Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I won't be playing through the others now, even though I want to, because I can't justify playing something that isn't in German
The German thing is vestigial, I'm asking for more Shadowrun games
If you don't care about "the German thing" then you already have two more (and better) games to play fool
I've already played them in English.........

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's also worth asking what kind of games are actually played in China. I doubt that monumental figure comes from the love of Shadowrun or any games the Codex prefers, besides maybe Wizardry. If I had to guess, I'd say it mostly comes from MMOs and Blizzard's recent abortions like Overwatch and Hearthstone.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
German is only included as a courtesy. Devs are free to ignore the German language, and Germans will just play it in English. Because all continentals understand that they need to speak English these days, it is just the practical reality of their situation. The only exception are those living east of Germany which, assuming we are considering them European, might opt for Russian instead.

Dude, that is some weak-ass trolling. East Germans are not European and might opt to play in Russian??

Yes, most Germans have some degree of fluency in English, but many still prefer to play in their native language, just like all movies and TV shows are dubbed into German.

You clearly have no clue, especially since you call the second largest market for RPG's a “niche“.

Lacrymas

Arcane
He meant the countries east of Germany. That's some weird logic too, since there's only 1 young person I know who speaks Russian, and that's because he studied in Russia for a year or so, while a handful have at least rudimentary knowledge of German. Because surprise, surprise, we choose to learn German as a third language in school (English is basically mandatory) and not Russian. As for preferring to play in your native language, eeehh, a lot of things that don't sound cringe-y in English do in other languages, especially with how edgy some games like to get, so I'm not surprised if they choose to play them in English instead. The English voice actors are also as a rule better and somehow more diverse than what I've heard of the German ones. It feels like every game is voiced by the same 3 actors in German. Only *very* high profile games have memorable voice acting, like Blizzard's.

Anyway, it's definitely, definitely not a "niche market", that's insane. Especially if we count people who also want to learn the language, like me, and I've already suggested that to a guy in my German class and he's playing in German now too. But yeah, the problem is that there's a lack of games set in modern times, so a lot of the vocabulary and the way characters speak to each other try to imitate some old rules, especially for formal speech, but they also don't know when to stop, so people of equal stature who have known each other for months or even years (like in Pathfinder) continue to talk with one another in this kind of artificial formal way that you don't hear ever in real life, while you'd think they'd have converted to informal already.

daveyd

Savant
Fun facts: Shadowrun is apparently very popular in Germany, which is presumably a big part of the reason that Berlin won the backer poll for the second city (which would of course eventually become the setting for SR: Dragonfall).

Translations of SR into German and other languages were KS stretch goals. But the data HBS got from Steam on SRR seemed to indicate the vast majority of their players spoke English so they couldn't justify translating their future games into other languages when it clearly wouldn't result in enough additional sales to even cover the translation costs. It could be that a bunch of non-English speakers pirated it or eventually bought it on a big sale, but of course that doesn't help them pay for professional translations.

Anyway, I also wish HBS (Paradox) would make another SR game but they have apparently been making money with the Battletech stuff. When I last saw them discussing the possibility of making more SR games a few years ago, they said that if they did it they'd want to use a completely new engine (which would of course require a bigger budget and longer development cycle than making another "standalone expansion" for Returns).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Again, do you think that the Spanish or Chinese market for RPG's is bigger than the German? The 100 million German speakers have more spare change to waste on games than Latin America or China. In fact, the German market for RPG's has been always the second largest one, based on revenue. Whether Germany is a vassal state or not is completely irrelevant in this.

You know that the Chinese has, uhhh, 1.3 billion of population right.

And Spanish is probably spoken by most of South America sub-continent?

While certainly RPG as a whole might not be as popular on both, based on population alone, it is more than enough reason to translate to one of these language. Not to mention the fact that Chinese and South American have rather poor English that won't play a text heavy game otherwise, vs German who probably have good enough english.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Again, do you think that the Spanish or Chinese market for RPG's is bigger than the German? The 100 million German speakers have more spare change to waste on games than Latin America or China. In fact, the German market for RPG's has been always the second largest one, based on revenue. Whether Germany is a vassal state or not is completely irrelevant in this.

You know that the Chinese has, uhhh, 1.3 billion of population right.

And Spanish is probably spoken by most of South America sub-continent?

While certainly RPG as a whole might not be as popular on both, based on population alone, it is more than enough reason to translate to one of these language. Not to mention the fact that Chinese and South American have rather poor English that won't play a text heavy game otherwise, vs German who probably have good enough english.

Not to mention the underlying point, which is that Germans speak English and will consume the game regardless in high numbers. Chinese and Hispanic people are less likely to speak English, and their respective languages are not obsolete. Translating games into Chinese and Spanish is a wise practice that adds value and greatly expands the market. Translating into languages like Latin, Ancient Greek, German, etc, is just an academic practice or a fan project.

If you want to do something for the German market, then translate it into Turkish. You'll pick up a bunch of new customers in Germany, and many millions more in other countries with significant non-English speaking populations.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's always amazing to see people trying to justify their personal biases, beliefs and preconceptions, and futilely trying to present them as facts. Truly proves that man is not as rational and logical as we like to pretend.

I mean, Blizzard translating World of Warcraft, an absolutely gigantic MMO with millions of lines of text AND voice, into French and German and Russian and Korean and Portuguese in addition to Spanish and Chinese was probably just a courtesy, with no marketing or financial data to back it up. Right? Or that Zenimax/Bethesda translated Elder Scrolls Online to French and German just like EA/Bioware did with Star Wars: The Old Republic - though curiously not Spanish or Chinese! Maybe it's because most of those 1.3 billion Chinese are NOT playing video games made by Western developers with very few exceptions. Oh hey, Activision translated the latest Call of Duty to pretty much every language in the world, including such "niche languages" as Italian.

Jesus fucking christ what colossally retarded dumb fucks some of you goat fuckers are.

That's even better than another Shadowrun game. Since they're at Paradox now, it's probably a World of Darkness game, right?
Very possible! I have my fingers crossed since it's extremely unlikely that I'd ever get an SR game on the level of detail of JA2.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
If their modding tool (or whatever the proper name is) wasn't such garbage we could have a great pool of fanmade Shadowrun modules now to choose from and wouldn't rely on HBS making a sequel. ... But alas ...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If their modding tool (or whatever the proper name is) wasn't such garbage we could have a great pool of fanmade Shadowrun modules now to choose from and wouldn't rely on HBS making a sequel. ... But alas ...
There are quite a number of mods for SR and HK. I intend to go through them soon.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
There are quite a number of mods for SR and HK. I intend to go through them soon.

You better prepare for disappointment. Last time I tried a couple they all sucked balls. But if you find some you like I'll be open to recommendations.

The few thats good is made by one person. The Caldeot Caper, CalFree in Chains etc is a series of mods for DF and HK. They are structured quite similarly to HBS campaign. I think there are 3 mods? 2 for DF, 1 for HK.

There is one project of people trying to create PnP module for DF (Mercurial I think). The same people recreate DMS on HK with additional dialogue and persistent companions like HK.

I think those are pretty much it.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The few thats good is made by one person. The Caldeot Caper, CalFree in Chains etc is a series of mods for DF and HK. They are structured quite similarly to HBS campaign. I think there 3 mods? 2 for DF, 1 for HK.
Yeah, that's in my queue. I can't be bothered with DF: DC so that's 3 for the original, two for HK.

V_K

Arcane
You also can't really invest in dialogue without gaining combat power as well.
You don't really gain anything combat-wise by pumping only INT and CHA, though. You need the supporting skills.
But you'll need to put those karma points somewhere anyway. If all you ever pump are INT and CHA, you'll end up with a surplus quite soon.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You'll waste quite a lot of points into CHA and INT before you get anything combat-wise though, especially as an elf ;p

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
People are forgetting to mention that there are a bunch of non-CHA/INT stat checks during dialogues in this game (like Strength and Willpower).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom