Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The bosses have a weird difficulty curve. The ball-and-chain boss, the vampire lady and the fucking chimera kicked my ass so hard. I needed 10+ tries at each of them. But Fake Munichige, the centipede and the water blob were a complete joke, beat them all first try. Charenge rever: Unbaranced!

That said I enjoyed the water mission a lot, especially since I got a fire spear drop right before that. In general the level design is much better than I thought from just watching the game back at launch.

Jinn

Arcane
In general the level design is much better than I thought from just watching the game back at launch.

The level design is great for the most part in Nioh. A lot of the criticism for it came from Souls fans "it's not a seemless interconnected world, so it must be shit! Every game must be Dark Souls!" It's different, but well-presented with the individual stage format.

Suicidal

Arcane
The bosses have a weird difficulty curve. The ball-and-chain boss, the vampire lady and the fucking chimera kicked my ass so hard. I needed 10+ tries at each of them. But Fake Munichige, the centipede and the water blob were a complete joke, beat them all first try. Charenge rever: Unbaranced!

That said I enjoyed the water mission a lot, especially since I got a fire spear drop right before that. In general the level design is much better than I thought from just watching the game back at launch.

I first tried the vampire and killed the chimera in 2 or 3 attempts but died a ton of times on the water boss (mostly cause I kept falling into the water while attacking him). I noticed a lot of people who played this have vastly different opinions on which boss is harder/easier. I guess it depends a lot of builds and play styles.

I think most people will agree that the centipede is very easy (on top of being a boring, shitty boss).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I first tried the vampire and killed the chimera in 2 or 3 attempts but died a ton of times on the water boss (mostly cause I kept falling into the water while attacking him). I noticed a lot of people who played this have vastly different opinions on which boss is harder/easier. I guess it depends a lot of builds and play styles.

I guess the water boss can be hard if you don't lit all the bonfires and you're using a short weapon like a kusarigama or tonfas. With the bonfires lit and a spear (with innate fire) tho he's very easy.

Props for getting the vampire first try tho, I think she's a legit hard boss. The first gid gud check in Nioh. I needed a bunch of tries due to experimentation but once I figured out the right strats I could kill her the next try. Killed her in the twillight mission first try too.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Your post kinda confirms my suspicion that what people, who say Sekiro's combat is better, actually mean is that "it feels good" rather than "it's mechanically superior".
Sekiro, or any of From games, doesn't posses a combat as good as Nioh.

Before I get to the meat of the question let me just say claiming the game to be clunky on kb+m is as valid as playing Doom on a controller and calling the game clunky. Nioh was designed for controller, the PC port was an after thought.

Alrigth, for starter's I can immediately say you didn't get how combat in this game works when you said that figthing in the most boring and safest way possible is a good enough strategy to complete the game. Yeah, no...
The entirity of the game's mechanics are geared for the player to be active rather than passive in it's combat loop. So figthing like you described is in fact the worst and most unpratical way to play the game.

That's where the Stance system comes in.
As you know it changes attack speed+power, stamina consuption+recovery, player mobility and weapon moveset+combos.
Having all these very important properties be a split second decisions makes the combat revolve around constant revaluation - rather than previous knowledge of the enemy/encounter.
Which gets player to gauge more easily what works or not in the moment and alter their approach accondingly.

Stamina management is also much more important in Nioh than any Soulsborne game.
Since the penalty for mismanagement is much more steep, but also because most enemies possess stamina as well. It becomes another key aspect players can, and should, exert influence.
Then there's the Ki Pulse Technique, which keeps you active in what would be down time in DS.
This skill grants the player a refund on lost stamina but, he must time it rigth for the highest reward.
This gives skilled players another thing to play with - as waiting for the best Ki Pulse can puts them in danger - and encourages/aids more inexperienced/defensive players to execute riskier actions.

Regarding the reason why are combos better than what you have in From titles (at most 2 different attack types with almost no distinction between the movesets of all weapons of the same type) is pretty straightforward:
-adds variety and distinctivenes to the weapons, and consquentely the gameplay
-it demands more attention, coordination and mastery from the player;
-helps the player to better influence his oponent;
-increases the challenge and skill ceiling.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Your post kinda confirms my suspicion that what people, who say Sekiro's combat is better, actually mean is that "it feels good" rather than "it's mechanically superior".

If you mean "Nioh combat is way more complex", I have no problem with this. It's obviously true. But it's just as obviously NOT true that moar complex = moar better. Some people might derive pleasure from being able to press a lot of controller buttons in the right order and lightning fast. Others find fun in other aspects of combat like realism, tactical approach, efficiency or spectacle. All are legit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

If you mean "Nioh combat is way more complex", I have no problem with this. It's obviously true. But it's just as obviously NOT true that moar complex = moar better. Some people might derive pleasure from being able to press a lot of controller buttons in the right order and lightning fast. Others find fun in other aspects of combat like realism, tactical approach, efficiency or spectacle. All are legit.

There is nothing else I can add. Thanks.

praetor

Arcane

no From game is more "realistic" in any way, shape, or form. there's like 2-3 games that are somewhat above average in realism when it comes to melee combat, and none are made by either Platinum or From, it's just a different flavor of unrealism

no From game is more "tactical". wtf would that even mean in a 3rd person melee game? that you can trivially stealth kill every mook in the game, rendering them utterly pointless, like in Sekiro? yeah, that sure is "fun"...

you want efficiency (whatever that means... the least button presses lead to most deaths?)? go play God of War

spectacle? yeah... in the cutscenes.

i love the Souls series, and nobody will ever convince me that Nioh is a better overall game than DS1. but the combat in Nioh is so much better and more interesting than what From ever did it's not even funny. it's like DJO said, From's combat feels good, it's so goddamned satisfying (and goddamn does it feel good. no other game can match even the worst in the series when it comes to that), but actually isn't particularly good. hell, if somebody could unclunk Severance's controls & animations, it would still probably be better than Souls

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It looks like my graphic card is shit (GTX 1060) because it cannot keep 60 fps during fights.

I've uninstalled the game and I will revisit it after I've upgraded my card.
I have a 1060 and the game runs fine. You probably have a shit CPU or no RAM.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So two questions, what are the rules for soul matching? My guess is it's not based on the level difference but on how many times you've already soul-matched an item? Like I have matched my badass fire spear once but another round costs over a million gold which is fucking absurd. But if I try to match a newly found spear to the same level it only costs 100k or some such.

Also I remember the game telling me there's reforging but also "temperance" or some such that allows you to pick and choose the ability you want. But now I can't find it anywhere? Do I unlock it later? Also I imagine it's gonna be ungodly expensive too? Oh and how exactly it works? Like if I want to imbue a spear with a fire or earth element do I get to just choose that from a drop-down list or do I have to have manually transfer those form an existing weapon? So it's a good idea to not sell shitty gear with useful affixes?

sullynathan

Arcane
So two questions, what are the rules for soul matching? My guess is it's not based on the level difference but on how many times you've already soul-matched an item? Like I have matched my badass fire spear once but another round costs over a million gold which is fucking absurd. But if I try to match a newly found spear to the same level it only costs 100k or some such.

Also I remember the game telling me there's reforging but also "temperance" or some such that allows you to pick and choose the ability you want. But now I can't find it anywhere? Do I unlock it later? Also I imagine it's gonna be ungodly expensive too? Oh and how exactly it works? Like if I want to imbue a spear with a fire or earth element do I get to just choose that from a drop-down list or do I have to have manually transfer those form an existing weapon? So it's a good idea to not sell shitty gear with useful affixes?
Has to do with levels. It costs far less to match weapons of the same name than matching weapons of different names. Level difference also increases cost but you can reduce cost though the patronage point system.

As Hyperion said you are best to ignore it for now because you'll constantly get better shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It looks like my graphic card is shit (GTX 1060) because it cannot keep 60 fps during fights.

I've uninstalled the game and I will revisit it after I've upgraded my card.
I have a 1060 and the game runs fine. You probably have a shit CPU or no RAM.

Or maybe you have shit-for-brains!?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23172395

56.7% is a reasonable 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can handle the majority of recent games but it will struggle with resolutions greater than 1080p at ultra detail levels. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics)

Let me get this clear:
- I had a 980 Ti, I've played DaS3 at 1440p without issues (constant 60fps),
- 980 Ti went brick, I bought a GTX 1060 as a temporary replacement (it's just shy of -30% in performance vs 980 Ti),
- It cannot keep constant fps in Nioh, I tried DaS3 and it's the same story.

Yeah, I could play at 1080p but that's not the monitor default resolution.

Obviously, the card is good but not good enough for 1440p but hey what the fuck do I know. Nioh fanbois always know better than me.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, keep shitty gear with great affixes - of types that interest you - to transfer.

Deflowerer

Arcane
From what I know, fucking around with gear doesn't even matter on NG that much. Drops are fine, especially from Revenants.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From what I know, fucking around with gear doesn't even matter on NG that much. Drops are fine, especially from Revenants.

Not sure when was the last time you played the game but the current build meta is fucked up. I run a spear build. 90% of Revenants in my game are tryhard odachi users. In the last few hours I've seen maybe 10 spears and only 2 of them purple. Neither of them dropped.

Imma gonna respec a little bit tho. I've been running a pure might build but from various videos I've seen a bit of ninjutsu or onmyo makes the game piss easy in comparison.

There's zero difference between 30 and 35 points in body if you're running a spear build. But the difference between 5 and 10 points in ninjutsu or onmyo is huge. It's almost trivial to cheese the hardest mobs or bosses with chucking bombs, poisons, kunai or elemental shots at them. Plus that ying-yang status effect is absurdly OP.

Deflowerer

Arcane

Not sure when was the last time you played the game but the current build meta is fucked up. I run a spear build. 90% of Revenants in my game are tryhard odachi users. In the last few hours I've seen maybe 10 spears and only 2 of them purple. Neither of them dropped.

Imma gonna respec a little bit tho. I've been running a pure might build but from various videos I've seen a bit of ninjutsu or onmyo makes the game piss easy in comparison.

There's zero difference between 30 and 35 points in body if you're running a spear build. But the difference between 5 and 10 points in ninjutsu or onmyo is huge. It's almost trivial to cheese the hardest mobs or bosses with chucking bombs, poisons, kunai or elemental shots at them. Plus that ying-yang status effect is absurdly OP.

Yeah, I'm playing now. Actually at first I thought the Revenant drops are based on the gear that you are wearing because most of the revenants are decked in purple Warrior of the West set.

Odachi being popular makes sense though, it was the weapon added with DLC.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
most of the revenants are decked in purple Warrior of the West set

Yeah that's another issue. I've been running the WotW set since the start of the game since that's all the Revenants ever drop. I'd really like to try the Red Demon set which has +20% Spearfall buff but literally zero people are using it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well, that elemental discord is very potent, but my experience has been that its difficult to apply without a dedicated build. Well, maybe with more onmyo and faster strikes.... In practice with axes I could never use it.

Oh well, mighty axe strikes kill enemies just fine without such dirty tricks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom