Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Well, it took me a decade, but I finally beat Dragon Age: Origins

Dramart

Learned
Did you play solo? Because Morrigan joins you early in the game.
Her early game is boring, IIRC. Her specialization absolutely fucking sucks. For a main character and probably iconic, how the fuck could they have screwed up shape-shifter so badly. I went through several runs, and I never used her shape-shifting power.
True, but you get her early so you can make her learn nice spells. Maybe like it was the first time playing for the OP, he fucked it up. And the warrior he made must have been either dual weapons or sword and shield, because two-handed warrior with indomitable skill makes you immune to knock down and stun. Yes, shapeshifter was bad, the idea was great, but it wasn't strong enough and you couldn't use spells in that form. I think there are mods that fixed it but I never tried them.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
But then the endgame hit. And it was kind of awful. Instead of exploring ancient ruins fighting cultists and werewolves I was suddenly wandering around noble estates and human cities fighting boring humans. And then I started wandering around those same cities and estates fighting darkspawn (who I'd already had my fill of fighting in the Deep Roads). And then the game thought it would be fun to hit me with boss after boss after boss until it culminated in the final boss battle which was a terrible exercise in tedium.
Sucks to hear. The Landsmeet questline is many people's favorite in the game, including mine.

And did I mention all of the "epic" choices the game forced me to make in the last few hours because it suddenly remembered that it was supposed to be a "serious" fantasy world so a happy ending wouldn't be allowed? Ugh.
You have to have sex with a hot babe so that everyone lives. Oh, the humanity.

Seriously, what's your definition of a happy ending?

Ebonsword

Arcane
And did I mention all of the "epic" choices the game forced me to make in the last few hours because it suddenly remembered that it was supposed to be a "serious" fantasy world so a happy ending wouldn't be allowed? Ugh.
You have to have sex with a hot babe so that everyone lives. Oh, the humanity.

Are you forgetting that having "sex with the hot babe" spawns some potentially malignant elder god?

Besides, I was playing a female PC (since this game was released back when Bioware still allowed you to make attractive women), so I didn't even have that option.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Are you forgetting that having "sex with the hot babe" spawns some potentially malignant elder god?
Morrigan is trustworthy as far as I'm concerned. She knows what she's doing.

Besides, I was playing a female PC (since this game was released back when Bioware still allowed you to make attractive women), so I didn't even have that option.
Getting to peep at Alistair and Morrigan having sex is its own reward.

Ebonsword

Arcane
You have 2 companions who are mages, so you do not need to be a mage. But it has been a while and I do not remember how challenging the solo parts were.

Yes, I had Morrigan, but I kind of let the game control her on my first play through (why create a character if you're just going to control one of the NPCs 90% of the time?). Also, I gave her kind of crappy spell choices the first time around and didn't really customize her AI that effectively.

When I restarted, I had a much better idea of how everything worked.

Which is something I always struggle with with RPGs. I try to avoid spoilers for games so that my first play through can be as "fresh" as possible, but I then I find myself with a gimped party and end up having to restart. :(

Beastro

Arcane
Her early game is boring, IIRC. Her specialization absolutely fucking sucks. For a main character and probably iconic, how the fuck could they have screwed up shape-shifter so badly. I went through several runs, and I never used her shape-shifting power.

That's why you use console commands to reset it to whatever else you want her to be.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

That's why you use console commands to reset it to whatever else you want her to be.
I'm a purist. Irks me to use console commands and most mods that change gameplay. Hell, for some reason, I don't even like using that mod in BG: 1 where it gives you perfect rolls everytime. I literally feel more satisfied rolling all day until I get the desired stat spread.

There are mods that make her shape-shifting powers faster, but the game is already pretty easy. No reason to make it even easier. Plus, as I said, I never used her shapeshifting power once. Her cone of cold, mana clash, and hexes are far too powerful to stop spamming in order to turn into a bear or some shit.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dragon Age was OK. Dragon Age 2 was very special for me because it showed me I was getting older, showed me I actually had limits to the kind of bullshit I was willing to put up with. I dropped it somewhere in like, chapter 3 and never ever looked back.
I preordered it and cancelled my preorder as soon as I played the demo. They went too far making the PC voiced on top of all that stupid flying around "awesome button" combat. No more origins story so you were stuck playing a human with an established storyline. I just think of Origins as a single game. I *might* one day pick up the entire series just to see what happens. I actually liked Morrigan's story arc, so I'm still curious what happened (no spoilers, please).

This was actually a good AAA bridge for a Baldur's Gate-lite experience. Too bad they restructured it for the worst.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm a big fan of DA:O, but have no idea how anyone can stick playing through it as a Warrior. It's so bland and dull compared to Mage or Duel Wield rogue.

Half of the art of enjoying modern RPG's is finding a playstyle which fits. Divinity 2:TDKS, The Technomancer, Dragons Dogma, - just 3 examples which I can think of that are far, far better experiences when you play with a well-tailored build. I loved all 3, but don't think I'd have finished any of them playing as different classes than I did (Battlemage, Rogue, Assasin).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The endings I got in DA:O were perfectly happy. :cool:
i chose to sacrifice myself so that the rest of the series isn't part of my life

I remember playing Fallout 3 and using the friendly super-mutant companion instead of myself to go in and play with the deadly radiation rods or whatever the fuck Spock-The-Greater-Good-and-Kahn thing he did to save the world. Yet my character was still sick in bed from the ordeal for the next DLC as if I had done it. Not only can you not kill these guys, but you can't avoid the nightmarish determinism inherent in the Bethesdaverse. You will go in and wank those rods no matter what. You will always go in and wank those rods. Forever, and ever.

Delterius

Arcane
i chose to sacrifice myself so that the rest of the series isn't part of my life

I remember playing Fallout 3 and using the friendly super-mutant companion instead of myself to go in and play with the deadly radiation rods or whatever the fuck Spock-The-Greater-Good-and-Kahn thing he did to save the world. Yet my character was still sick in bed from the ordeal for the next DLC as if I had done it. Not only can you not kill these guys, but you can't avoid the nightmarish determinism inherent in the Bethesdaverse. You will go in and wank those rods no matter what. You will always go in and wank those rods. Forever, and ever.
Mandatory Rod Wanking.

purupuru

Learned

The BOS girl Sarah on site would also be sent into a coma from a radiation spike should she not enter the purifier herself (she dies if she does enter it), so the main character waking up in a hospital does not imply he did it himself, but rather the opposite. The actual inconsistency with the DLC is that any Lone Wanderer who did wank the rods himeself should really just die like any normal human being would.

hell bovine

Arcane
It was fun enough with a mage. I remember I specced mine into a healer and towards the middle game my healbot could outheal even a dragon chomping on Alistair.

edit: Another thing, though it's been years, so I'm not 100% sure on this. But, with three mages in the party & one tank you could set the ai to rotate between the three level one elemental spells (since they had short cooldowns), resulting in a elemental magic spam the enemies had problems withstanding.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I'm a big fan of DA:O, but have no idea how anyone can stick playing through it as a Warrior. It's so bland and dull compared to Mage or Duel Wield rogue.

Half of the art of enjoying modern RPG's is finding a playstyle which fits. Divinity 2:TDKS, The Technomancer, Dragons Dogma, - just 3 examples which I can think of that are far, far better experiences when you play with a well-tailored build. I loved all 3, but don't think I'd have finished any of them playing as different classes than I did (Battlemage, Rogue, Assasin).

I thought warrior can duel wiled as well and have pretty much the same skill tree as Rogue?

Hassar

Scholar
My favorite party was/is all wizards. I hate that party “role” crap where different members of your group of the same class can’t fill different roles because the designers impose their vision of each character’s capabilities on you.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Thanks OP, you got me in the mood for another DAO playthrough. Spent hours just downloading the mods I want from Nexus.

Falksi

Arcane

I thought warrior can duel wiled as well and have pretty much the same skill tree as Rogue?

Yep, but then you're not playing them as a traditional Warrior are you? :lol: Which is what I'm talking about.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am not sure this fine gentleman knows how to switch to the tactical mode, let alone A.I. scripting, using pause and spells from mage companions (of whom there are 2). Also, Morrigan with her line of curses in the beginning of the game is almost an ideal complement to a melee main.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
e26.jpg

Do you realise that kind of messages can destroy the codex?

SOMEONE STOP THIS GUY PLS

purupuru

Learned

For me dual wield rogue is fun because of the micromanagement (positioning for backstab and setting up stun combo with coup de grace) and the high damage reward that comes with it. A dual wield warrior is, well, basically just a warrior who can't tank as good as a sword and shield one.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
By the way, did anyone get fucked up by Flemeth the first ever playthrough? I was literally thinking this old bitch is no match for my party.
Then she fucking surprised the fuck out of me and turned into a fucking dragon!
:lol:

That was quite surprising. That one, the gong, and the Harvester all took me by surprise because I wasn't ready. Harvester is still one of the funnest battles I've ever had, btw. I'd say someone should play Origins just for that battle. It was really fun.

vota DC

Augur
My favorite party was/is all wizards. I hate that party “role” crap where different members of your group of the same class can’t fill different roles because the designers impose their vision of each character’s capabilities on you.
It Is easy because area of effect magic. MC fighter + dog + Alistair archer + sten + thief wasn't a wise choice after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom