Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For the love of God, CRPG, not CRPG game.

Other than that, good luck. Bought Thesseus during this sale.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think this is a really great choice for a setting. It's an event that had big repercussions for the whole country on the one hand. On the other, it's neighbors fighting people from literally the next town down the road. And there's enough primary source material on it to build a game on but not so much that it would limit your creativity.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will playing as a Theban/Spartan infiltrator be an option?

The player character is a Plataean citizen, but you can become an "inside man" who helps the Peloponnesian League and try to facilitate a surrender or otherwise admit the besiegers. You are definitely not going to be railroaded into playing as a pro-Athenian partisan. Thankfully, Thucydides provides some inspiration for this plot line: later in the siege the Spartans did not want to conquer Plataea by force because if the Plataeans willingly came over/surrendered then Sparta might not need to give up the town during peace negotiations. If the player destroys the grain supplies and/or assassinates certain leaders within the town, I imagine the Peloponnesian League would be very thankful.

Of course, I have not written out the entire story or all the quests and variables, but there is no way I am going to make a game that lacks C&C. I hate games where I am railroaded into serving a particular side.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The player character is a Plataean citizen, but you can become an "inside man" who helps the Peloponnesian League and try to facilitate a surrender or otherwise admit the besiegers. You are definitely not going to be railroaded into playing as a pro-Athenian partisan. Thankfully, Thucydides provides some inspiration for this plot line: later in the siege the Spartans did not want to conquer Plataea by force because if the Plataeans willingly came over/surrendered then Sparta might not need to give up the town during peace negotiations. If the player destroys the grain supplies and/or assassinates certain leaders within the town, I imagine the Peloponnesian League would be very thankful.

Of course, I have not written out the entire story or all the quests and variables, but there is no way I am going to make a game that lacks C&C. I hate games where I am railroaded into serving a particular side.

I don't really find the idea of playing a traitor appealing though. A traitor and a spy/infiltrator are worlds apart.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't really find the idea of playing a traitor appealing though. A traitor and a spy/infiltrator are worlds apart.

Well, I don't want to make the player feel like a lowly person in this story-line. Rather, I want to give the player opportunities to declare himself pro-oligarchy/pro-Sparta, or pro-Boeotian Federation, and then maintain the friendships and/or communication during the siege and ultimately help Sparta and the allies succeed (while avoiding the absolute destruction of Plataea, which is what happened in reality). I don't think it's too difficult to make the Spartans appealing. They tried to reach a compromise early on, and fundamentally speaking they are fighting to liberate the Hellenes from Athenian Imperialism (or so they say). I can even make the Thebans treat the player well if, for example, the player somehow stops the town from executing all the Theban prisoners. Fundamentally, though, I have not considered making the PC anything other than a Plataean by birth, so it is difficult to avoid the label "traitor" except by making him sympathetic to oligarchy or some sort of "Boeotian Federation" nationalist.

Anyway, I do intend to have an option for the player to be a lowly person. Specifically, conspiring with a few others to abandon their post and escape quietly, taking supplies and disappearing through a tunnel or other prison-break tier method.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Made a dungeon and some blobber style movement that transitions to turn based combat on a grid.

BlobberTransition.gif

Now I'm going to work on implementing the Pathfinder 2 OGC rules.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Avatar Very cool, but it might give your players an unintended way of mapping out the dungeon and getting their bearings. I know this is still very early in development, but maybe fog of war would be something for you to keep in mind so the players don't get to see too much when they go into combat.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Implemented the inventory system over the last two days. Way easier than I expected, but I'm not including any complicated features like item splitting/stacking and sorting by type.

JuSuBUk.png

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very useful find! These seem to be all videos which IMO aren't the best format for programming tutorials, but for the art bits they should be useful since when writing art tutorials, people sometimes forget to mention important steps :-/

As i'm a bit of a data hoarder, i started downloading them all :-P. According to other people who already downloaded them, the entire archive is around 205GB. Sadly my external HDD is full (only ~60GB left), so i'll probably put them on an older one until i buy a larger HDD (i'm waiting for 16TB prices to drop). With my current slow connection it'll take 3-4 days though, but i put the art theory stuff (those i'm mostly interested about) at the top of the download list and the programming stuff (those i'm least interested since i know programming) at the end. Judging from comments i saw on Reddit, these archives will most likely find their way on archive.org, though when possible i prefer primary sources (and archive.org's download servers tend to be *very* slow :-P).

paperjack

Literate
I'm gearing up to officially release my first *real* game, called Dumbgeons. Guess what it'll be about.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
These seem to be all videos which IMO aren't the best format for programming tutorials
How so? I downloaded the C++ videos but haven't watched them yet.
Personally, I think text is the best format for programming tutorials. You can read the code and the explanation at your own speed and copy it into your own code if desired, and you can look back quickly if you need to read it again. A video doesn't really add anything, unless you're demonstrating a very specific kind of code (like maybe HLSL) where the results need to be seen in order to be understood.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These seem to be all videos which IMO aren't the best format for programming tutorials
How so? I downloaded the C++ videos but haven't watched them yet.

Programming is mainly done in text form so it is faster to also read the tutorial in text form with the code interspersed with the explanation (so, e.g., no need to fuss with the time controls to re-watch the last 5-6 seconds in case you misheard something - it is also harder to misinterpret something written than something you read - and editing text is much easier than editing video, so less chances for mistakes).

This of course does not apply for programming tasks and environments where there is a significant visual element. For example while it is possible to write a tutorial for writing a GUI-heavy application in Lazarus, doing it as a video would be better. Similarly, when trying to explain graphics algorithms it can be much better to visualize them in a video than in something static like an image (or, god forbid, ASCII art... like some ancient tutorials i was reading back in the 90s :-P). And i can't really imagine making a tutorial for something like Smalltalk in anything *other* than video :-P.

But for many tasks, text is generally easier/faster and even a game has a lot of non-visual elements where text would fit just fine.

Of course if you are making a series (especially on a site where your content is primarily in video form) where you'll have some parts be in video form (like pretty much most things related to graphics, behavior/AI, animation, etc) then it makes sense to have everything in video form for the sake of consistency.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Thanks, Bad Sector and Nathaniel3W. I've read a good share of language books and agree about the pace. I also enjoy seeing ideas are visualized in a video. Pointers in C, for example, finally clicked for me after watching someone drew it (and practicing memory management for days).

curry

Arcane
The Avatar Very cool, but it might give your players an unintended way of mapping out the dungeon and getting their bearings. I know this is still very early in development, but maybe fog of war would be something for you to keep in mind so the players don't get to see too much when they go into combat.

Fixed!
fogofwar.png
What you're doing is very promising. Now make sure you get the graphics right and stay away from that anime crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom