Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Proceed to argue about the "best" "cyberpunk" "games"

Choose 2 from these 10

• Total voters

grimace

Arcane
10. Anachronox
9. Beneath a Steel Sky
8. Technobabylon
7. VA-11 HALL-A
6. EYE: Divine Cybermancy
5. System Shock 2
4. Watch Dogs 2
3. Blade Runner (1997)
2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

PC Gamer chose their 10 Best. Let's take a poll to see how the Codex will rank these 10.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Voted EYE and Blade Runner. Dreamweb had a cyberpunk atmosphere and was cool af though the story wasnt really around cyberpunk stuff. I also liked Bloodnet and HELL: a cyberpunk thriller when I was a kid but idk if these games are very good today.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Still best FASA Shadowrun computer adaptation.

220px-Shadowrun_%281994%29_Coverart.png

p.s. Pity original list except SS2.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
SS2's ship feels more inspired by Star Trek than anything cyberpunk but it's better than DXHR so I voted for that and EYE.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Voted Deus Ex HR because I do think it's a genuinely good game, and also the story of a "cyber renaissance" and how it would effect society is very well done. Even the simple idea of how a construction worker would have to adapt to a world of cybernetic muscle implants is interesting.

Blade Runner is an amazing film, in my top 5 of all time. The game is very cool, especially for its time, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near my top games of all time.

The recent Shadowrun titles are very good and well written but suffer from small budgets and an iPad engine.

wyes gull

Savant
Flashback. Recently? Brigador was good; Ruiner was ok.
Ed- Voting for Blade Runner tho. Speaking of, Blade Runner imitation (and oft-neglected Kojima game) Snatcher deserves a mention. Could've stood to be more of a detective game and less of a visual novel tho.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Cyberpunk games I can think of (there are probably a load of Japanese ones):

- Syndicate
- Syndicate Wars
- Syndicate (the poorly received reboot)
- System Shock
- System Shock 2
- Deux Ex: Human Revolution
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Deus Ex
- Deux Ex: Invisible War
- Enter the Matrix
- Remember Me
- Technobabylon
- Satellite Reign
- Observer
- Cyberpunk 2077

I've not played them all, but I think Syndicate Wars had a really good soundtrack of fitting dark electro-ambient music.

Lemming42

Arcane
Of the options available, it has to be Deus Ex HR and SS2. Which is annoying, because my top picks would have actually been Deus Ex and System Shock, not their sequels, so it's like the list was specifically designed to piss me off.

grimace

Arcane
Enter the Matrix

With a planned 4th Matrix film will we see a new Matrix video game? Perhaps a Matrix cRPG?

EYE best cyberpunk and best gaem evar

May have well put Deus Ex Human Gangbang

Of the options available, it has to be Deus Ex HR and SS2. Which is annoying, because my top picks would have actually been Deus Ex and System Shock, not their sequels, so it's like the list was specifically designed to piss me off.

This might be some arbitrary dividing line between generations of computer games. It is no longer commercially viable to create games in the old style to sell to the 18 year olds of today.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Voted Deus Ex HR because I do think it's a genuinely good game, and also the story of a "cyber renaissance" and how it would effect society is very well done. Even the simple idea of how a construction worker would have to adapt to a world of cybernetic muscle implants is interesting.
The augmentation conflict is total nonsense, though, as people rioting over prosthetic limbs isn't plausible the way it's presented in the game. It'd be a pretty big hurdle for an average worker to cut off your own limbs, replace them with mechanical ones and become dependent on an expensive drug for the rest of your life, and in most jobs augmentations probably wouldn't be that useful anyway (the game only really makes a case for manual laborers, cops, security personnel and prostitutes). The game actually does a much better job exploring the negative effects of being augmented than the benefits, for example Neuropozyne dependency and the amount of control augmentation companions have over their customers. That's the direction they should've delved further into, but instead they went with the "stop playing God" angle that seemed very forced, especially with that late game twist that undermined a lot of the stuff that came before it.

It's a decent game, but it dropped the ball when trying to paint the big picture. With Mankind Divided they of course got it even more wrong.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The augmentation conflict is total nonsense, though, as people rioting over prosthetic limbs isn't plausible the way it's presented in the game. It'd be a pretty big hurdle for an average worker to cut off your own limbs, replace them with mechanical ones and become dependent on an expensive drug for the rest of your life, and in most jobs augmentations probably wouldn't be that useful anyway (the game only really makes a case for manual laborers, cops, security personnel and prostitutes).

I don't really find it a far-fetched idea that some people would alter their bodies for greater financial or social gain. It wouldn't have to be some massive percentage to have a real impact. Also whether you agree it's realistic or not, I find it a compelling setting for a game of that nature.

grimace

Arcane
I don't really find it a far-fetched idea that some people would alter their bodies for greater financial or social gain.

The severing of your limbs to join back into the financial system is entirely anti-human. The choice of augmenting one's body to receive higher wages was not the choice. The real dilemma of becoming a machine to be employed versus remaining human and not working for a living.

The future of AI and Robots taking human jobs forgets that the humans become more robot-like by merging with machines and AI. That's the horror!
Assimilation

It's a decent game, but it dropped the ball when trying to paint the big picture. With Mankind Divided they of course got it even more wrong.

The story lacked a real multi-sided power struggle like the original Deus Ex. The Nu-Deus Ex game had music, sexy character design, and not much else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom