Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

Ysaye

Arbiter
Played Sword World PC for PC98 (1992).

Sword World is a Wapanese D&D knock-off, setting is the continent Alecrast to the north of Lodoss island (the animu Rune Soldier takes place on this continent). The world is called Forcelia. 500 years in the past the world had a Netheril-like highly advanced civilization that fell. Many of the game dungeons are remains of this previous civilization (an important place is the ruin of a once floating city).

9kRSmD0.png

You create your own character (complete with rolling attributes) and gather a party of adventurers.

You go through several “scenarios”, aka sidequests, like dealing with undead/necromancer, finding missing person, taking care of drug dealers, work for thieves’ guild, etc. There’s a big variety in these scenarios, even entire questlines. There are at least 50 scenarios in total. In p. much every town you visit there’s something interesting to do or something interesting happens.

The game does have an overarching story interspersed between different scenarios, it deals with cultists trying to make ancient evil sea god (a giant ray) return. Indeed, the game unfortunately ends after the final of these quests (I didn’t get to do every scenario in the game).

Party members actually comment a lot, give advice, even crack jokes. You definitely grow to like them.

There are no random encounters and experience/gold are only acquired upon finishing a job. It’s a very low level campaign as you can only go up to level 5 in a single class. Then again you do need to multiclass as every class is needed: you need a shaman for at least one sidequest and a sage is needed to decipher ancient languages in dungeons or give information about rarer monsters.

Since it’s “Sword” World magic is p. low-key. Sorcerer spells go up to level 5, divine spells up to level 4. Plus to use certain spells like “summon skeleton warrior” like in the Lodoss animu you need dragon fang item, very rare and expensive.

Leveling up doesn’t automatically raise HP/MP, you need to either buy expensive items from temples or spend experience points separately. Then again it seems that in this tabletop system having more than 20 HP/MP is already an awful lot. And with good attributes/equipment you avoid a lot of damage.

I think the Lodoss games on PC98 with full party creation that I didn’t get to work are similar, i.e. various sidequests with hidden overarching story (or with the animu story as a backdrop).

One of the highlights of the game is probably a dungeon crawl in a dragon temple, with a layout shaped as a dragon. Or a run-off-the-mill monster hunt leading to an ancient laboratory… and a scroll in a hidden room leading to a yuge optional dungeon leading to Excalibur.

Also during an early thieves guild quest the party meets a unique character called Nightshade, it's nice bumping into her again several times after (even at the very end).

P. great game.

oI2D5Dz.gif

RL6FfHc.gif

NDtYsKP.gif

o67bgkx.gif

pX9ttTN.gif

UzZlIOL.gif

12ecWUQ.gif

IaVxwIB.gif

5YWpoyn.gif

dUcKYFO.gif

UtezwYh.gif

Gl6dxKt.gif

yF0GQXQ.gif

x52lnkg.gif

4jScXHk.gif

7pMd0dA.gif

Ykv9OrD.gif

Qf5xGDS.gif

2EIxdxH.gif

vKbXDwM.gif

1PuNjmk.gif

TiOQd50.gif

3A1uiwG.png

mXr9yVK.gif

SumhMdn.gif

bGe0xQy.gif

q0Zcv6T.gif

TU3jcNg.gif

ZzcNcd6.gif

JudjgEx.gif

qvvcOkG.gif

Fn1EUSr.gif

eia3dcg.gif

4lt2nwP.gif

jj4fByF.gif

jRMAIDo.gif

sxbGrjJ.gif

o9FHzGC.gif

5pp8Ao9.gif

c4Fm9jV.gif

dgorcP9.gif

0GM8HsR.gif

Bb1rJiw.gif

vYQLcVy.gif

ydm336X.gif

Fmvxojg.gif

qL9XD7Q.gif

IoDXzPx.gif

PQnrIyx.gif

8Ky2nKL.gif

o02WbuT.gif

lvPl3OT.gif

igQEDOZ.gif

AWvniYr.gif

0FrQexH.gif

6twpBi2.gif

OtL3A87.gif

2nL80UN.gif

pYOyzgb.gif

tXIScRN.gif

fNKWGlI.gif

j7rWx91.gif

21nVtvp.gif

BF5ThwZ.gif

That looks like the Sword World equivalent version of Realms of Arkania or a Gold Box game...does it implement the 1st edition rules or the second edition?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Rezel Cross for PSP.

Okay game I guess. I played this instead of Last Ranker that I lost interest in.

Combat and character development is copy pasted from FFX, characters are okay.

The game is divided in 21 chapters, the characters don’t form a full party until very late in the game. Until then haracters will meet on occasion, work together and part ways.

There are occasionally some stealth/puzzle sections where you need to use the characters’ unique powers to progress.

pVYfofV.gif

Cf7nDCX.gif

EEs59cA.gif

reCgIAa.gif

NNewh8C.gif

F7OiCCh.gif

QpHQC08.gif

5wlZNWk.gif

WYsEPA7.gif

h5qXCc9.gif

EAYH6QS.gif

UmJ1wy5.gif

qBMG27C.gif

k1yWKHW.gif

i4h4llg.gif

LwVUfMx.gif

LpYfI2V.gif

SEkEJEs.gif

kV6jiKv.gif

Ud2mCyW.gif

hrZV22V.gif

E3bTcTn.gif

IA2VEQU.gif

n5gmGo6.gif

vzysa33.gif

z2Q7NVg.gif

kiGopK1.gif

fNYSL7X.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Blue Forest Story by Right Stuff (1996).

Right Stuff is the developer of great games such as Alshark and Libros de Chilam Balam.

There are two main characters and you can choose whom to play with in the beginning (Wallace and Rakjit). The two characters do have an interesting origin and there is the promise of a decent story but the game squanders it all p. quickly.

Combat is similar to Septerra Core or Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits. Combat frequency is very high. Battles look p. cool but the game is mostly devoid of challenge… Wallace has a special attack with an AoE sleep effect that works 90% of the time… and usually there’s a guest character with powerful damage skills.

The game has breakable weapons; in fact weapons break so fast you either need to keep around some spare ones which is a pain in the ass with limited inventory.

The game is very short, I guess you’re supposed to play with both characters to see the complete story (there are also several epilogue scenes to unlock) but since the game is mediocre at best it’s hard to bother. Only the music is above average.

krnZzUl.jpg

l46oua2.jpg

AAmfgu9.jpg

MIuCqxd.jpg

zMyWhmk.jpg

zgEZmoe.jpg

lpdyGyq.jpg

afwaxFp.jpg

yx7q1Bh.jpg

NDvufBm.jpg

X5OzAfP.jpg

Iaexhjf.jpg

jP2Oqpa.jpg

wIFsNA5.jpg

HPEO8UQ.jpg

z87FT4Y.jpg

tZZGDk6.jpg

i3A2rhp.jpg

XUWU5zP.jpg

FRNtV0c.jpg

1isKYlm.jpg

2fEdr7D.jpg

78u6Lsk.jpg

t4l06w8.jpg

PjgN4bn.jpg

kd9hLmh.jpg

fcTJ6PK.jpg

wlxNq0n.jpg

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
abnaxus at some point you need to make a list of the absolutely best untranslated jrpgs so MrRichard999 would get down to business :D
I gotta finish what I got on my backlog first though :P

Still plans to finish up the Lunatic dawn series?

I would need to get serious help with part 3 & 4 if I want to finish it... It has a lot of dialogue unfortunately.

finding a dedicated person to translate these games might be impossibru

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
abnaxus at some point you need to make a list of the absolutely best untranslated jrpgs so MrRichard999 would get down to business :D
I gotta finish what I got on my backlog first though :P

Still plans to finish up the Lunatic dawn series?

I would need to get serious help with part 3 & 4 if I want to finish it... It has a lot of dialogue unfortunately.

finding a dedicated person to translate these games might be impossibru

Unfortunately everyone I know is pretty busy with real life stuff and work... It's how it is at the moment but if anyone knows someone who would be interested I'd start dumping text.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Graphics and animations look pretty neat as well. I take it there never was an English language release of this, right?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Gonna finish Vain Dream 2 anyway, it's a solid game all things considered

Last time Warrick got raped by living armours when he had to go solo because I had missed a shop (the game is extremely gear dependent)

in a way, it fit, the dude's a boring putz, his wife handles all the important conversations and kills most of the enemies while he acts liek meat shield

ykpq2St.gif

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Gonna finish Vain Dream 2 anyway, it's a solid game all things considered

Last time Warrick got raped by living armours when he had to go solo because I had missed a shop (the game is extremely gear dependent)

in a way, it fit, the dude's a boring putz, his wife handles all the important conversations and kills most of the enemies while he acts liek meat shield

ykpq2St.gif
What system is that on? You wouldn't mind PM'ing that to me would you? :)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The game tried everything in its power to prevent me from finishing (even encountered a game breaking bug xDD) but I did it.

Indeed with mithril armour bought from Dwarves (the merchant is easy to miss) the living armours can’t even touch you.

Endgame sucks though, two characters that were with you since the beginning and who killed the bulk of enemies with magic and ranged (melee is always terrible in Glodia games), leave and are replaced by two more melee characters.

There’s another magic character but she does nothing but cast some buffing spells.

This makes the final boss fight longer and more boring than it needed to be. Warrick the Putz mostly applied healing items in that fight.

I give the game a 7/10.

tPHdQxr.gif

NlxDKAp.gif

9R4tPOk.gif

rR6iQnI.gif

KCVDl4J.gif

eiMbsAL.gif

Dqh4kJi.gif

FmkFSzz.gif

TkSWh1B.gif

X8tVG8x.gif

vRxtclb.gif

eipnRKE.gif

OlIOijR.gif

1t3K9B1.gif

1DsXrxK.gif

4s27HXU.gif

9U2O3Xz.gif

aJ9Kf0N.gif

brk3XR0.gif

Sos4wVt.gif

tWXt1hL.gif

LHaC6X8.gif

a1UhIqj.gif

vHB1fX2.gif

lNenJMM.gif

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
abnaxus got to say I'm fairly curious about this: are these games really short or are you spending the entirety of your free time beating them?

peacegamer

Novice
He could earn a lot of money with that level of Japanese language.

My theory is that he is on his retirement age and keep doing this for refreshment.

abnaxus got to say I'm fairly curious about this: are these games really short or are you spending the entirety of your free time beating them?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Hilarious emulation bug in Neko Project when finally I find another rpg game to play.

kJhvx2X.jpg

You save a guy from a dungeon and then an earthquake happens in-game making the screen vibrate.

Neko project apparently can't handle "special effects" as it permanently FUBARs the screen

sFsfxE0.png

VI0T0yf.png

YE9M6Ov.png

4I785bZ.png

So now I need to switch to T-98 Next for a while

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom