Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
GOG's Kick tactic: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-westwoods-long-lost-blade-runner-adventure-game-landed-on-gog

In emails with USgamer, GOG's business development director for the US offices Mark Hill emphasizes that Blade Runner has been one of the most requested games on GOG, dating back to its launch in 2008.

"For years everyone, including us, thought it was impossible to release due to scattered rights, technical issues, and lost source code," Hill tells USG. "But we never gave up and kept looking for even the smallest opportunities, like we did in the past with [the] Monkey Island series, Star Wars - Episode I: Racer, Diablo, Stranglehold, and other classic games."

GOG has a history of resurrecting games, as Hill mentions. In 2019 alone, it's given games like John Woo's Stranglehold and Blizzard's Diablo a new home on digital platforms. Retro games are its specialty, but Westwood's 1997 adventure posed a number of problems.

The infamous issue is the rights to Blade Runner itself. Hill says that GOG had been chasing the rights to Blade Runner for over 10 years, but couldn't make much progress. Both the game code and its IP rights were in a "precarious situation" which made the release seem impossible.

But a few years ago, Hill says GOG got in touch with Alcon Entertainment, the production company that was working on Blade Runner 2049 at the time. "I literally went over to their office and asked to talk to someone about Blade Runner and GOG," Hill says, adding an aside: "I don't recommend this."

Alcon, as it turns out, was happy to help. It had the legal rights for Blade Runner, and entered a publishing agreement with GOG. Though it took a few more years to get everything in order-when asked how GOG and Alcon navigated the licensing issues, Hill says, "If you knew I would have to retire you"-everything slid into place and GOG turned to the people working on ScummVM, a program for running classic point-and-click adventure games on modern computers, to get a version of Blade Runner it could put on the store.

Getting an old game working on a digital platform and modern computers is one issue, but Blade Runner's source code had also been famously lost since the closure of Westwood in 2003. (Other bits of Westwood data, like EVA's original voice lines for Command & Conquer, have also been lost to the sands of time.)

Luckily, the ScummVM team had already started the recreation process eight years ago. The final team was a group of four people who had been working on making Blade Runner playable, even exploring a host of unused content in the game's assets—"he started by tinkering with the code and digging up unused or cut out content, like dialogue lines or entire story branches," Hill says. But it still required a hard copy of the game to run.

Once the legal obstacles cleared, the ScummVM team helped get a version put together that could go live on GOG. ScummVM had already worked for past games like the Monkey Island series, Broken Sword, and Myst. Blade Runner was fully in the ScummVM team's wheelhouse. The current build is based on the original box edition—the source code is, as far as anyone can tell, still lost—but paired with ScummVM, the team got the game working on Windows 7, 8, and 10, as well as Linux and Mac OS X.

Now, the game that won the Interactive Achievement Award for Computer Adventure Game of the year is available once again, this time without a four-CD requirement. Blade Runner is one of many games that have been lost to ancient systems as technology rapidly advances forward, but at least now, we have an archival work to carry forward for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Did A Boring GOG Bot's self ejection have anything to do with this?

It's the same guy alright, as confirmed by himself in this post. I also asked him on the gog forum if that's really him (thought it was weird that a gog regular just up and went spamming links on the 'dex of all places) and got this reply.

edit:

From what I've heard, that archived link has been making the rounds on some gog Discord server ahead of the Grimoire release. Apparently, people there were wondering about the controversies surrounding the game and Cleve and someone posted that link. It's entirely possible that this is how A_boring_GOG_bot got a hold of that link and he wasn't actually the one who archived it in the first place.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More with old games.

Piko re-releases: https://af.gog.com/news/6_newlyreleased_classic_games_that_deserve_your_attention?as=1649904300

The Legacy: Realm of Terror https://af.gog.com/game/the_legacy_realm_of_terror?as=1649904300
EPIC + Inferno Bundle https://af.gog.com/game/epic_inferno_bundle?as=1649904300
Hexplore https://af.gog.com/game/hexplore?as=1649904300
DethKarz https://af.gog.com/game/dethkarz?as=1649904300
Time Gate: Knight's Chase https://af.gog.com/game/time_gate_knights_chase?as=1649904300

6 NEWLY-RELEASED CLASSIC GAMES THAT DESERVE YOUR ATTENTION

A true passion for video games knows no boundaries. Working side by side, Piko Interactive and GOG.COM have managed to bring some true classic gems to our modern computers. Today, we present to you 6 more titles you should definitely check out.

Is simple passion enough to achieve success in the video game world? Companies like Piko Interactive show us again and again how much one can achieve when passion leads a project, not large bankrolls. For example, Piko’s first project was actually a successful crowdfunding campaign designed to launch a selection of retro-style games on Super Nintendo cartridges in 2013.

It didn’t take long before Piko Interactive started showing interest in more PC classics, as well. By acquiring titles from late developers like Legend Entertainment and Infogrames, the company enriched its portfolio with games such as Spellcasting and Eternam.

Just before the holidays, GOG.COM got together with Piko Interactive to release six more classic titles, which are now available DRM-free on GOG.COM.

piko_editorial_1.jpg

Hexplore

Hexplore is an action RPG title that was published in 1998 by Infogrames, which has already been mentioned in this article on more than one occasion.

The late 1990s were a time truly revolutionary for the RPG genre and Hexplore is one example of a title that helped define the genre during that time. This was the same timeframe that games like Diablo, Might and Magic VI, and Baldur’s Gate premiered and Hexplore combines elements from all of them. This includes non-stop action sequences and a gamer-friendly interface. Furthermore, Hexplore introduces some unique features of its own, like the ability to turn the camera a full 360 degrees and beautiful hand-drawn cut scenes.

In Hexplore, you play as McBride, a Scottish adventurer, who travels through a medieval Europe filled with magic and wonder. One day, near the village of Zarko, our hero is nearly killed by minions of an evil sorcerer named Garkham. With the help of three chosen adventurers (a magician, archer and a warrior), McBride sets out on a quest to stop the game’s main antagonist from taking hold of the legendary book titled Hexplore.

piko_editorial_2.png

Epic + Inferno Bundle

Epic is a space fighter simulator that first released in 1992 and in many ways outclassed the competitors of its time. Not only did it introduce a compelling space opera-like story, but its 3D graphics were also truly amazing at the time. Those graphics helped gamers enjoy complete freedom when moving the spaceship around. All of these things combined to help make it one of the most anticipated titles of the early 1990s.

In the game, your mission as a starship pilot is to save humankind from extinction. The threat comes in the form of a powerful supernova. The only way to escape its destructive power is to evacuate the humans that are in danger through the hostile Rexxon Empire’s space territory. The game was so popular that it spawned a direct sequel in 1994, called Inferno, which further expands the story of the Epic starfighter pilot. Epic + Inferno Bundle available on GOG.COM includes both games.

piko_editorial_3.jpg

Time Gate: Knight’s Chase

An adventure game released in 1996 by French studio Infogrames, Time Gate: Knight’s Chase was developed and written in part by Hubert Chardot. Chardot was the person behind some of the company’s most successful titles. Specifically, the Alone in the Dark franchise. As the title indicates, the game’s plot revolves around time travel and exploring a medieval world. It features not only puzzles but also an innovative swordplay system. In the beginning, the creators of the game planned for an entire Time Gate trilogy, but sadly the project was abandoned.

In the game, the protagonist, William, is an American student who spends a joyful time in Paris with his girlfriend, Juliette. Much to his surprise, one day he is attacked by someone who resembles a medieval knight. William survives but quickly discovers that Juliette has been kidnapped. The only way to get her back is to travel to the year 1329 and save her from the clutches of the Inquisition.

piko_editorial_4.png

The Legacy: Realm of Terror

Released in 1992, The Legacy: Realm of Terror from Microprose still remains quite effective in terms of sending genuine shivers down a gamer’s spine. It accomplishes this mainly thanks to its attention to detail and, sometimes, lack of. For example, during most of the game, our hero is unable to see what hides behind the corner… Some gamers will love that feeling, while others will hate it - which is exactly what it is meant to do. Moreover, the game includes RPG elements, like character creation, which help make it unique among other survival horrors to this day.

The Legacy: Realm of Terror tells a story about a haunted mansion that you must enter as one of its inheritors. While exploring the building’s different rooms and floors, you uncover more and more pieces of its dark history. As time goes by, you’ll be tasked with fending off monstrous attackers from the other world, while at the same time keeping a close watch on your stamina stats.

piko_editorial_5.jpg

DethKarz

Another game from 1998, this time tailored specially for fans of driving fast and dangerous cars. Dethkarz from Melbourne House takes the player to a world of the future and rocket car racing. The game allows players to sit behind the wheel of a sports car designed not only to win a race but also destroy any opponents that get in their way in the process. This is because, unlike traditional racing games, players can equip a variety of weapons to their car to help give them an edge.

The game resembles the classic title MegaRace, only it’s much faster and more dynamic. You can choose from four challenging tracks to race on - Metro City, The Pole, Grand Keys, and Red Planet, each with its own unique characteristics. The player can choose between four car brands and three vehicle classes, all designed to win no matter the cost.

All of the games mentioned above have unique stories and gameplay elements that deserve your attention. Whether you’re looking for a sense of adventure, an adrenaline rush, or you just like being scared when playing a game, there is at least one title here that meets those standards with these nostalgic video games from the 1990s.

Submarine Titans: https://af.gog.com/game/submarine_titans?as=1649904300

ad7fd62ba998a71c266187c8ffea8f1b59315a3fa73d713f1bd1a177c4b2d2ee.jpg

Arabian Nights: https://af.gog.com/game/arabian_nights?as=1649904300

558206956cbe3824abbec18781490ce5c1ddcd96c41a9c29c8b24949146ca419.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I was always wondering how does Arabian Nights compare to modern Prince of Persia trilogy (Sands of Time and beyond).
Hexplorer and Submarine Titans grabbed, more than a decade since my last playthroughs.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
holy fuck i remember playing the demo for submarine titans ages ago and being amazed by the amount of depth and detail in it

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh shit Hexplore! I remember fondly the demo I played as a teen. I might check it out see if the impression wasn't just me not knowing better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just watched 10 minutes of Hexplore on Youtube and it looked pretty simplistic and bad to me. Maybe will watch more later, but... don't look like my thing.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is Hexplore any good?

I see it's on my chronological play list with a "N/A" next to it.
Good for what it was. Pretty innovative for hns of its time - 3d, party based and had this amusing idea of kill xp as a consumable drop. Not exactly a game I'm eager to replay though.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Heh. I just dug out my old Hexplore CD a couple weeks ago. Primitive, corny and fun in short bursts. Don't expect any depth though.

The Legacy is awesome.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh. I just dug out my old Hexplore CD a couple weeks ago. Primitive, corny and fun in short bursts. Don't expect any depth though.

Watched a YouTube video of it. Doesn't excactly look like the right thing for me after several months of playing Diablo 2...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Somehow i ended up on a Mythos youtube when looking into that. Didn't help i saw the posters again in hellgate london.

Watched a YouTube video of it. Doesn't excactly look like the right thing for me after several months of playing Diablo 2...

That self banter reminds me of the first Warcraft. Any way to turn that shit off?

Last edited:
interesting discount on Witcher series for the next 5 days. Thronebreaker is half the price of the Steam version if you pick the "complete your collection" option that gives you 77% discount, otherwise it's the same 50%.

Tower of Time free to keep 4ever for the next 48 hours too.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is anyone else having Galaxy problems? Gets stuck on importing games, gets stuck on endless refreshing, etc. Damn thing's been unusable for like a week.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tower of Time free to keep 4ever for the next 48 hours too.

This one was a little bröken for me, as I clicked the Giveaway link and it just sent me down to some deals from the sale. What you need to do is scroll further down on the main page until you see the button for the giveaway.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

That self banter reminds me of the first Warcraft. Any way to turn that shit off?

If you mean all the "Yes" "I'm off" crap, yes. There is a "Movement : Sound of Voices / Sound of Steps" toggle in the options menu. Choose "Sound of Steps".

Morkar Left

Thinking about buying No Mans Sky since it's on 50% discount and may be worrth some time now. Is the gog version up to date or are there difficulties compared to the steam version (patches, multiplayer etc.)?

Comte

Thinking about buying No Mans Sky since it's on 50% discount and may be worrth some time now. Is the gog version up to date or are there difficulties compared to the steam version (patches, multiplayer etc.)?

Yeah its been patched quite regularly on GOG.

ADL

Prophet
No crossplay between Steam and GOG versions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom