Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
Cheliax is literally Nazi Hell Empire. This is neither a joke nor an exaggeration. Everything is Hell something in there.
From what I've heard of this setting, it sounds like a balls-to-the-wall, over the top kitchen sink mishmash of everything fantasy and not so fantasy ever.
we just don't talk about the 33% of the setting that is truly retarded and pretend its not so stupid after all

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a PnP module conversion, how good or bad it's going to turn out to be is limited by that alone. Is the module worth it? If it is, that's a potential sign the game will at least have that to its advantage. I can ...acquire the PnP module to have a look see, but I don't want to spoil it for myself tbh. While I haven't gotten past Oleg's post in PF:KM yet, the opening castle scene and Oleg's bandit attack are much better than both PoE1 and 2's intros. I think Owlcat had a good idea of converting modules that are beloved/proven to work/"classic", instead of having the chance to totally ruin it like PoE. There are some voices of opposition here against PF:KM, but I've yet to get anywhere with it to judge for myself, so I'm neutral in this matter for now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
>I haven't gotten past Oleg's post in PF:KM yet.

because I haven't played it further, but that's actually not true now that I think about it. I got to the tomb where Tartuccio is and got Linzi, then I went to Old Sycamore and stopped there. The German localization I was using proved to be too much for my then-skills, so I dropped it for now. I might try it again in a few days, we'll see.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Something tells me this is going to pillars 2 in disappointment.

This sentence is interesting, i'm quite sure the game can't turn out as bad as Deadwater but way more people are hyped about Pathfinder so the potential disappointment is stronger ...

because I haven't played it further, but that's actually not true now that I think about it. I got to the tomb where Tartuccio is and got Linzi, then I went to Old Sycamore and stopped there. The German localization I was using proved to be too much for my then-skills, so I dropped it for now. I might try it again in a few days, we'll see.

The first chapter is good if the game is heavily modded.

I use these :
  • TB mod
  • Call of the wild (a lot of new classes, feats, talents, spells ... AMAZING)
  • Eldrich Arcana updated : new classes (like oracle, great subclass : cross-blooded sorcerer *playing this one*), spells, feats, metamagic feats and DRAWBACKS.
  • Bag of tricks ( a lot of QL options)
  • Remove area effect (instantly remove them after battle, works for those you didn't cast as well)
  • Skip intro
  • Cleaner
  • Proper flanking 2
  • Craft magic items (add crafting to the mod manager menu which takes in-game days example : 6 adventuring days for a armor+2 > +3 also cost gold)
  • Fast travel (a must have for the original campaign)

Also, playing the Varnhold campaign (Avelonne's mod ?) it's very linear but so far, i like it better than the OC (didn't get much farther than the trolls crisis in the OC though)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Cheliax is literally Nazi Hell Empire. This is neither a joke nor an exaggeration. Everything is Hell something in there.
From what I've heard of this setting, it sounds like a balls-to-the-wall, over the top kitchen sink mishmash of everything fantasy and not so fantasy ever.
we just don't talk about the 33% of the setting that is truly retarded and pretend its not so stupid after all

Some of Golarion's regions could work as a standalone setting, but arranging them neatly around the Inner Sea is :facepalm: inducing.

It works in Warhammer, because it's Warhammer, but Golarion is a joke which wants to be taken seriously.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Would've been cool if we had gotten a conversion of Chris' PnP module as third DLC instead of the randomly generated dungeons.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm not joking in any way whatsoever when I say that throughout 25 active years of gaming and having an interest in fantasy, Golarion as a whole is the worst setting I've encountered. It is utter garbage. You have to myopically laser-focus on any one single region at any given time and ignore the entirety of the rest of the world as best you can in order for it to make sense in any way whatsoever.

And as has been stated, Cheliax is indeed "satanic nazi caricature: the country". They're not subtle about it.

Cheliax_flag.jpg

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
You have to myopically laser-focus on any one single region
Well, you do not have to myopically apply modern world realities to Golarion. If leaders are not afraid of war, any country has a chance to protect its independence. And such places as Numeria and Cheliax seem to be quite capable of killing unwanting reformers.
Surely, weak spots exist. But, for example, one such a weak spot - the Stolen Lands - is protected by the Fey intervention.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You have to myopically laser-focus on any one single region
Well, you do not have to myopically apply modern world realities to Golarion. If leaders are not afraid of war, any country has a chance to protect its independence. And such places as Numeria and Cheliax seem to be quite capable of killing unwanting reformers.
Surely, weak spots exist. But, for example, one such a weak spot - the Stolen Lands - is protected by the Fey intervention.
What?

It has nothing to do with countries being able to protect themselves. It has to do with the fact that there's printing presses floating around an otherwise medieval society; that the River Kingdoms border a robotic country full of techno-barbarians yet this does nothing to affect it or the other connected countries socially or technologically; that there's a country, Galt, which has been in a state analogous to the French Reign of Terror *for nearly 60 years* without collapsing or suffering intervention, despite several strong and morally questionable neighbors; that there's a flag-waving renaissance/enlightenment country of modern democratism right next to two countries defined by the opposite, one of which is defined by being mired in feudal principles and chivalry.

It's a complete mess and utterly unbelievable to anyone with even a primary school education, and that's before we get into the wakandanesque not!Africa or the necromancy-fueled economy of Geb.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Tell me more about the necromancy fueled economy of Geb.
https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Geb#Economics

I want to stress that this country as a necromantic magocracy has been around since before the current Age, so at the very least almost 5000 years, yet have not spread or even really been a major threat, but the necromantic practices have not spread, despite the obvious advantages and the fact that they have prosperous contacts with others. It's basically the "guilt-free free labor necromancy" meme sometimes attempted by players or as thought experiments, which most settings quickly realize is a huge issue and put principles in place to curtail.

But not Paizo. No, Golarion leans the fuck into it and then simply ignore the implications and would-be consequences.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>so they take the fun bits and fuck away with boring autismo?
Why I never! A setting requires practicalities. Suspension of belief can only be held for so long under scrutiny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom