Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You play as a Suzerain. A powerful being gifted with immortality. Either as a dragon, lich, demigod, vampire or powerful wizard, you seek to fulfill your ambitions and eventually become a Living God - the supreme ruler of this land
Can I play as barbarian? And does the suzerain get to take part in combat?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Hey ERYFKRAD,

1. No plans for barbarians at this time, sorry. The most important characteristic that defines a Suzerain is his immortality, which in turn allows him time to learn magic. You'll be able, however, to lead barbarian inspired nations.
2. Yup, although some Suzerains are better at combat than others. Take a dragon for example, who's going to be a killing machine and able to solo early armies, but won't regenerate stamina like a normal unit. Instead, he'll have to go into hibernation, becoming very vulnerable and having to rely on standard units for protection. Also, the less stamina he has, the longer his nap will be, so it's going to be a tradeoff you might want to consider.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No plans for barbarians at this time, sorry. The most important characteristic that defines a Suzerain is his immortality, which in turn allows him time to learn magic. You'll be able, however, to lead barbarian inspired nations.
I can avoid magic if I want to yes?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Made a teaser for my next upcoming release.

The shaking wireframe is a bit distracting/annoying though, maybe fade out the vertices as they approach the screen center so they are visible near the edges but not visible in front of you?
It's a shield effect and it's much less annoying/distracting in the game itself. :smug:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone here NOT have flash player installed on their computer? Can you let me know what happens when you run this executable? (Windows users only)

https://tavernking.itch.io/test-project?secret=eHLuH58iQYohlFY9pfwyVXUO8

It doesn't download, when i click the Download button it shows a popup saying "invalid game".

FWIW an easy (though a bit time and disk space consuming) way to check compatibility with "fresh" Windows is to download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft (use Firefox with the User-Agent Switcher addon to pretend you are using Linux or Mac, otherwise you'll get a downloader instead of the real ISO) and install it in a VirtualBox VM.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Does anyone here NOT have flash player installed on their computer? Can you let me know what happens when you run this executable? (Windows users only)

https://tavernking.itch.io/test-project?secret=eHLuH58iQYohlFY9pfwyVXUO8

It doesn't download, when i click the Download button it shows a popup saying "invalid game".

FWIW an easy (though a bit time and disk space consuming) way to check compatibility with "fresh" Windows is to download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft (use Firefox with the User-Agent Switcher addon to pretend you are using Linux or Mac, otherwise you'll get a downloader instead of the real ISO) and install it in a VirtualBox VM.

Can you retry the download please? Apparently that's a problem for files that have recently been uploaded to itch.io. I just tried to download it and it works now

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Once in a while I have to go work on something different so I don't bore myself to death. I figured my armor break ability could use a new effect, so I made this. It was my first time using shatter in After Effects.

ShieldBreak.gif

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I can avoid magic if I want to yes?

Sure man, just as you can avoid magic in Master of Magic, but why would you (sounds like a good idea for an achievement though) :P ? I can see where you're going with this. Don't worry, you'll be able to mod the hell out of this game. Everything I have so far is data-driven, loaded from json files. You'll also be able to create new mechanics by writing your own rules in C#. So yeah, you'll be able to add a barbarian type Suzerain with no access to spells in his progress tree, instead relying on combat abilities, unlockable units and so on.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you retry the download please? Apparently that's a problem for files that have recently been uploaded to itch.io. I just tried to download it and it works now

Still says "invalid game". I also tried from within the VM and still said "invalid game".

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

Still says "invalid game". I also tried from within the VM and still said "invalid game".

Alright, I've just published it so it's no longer a secret draft project. It works now even when I'm logged out (which would previously give "invalid game")

So it should work now. If it doesn't, I'll send itch.io an email.

https://tavernking.itch.io/test-project

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

I spent some time yesterday writing a simple Christmas themed retro game for IBM PC. I didn't manage to finish it as i added a tiny bit of more features than originally planned and the level design became a bit too much for the "wing it as you go" approach i used. Since it is kinda topical (and after spending a few hours on it i was tired, bored and wanted to play some games :-P) i abandoned it. I might pick it up again in the future, though unless that future is "next year" it wont be that topical anymore.

The idea was simple: Santa (of course) manages to lose all of his presents while flying over a small forest village, so now you have to pick them up and put them in the socks in each house. The idea would remain simple (and doable in a single afternoon) if i resisted the urge to add keys to unlock doors in the houses that you had to carry around across different houses to open some doors, then added some enemies (dogs) to make your life more miserable and a means to neutralize these enemies (treats/bones) that you also had to carry around across houses. With a persistent 16 screen (15 houses and one overworld) world, this wasn't something doable in an afternoon and without any sort of planning (like what "resources" each house provides and needs - and also taking into account dog placement so they wont maul your face if you need to visit a house more than once), it wasn't something doable at all.

Feature creep, not even hobby one off games are safe from it :-P

Well, the video above shows what i did until that point (sprite editor, map editor and game itself) as well as my naive bruteforced level design. I tried to play the game (starts around 3:40) but eventually ran out of keys. I deleted one key in the overworld which i had for debugging (but forgot when i deleted that as you weren't supposed to be able to find resources in the overworld) when i was showing the map, but even with that i'd get stuck a couple of houses later anyway.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
So, planning to make a "Das/Der/Die Geister" series?
I have enough ideas to make a few more games in Der Geist setting, and DGT provides a very solid foundation for bigger and more complex scenarios.

That said, I'd like to try something different to avoid typecasting and going down the Call of Duty path, and I happen to have quite a few ideas on that front as well. :positive:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have been working on a new project and would like to announce it. I don't have anything playable yet, so I am holding off making a thread for the time being. It is being made in ORK Framework for Unity and I plan to use the same people as I did for the assets in Theseus.

Siege of Plataea

What is this game?

The Siege of Plataea is a CRPG set in Greece during the early stages of the Peloponnesian War. The goal is to have real-time exploration and turn-based combat. Party mechanics will also be included. It is extremely important to me that the game be faithful to the primary source material and bring the old texts to life with meaningful C&C. It would be better that this game not exist at all than that it make a mockery of the period.

What happened at Plataea? Why set the game there?

Plataea is a town in Boeotia, which is the region immediately north/north-west of Attica (Athens). As the Peloponnesian War was starting to break out, Thebes (the most powerful city in Boeotia) conducted a surprise raid on Plataea and seized the town.

Despite initially submitting, the Plataeans soon organised secretly by digging holes through the walls of their houses and gathering together. They then launched a night-time counter-attack against the occupying force. The urban warfare ended with almost every Theban dead or captured.

Putting aside the political/diplomatic details, the captured Thebans were ultimately executed en masse. When general war broke out shortly afterwards, Plataea found itself in a very bad position - it was a land-locked Athenian ally stuck in Boeotia, and Thebes was a major Spartan ally. Sparta initially offered Plataea terms of neutrality, but Plataea refused and was placed under siege. Before the siege began, however, Plataea evacuated most non-combatants, and admitted a force that was sent from Athens.

The siege itself was a prolonged affair. Sparta and her allies ultimately enclosed the town within a double-wall fortification (like we later see at Syracuse and with Julius Caesar at Alesia). A large number of battles took place, and ultimately Plataea was starved out and surrendered. Those Plataeans who had not previously escaped were executed following a brief trial. The town was essentially destroyed and the region used for other purposes, while many of the surviving Plataeans found a new home at Athens.

This is the perfect setting for a number of reasons. First, although the Peloponnesian War is a popular and rich subject, there are only a handful of games with this setting. Second, a prolonged siege provides plenty of opportunity for combat and intrigue. Further, because Plataea admitted a force from Athens, and the besieging force itself was from a number of different cities, I have freedom to include a very broad cast of characters. On a practical level, staging a game during a siege means that I can cut down on the number of locations, too. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for me to allow the player to explore the entire Hellenic world during this period. However, a siege is narrow enough that I can provide a great deal of detail without getting burnt out or over budget and turning the project into vapourware.

What makes this game special?

- As with Theseus: Journey to Athens, this game will be strongly rooted in the primary source material. The theme is more than skin-deep; this game should make you want to pick the classics up again and reread them. To improve on Theseus, this game should include tool-tips or some other method of easily providing citations and other helpful information.

- Strong Choice & Consequence gameplay. As seen in Theseus, the player's decisions will have an impact on how the story progresses. A protracted siege provides a number of opportunities for player input. From day-to-day decisions of how to conduct raids on enemy siegeworks, to greater decisions such as whether to enter a conspiracy to surrender the town.

- Unique character development/skills system. "Magic" and other abilities will be rooted in pre-socratic philosophy, poetry, and religion. You could be a fighter whose constitution is buffed by learning a few lines of Tyrtaeus, or a more intellectual sort who gains some power over the elements by studying Empedokles.

- Fresh turn-based combat scenarios that strongly reflect the siege theme. A long siege provides all sorts of combat possibilities. For example, the player might find himself engaging in tunnel warfare as the enemy attempts to undermine the town wall. Or you can join an ad hoc fire brigade and try to stop the enemy from burning the town to ash.

Progress -

This game is still in the planning and early development stage. I do not have a working demo to share with you, or sufficient assets or code to make a meaningful video. I would still like to share something, though, so here is an example of a character that I am currently working on:

Eurymachus, Son of Leontiades

ENJg3ADWoAsgQ7z

I would like to point out a few things:

- The game will record the ethnicity and polis of each character. Almost all characters will be Hellenes, of which there are four main ethnic groups - Dorian, Ionian, Aeolian, and Achaean.

The ethnicity of the character is important in this game because it was important to the ancient Hellenes. The differences between the ethnicities or races are frequently referenced in classical texts and must therefore have certain in-game consequences. I plan to use tooltips or some other manner of explaining terms like "Boeotarch" to the player. That way the text can be cleaner while still providing a wealth of definitions and background information.

- The portrait was produced by the same artist who worked on Theseus. This style is not set in stone; the artist was also working on making the portrait appear to be an old, faded fresco. I hope to use the same artist to produce all the assets for this game, too.

Finally, Theseus is still on sale for half price (sale ends 1/2/20). Depending how this new project goes and how much I like working with ORK Framework, I might try converting Theseus to the new engine (as a new product, because I would need to pay for a whole new set of 3d assets). I think that would be a big and worthwhile improvement. At any rate, I will continue to patch the current version and include more content/C&C as time progresses.

Happy New Year

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom