Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, that elemental discord is very potent, but my experience has been that its difficult to apply without a dedicated build. Well, maybe with more onmyo and faster strikes.... In practice with axes I could never use it.

Oh well, mighty axe strikes kill enemies just fine without such dirty tricks.

I don't think you gotta run a dedicated Onmyo build, the dude I'm just watching has only 20 Onmyo and applies discord p. fast with talismans and living weapons.

Btw I've tried axes and yeah, they're great against hard-blocking human mobs, but I got tired fast by constantly spamming that heavy attack.

Also I remember the game telling me there's reforging but also "temperance" or some such that allows you to pick and choose the ability you want. But now I can't find it anywhere? Do I unlock it later? Also I imagine it's gonna be ungodly expensive too? Oh and how exactly it works? Like if I want to imbue a spear with a fire or earth element do I get to just choose that from a drop-down list or do I have to have manually transfer those form an existing weapon? So it's a good idea to not sell shitty gear with useful affixes?
Reforging and tempering consist indeed in changing the properties of weapons and armors to create custom gears with the smith.

The reforge is a random change of effects and involves a lot of RNG, temperance allows to pick the best effects in some lists with still a bit of randomness, but far less than for a reforge. The latter requires ingredients that can be obtained as rewards for missions (Twilight missions notably, once a day) or during coops as a Visitor to help the other players for example.

Some effects only available on specific armor pieces can otherwise be transfered via soul match on the other parts, and it is so possible to achieve crazy stuffs like getting immunity to elemental damages when blocking, auto-healing with various triggers, or insane movement speed. Tempering and soul matching are two of the best things in this game, but they require unfortunately a lot of grind and play time.

Hyperion

Arcane
90% of Revenants in my game are tryhard odachi users.
That just means they're shitty Odachi users because they keep dying and leaving Revenants behind. :positive:

I'd really like to try the Red Demon set which has +20% Spearfall buff
Alas, the PC version came out about a year after the ps4 version where people already knew what was and wasn't good, and heavy armor is as good, if not better than, heavy armor in Dark Souls. Red Demon armor is light so you won't be seeing nearly as much of it, but it'll still drop in mass quantities once you complete the side mission of the duel against the guy who wears it. He himself drops it in droves, along with the (VERY RARELY on WotSa) Smithing Text to make it yourself.

There's zero difference between 30 and 35 points in body if you're running a spear build.
30 is the softcap for most stats. Going beyond that on the first difficulty only matters for Stamina so you can get your equip weight as high as possible if you're a heavy armor user. 20 Dex / Magic is required to unlock the final ninjutsu and onmyo dojo missions which is why you see so many people with that number. If you really want to minmax, you can respec after completing said missions and putting those points elsewhere - you keep the benefits of the dojo missions without needing the stats anymore.

Well, that elemental discord is very potent, but my experience has been that its difficult to apply without a dedicated build
I stopped playing at the end of WotD because I was just spending too much goddamn time playing and had other stuff I needed to get through, but the DLC Dual Katanas with Fire and Lightning both on them did a great job of applying Discord, even if most stuff did die shortly after.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think I heard Sloth was nerfed? What kind of nerf was it? Coz I'm just blowing through the endgame bosses (Honda, ninja chick and the two battlefield mission bosses) with this spell. I even did the lightning spear general dude without Sloth just to have some fun and it was still easy-ish with the Lifeseal talismans and my final blow/merciless barrage build.

I decided I only use Sloth when I'm stuck at a boss for like an hour.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Main game finished, it was a fucking blast. From mid-game on I had almost no difficulty with the bosses, most went down first or second try, maybe except the Ogress who needed maybe 6 or 7. There's still the DLC which is supposed to be much harder so we'll see. Not sure imma do NG pluses right now, so I don't get burned out.

Too bad I'll have to wait like two more years for a PC Nioh 2, altho I may buy a PS5 when it comes out.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nioh was like the first and only game I did New Game+ (Way of the Strong). It helps that you have a lot of access from the start and can skip a lot of content.
I quit during NG++ (way of the Demon). Maybe a pity, as it includes cool enemy upgrades. But I decided I don't have that much time to spend... and will never grind end-game content anyway.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw for those missions where you fight two tryhard bosses at once, do ya'll leave them for when you're at the end of NG+? Coz doing them right after the NG ends seems a bit too autistic.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, NG+ and DLC kinda have similar difficulty, so by the time you finish DLC, your halfway trough NG+ progression.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm wondering, has anyone here done the endgame grind? I'm not the looter-grinder type so it's not for me but I've checked a few videos of later NG pluses and the Abyss and it looks p. involved and in-depth.

kelkorkesis

Novice
I'm wondering, has anyone here done the endgame grind? I'm not the looter-grinder type so it's not for me but I've checked a few videos of later NG pluses and the Abyss and it looks p. involved and in-depth.

Sort of. I did first 100 level of abyss then edited my save to skip to 900, then I finished abyss. Final level has the most cancer fight in the game. But I like gear autism and enjoyed tuning my gear very much. Also game has beautiful weapon and armour models so I changed my visual every now end then.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Sort of. I did first 100 level of abyss then edited my save to skip to 900, then I finished abyss.

There 900 Abyss levels? Jesus.

Did you always just sprint to the boss, with no shits given about the debuffs or did you do all the planes properly?

kelkorkesis

Novice
There are 999 levels. I cleared first 100 and last 100.

Did you always just sprint to the boss, with no shits given about the debuffs or did you do all the planes properly?
I started with just rushing but there were some buffs simply too much to deal with. I didn't use a living weapon build so I had to fight actually. I remember if you full all 4 planes, next level you only have to clear one plane so for last 100 levels I alternated between boss clears and planes. I wouldn't bother with such grinds but I liked gameplay very much and abyss levels were just an excuse to play.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wouldn't bother with such grinds but I liked gameplay very much and abyss levels were just an excuse to play.

Yeah I loved the gameplay too. The endgame is way too much for me but I like the idea of the Abyss and I do like to grind a bit in looter games. I wish the Abyss was integrated in a much smaller scale into lower difficulties too. Like, you'd have to grind a little bit in the Abyss if you wanted to reasonably progress in the main story on Strong and maybe even on Samurai. Still, I had a blast even with the normal diff.

The Abyss starts well, with a progressive curve of difficulty, but then quickly turns into an endless copy & paste of planes and bosses, that even Todd Howard would be ashamed of. There are some interesting, hard gauntlets and boss fights though, like Sanada + one NPC 3 times, Mitsunari + one NPC 3 times too, the Axis of Evil (Hundred Eyes + Kelley) at Floor 666 … The only other things notable beside would be Bows dropped with an Infinite Ammo effect, so rare that i never found one.

I did it from start to finish, clearing most of the planes with the Tiger-running/Suppa/Quick-change scrolls, Tatenashi set as base with a turn-over of Abyss Graces, Oni-sakon and Lunar something Spears, Kato as main GS, a few Onmyo spells. And the Living Weapon assurely, because it was accelerating a lot of boss fights, and making the hardest easier or even doable for me, especially the last one.

Sort of. I did first 100 level of abyss then edited my save to skip to 900, then I finished abyss. Final level has the most cancer fight in the game. But I like gear autism and enjoyed tuning my gear very much. Also game has beautiful weapon and armour models so I changed my visual every now end then.

What stuff did you use ?

kelkorkesis

Novice
What stuff did you use ?
I switched between 1kat, 2kat and odachi. My armour was mixture of General of Kigetsu, Grace of Izanagi and Master Swordman set. I had a Futsunushi set also but that shoehorns you iai quickdraw too hard. If you can get three different "Close Combat Damage" bonuses from your gear your set becomes skill neutral and you can focus whatever skill you want with skill damage bonus from your weapon. I swapped between Kara Jishi and Kato. I liked iai strikes in this game so much. It was like Kenshin simulator.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just out of curiosity I started the DLC, on level 115 or so. I kindda muddled through the first level but the first boss is something else. I do barely any damage to him and he two-shots me.

He's an interesting boss tho, unlike most of previous Nioh bosses who typically slide around the arena like on rocket skates he's the flailing type. But I'm guessing I'll have to pick up at least 50 more levels to be marginally comfortable in those DLCs and that'll have to wait, I don't wanna go through the same content again so soon.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Gear is more important. Usually you'd want the gear level to be around the ballpark of the mission level. Just do a few Way of the Strong missions, get some green high level loot and you should be set.

I am also in the same spot right now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gear is more important. Usually you'd want the gear level to be around the ballpark of the mission level. Just do a few Way of the Strong missions, get some green high level loot and you should be set.

I figured that too but the mobs and bosses seem to be much harder in general. They were either slow yokai who could be easily confused or humans who could be ran out of ki and backstabbed. With the first DLC boss the old strats don't really work. Sloth falls off super fast off him and he's very hard to confuse. You actually have to put up an honest fight lol.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Main game finished, it was a fucking blast. From mid-game on I had almost no difficulty with the bosses, most went down first or second try, maybe except the Ogress who needed maybe 6 or 7. There's still the DLC which is supposed to be much harder so we'll see. Not sure imma do NG pluses right now, so I don't get burned out.

Too bad I'll have to wait like two more years for a PC Nioh 2, altho I may buy a PS5 when it comes out.
Final level and boss were painful for me. Same shit as with umibozu - if i can fall down - i must fall.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Date Masamune is such a fun fight. Plus after 50 hours of gameplay or so, I've finally got the moveset down well enough that I vary my stances and moves pretty extensively even when I'm relatively close to the enemy.

At this rate I'm gonna go all hard on this shit until Abyss 999 BABY.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom