Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games did you complete in 2019?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (PSX exclusive story mode)
Board Fight (best Balloon Fight hack)
Bulletstorm (34546456th replay)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (arcade)
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (arcade)
Mortal Kombat X (story mode)
Mortal Kombat 11 (story mode)
Street Fighter V (story mode)
Super Mario Land 2
Castlevania 1 (NES)
Phantom Pain
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Strange Journey Redux

Last edited:

Tancred

Learned
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Metro Exodus
Dishonored (replayed)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
The Surge 2
Draugen
Moons of Madness
Conarium
nuHitman
nuHitman 2

Curratum

Amid Evil
Blood Fresh Supply
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
Broken Sword 1
The Curse of Monkey Island
Dishonored 2
Ion Fury
Sekiro

Jinn

Arcane
This year by order of completion:

Insomnia: The Ark [Helot|Sons of Morakh] (PC)
Yakuza 0 [Hard] (PC)
Devil May Cry 3 [Dante|Normal] (PC)
Devil May Cry 5 [Devil Hunter] (PC)
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden [Very Hard] (PC)
Yakuza Kiwami [Hard|SS 53/78] (PC)
Outward [Blue Chamber Collective|Mercenary/Shaman/Warrior Monk] (PC)
Ys II Complete [Nightmare] (PC)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC [Hard] (PC)
Ys IV: Memories of Celceta [Hard] (PC)
Hollow Knight [End I|81%] (PC)
Risen [Mage of the Holy Flame|Hard] (PC) - replay 2
Final Fantasy VII (PC) - replay 2
Ys III: The Oath in Felghana [Normal] (PC)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 [Hard] (PC)
Star Ocean (SNES)
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones [Adult Actor] (PC)
Dishonored [Very Hard|Mid Choas] (PC)
Disco Elysium [2/5/1/4 | Drunk, Drugs] (PC)
Shenmue (PC)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night [Miriam|Hard] (PC)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thronebreaker: The Witcher tales and Disco Elysium were the only games I played from start to finish this year. I'm quite happy with both and can recommend them. Actually I also did a third playthrough of Age of Decadence. I wanted to explore different endings and find things I hadn't discovered in previous playthroughs. Still a lot to play until I've found everything.

I began the year with Battle Brothers and Underrail. In Battle Brothers I reached lvl 12 of my whole band, but I don't know if this is a game you can ever complete. In Underrail I started a new playthgough and I left it somewhere in the middle of the expansion areas. I'll probably get back to it some time next year. In the summer I began my first playthrough of Witcher 1, which I've wanted to do for some time. I reached 30 hours in that, and I'm in Chapter 3. I will finish it at some point next year. I also started a campaign in Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but my videocard burned out before I could finish it. It will have to wait until next year when I upgrade or change my PC. I had a second full playthrough, this time modded, of Witcher 3, which I had stopped but resumed this year. I went through Heart of Stone and had just started Blood and Wine when my videocard burned out.

I have some really nice games lined up for next year, Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk. I'll also give The Outer Worlds a try, if I have the time for it. I really want to go through Sekiro, it seems really stylish.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - started last year, finished early 2019. Very good game, better than I expected. I need to find time for another playthrough with the enhanced edition and DLCs, as neutral or evil character this time.

Pit People - Eh, it's ok, but nothing special. Some parts are better than others, it starts alright, some of the story missions are interesting, but many side quests get repetitive and the end was kinda bad. The humor and style are alright but once you get used to them, it's just background noise. Too shallow in character/party customization for my taste.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - It's good. A lot like the first one, it's basically just the same game with some new stuff and new missions, I haven't played 2&3. A little too easy for most of it, but there are harder missions near the end.

Age of Barbarian and Age of Barbarian: Arena - very low budget, sleazy, often clunky, but you can tell it's a labour of love for the developer, great b-movie primitive-fantasy setting, gameplay is competent enough. Fun games.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Redneck Rampage
Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66
Redneck Rampage Rides Again
I just remembered I also completed the Doom wad - Zombies: Extreme Epidemic Edition

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade
Age of Wonders (Keepers campaign)
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Nox (two of three classes)
Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death
Soldier of Fortune (that is, I didn't complete the last bullshit level, but I already finished it before).
Deus Ex (GMDX)
Diablo 2 (almost; I've got Act V of Hell left for seven characters)

Lots of user made content:
Thief 1 and 2
HoMM 3
Unreal

In 2018 I went from April to September 1999, while in 2019 I went from October 1999 to June 2000 on my chronological play list. So I'm making progress, but Diablo 2 has taken about a quarter of the whole year.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Flipping through my catalog, not much:

Jupiter Hell - Ultraviolence difficulty, early access, 3D DoomRL
Monolith - pretty decent bullet hell game
Blood Bowl 2 - I got a player to Legend if that counts
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - this game sorta became my go to while shitting or taking breaks from work

Mark Richard

Arcane
  • Dungeons 3 - A solid improvement over its predecessor. The AI is no longer comatose, and anyone who had Mouse Trap as a kid will get a kick out of the new overpowered manually-activated traps.
  • ATOM RPG - If you were to tell an American studio and an Eastern European studio to make a game based on the same list of design schematics, the end result might be similar on the surface, but the guts would be different. Deeply-held beliefs and attitudes rooted in culture cannot be replicated by an outsider, which is why ATOM is familiar yet fresh. The absurdly low price and free content updates are icing on the cake.
  • Crusader: No Remorse - Had forgotten all about the Robocop vibe. In my first playthrough in 20 years I was thrown into a corporate dystopia, with workers labouring above rivers of toxic sludge and newscasters offering gift certificates for turning in resistance members. Even the manual and newsletter are amazing. The game itself is an intuitive action-puzzle blend that's surprisingly easy to control on PC, with all the most vital functions available on the mouse.
  • Toonstruck - First time ever, what a treat! Point & click adventure puzzle solving tends to be a nightmare of cartoon logic, but I think half the battle is getting in the right mindset. Here it's easy if you grew up on Warner Bros. The game features several voice actors who're synonymous with animation such as Dan Castellaneta, Jim Cummings, and Tress MacNeille.
  • Rebel Cops - Disappointing. My thoughts are in the Rebel Cops thread in Tactical Gaming. Basically this spinoff game ditches the strongest aspects of the series and offers nothing substantial in return.
  • Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus - A fairly middling turn-based tactics game in terms of the core mechanics. The stellar presentation is likely to leave hardcore 40k fans satisfied.
  • Druidstone - A solid turn-based tactics game. The project switched genres mid-development and ditched the RPG direction, but I liked the end result and feel this deserved more attention than it got.
  • Ash of Gods: Redemption - Reminds me of The Dwarves trying to tell a fantasy epic with a minuscule budget.
  • Steel Rats - A steampunk motorcycle platformer. Too much linear point A to B, needed more tracks that had multiple routes like a Sonic the Hedgehog level.
  • Full Throttle Remastered - Apparently that week I was really hooked on motorcycles.

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
  • HoMM2: Roland Campaign
  • HoMM3: Restoration of Erathia
  • AoW 1/2: Scenarios
  • Icewind Dale
  • Halo/Counterstrike: Lots of Multiplayer w/friends

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
  • Dungeons 3 - A solid improvement over its predecessor. The AI is no longer comatose, and anyone who had Mouse Trap as a kid will get a kick out of the new overpowered manually-activated traps.

Did you ever play the first Dungeons game? It gets a lot of hate but I liked it and couldn't get into 2 or 3 because of the overworld stuff

Mark Richard

Arcane

Did you ever play the first Dungeons game? It gets a lot of hate but I liked it and couldn't get into 2 or 3 because of the overworld stuff
Haven't played the first one. I wasn't keen on the overworld in Dungeons 2 either because my purchase was at least in part a reaction to EA's Dungeon Keeper Mobile, so I was expecting a faithful recreation of the old Dungeon Keeper games. By Dungeons 3 my expectations had changed. Now I'm quite taken with the overworld portion and the punch/counterpunch flow of battle, relishing the moment when my forces are ready to begin their final rampage. The overworld ended up giving the series its own identity and contrasts the drab brown dungeons with bright colourful environments. I think War of the Overworld is supposed to be DK's true spiritual successor, but I've no idea if its any good.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Haven't played the first one. I wasn't keen on the overworld in Dungeons 2 either because my purchase was at least in part a reaction to EA's Dungeon Keeper Mobile, so I was expecting a faithful recreation of the old Dungeon Keeper games. By Dungeons 3 my expectations had changed. Now I'm quite taken with the overworld portion and the punch/counterpunch flow of battle, relishing the moment when my forces are ready to begin their final rampage. The overworld ended up giving the series its own identity and contrasts the drab brown dungeons with bright colourful environments. I think War of the Overworld is supposed to be DK's true spiritual successor, but I've no idea if its any good.

Hmm maybe I'll give Dungeons 3 another shot then, I was mostly turned off by that narrator but I think I can disable him lol.

The first dungeons got really bad reviews because people assumed it was a successor to dungeon keeper but really it's more of a theme park type thing where you try to make adventurers happy in your dungeon, then torture and kill them for evil points. I thought it was pretty fun but people who went in expecting dungeon keeper were seriously disappointed.

hexer

I'm really, really impressed how some of you guys find time to complete all those games

It has a lot to do with not being fatigued by the computer especially if you work on one for a living.
Sometimes I wake up earlier and play a game for a few hours before going to work.
On an average week, I have 40h of gameplay

JDR13

Arcane
I'm really, really impressed how some of you guys find time to complete all those games

It has a lot to do with not being fatigued by the computer especially if you work on one for a living.
Sometimes I wake up earlier and play a game for a few hours before going to work.
On an average week, I have 40h of gameplay

I'm not sure if that's awesome or sad.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Wizardry V
Great game, probably my favorite out of the classic Wizardry games.

Wasteland
I'd tried to play this several times over the years but could never get into it. I gave it another shot a short while ago and it finally just clicked and I ended up finishing it start to finish in just a couple weeks of on and off playing. Steam says it took 25 hours to beat, but that includes some false starts.

Bard's Tale 1 (from Bard's Tale Trilogy)
I didn't like it nearly as much as I liked the Wizardry games, but it was pretty fun. I immediately transferred my party to BT2 and made it pretty far (I think I got the second or third piece of the Destiny Wand), but sort of lost interest. I'd like to finish 2 and 3 in 2020.

Batman: Arkham City
This took me much less time to finish than Arkham Asylum as the formula wore out its welcome and I had zero interest in all the optional stuff. It's basically more of the same but with a much less interesting environment to explore.

Blood: Fresh Supply
Blood, like Doom and Doom 2, is a game that I pretty much play and beat every year. This year was the first time I finished the Fresh Supply version of course. Fine port, and I even went and finished all the included expansions.

Last edited:

hexer

I'm not sure if that's awesome or sad.

:lol:
I know but it sounds worse than it actually is.
A week has 168h. Out of that, I sleep for 56h and work for 40h.
That means after playing games for 40h I still have 32h each week for everything else.

Citizen

Finished:
EYE Divine Cybermancy
Necrovision
World War Zero
Heroine Quest
ATOM
ELEX
King's Bounty: Armoured Princess

Played but didn't finish (dropped halfway thru)
Kingmaker
KOTOR 2 (finished it long time ago, tried to replay)
Souvereignty: Crown of Kings

Sandboxy/strategy games with no completed state:
Kenshi
Age of Wonders 3
Children of Dead Earth
Deity Empires
BIRTHRIGHT GORGON'S ALLIANCE
Conquest of Elysium 4
Dominions 5
Endless Legend
Noita

Last edited by a moderator:

curds

Magister
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Fallout
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Full Throttle Remastered
Arcanum
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Neverwinter Nights
Temple of Elemental Evil
Fallout, again
Doom, plus a couple of WADs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom