Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Sentinel

Arcane
By "combat art" I meant the active abilities you have to manually, mechanically pull off by holding L1 followed by R1. This is consistent with how they're called in game.

The anti-air deathblow skill is, as the name suggests, a skill, available in the "Acquire skills" menu, and is not a combat art, which has a separate menu.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Not impressed with this so far chaps. Combat feels way more digital than the Souls games or Nioh, and it really lacks the demonic edge which both those games have too.

It's also too easy to stealth the game so far, and the actual bosses seem to go down easier to button bashing because of the lack of a stamina gauge, than they do considered tactics.

Only a few hours in (killed the first general now in that dream area), but it's got some catching up to do.
you haven't even fought a boss yet retard, that was the stealth tutorial and the introduction to minibosses

Still too much stealth & what are essentially mini-quick time events for my liking so far.

Just wasted that Shinobi Hunter & that was the same. Jump around from high platform to high platform, do stealth kills, activate counterattack which kills boss for you.

It's really railroaded and lacking genuine interactions so far. Early days yet though. Will persist. Just Nioh & DS blew mysocks off early doors. This seems like Metal Gear Dark Souls

Child of Malkav

Erudite
In Dork Souls I-frames get you through anything. So hard.
In Sekiro, you have to deflect, jump the sweeps, mikiri the thrusts or dodge the grabs.
Complaining about stealth in a game with ninjas. What in the actual fuck? Stealth is easy mode in pretty much every game unless it's a stealth game. It's just one more option.
Or complaining that you have to press the 1 button to do a deathblow at the end of each boss fight in order to finish the boss, in a cool way, as a small reward for defeating it. Only one as you could possibly bitch about this. It's filled with QTEs I tell you.
Come up with actual arguments or stop playing this game. It's clear you detest it, you and the other retards that scream "this is not Dork Souls". God I'm so happy it won GOTY (because it's a legendary game) or if for no other reason than just to piss you off.
Before the game came out, if you read the interviews you would have known what kind of game this is and what you were getting into but no, why would you.
Don't worry though, Elden Ring is going to be Dork Souls 4 where you'll go back to rolling and I framing the bosses to death, while wielding a huge ass sword, hiding behind a high stability shield and having NPCs and other fags around you fighting the boss for you while cheerleading them and thinking "gee, that fight was tough. Better chug."

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Not impressed with this so far chaps. Combat feels way more digital than the Souls games or Nioh, and it really lacks the demonic edge which both those games have too.

It's also too easy to stealth the game so far, and the actual bosses seem to go down easier to button bashing because of the lack of a stamina gauge, than they do considered tactics.

Only a few hours in (killed the first general now in that dream area), but it's got some catching up to do.
you haven't even fought a boss yet retard, that was the stealth tutorial and the introduction to minibosses

Still too much stealth & what are essentially mini-quick time events for my liking so far.

Just wasted that Shinobi Hunter & that was the same. Jump around from high platform to high platform, do stealth kills, activate counterattack which kills boss for you.

It's really railroaded and lacking genuine interactions so far. Early days yet though. Will persist. Just Nioh & DS blew mysocks off early doors. This seems like Metal Gear Dark Souls
You can't stealth attack bosses. You still haven't fought a boss yet and you think you're 2/3 into the game :lol:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
serveimage-1.gif

Falksi

Arcane
In Dork Souls I-frames get you through anything. So hard.
In Sekiro, you have to deflect, jump the sweeps, mikiri the thrusts or dodge the grabs.
Complaining about stealth in a game with ninjas. What in the actual fuck? Stealth is easy mode in pretty much every game unless it's a stealth game. It's just one more option.
Or complaining that you have to press the 1 button to do a deathblow at the end of each boss fight in order to finish the boss, in a cool way, as a small reward for defeating it. Only one as you could possibly bitch about this. It's filled with QTEs I tell you.
Come up with actual arguments or stop playing this game. It's clear you detest it, you and the other retards that scream "this is not Dork Souls". God I'm so happy it won GOTY (because it's a legendary game) or if for no other reason than just to piss you off.
Before the game came out, if you read the interviews you would have known what kind of game this is and what you were getting into but no, why would you.
Don't worry though, Elden Ring is going to be Dork Souls 4 where you'll go back to rolling and I framing the bosses to death, while wielding a huge ass sword, hiding behind a high stability shield and having NPCs and other fags around you fighting the boss for you while cheerleading them and thinking "gee, that fight was tough. Better chug."

You have to do all that, but it's all so railroaded and predictable. It's got that Guitar Hero feel to it of "press the right buttons at the right time to win". There's far less unpredictability in it than other games of it's ilk.

Stealthing becomes the preferred option simply because it's quicker. Fighting is just as predictable & easy, it just takes longer.

Nioh had it's flaws & got on my nerves after a while, but it's 10x the game this is. The lack of genuinely demonic vibe is a big miss too.

GOTY though? Shit it must be good! Skyrim got that!

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You have to do all that, but it's all so railroaded and predictable. It's got that Guitar Hero feel to it of "press the right buttons at the right time to win". There's far less unpredictability in it than other games of it's ilk.

Stealthing becomes the preferred option simply because it's quicker. Fighting is just as predictable & easy, it just takes longer.

Nioh had it's flaws & got on my nerves after a while, but it's 10x the game this is. The lack of genuinely demonic vibe is a big miss too.

Stealthing is not faster, grappling around from point to point is, you're basically flying, if you want to speedrun.
"Press the right button at the right time to win"? Hm, sounds like Dork Souls. 1 vs 4, but I get what you mean about that vibe, but doing this during boss fights feels good and deserved. The game demands that you learn it. It's a wall and it's not going away until you break it. No coop, no magic, no summonable NPCs.
Fighting is easy if you learn the combat system and eventually master it. A lot of people didn't find this game easy when it launched as I'm sure you remember the bitch fits.
About GOTY award, this one time they got it right.
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, are you a game journalist?

Falksi

Arcane

Stealthing is not faster, grappling around from point to point is, you're basically flying, if you want to speedrun.
"Press the right button at the right time to win"? Hm, sounds like Dork Souls. 1 vs 4, but I get what you mean about that vibe, but doing this during boss fights feels good and deserved. The game demands that you learn it. It's a wall and it's not going away until you break it. No coop, no magic, no summonable NPCs.
Fighting is easy if you learn the combat system and eventually master it. A lot of people didn't find this game easy when it launched as I'm sure you remember the bitch fits.
About GOTY award, this one time they got it right.
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, are you a game journalist?

Nah, I'm dyslexic & have to write how I think/speak, so I'm probably too overqualified to be one.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
RE 2 isn't horror? I don't play those games so I don't know. Pathologic 2 I've been meaning to play but never found the time. Seems interesting.
As for action Sekiro probably isn't (as I rarely play action games), but the overall package is very good. What other action games were nominated in this category?

Momock

Augur
Pathologic 2 is boring as hell. A litteral walking/hobo simulator. RE2 was truly GOTY material though, despite the half assed zapping system. As for action I guess that Devil May Cry V has the best combat? But only that, the levels are shit.

Sooo...yeah. That's that. Heaven's Vault was quite good and fresh too, but GOTY? Meh, it's barely a game. Baba Is You is very original with an unique idea that doesn't lose it's novelty during the game, but it's a puzzle game, I guess it's too niche. Ion Fury was very good but unoriginal and poorly optmized. Disco Elysium, despite the cool protagonist and writing, happened to be a fake RPG with no C&C. Dicey Dungeon was cool and fun, but I don't see anybody touching it again once all the missions are completed.

So in the end it's a RE2 versus Sekiro for GOTY in my opinion. I like them both equaly but RE2 bings back "true" survival horror (not hiding into closets shit) while Sekiro "just" continues a popular trend, so I'll give it to RE2 in the end.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Pathologic 2 is boring as hell. A litteral walking/hobo simulator.

The mechanics are all in service of the intended experience, and for that they are near flawless. Throw in some spectacular world building, artsyle, music, quest design and writing. And the end result is an extremely unique game.

As for action I guess that Devil May Cry V has the best combat? But only that, the levels are shit.

And better enemy design and bosses.
For these types of action games level design doesn't need to be anything to write home about. Cool visuals, locations and setpieces are enough. I do wish they had explored better the concepts they came up with, but they didn't do a horrible job either.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
By "combat art" I meant the active abilities you have to manually, mechanically pull off by holding L1 followed by R1. This is consistent with how they're called in game.

The anti-air deathblow skill is, as the name suggests, a skill, available in the "Acquire skills" menu, and is not a combat art, which has a separate menu.

The issue was never about how you purchase that skill.

The issue was that you did not know that you need anti-air deathblow to kill Shichimen in mid-air.

so that's why I executed an anti-air deathblow when performing it at roughly the same time as those hat monks jumping up in the air
you can insta kill the monks (and the headless shaman dude) the moment they jump just by jumping yourself. you dont need that move.

You need that skill. That's the whole point.

Sentinel

Arcane

The issue was never about how you purchase that skill.

The issue was that you did not know that you need anti-air deathblow to kill Shichimen in mid-air.

so that's why I executed an anti-air deathblow when performing it at roughly the same time as those hat monks jumping up in the air
you can insta kill the monks (and the headless shaman dude) the moment they jump just by jumping yourself. you dont need that move.

You need that skill. That's the whole point.
I was referring to Senpou Leaping Kick/High Monk, which is also what Black Angel was talking about. You don't need to perform a SLK to pull off the air insta kill.
SLK's anti air also works even if you dont have anti air skill purchased, so no you don't need it even for what black angel was talking about.

Black Angel

Arcane
I was referring to Senpou Leaping Kick/High Monk, which is also what Black Angel was talking about. You don't need to perform a SLK to pull off the air insta kill.
SLK's anti air also works even if you dont have anti air skill purchased, so no you don't need it even for what black angel was talking about.
Except I never said any of these. I merely described my experience of performing anti-air deathblow *automatically* when performing Leaping Kick roughly at around the same time as those monks jumping in the air, which *probably* because of Leaping Kick/High Monk's anti-air counter move. Why do I think so? Because when fighting those cocks I had to interrupt their attack by deflecting them, which leads me to believe it was Leaping Kick's anti-air counter that interrupted the monks and makes them a target for anti-air deathblow. That's it. I once wondered if anti-air deathblow automatically activates if I catch something in mid-air, which IS true btw as demonstrated when fighting Shichimen Warrior, but I never noticed that SLK's already described its starting move as an anti-air counter UNTIL NOW.

The only reason you could anti-air deathblow Shichimen Warriors is because they're suspended in the air for a few seconds while shooting ranged attacks that are relatively easier to dodge. The same with those monks, as you've shown in your clip where they're suspended in the air for a few seconds not doing anything. BUT, the cocks needs to be interrupted first before they're available for anti-air deathblows, WHICH IS MY POINT ALL ALONG that leads me to conclude the whole SLK/HM relationship to anti-air deathblow.

Sentinel

Arcane
Except I never said any of these.
Said what? I never claimed you said anything.

I merely described my experience of performing anti-air deathblow *automatically* when performing Leaping Kick roughly at around the same time as those monks jumping in the air, which *probably* because of Leaping Kick/High Monk's anti-air counter move.
Yes, and both my statements in that post of mine line up with this. I didn't contradict you.
Let's see.

My claim n. 1:
I was referring to Senpou Leaping Kick/High Monk, which is also what Black Angel was talking about.
Lines up with what you were talking about.

Claim n. 2:
You don't need to perform a SLK to pull off the air insta kill.
True.

You don't need anti air deathblow skill to execute the anti air incorporated into SKL/HM.

the cocks needs to be interrupted first before they're available for anti-air deathblows, WHICH IS MY POINT ALL ALONG
You never mentioned any cocks.

Black Angel

Arcane
Black Angel said:
TheSentinel said:

Sample A:

https://streamable.com/q5iyp

Sample B:

https://streamable.com/kxzv6

I know all that. Anti-Air Deathblow is some cool shit that's, unfortunately, not train-able with Hanbei so you're left to your own devices to experiment and play around with it. I guess some people also missed it because you can only get it from a trader who also happened to be a midget. *Been performing it on those cocks when they jumped in the air and I deflected them,* and also been trying to use it on Shichimen Warrior but it's a bit tricky until you get used to it, and also needing divine confetti.

I was just pointing out the fact that leaping kick, as per its description, started *with* an anti-air counter move, which explains why I automatically performed anti-air deathblow on those monks when I performed it at roughly the same time as they jumped, most probably because the anti-air counter interrupt their jumping move and makes them a target for anti-air deathblow. The video also demonstrate how the anti-air counter move works, though I'm not sure if he had anti-air deathblow at the time or not.

I might've not been very clear here, so just to clear it up when I said I 'been performing anti-air deathblow on those cocks when they jumped in the air and I deflected them', I really meant that I was only able to perform anti-air deatblow on those cocks *AFTER* I deflected (interrupt) their attacks.

Sentinel

Arcane
Black Angel said:
TheSentinel said:

Sample A:

https://streamable.com/q5iyp

Sample B:

https://streamable.com/kxzv6

I know all that. Anti-Air Deathblow is some cool shit that's, unfortunately, not train-able with Hanbei so you're left to your own devices to experiment and play around with it. I guess some people also missed it because you can only get it from a trader who also happened to be a midget. *Been performing it on those cocks when they jumped in the air and I deflected them,* and also been trying to use it on Shichimen Warrior but it's a bit tricky until you get used to it, and also needing divine confetti.

I was just pointing out the fact that leaping kick, as per its description, started *with* an anti-air counter move, which explains why I automatically performed anti-air deathblow on those monks when I performed it at roughly the same time as they jumped, most probably because the anti-air counter interrupt their jumping move and makes them a target for anti-air deathblow. The video also demonstrate how the anti-air counter move works, though I'm not sure if he had anti-air deathblow at the time or not.

I might've not been very clear here, so just to clear it up when I said I 'been performing anti-air deathblow on those cocks when they jumped in the air and I deflected them', I really meant that I was only able to perform anti-air deatblow on those cocks *AFTER* I deflected (interrupt) their attacks.

Ok, so you did mention cocks. Still none of what I said contradicts what you said. I was complementing your post.

Ash

Arcane
Tried 6 or so times then gave up on the end boss, considering this completed. Maybe I'm just getting old and lacking patience, but I just couldn't be bothered with it, but I don't think I'm the problem. I think the combat is harder than most games barring 8/16 bit era, and harder than all hack and slash or ARPGs. Harder than Ninja Gaiden, Harder than Souls games, harder than DMC, harder than Castlevania: CotM...

Disappointing second half of the game. Though still good bits here and there. And yes, they did overdo the Ashina castle recycling (one recycle is acceptable, two is questionable).
The problem of standard enemies being fodder and bosses being hard as balls remained right 'till the end. This discrepancy definitely dragged the game quality down and failed to train the player for the total ASSHOLE bosses. There are some exceptions though - some standard enemy types that put up a fight, but simply not enough.
Glad that finally these Souls-like games are actually getting persistent music now, not just hub area and boss music. Sadly most of it is merely servicable, but I still prefer it to the endless silence of the souls games.
The combat mechanics in this game is a positive evolution over Souls I believe. They really need to reduce certain enemy/boss attack damage though. There shouldn't be enemies that one-shot you, or near one shot you. It's fucking bullshit as it slows the rate you learn enemy attack patterns and possible counters due to repeated death and leaves very little room for error with attack patterns that you cannot initially foresee.
The level design was good quality. Sometimes great quality. Mt. Buddhist Temple was some top notch shit.
The game even had some pretty enjoyable platforming. Stealth was shallow but not unwelcome. I like it when a game has the balls to near-force it on the player just like the good ol 1990s rather than offering complete playstyle choice, because with complete freedom comes some downsides.

Slightly reduce boss difficulty, slightly increase standard mob difficulty in some areas especially late game (wtf is the Mibu Village Zombies/Sunken Valley Monkeys supposed to be besides fodder?), a somewhat better soundtrack, slightly longer game (more areas), and just some miscellaneous general touches (e.g dismemberment and decapitation) would easily make this an insta-classic for me. So close and yet...there's a lot of potential for a possible Sekiro 2. Throw in a level editor like Tenchu 2 (or better yet mod tools) and multiplayer like Souls for good measure.

8.5/10

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem of standard enemies being fodder and bosses being hard as balls remained right 'till the end. This discrepancy definitely dragged the game quality down and failed to train the player for the total ASSHOLE bosses.

Bosses are always difficulty spikes but Sekiro is an extreme, especially coz you can one shot 95% of mobs in the game. It's a great game but it could've been so much better without the stealth. Or at least without a one-shotting stealth. Simple crits would be way better.

Ash

Arcane
Don't you little shits think yourselves superior, nor ignore a clear problem in the game's design, just because you had the patience to die to the end boss over and over again before you finally learnt his patterns and appropriate counters. The difficulty is a touch extreme even for a old school-styled Jap action game, and the game also fails to train you properly for its challenges. I'd like to know how many times you died to the end boss first playthrough, truthfully.

Fine, I'll let you have this one sullynathan. You used to post some nonsense at me ("Ninja Gaiden has no platforming wat da foook?"), but it seems like you've levelled up of late. I dub thee Master Shinobi.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The difficulty is a touch extreme even for a old school-styled Jap action game

Not at all.
DMC3+5 on DMD are harder as well as God Hand and Ninja Gaiden 1+2 on Hard (specially 2).
The problem with the combat is that it's very mechanical and that some game rules don't appear to be all that consistent.
I made a more detailed post on this if want to read.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom