction. On Monarch, while there is some of that, in general everywhere you go is Marauders. It just can't compare.

Narratively, I thought it was sort of clever in its simplicity how in the end:

While Phineas wants to recover the colonists from the Hope, the Board wants to stuff everybody into the Hope.

also:

While Fallout starts with the premise that the Vault is running out of water, The Outer Worlds ends up being all about running out of food (a recurring motif throughout the game including the backstory of the Hope's crew).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's more like a Borderlands/STALKER style shooter with weak RPG elements. The character building/system feels more bland than Bethsada stuff, especially due to all checks being super low everyone can do everything.

IMO a lot of criticisms of The Outer Worlds are true, but I don't get where this is coming from. I think the people who say stuff like this aren't noticing the breadth of options that many of the game's quests provides, the non-linearity and reactivity it affords.

Those ridiculously low skill checks are only at the beginning of the game and clearly meant to be tutorialization. They become normal later on. In fact I'm pretty sure that there are more 100 skill checks in TOW than in New Vegas because the game can rely on you having companions who can boost you up to that level.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arguably Borderlands have more character development mechanics/classes/impact :P

However the quests' depth, variety and options for quest-solving cannot be compared...

orcinator

Liturgist

IMO a lot of criticisms of The Outer Worlds are true, but I don't get where this is coming from. I think the people who say stuff like this aren't noticing the breadth of options that many of the game's quests provides, the non-linearity and reactivity it affords.

Those ridiculously low skill checks are only at the beginning of the game and clearly meant to be tutorialization, they become normal later on. In fact I'm pretty sure that there are more 100 skill checks in TOW than in New Vegas because the game can rely on you having companions who can boost you up to that level.

A lot of people's issue is that when it comes to gameplay they have some form of standards and aren't satisfied doing endless fetchquests and shooting the same handful of retarded bulletsponges.

Some others heard of a game called Fallout New Vegas and would prefer to play that(likely with mods that add more content, tits or improvements) instead of something trying to recreate all it's flaws.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
A fetch quest in Stellar Bay: https://nightlygamingbinge.com/the-outer-worlds-the-grimm-tomorrow/

Get Grimm’s Tossball Poster

To get the poster, you have several options:

1. You can bribe Velma with bits.

2. If your Intimidate is high enough, you can force her to give it to you.

3. You can choose the Persuade option, and she will want you to finish The Secret People side quest first. Once you finish the quest, return to Velma and show her the item from the quest as proof. Use the Persuade option again, and she will give you the poster.

4. If your Lockpick is high enough, sneak into her office and steal it from her container.

5. Kill her and take the container key from her corpse. Use the key to open the container.

6. Pickpocket the container key off her if your Sneak is high enough. Use the key to open the container.

7. Talk to Nell at Left Field Bar. If your Lie is high enough, you can get her to give up the poster for Grimm.

8. The other option here would be to ask her if she would trade for the poster. She says she only wanted the poster because her shipment of tossball jerseys got lost near Amber Heights. If you find the jerseys, she will let Grimm have the poster. If you choose to look for the jerseys, head out the Stellar Bay Ruins (South) gate and follow the objective south to arrive at a crash site up in the hills near the Amber Heights Crossroads. Take out the marauders camped there then enter one of the storage containers to find the jersey in a bin. Grab it and return to Nell to hand it over. Return to Velma and tell her that Nell no longer needs the poster to receive it.

9. Return to Grimm and tell him that Nell is buying the poster and there is nothing he can do about it (you monster!).

The breadth of options available for this simple task is cool and worthy of our respect. (I like to think the area designer who created it had some free time and decided to show off)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom