Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which one was the best game from the last decade, which was done by a Hungarian developer?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gray Matter wasn't made entirely by Hungarian developer. To be specific, the development was started in 2003 by the studio Hungarian Tonuzaba. In 2004, however, production was suspended and only two years later, the German company DTP, revived the project. On April 2, 2008, it was officially announced that Tonzuba had been replaced the French developer Wizarbox with the final release at the beginning of 2010. Nitpicking aside, this is a really overlooked game when it comes to adventure genre and deserves mentioning more often.

I only finished Van Helsing I and II, and they were good hack and slash games. They felt really big compared to older titles in the same genre. There are some interesting builds, and the itemization was solid. I liked the art direction and the ghost companion who is more useful than it seems at the beginning.

Thunder Wolves was another one, smooth shooter that can be finished in one sitting like an old arcade title. Sine Mora was another shooter that stuck with me, although at first hearing hungarian language was refreshing.

Other than that I don't recall playing rest of the games on the list.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gray Matter wasn't made entirely by Hungarian developer. To be specific, the development was started in 2003 by the studio Hungarian Tonuzaba. In 2004, however, production was suspended and only two years later, the German company DTP, revived the project. On April 2, 2008, it was officially announced that Tonzuba had been replaced the French developer Wizarbox with the final release at the beginning of 2010. Nitpicking aside, this is a really overlooked game when it comes to adventure genre and deserves mentioning more often.

I only finished Van Helsing I and II, and they were good hack and slash games. They felt really big compared to older titles in the same genre. There are some interesting builds, and the itemization was solid. I liked the art direction and the ghost companion who is more useful than it seems at the beginning.

Thunder Wolves was another one, smooth shooter that can be finished in one sitting like an old arcade title. Sine Mora was another shooter that stuck with me, although at first hearing hungarian language was refreshing.

Other than that I don't recall playing rest of the games on the list.
Yeah it was strange seeing Gray Matter on that list. To be honest, I didn't really know most of the games here. Van Helsing games are known, the King Arthur games, Warhammer 40K Inquisitor and the Operencia was also discussed on the Codex. Most others are unknown to me.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Voted for Exile Squadron and A Long Road Home. Expect impeachment hearings to begin shortly, J_C.

Also had to vote for The Room because I've actually played it and it's actually fun.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
to be honest, this list is too limited. you should include the 90s, 2000's, and 2010's.

my vote would go to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, originally starting life as Imperium Galactica III before its gameplay scope got radically changed and scaled down.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
to be honest, this list is too limited. you should include the 90s, 2000's, and 2010's.

my vote would go to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, originally starting life as Imperium Galactica III before its gameplay scope got radically changed and scaled down.
Oh it's not my list, I just posted it. The guy who made it wants to know the best game from the 2010s years. So yeah, a lot of great titles are missing from there.

deama

Prophet
What actually are the best hungarian games that were made in 2010s? I basically don't know any of them on that list.
And how do they compare to the more well known titles over here on the codex?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
What actually are the best hungarian games that were made in 2010s? I basically don't know any of them on that list.
And how do they compare to the more well known titles over here on the codex?
Well Operencia is a blobber which was quite well received on the Codex. Warhammer 40K Inquisitor was also discussed a lot, and I think it became a pretty decent game after the updates. Quern – Undying Thoughts is a pretty decent Myst like AFAIK. The Van Helsing series is a good action-RPG. King Artur is a great RPG-strategy hybrid. Heroes VI...well let's not talk about Heroes VI. So yeah, these are the most well known games, which are not bad at all. But not at the level of classics, when it comes to Codex standards.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm, thought Haemimont was also hungarian, turns out they are from Bulgaria. IIRC, those guys that did Codename Panzers series that I liked very much were hungarian.
So not much there besides 2 studios worth mentioning, Neocore with their ARPGs and Zen Studios with their pinball games.

If you really need a winner its Pinball FX series from Zen. Nothing else from Hungary comes close to their reach and popularity.

Also, a bonus from Kickbeat, this is the first level/track in the game, stuck in my head ever since I played it.

deama

Prophet
Hmm, thought Haemimont was also hungarian, turns out they are from Bulgaria. IIRC, those guys that did Codename Panzers series that I liked very much were hungarian.
So not much there besides 2 studios worth mentioning, Neocore with their ARPGs and Zen Studios with their pinball games.

If you really need a winner its Pinball FX series from Zen. Nothing else from Hungary comes close to their reach and popularity.

Also, a bonus from Kickbeat, this is the first level/track in the game, stuck in my head ever since I played it.

Can you use custom tracks in that?

deuxhero

Arcane
I saw Daytona Rush in that poll and looked it up thinking it would be some spiritual successor to the old Sega games.

Even for a shitty mobile game, I'm actually amazed how utterly soul-less this looks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Yes, the Codename Panzers series was done by hungarians. In the 2000s there was a boom of WW2 tank strategy games, and I can pretty much say that Hungary was a major power in those games. We had almost a dozen games, ranging from decent to great.

visions

Arcane
On the topic of Hungarian games, I like Screamer 4x4 and Insane but those were released in 2000. Both are 4x4 games. Screamer 4x4 is more of a simulator with licensed cars, Insane is on the arcade side but has quite good car damage that was represented visually. But since it 's an arcade game, you repair your car with one keypress (still losing time though). It was cool to lose wheels and stuff and see your car getting more beat up as the race progressed.

Screamer 4x4 is slower and more technical, best played in cockpit view. Don't remember any visual damage there.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
On the topic of Hungarian games, I like Screamer 4x4 and Insane but those were released in 2000. Both are 4x4 games. Screamer 4x4 is more of a simulator with licensed cars, Insane is on the arcade side but has quite good car damage that was represented visually. But since it 's an arcade game, you repair your car with one keypress (still losing time though). It was cool to lose wheels and stuff and see your car getting more beat up as the race progressed.

Screamer 4x4 is slower and more technical, best played in cockpit view. Don't remember any visual damage there.
Had them both on disc, they were great indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom