Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Dorateen

Arcane
Grimoire does have an automap, auto walking, and in-game journals. That makes it more modernized than Grimoire's predecessors, while stile maintaining the early 90's aesthetic. This is why the design is so brilliant.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Grimoire does have an automap, auto walking, and in-game journals. That makes it more modernized than Grimoire's predecessors, while stile maintaining the early 90's aesthetic. This is why the design is so brilliant.
The UI and the inventory system are retarded,you could still make an aesthetic matching the old games while adding a new thing that better the game and the genre. There is a good reason those thing went obsolete as technology advanced. If it had a grid inventory like MM6,it would have been incline. Having to spam click 20 times to find a certain thing,only to over click it and have to do it again.....it is retarded design. I am too old to waste 500 hours fighting the menus and 100 hours playing the game,have other shit to do with my life.

index.php

Arcane
The UI and the inventory system are retarded,you could still make an aesthetic matching the old games while adding a new thing that better the game and the genre. There is a good reason those thing went obsolete as technology advanced. If it had a grid inventory like MM6,it would have been incline. Having to spam click 20 times to find a certain thing,only to over click it and have to do it again.....it is retarded design. I am too old to waste 500 hours fighting the menus and 100 hours playing the game,have other shit to do with my life.
When was the last time you played Grimoire?

LSi6uzG.jpg

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Checking out this thread made an old itch scratch real bad and so I've decided to start a VI LP while trying the only thing I haven't really tried before - reanimate power leveling. I've invented the best possible setup for that and it's glorious:

At the height of its power (dark magic 60, learning 60 with teacher and instructor) it's capable of generating 20 million experience per game day.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Checking out this thread made an old itch scratch real bad and so I've decided to start a VI LP while trying the only thing I haven't really tried before - reanimate power leveling. I've invented the best possible setup for that and it's glorious:

At the height of its power (dark magic 60, learning 60 with teacher and instructor) it's capable of generating 20 million experience per game day.

I see that you haven't go for the max intelligence secret,or maybe you don't know it.

In Agar's laboratory,in the cold part of Kriegspire,there is a cauldron that kills you normally if you click on it. But if you click on it while cursed it will let you pump your intel to max.

Pope Amole II

Developer
I see that you haven't go for the max intelligence secret,or maybe you don't know it.

I've done it later. It's not max, it's 275 only (so it's before sweet spot stats threshold) so it's not very impactful and thus was not rushed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I've done it later. It's not max, it's 275 only (so it's before sweet spot stats threshold) so it's not very impactful and thus was not rushed.
To get 500 you need to do a lot of shrine quests and barrel hunting. Most of the wells are impossible to use because you get killed or eradicated. Also why did you have so little might? At this point should have had a lot more even with relics because you get all the barrels.

Pope Amole II

Developer
To get 500 you need to do a lot of shrine quests and barrel hunting. Most of the wells are impossible to use because you get killed or eradicated. Also why did you have so little might? At this point should have had a lot more even with relics because you get all the barrels.

There's not that many barrels in the VI and it's the second month of the game time, nothing has respawned yet (and I plan to finish before it does). Besides, stats pretty much mean nothing to the caster so why bother with them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Probably the merge mod, not sure if you get VII and VIII races if you start directly from VI's world though (started from VII or VIII when i tested it) but even then, you can cross very early on so it's worth a try.

The mod is playable but they're still working on it adding some new playable races and fixing shit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh come now, 10 is alright.

Exactly, Might & Magic X is alright.

Isles of Terra and World of Xeen are monuments to the gaming industry.

They were AAA games in their time. Might & Magic X was a small passion project that Ubi put minimal effort in supporting. And I disagree that it's merely alright, it's easily the best of the new era of blobbers that started with grimrock. Just like terra/xeen were great games in their particular context X is pretty great in its own.

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Developer
Wow you beat Incogneto's score of 1,534,175 by a large margin and I was sure he was the most pro.

Hey are you going to do MM7 and maybe MM8?

There's already 3.2kk score on dtf.ru, dated at, iirc, 2013. I can beat that too, though, this high score can be pumped up to 15kk, I think. That'll require some grinding, though - to beat that 3.2kk, for example, I'll need extra three hours of fun.

7 and 8 are not as interesting as they're offering much less scoring options - there it's pretty much speedrun or bust.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing I really like about MM1 and 2 is the loot system. Every battle is a chance to improve your gear. A bit like Diablo 1 and 2 in that regard.
Static loot is not as exciting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is there any way to disable the artefact limit in MM7? Most of them are pretty shit anyway and the obelisk/arcomage quests have shit rewards too. It is shame that i can't collect that shit :(.

Dorateen

Arcane
I wish there was more discussion of Might & Magic I and II. They still remain the best of the series.

Care to explain in details ?

I've gushed over MMII in other threads, so I don't want to sound repetitive. But using that game as an example, some objective qualities:
  • Larger active party
  • Roster to build dozens of extra characters who can be swapped in and out at any time
  • Hirelings that provide skills, in addition to joining and fighting like other party members
  • 100% turn based combat with tactical positioning
  • Grid based and coordinate based map exploration
  • Arcane magic system requiring gem components
  • Gorgeous stylized map that correlates to the gameworld
  • Hundreds of fantastic weapons/items with varying power levels and alignment based
I like Isles of Terra and Xeen very much, too, and those style of Might & Magics I include in the top five best cRPGs as well. However, the earliest Might & Magics provide the foundation for most of the features that would be introduced onward, and in some cases, the latter games (post VI) clearly lost something.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dorateen

Interesting, what about the UI ?
I guess sound effects are horrible ?

A terrible UI and/or "i'm blind!" graphics would prevent me from playing any game more than 30 minutes.
I recognize the value of really old games but i just can't play them.

Dorateen

Arcane
Interesting, what about the UI ?
I guess sound effects are horrible ?

The user interface is practical, entirely keyboard command driven like (T)ake, (G)ive, (M) for map or numbers 1- 8 to select characters. And then there are the spell selections, like needing to reference the level and number of the spell. (Sorcerer 5-3). This gets into a subjective area, but I find that stuff fun. Same with the sound effects. To me, the various tunes that are played have a simple charm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom