Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

“They pulled through, somehow.”

I mean, I guess? If you call just releasing your pre-alpha once the funding dries up “pulling through”.

ADL

Prophet
RIP System Shock 3
So what was Warren's dynamic with OtherSide? Isn't he still teaching game design at the university as his day job?

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
I'm really not phased in the slightest there will be no SS3, it would have been a load of shit, sometimes its best to leave things as they were (with the old Shocks) rather than descent into mediocrity or worse as they did with UA.

Please don't get me wrong. If they had done a good job of UA then I'd be all over this drooling with excitement and anticipation, but not after what's happened, the banning of true fans from the series on official forum as we complained when we saw the change of direction/lies and their support of silly fan boys idea's of parkour and wall running arcade crap ... some who proudly claim they still have not bought the game but invested heavily in post counts there grovelling to the devs, also ... the lies and U turns that went on ... just totally unforgivable.

Don't forget folks, one dev claimed over a year ago that SS3 was more than half way finished, clearly lying is second nature to these people, it would have been another disaster, have no doubt about that.

If they had got away with this they might have tried to do a Thief game ... Thief 4 was bad enough but still a better game than UA was, that would have made it a hat trick of rubbish for these *has been* clowns, three franchises ruined ... you have to wonder if deliberate malicious sabotage/vandalism was going on somewhere for some crazy reason best known to themselves.

Whatever talent was there has long since evaporated, it really is better to bow out at the top than as I say ... descent into mediocrity and worse.

I hope they never work in the industry again.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
There's no need for a Shock 3 or another nuThief monstrosity. We have Prey and Dishonored respectively, and countless FMs.
Honestly, I'd play Shock 3 made by 90's versions of Doug Church, Sheldon Pacotti, Warren Spector, Robb Waters and Tim Stellmach. But not Shock 3 made by senile has-beens and young soy-for-blood hipsters.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
I am wondering, once Otherside has gone under, if anyone is going to buy the SS3 IP and the stuff they created so far in order to finish the project.

Starbreeze could do it and go ahead with a different team to avoid having spent $7 million for nothing. Or Stephen Kick perhaps?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
There is nothing to buy.
? Did you see this post at the top of the page?

In spite of the technical difficulties with the engine, the staff at Unity were incredibly supportive and helpful. Some of the AAA improvements to Unity in the last couple years were born from the work they did with us.
Our milestone demos looked great.
We touched on some truly innovative game systems that I unfortunately can't talk about. We shed sweat and blood to get them working, but it started to come together.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I am wondering, once Otherside has gone under, if anyone is going to buy the SS3 IP and the stuff they created so far in order to finish the project.

Starbreeze could do it and go ahead with a different team to avoid having spent $7 million for nothing. Or Stephen Kick perhaps?

codex fundraise campaign

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Nightdive Studios (Stephen Kick) already owns the System Shock IP. My understanding was that OtherSide somehow acquired the license to develop a sequel at some point.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
There are few good things that happened in my life, that I recall fondly. They were Ultima Underworld, System Shock and Thief. Oh wait, there was another one that is coming to my mind... Fallout.

:imokay:

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
The day Starbreeze sold the publishing rights back, Stephen Kick tweeted this:

Once OS is dead, I could imagine Nightdive and Starbreeze buying everything OS has so far (designs, concepts, story etc.) and teaming up to finish the game (or a less ambitious version of it) with a new team. Otherwise Starbreeze's $7 million are just gone.

But that can only happen once OS is out of business. No one is going to give a single penny to those people at OS who lied to LITERALLY EVERYONE (investors, backers, customers, employees) and whose incompetence was obvious in the case of Underworld Ascendant.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
By the way, is there around an Ultima Underworld Enhanced, as there is a System Shock Enhanced?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom