Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The UI is fine if you don't mind using the keyboard.
Sound effects are not very important to a TB game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Boring video but it provides visuals, i like character creation enough but then, the colors, the COLORS! (check that blue wall at 2:06 ...)
:dead:

I'd play the hell out of it if it was remade in M&M3 engine with brand new sound effects.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nobody is interested in your 300 year old games, grandpa.
Go back to RPGwatch dipshit!

I wish there was more discussion of Might & Magic I and II. They still remain the best of the series.

Care to explain in details ?

I've gushed over MMII in other threads, so I don't want to sound repetitive. But using that game as an example, some objective qualities:
  • Larger active party
  • Roster to build dozens of extra characters who can be swapped in and out at any time
  • Hirelings that provide skills, in addition to joining and fighting like other party members
  • 100% turn based combat with tactical positioning
  • Grid based and coordinate based map exploration
  • Arcane magic system requiring gem components
  • Gorgeous stylized map that correlates to the gameworld
  • Hundreds of fantastic weapons/items with varying power levels and alignment based
I like Isles of Terra and Xeen very much, too, and those style of Might & Magics I include in the top five best cRPGs as well. However, the earliest Might & Magics provide the foundation for most of the features that would be introduced onward, and in some cases, the latter games (post VI) clearly lost something.
Both are great games mate,but they haven't aged well. It is worth playing to every RPG fan,but it is not something that i die from desire to replay every year.

Casual Hero

Augur
Nobody is interested in your 300 year old games, grandpa.

CORRECTION : You is not interested. I an really thinking on trying M&M I/II. I don't like the gem requirement but wanna see how the franchise started.
Gems are really not that much of a problem. They are only really relevant in the early game, but then you get them so often- it is never really something to think about.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish there was more discussion of Might & Magic I and II. They still remain the best of the series.

Care to explain in details ?

I played MM1 for the first time a year or two ago and was blown away by how dynamic the combat system felt. The speed stat seemed much more impactful, fights where generally tougher and some of the dungeons and environmental hazards were amazing. I still remember a dungeon with a tough Minotaur fight and "conveyor belt" tiles. I can't recall anything like this from the later games. And that is coming from someone who still regards MM III-V as the greatest in the series.

As for the UI and getting into it, I'd recommend WAW, since Grid Cartographer is still super expensive (and from the looks of it inferior if you only want to play MM).

kryminator

Augur
Is there any way to disable the artefact limit in MM7? Most of them are pretty shit anyway and the obelisk/arcomage quests have shit rewards too. It is shame that i can't collect that shit :(.
I think there is. I don't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure that I had edited some hexes on my save games years ago to overcome that limit. I remember it being a little tricky but it might be my memory playing tricks on me (I think something like saving the game or maybe finding the artifact restored the standard limit which was 13 or sth like that).

Who can teach REGENERATION https://mightandmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Regeneration_(MM8) to my main lich and some characters on my party without the skill? Passively regen health would be amazing.
Temple, but not every temple. Check this out http://www.pottsland.com/mm8/skills/basic_town.shtml

kryminator

Augur
Is there any way to disable the artefact limit in MM7? Most of them are pretty shit anyway and the obelisk/arcomage quests have shit rewards too. It is shame that i can't collect that shit :(.
I think there is. I don't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure that I had edited some hexes on my save games years ago to overcome that limit. I remember it being a little tricky but it might be my memory playing tricks on me (I think something like saving the game or maybe finding the artifact restored the standard limit which was 13 or sth like that).

Unfortunately, after some internet browsing I came to conclusion that the case I was talking about was MM6 not MM7 (I remember editing my that limit in desert location with some water and a lot of dragons which I believe is Dragonsand from MM6) but I have also found this: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/9704?start=320 which might contain some more detailed info and might be also applicable for MM7.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They've even been updated recently. Have to bookmark those, thanks for the find!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
2 vampires and a necromancer in a party sounds badass. It's kind of a cool name for a gothic band too - The Necromancer and the Vampires.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
mm8 keeps haunting me and i might give it another run.
I wish to do 3man party, no dragons. My knowledge is rusty and I dont remember specifics, yet wish to obtain specific party composition early.
Main vampire.
No members swapping for better counter parts, no recruiting to ditch later. Im confident i can escape island solo just fine.
I dont want to run around the woods to collect lvl 50 uber menshen early. I prefer to see my dudes grow and not have weirdly spent points. Lets say only 1st and 2nd companions tiers(up to lvl15).

2nd spot would be necro as i like alchemy and pernament lifesteal on weapons

this leaves 3rd spot. Im thinking either 2nd vampire or elf. Vampire allows my whole party to be covered by regeneration. Elf gives disarm and general skills. It feels somewhat silly to have drizzt, vampire and lich in party. vvn at least feels like fitting a theme.
Would welcome advice and which party members to grab(i bet someone here like Pope Amole II got a spreadsheet with viable party members, i recall some were bad).

You get a Vampire chick and a Necro guy at the tavern on the starting island. They will both be lvl 5 and eager to join.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
mm8 keeps haunting me and i might give it another run.
I wish to do 3man party, no dragons. My knowledge is rusty and I dont remember specifics, yet wish to obtain specific party composition early.
Main vampire.
No members swapping for better counter parts, no recruiting to ditch later. Im confident i can escape island solo just fine.
I dont want to run around the woods to collect lvl 50 uber menshen early. I prefer to see my dudes grow and not have weirdly spent points. Lets say only 1st and 2nd companions tiers(up to lvl15).

2nd spot would be necro as i like alchemy and pernament lifesteal on weapons

this leaves 3rd spot. Im thinking either 2nd vampire or elf. Vampire allows my whole party to be covered by regeneration. Elf gives disarm and general skills. It feels somewhat silly to have drizzt, vampire and lich in party. vvn at least feels like fitting a theme.
Would welcome advice and which party members to grab(i bet someone here like Pope Amole II got a spreadsheet with viable party members, i recall some were bad).

You get a Vampire chick and a Necro guy at the tavern on the starting island. They will both be lvl 5 and eager to join.

yeah but then looking at devlin and nathaniel -> 2nd one got crazy amount of skill points so with my rules its better to wait and get him

Fair enough, but Nathaniel has a reputation requirement, I think.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fair enough, but Nathaniel has a reputation requirement, I think.
He does not have any requirements.

I was using guides here in my several runs through different M&M - http://mm6world.ru. It is in Russian (with all names and terms doubled in English), but anyone who can read the language would probably appreciate.
It is absolutely most gorgeous site about RPG series I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

Nathaniel Roberts is the only outstanding NPC in the game (in a sense of having more skillpoints and stuff - I guess they've just mixed levels 25 and 15 when designing him). Outside of that, the lower the level of the minion - the better they are as they'll have less skillpoints wasted on trash.

Otherwise, it's gonna be awfully weak but it's your game, man.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am playing with a necro,elf,vamp,knight and a cleric. I decided to not get dragons even if they get the great flying ability very early. Also no disgusting monsters as companions.

kryminator

Augur
In most cases disarm master + item giving you bonus is enough, but there are chests requiring grandmaster (although maybe uberhigh bonus would suffice). Those chests I think are the one in Ilsingore cave (dragon on Ironsand) and in some chest or chests inside crystal and maybe more.

I read that repair master at 10 is enough to repair everything, but in fact, I think you can skip it entirely and use harden item on everything.

Identify item master at 7 + bonus from item is enough (I think that 10 in summary is ok, so the bonus could be only 3).

Dunno about perception although I don't remember many secrets which would be hard to spot without perception. In fact, I don't remember any.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom