Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
but alot of it aren't even worth exploring because you get level scaled random loot anyway.

This, plus someone had the briliant idea to cram auto-levelling gear in the game so you have even less motivation to explore and loot.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No Vaati videos in this thread please. He has become a pretentious clickbait video maker.

polo

Magister
Speaking of ENB, I miss that guy. It sucks that he switched over to Twitch streaming. Also sucks that his wife cucked and divorced him.
His youtube was really good sometimes, but he is awful at streaming.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I liked ENB a lot in Demon's Souls-DS1 era. It was clear that he had real enthusiasm and insight about games (great Vagrant story walkthrough). I liked how he was a skilled player but not a powergaming autist and care about the whole experience (art direction, level design, atmosphere). Later real life issues drained his energy and his quality output diminished. I lost complete interest when he went to twitch streaming instead of his tight youtube walkthroughs and analysis.

Also I started to see increasing evil liberal and globalist influences in his views. He is a good guy and wish him the best, I hope he find God and Jesus Christ.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Vaati was always full on garbo. Even the DS1 videos. It was all regurgitated pull-from-the-ass theories that he read on reddit, the source of 90% of the DS lore circlejerks and fantasmal storytelling about things that don't really make any logical sense. The only value he added was a voice some people fapped to. Nice voice I admit.

The reason why you see a lot of people mention him as decent before but declining now is because the whole DS lore circle jerk declined after DS1 when people realized that From Software never had any real plot direction in their games, that their "we made a real story but deleted parts of it to make the player connect dots and imagine things" were lies. DS2 and DS3 didn't advance the thing in any significant way, for the purpose of plot they were all three.. the same games. Cyclical nonsense with no real basis for why anything really happened.

Demon's Souls lorestuff wasn't per se superior, but it was simpler and made sense. Here, there's an evil demon awakening, why he is awakening, who awakened him, and it's corrupting the land, please kill it. Endings : you either fix the world for good (the kingdom even loses the ability to use soul arts) or become the demon. There's a beginning, an end, a why, motives for everything and everyone in game. No pretentious trash. No "and the furtive pygmy..." no "PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE BECUZ DORK SOUL BUT THEY ALSO END UP ZOMBIES BECAUSE DORK SOUL WIZ NO FIR" no "lol this happened again 2" "lol this happened again 3".
As it happens, DeS didn't spawn a full on circlejerk for its lore. Only the asspull games do.

Dork Souls are gewd action RPGs, good gameplay, but the whole lorejerking surrounding it is absolute garbage driven by people with too much time on their hands (and youtube ad revenue sucking on all that plebbit content). All three DS are the worst thing From ever did on that front.
At this point I'll take simple and stupid storytelling anyday over this whole MYSTARY nonsense about things the storyteller himself doesn't understand.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I hate to admit it, but was on board with the "It's so mysterious. We've gotta piece everything together!" way of thinking until Dark Souls 2 came out and was super straightforward and it became obvious that the issue was Miyazaki just didn't feel like finishing his writing in the other games.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Vaati was always full on garbo. Even the DS1 videos. It was all regurgitated pull-from-the-ass theories that he read on reddit, the source of 90% of the DS lore circlejerks and fantasmal storytelling about things that don't really make any logical sense. The only value he added was a voice some people fapped to. Nice voice I admit.

The reason why you see a lot of people mention him as decent before but declining now is because the whole DS lore circle jerk declined after DS1 when people realized that From Software never had any real plot direction in their games, that their "we made a real story but deleted parts of it to make the player connect dots and imagine things" were lies. DS2 and DS3 didn't advance the thing in any significant way, for the purpose of plot they were all three.. the same games. Cyclical nonsense with no real basis for why anything really happened.

Demon's Souls lorestuff wasn't per se superior, but it was simpler and made sense. Here, there's an evil demon awakening, why he is awakening, who awakened him, and it's corrupting the land, please kill it. Endings : you either fix the world for good (the kingdom even loses the ability to use soul arts) or become the demon. There's a beginning, an end, a why, motives for everything and everyone in game. No pretentious trash. No "and the furtive pygmy..." no "PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE BECUZ DORK SOUL BUT THEY ALSO END UP ZOMBIES BECAUSE DORK SOUL WIZ NO FIR" no "lol this happened again 2" "lol this happened again 3".
As it happens, DeS didn't spawn a full on circlejerk for its lore. Only the asspull games do.

Dork Souls are gewd action RPGs, good gameplay, but the whole lorejerking surrounding it is absolute garbage driven by people with too much time on their hands (and youtube ad revenue sucking on all that plebbit content). All three DS are the worst thing From ever did on that front.
At this point I'll take simple and stupid storytelling anyday over this whole MYSTARY nonsense about things the storyteller himself doesn't understand.
In one of the pre launch DkS 3 interviews, Miyazaki expressly stated that he knows the overall story/plot of the series but he's never going to reveal it.
Now either he's lying (which I don't think he is because even as vague as the DkS games lore is, it has a certain train of thought, a coherence to it) or it's a real dick move. And as always he goes back to when he was reading comics in English and didn't understand everything and had to use his imagination to fill in the gaps bla bla bla.
However, this is a very poor excuse as for why the lore is so........blurry. In all his time, since he was a kid, he could have learned English and read the comics and understand the story. But when it comes to his games, we as the players will not be able to know the full story, no matter how much we interpret the lore. The comics had a story that could be known, the games have a story that we will never know 100% because he simply........ doesn't want us to.
Imagination doesn't always substitute well for lack of good writing or storytelling.

Fill in the blanks may be described as a lazy/ not for everyone style of storytelling, but I still think it is a legitimate way to tell the story. When viewers/gamers are treated as morons who needs to be explained everything it's a pretty refreshing approach.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bottom line is thank fucking god he leaves it vague because fuck story, it's unimportant and he made gameplay the focus as it always should be in a video GAME.
You make it sound like it's an opposite issue, ie either be story focused or have vague bullcrap pulled from the anus.
DeS wasn't a more story focused game than the DaS but it was rather straightforward and no-nonsense compared to what came later. It also still managed to be heavily atmospheric.

Much of my criticism though comes from the fact that this inspired a legion of people who did focus on the story of a non-story focused game despite it not really showing a coherent story flow at all.

The DaS, for a non-story focused series of ARPG, sure have a fucking legion of people circlejerking about it day and night long. People make a fucking living out of pushing youtube videos about DaS lore ffs.
For every one of you who act like "meh, didn't care that there was a story there anyway" there's 10 jerking it off acting like this is a monument toward storytelling.

it has a certain train of thought, a coherence to it

With what was seen in DS3, the coherence comes from copypasta and buhcyclical.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Much of my criticism though comes from the fact that this inspired a legion of people who did focus on the story of a non-story focused game despite it not really showing a coherent story flow at all.

The DaS, for a non-story focused series of ARPG, sure have a fucking legion of people circlejerking about it day and night long. People make a fucking living out of pushing youtube videos about DaS lore ffs.
These parasites are simply the storyfag virus that infect everything they touch. It is in their nature to do as you said.

Machocruz

Arcane
Kind of disappointed it's yet another fantasy game where a horse is your mount. How mundane. We're past the point where riding a horse in a game is wow. Someone posted a Neverending Story clip. Yes, the bland ass hero rides a horse, but he also upgrades to a dog-dragon. You got a giant rock nigga riding a giant rock scooter. Willy Wonka riding a snail. And Todd Howard on a bat. Can we at least get an eagle, even Tolkien had that and he was the grandmaster of vanilla fantasy.

I'm sure there'll be a dragon or dragons in this game too. But not a dog-dragon. Game developers either imagine too hard, where it gets nonsensical like FF13, or they don't imagine hard enough.

Horses can be cool/powerful in fantasy, as seen in Frazetta art or in pulp novels, but games mostly fail to capture this. The T levels of artists like Rubens and Frazetta, and writers like Robert E. Howard, Karl Edward Wagner, and J.R.R. (who was in a fucking World War, mind you) just have no equal among the game dev set.

Gerrard

Arcane
Bottom line is thank fucking god he leaves it vague because fuck story, it's unimportant and he made gameplay the focus as it always should be in a video GAME.

Story is not unimportant but better vague than retarded like 99% of vidya.
It spawns retards like the DS lorefags, so I have to disagree. I'd rather it be uninspired and straightforward.

Momock

Augur
We're past the point where riding a horse in a game is wow.
No we're not. It's shit or shallow in all of the games that does it, when not downright a buggy mess. And mounted combat is shit or inexistent. The only two exceptions that come to my mind are SotC for the feeling of mounting and directing a horse instead of playing directly as it, but you don't sword fight from it, and Mount and Blade but it's another beast, more simulationist and K&M oriented gameplay and battle only, totally diffrerent from a game where you will ride around the world on your horse and fight bosses with a gamepad.

Can't wait to see how From will pull it off (or if they'll succeed).

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Before you knock the hero riding a horse, remember that Miyazaki is a fan of Berserk.

And that's the real high T way.
Why the fuck would you want transportation when you can just walk/run there.

The only two exceptions that come to my mind are SotC

SotC isn't all that good, you can't even use the sword to figth in horse. Twiligth Princess that came less than a year later did it better.
I would say the best games with horse riding are the AC games (for the acrobatic stunts they let you perform) and MGS5:TPP.

Momock

Augur
SotC isn't all that good, you can't even use the sword to figth in horse. Twiligth Princess that came less than a year later did it better.
That's what I wrote, man! :lol: That's why I also dismissed it.

sulynathan said:
RDR2 says this is wrong. Horses has been done well for years now.
Oh yeah? I didn't know! Tell me more about the mounted swordfights of RDR2. :roll:

sullynathan

Arcane
Oh yeah? I didn't know! Tell me more about the mounted swordfights of RDR2. :roll:
Your response to the tiresome use of horse riding is calling it shit in every game. My response is to that not mounted sword fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom