Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I kind of like that though. Rimworld is the game that plays most like real life, if lots of interesting things happened in real life. You get rewarded for just acting like you would in that situation. So minimizing the risk that your people face of getting eyes poked out and such is what you do. It's a lot more intuitive than a game where you have to learn some ass-backwards way of doing everything.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I kind of like that though. Rimworld is the game that plays most like real life, if lots of interesting things happened in real life. You get rewarded for just acting like you would in that situation. So minimizing the risk that your people face of getting eyes poked out and such is what you do. It's a lot more intuitive than a game where you have to learn some ass-backwards way of doing everything.
I love that too, and then there's the ability via the game's modding system and huge community to customize the experience in an insane number of ways. If someone likes the game to be a Lovecraftian nightmare, they can get that; if they want it to be LOTR, they can get that; if they want a grittier war experience, they can get that; if they want it to be a completely plain and safe builder game, they can get that; and so on forever as long as people are willing to write mods.

Something I'm thinking of doing myself to supplement my current attempts to learn programming. This game is amazing to play and now it's even going to help me learn a real life skill lol

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So just got around to buy this. Fuck the dev for basically no discount ever :argh:

Is there any mandatory QoL mod for my first play-through? Usually management stuffs for this kind of game I guess?

Maybe some light more furniture/more lightweight features?

ChaDargo

Arcane
So just got around to buy this. Fuck the dev for basically no discount ever :argh:

Is there any mandatory QoL mod for my first play-through? Usually management stuffs for this kind of game I guess?

The rabit hole is deep for modding this gane. Make sure to get ModManager, and pretty much anything else by its craetor, Fluffy.

RimHud improves the information you see in the bottom left when you click a pawn. It's a huge improvement.

Research Tree vastly improves upon the appearance and functionality of the vanilla version, and it provides even more benefits when adding mods that expand the base research tree (like android mods, medicine expanded, Rimfeller, etc.).

AllowTool gives you a lot more control over how you use basic commands like mine or deconstruct.

RimSaves provides a better save system.

Dubs Mint Menus is amazing functionality for the UI when crafting. Gives a lot better interface.

EdP Prepare Carefully allows you to completely customize your starting pawns and their starting equipment. You can use it to break the game if you want, but I don't. It just makes it easier to create a scenario or a situation I would like.

There's a lot of other QoL or UI mods, but those are a must IMO. The rest just comes down to what you would like to be different about the game. There's a ton of mods allowing you to change how this game works without breaking the original design ideas or giving you silly advantages.

As for lights, furniture, that sort of thing, there's probably as many mods as you can imagine. If you want something in particular, let me know, I'm pretty balls deep when it comes to modding this damn thing. There are also some great mods that expand world generation, biomes, the flora and fauna. There's a series of mods that add up to making the game into a Call of C'Thulu survival nightmare. This mod community is amazing, and a lot of it is because of how the game was designed/programmed.

The most interesting mod that I'm still working towards even utilizing in-game is Save Our Ship 2.0. Instead of the normal end-game condition of getting a ship into space and then the credits roll, you actually can customize and build a ship and then fly it into space then travel around. Then there's an android mod that allow you to build androids and a SkyNet style supercomputer that holds the consciousness of your pawns that you can put into as many androids as you can make. Combine those two, and you can effectively become the borg.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

Allow Tool - essential
HugSlib, JescTools
Color Coded Mood Bar
Pick Up And Haul
Realistic Rooms
Blueprints
RimHUD

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

The rabit hole is deep for modding this gane. Make sure to get ModManager, and pretty much anything else by its craetor, Fluffy.

RimHud improves the information you see in the bottom left when you click a pawn. It's a huge improvement.

Research Tree vastly improves upon the appearance and functionality of the vanilla version, and it provides even more benefits when adding mods that expand the base research tree (like android mods, medicine expanded, Rimfeller, etc.).

AllowTool gives you a lot more control over how you use basic commands like mine or deconstruct.

Dubs Mint Menus is amazing functionality for the UI when crafting. Gives a lot better interface.

EdP Prepare Carefully allows you to completely customize your starting pawns and their starting equipment. You can use it to break the game if you want, but I don't. It just makes it easier to create a scenario or a situation I would like.

There's a lot of other QoL or UI mods, but those are a must IMO. The rest just comes down to what you would like to be different about the game. There's a ton of mods allowing you to change how this game works without breaking the original design ideas or giving you silly advantages.

As for lights, furniture, that sort of thing, there's probably as many mods as you can imagine. If you want something in particular, let me know, I'm pretty balls deep when it comes to modding this damn thing. There are also some great mods that expand world generation, biomes, the flora and fauna. There's a series of mods that add up to making the game into a Call of C'Thulu survival nightmare. This mod community is amazing, and a lot of it is because of how the game was designed/programmed.

The most interesting mod that I'm still working towards even utilizing in-game is Save Our Ship 2.0. Instead of the normal end-game condition of getting a ship into space and then the credits roll, you actually can customize and build a ship and then fly it into space then travel around. Then there's an android mod that allow you to build androids and a SkyNet style supercomputer that holds the consciousness of your pawns that you can put into as many androids as you can make. Combine those two, and you can effectively become the borg.

As per my request, for 1st playthrough I am expecting a more "Vanilla but a bit better" kind of mods. I am not sure how goof it is (or how accurate its description is) but something like this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1884025115 ?

Essentially adding bit of stuffs (furniture, weapon, armors, animals) here and there without making the game some gigantic mess of items and features (I remember my friend installed a mod which changed firearms into like dozens of namedguns with mostly unique ammo).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
AllowTool is the only one I consider essential. Wall Light is one I love but be advised you should edit its cost to make sure you don’t get a discount compared to a standing lamp

ChaDargo

Arcane

As per my request, for 1st playthrough I am expecting a more "Vanilla but a bit better" kind of mods. I am not sure how goof it is (or how accurate its description is) but something like this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1884025115 ?

Essentially adding bit of stuffs (furniture, weapon, armors, animals) here and there without making the game some gigantic mess of items and features (I remember my friend installed a mod which changed firearms into like dozens of namedguns with mostly unique ammo).

I have a lot of those mods installed. That pack would be a great Vanilla-like experience. Even the guy who makes the graphics in the animals expanded plays his own games basically vanilla AFAIK, and his designs are very true to the original's. It's all very light weight as well. If you'd like some extra floor styles, try Fluffy's Stuffed Floors. I'm also partial to the Wall Light as an alternative to the weird Vanilla lamp, although I bump up its cost to build and fuel in the mod settings.

As someone else suggested, don't forget HugsLib and Jecstools. I noticed a faction mod at the end of that pack list. If you're looking to add factions it's a good idea to use Orion's Faction Discovery. It allows you to add factions to a current save without breaking your game. But if you're just adding that one and the core mod for it before starting a game, you'll be fine without the above mod.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Oh, and your friend installed Combat Extended. It's a great mod for someone who gets into a lot of combat and/or has put a lot of hours into the game and finds Vanilla combat stale. But it's a lot more bloated than just the huge amount of ammo types and weapons. It completely reworks carry weights, injuries, bullet trajectories, etc etc. And the original is notorious for being a pain in the ass to use with other mods. There's a new "CE FastTrack" that's rectifying the original's problems, but it's definitely not what you're looking for.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nope. Vanilla is fine. But as with all highly modded games, you will likely find yourself personalizing the experience and it's very easy to do so. Don't wait for someone else to tell you what that perfect mod suite is, just play the game.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Vanilla alone is a hell of a lot to digest. I'd give it at least 20 hours before biting off anything more than that.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Vanilla alone is a hell of a lot to digest. I'd give it at least 20 hours before biting off anything more than that.

But he just wants to add some aesthetic variety and I don't know why someone wouldn't use AllowTool and RimHud...

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Man this game is a timesink isn't it.

Just a while and just few in game days and its suddenly 4 hours passed.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Is there a mod where I can manage the maximum number of stack an item type could have?

I have a warg pet and I made somekind of warg cage, but because the game can't differentiate between zone, the settlers just dump all meat (until stack is full) to the cage. It would be nice if I can create a "small stack" for meat zone in the Warg Cage.

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a mod where I can manage the maximum number of stack an item type could have?

I have a warg pet and I made somekind of warg cage, but because the game can't differentiate between zone, the settlers just dump all meat (until stack is full) to the cage. It would be nice if I can create a "small stack" for meat zone in the Warg Cage.

That function is a bit hidden but the mod Rimworld Search Agency gives you among other features a slider for the stockpile settings. It's called "refill cells less than 0-100%". I just added it to a game with custom stack sizes and it seems to work nicely. I have now 2 stockpiles with glitterworld medicine (max size is 100) - one at 100 and one at 90 that just won't get refilled. Pretty cool function. Thanks for bringing it up in the first place, i would have never looked for it otherwise.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
InD_ImaginE Yeah, now you are learning how to mod. Play vanilla, find stuff you want to fix, fix it.

I have a warg pet and I made somekind of warg cage
Personally I love Fences and Floors to make animal cages and corrals. Feels dumb to make an animal "corral" with 10' thick wooden walls. Chainlink makes a great cage for attack animals ... or prisoners :o

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
InD_ImaginE Yeah, now you are learning how to mod. Play vanilla, find stuff you want to fix, fix it.

Personally I love Fences and Floors to make animal cages and corrals. Feels dumb to make an animal "corral" with 10' thick wooden walls. Chainlink makes a great cage for attack animals ... or prisoners :o
Also very nice for farming I guess? The herbivores usually eat your young corps as well. Thanks!

On that note is there a simple agriculture mod? I don't really want some huge ass farming + irrigation + fertilizer + terra-forming kind of mod. Just want seeds I guess. Farming is kinda cheap in the base game. I could start a new colony and because its spring, make a 10x10 paddy field to solve food problem.

Edit: nvm here it is https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=935732834

Seems like it also has automatic addon when some other agriculture mods are isntalled

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Also very nice for farming I guess? The herbivores usually eat your young corps as well. Thanks!

On that note is there a simple agriculture mod? I don't really want some huge ass farming + irrigation + fertilizer + terra-forming kind of mod. Just want seeds I guess. Farming is kinda cheap in the base game. I could start a new colony and because its spring, make a 10x10 paddy field to solve food problem.

Edit: nvm here it is https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=935732834

Seems like it also has automatic addon when some other agriculture mods are isntalled

Maybe you know this but it seems a bit like you don’t so just in case: you can create restricted zones for pawns and animals alike. That way your pets don’t eat your shit or fuck up your colony

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Vegetable Garden - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185265132&searchtext=VegetableGarden is pretty good, there's a submod that let u can the fruits and meats to improve their longevity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom